PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Hammock Idea

jjtrindc
09-05-2013, 21:23
Pictures here: http://goo.gl/M9Cy9O

Other than eating a hotdog poolside, perhaps nothing says summer like connecting with the outdoors. A wildly overfunded Kickstarter project aims to make that experience a bit more magical with a "hammock shelter" that floats in the trees.

Nubé, which has already cleared its fundraising goal by $50,000, claims to insulate campers from "torrential downpours [and] pesky insects, and keeps your gear elevated and protected, allowing you to freely venture in comfort." The shelter is big enough for two people to sleep beneath (one under the other, like bunk–beds), it fits over any hammock, and it can be set up on any kind of terrain, more or less, since it hangs above the ground.

The product was created by Richard Rhett, who saw a need for improvement in the design of camping hammocks while on a medical outreach trip in a remote area of Honduras in 2009. He founded Sierra Madre Research, a camping gear company that donates a portion of its profits to clean water initiatives and is manufacturing the Nubé.

According to the Kickstarter, the designers already have 10 Nubé prototypes, but need capital to cover the first round of manufacturing costs. Incentives that include the Nubé start at $225. Prepare to sleep in the trees.

leaftye
09-05-2013, 22:47
Doesn't seem practical even for car camping. How do you get the highest parts up? I'd need a ladder for that.

oruacat2
09-09-2013, 02:02
I'm having a hard time seeing any advantages over a tarp/bugnet set up (or for that matter, a Clark or Hennessey Hammock).
The gear storage area seems like a solution in search of a problem - though I suppose you could just hang a small, cheapo hammock underneath a tarp/bugnet set up and get the same result.

Hey, I'm all for innovation and thinking outside the box, I just don't see this being a worthwhile upgrade.
Good luck, though.

R1ma
09-09-2013, 13:49
And it's not light.

It weighs just over 1 kg, and doesn't even have a place to sleep! It's a fly/bugnet/gear hammock, NOT a person hammock.
My basic Hennessey setup is marginally lighter, like just a dozen grams or so, but includes a place to sleep...

leaftye
09-09-2013, 20:29
I finally watched the videos. The tree slings don't have to be placed as high as I thought. I have to say I like the way the netting zips in. I've often wished that ground tarps had that. it's a lot of netting though, which is probably why this thing is somewhat heavy.

@R1ma, it does have a place to sleep. It says it can sleep two, but that's for the gear loft too which isn't big or strong enough for an adult. The sleeping section is good for an adult.

Considering a jrb hammock system starts at $289, $350 isn't so bad for this hammock system.

It's still heavy, but it's not like I'd go with a hammock to save weight anyway.

Dogwood
09-09-2013, 22:13
After giving it more thought I'm not going to say it. I wish the designer well. I'm realizing my outdoor and gear ideas may actually be worth something financially.

oruacat2
09-10-2013, 03:28
The shelter is big enough for two people to sleep beneath (one under the other, like bunk-beds), it fits over any hammock,

I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound like any actual hammocks come with it.

leaftye
09-10-2013, 05:20
It looks like the $250 is just the Nube and the gear hammock. I think the gear hammock is integral to the design of the Nube. The $350 version comes with one adult hammock. The $430 version comes with two adult hammock.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/897/650/dcb0fff52c412a46ae2d61d440ea9785_large.png?1378570 877

oruacat2
09-10-2013, 11:51
That's what I thought - I just couldn't find any more specific info one way or the other. :)
So basically the only thing "new" about it is The Bunkbed Feature. lol

Fireonwindcsr
01-11-2015, 21:34
That's what I thought - I just couldn't find any more specific info one way or the other. :)
So basically the only thing "new" about it is The Bunkbed Feature. lol

https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/category/ENOHAMMOCKS.html

great hammocks from $59.00

Damn Yankee
01-11-2015, 22:48
I saw these for sale a year ago. They have a website.

http://www.smrgearme.com/buy-gear/nube

Slo-go'en
01-11-2015, 23:24
Might be good if your doing a canoe or boat trip through the jungle. Or doing a medical outreach thing in Central America, but as a backpackers hammock, not so much.