PDA

View Full Version : Gore-Tex and Health Problems

ridgewalker777
08-08-2005, 18:48
I know we have too many things to fear already, but thought to warn other hikers, probably only the more physically sensitive ones about possible health problems associated with Gore-Tex. Do a quick web-search to find these reports. This is a flourine-based chemical, long known to have negative health effects at certain concentrations and in certain combinations...It is related to Teflon, it never breaks down and causes cancer in rats and other lab animals...It's not like Gore-Tex is something we can do without, in the boots I've worn with it, I have not found it particularly effective in keeping out moisture.

SGT Rock
08-08-2005, 18:52
I know we have too many things to fear already, but thought to warn other hikers, probably only the more physically sensitive ones about possible health problems associated with Gore-Tex. Do a quick web-search to find these reports. This is a flourine-based chemical, long known to have negative health effects at certain concentrations and in certain combinations...It is related to Teflon, it never breaks down and causes cancer in rats and other lab animals...It's not like Gore-Tex is something we can do without, in the boots I've worn with it, I have not found it particularly effective in keeping out moisture.
Wouldn't we have to ingest Goretex for it to cause cancer?

weary
08-08-2005, 19:06
Wouldn't we have to ingest Goretex for it to cause cancer?
Not necessarily. Chewing tobacco causes cancer. But not many swallow it. And the resulting cancer is in the mouth, not the stomach.

In tests on mice, suspected cancer-causing substances often are just painted on the skin.

Weary

Dances with Mice
08-08-2005, 19:19
Not necessarily. Chewing tobacco causes cancer. But not many swallow it. And the resulting cancer is in the mouth, not the stomach.
In tests on mice, suspected cancer-causing substances often are just painted on the skin.WearyAnd the teflon layer within Gore-Tex products is not in skin contact. The teflon membrane is fragile, products containing G-Tex are laminates with the membrane sandwiched between exterior layers of more durable textiles.

SGT Rock
08-08-2005, 19:45
OK, so don't wrap myself in GoreTex membrane and don't chew it.

dougmeredith
08-08-2005, 20:02
OK, so don't wrap myself in GoreTex membrane and don't chew it.
There goes my Friday night...

Doug

stupe
08-08-2005, 22:22
My Mom had a GoreTex implant in her jaw during oral surgery some years ago. She thinks it was temporary. She chewed a fairly tough steak tonight, so I guess she's alright.
Here's a link to an article on the chemicals that many of us are allegedly carrying around- it looks like a BS scare story, but it's from Reuters http://www.smh.com.au/news/health/gen-teflon-unborn-babies-soaked-in-chemicals/2005/07/14/1120934346820.html?oneclick=true
I've heard that teflon, when eaten, passes through mammals with no measurable absorption, but I bet a lot of toxins are put out during the manufacturing process, like with vinyl. I think Dances With Mice is right that it's harmless to wear. I hope so, I really like GoreTex. I even chew on it, occasionally.

DLFrost
08-08-2005, 22:22
I know we have too many things to fear already, but thought to warn other hikers, probably only the more physically sensitive ones about possible health problems associated with Gore-Tex. Do a quick web-search to find these reports. This is a flourine-based chemical, long known to have negative health effects at certain concentrations and in certain combinations...It is related to Teflon, it never breaks down and causes cancer in rats and other lab animals...
Yea, sure it does. Sure. We'z all gonna DIE.

Until there are epidemiological studies that clearly prove that any chemical causes harm, I'm going to assume that any Gowin KillYa talk about it is being pushed by the same human-hating creatures that pushed Alar, terephthalates, chlorine, and all of the other fake scares that have been rained down upon us over the years.

Humph.

Doug Frost

MisterSweetie
08-09-2005, 08:49
I can just see the lab mice in their gortex boots and their gortex rainwear, and their OR Seattle Sombrero.....

bulldog49
08-09-2005, 10:43
This is a flourine-based chemical, long known to have negative health effects at certain concentrations and in certain combinations...It is related to Teflon, it never breaks down and causes cancer in rats and other lab animals...

EVERYTHING is toxic in high enough concentrations. You can cause cancer in lab rats with anything if you bombard their systems with high enough levels. Putting chemicals in liquid form on an animal, where it dissolves into the skin is not the same as wearing it.

Turtle2
08-09-2005, 11:01
I suppose when we are starving out on the trail we shouldn't boil our Gore-Tex boots for nourishment. I'll keep that in mind.