PDA

View Full Version : Week to kill..... Where to go?

RITBlake
09-05-2013, 21:04
I'm changing jobs and I've got a few weeks to burn before my new gig starts up. I'd like to do a 7+ day run on the AT. I'm in NY but jumping in the car or on a plane is doable. What would you do?

I was thinking about the 100 mile wilderness, the last time I did (2005) it was the peak of the black fly season.

hikerboy57
09-05-2013, 21:12
im leaving on sunday for maine, stratton sobo to grafton notch.6 days.
you can pick anywhere from mass to maine. leaves will start changing pretty soon in the north.nh or maine in september is perfect. the bugs are gone, days still warm with cool/cold nights

RITBlake
09-06-2013, 10:08
Thanks for all the great ideas! :confused:

Marmaduke
09-06-2013, 10:32
If you haven't done it yet, Southern Vermont is beautiful and relaxing. Some strenuous climbs, but mostly not too bad. Beautiful scenery and weather this time of year... Plus tons of shelters that are mostly free (other than little rock pond)

rickb
09-06-2013, 12:07
I would check to see what kind of deals were available on a flight to Denver and a rental car, with an eye towards RMNP. Before committing to a final destination, I probably post something here in the hope Mags would chime in.

But if it must be the AT, it's all good.

susiecruise
09-08-2013, 14:37
I'm changing jobs and I've got a few weeks to burn before my new gig starts up. I'd like to do a 7+ day run on the AT. I'm in NY but jumping in the car or on a plane is doable. What would you do?

I was thinking about the 100 mile wilderness, the last time I did (2005) it was the peak of the black fly season.

This time of year...the White Mountains, CT to Mass Upper Goose Pond, any part of Maine... or

the Adironacks, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, the Wind River Mountains WY

Venchka
09-08-2013, 15:42
This time of year...the White Mountains, CT to Mass Upper Goose Pond, any part of Maine... or

A couple weeks ago, Houston-Denver round trips in September were $101. Probably more from the East Coast, but shuttling won't be needed with a rental car. The Big Sandy trailhead is less than a day's drive from Denver International. Mt. Zirkel Wilderness north of Steamboat Springs is closer. RMNP is only 2-3 hours away.
All 3 locations include parts of the CDT. Go West!

Wayne

Venchka
09-08-2013, 15:49

A couple weeks ago, Houston-Denver round trips in September were $101. Probably more from the East Coast, but shuttling won't be needed with a rental car. The Big Sandy trailhead is less than a day's drive from Denver International. Mt. Zirkel Wilderness north of Steamboat Springs is closer. RMNP is only 2-3 hours away.
All 3 locations include parts of the CDT. Go West!

Wayne

Ps: I should explain. Big Sandy, WY is the access point for the southern Wind River Range and Cirque of the Towers. Pinedale, WY and the Green River lakes serve the north end. Cirque of the Towers is the "good" end of the range. IMO.
Wyoming. Colorado. It's all good.

Wayne

susiecruise
09-08-2013, 19:33

Cape Cod, San Juan Islands WA, Virgin Gorda, Dominica

susiecruise
09-08-2013, 19:35
Canyonlands, Organpipe, Mt Mansfield

Tinker
09-08-2013, 21:26
The Long Trail over Camel's Hump, Mt. Mansfield, and north as far as you can get in your allotted time.

Cookerhiker
09-09-2013, 08:47
I would check to see what kind of deals were available on a flight to Denver and a rental car, with an eye towards RMNP. Before committing to a final destination, I probably post something here in the hope Mags would chime in...

I hooked up with Mags last month in Boulder for a pint. Nice to meet in person! Anyway, he mentioned that Rocky Mt. Nat. Park is now requiring bear canisters.

Venchka
09-09-2013, 21:10
I hooked up with Mags last month in Boulder for a pint. Nice to meet in person! Anyway, he mentioned that Rocky Mt. Nat. Park is now requiring bear canisters.

That still leaves a bazillion miles of trails in Colorado and Wyoming that don't. Not sure if they still do it, but the park service provided bear canisters for folks on the Teton Crest Trail. Does RMNP do the same?

Wayne

curtisvowen
09-09-2013, 22:26

Have you thought about hiking through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park?