PDA

View Full Version : Repackaging Mountain House Dinners or using #10 Cans

DandT40
09-06-2013, 10:32
For those that either repackage mountain house dinners or use the #10 cans - what do you put/cook the food in? Can you use just regular freezer grade ziplock bags? I wouldn't put boiling water in a ziplock freezer bag, but it would be pretty hot. Or do you go with a higher grade type bag - http://www.packitgourmet.com/BoilableBags.html? Thanks.

colorado_rob
09-06-2013, 11:09
I repackage all my freeze dried meals into 1 quart freezer bags and they are just fine with fully boiling water.

Rocket Jones
09-06-2013, 11:33
Use Ziplock brand bags, not the no-name or store-brand type. There is a difference is quality and durability.

DandT40
09-06-2013, 11:46
Thanks guys that's good to hear that I can use the Ziplock bags. Thanks.

Slo-go'en
09-06-2013, 11:50
I would only repackage them if your going to be using them soon. For long term storage (more then a week) keep them in the original packaging. You'll also want to get an insulated "cozy" to put the freezer bag into to help keep it hot and "cook" better.

Turk6177
09-06-2013, 12:21
I made a thermal bag out of one of these (http://bolsalista.com/products/smartbag-thermo-reusable-insulated-shopping-bag?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CIuUxs-Wt7kCFa9_QgodWzYAmg) type bags you get from the grocery store. I used hot glue and some velcro for a flap. I put my ziplock bag into that for 10 minutes after I add boiling water. I heard you can also use your sweatshirt. I use the thermal bag as a dry seat when I am not using it for cooking. There is a lot of info on boiler bag cooking.

daddytwosticks
09-06-2013, 13:26
I would only repackage them if your going to be using them soon. For long term storage (more then a week) keep them in the original packaging. You'll also want to get an insulated "cozy" to put the freezer bag into to help keep it hot and "cook" better. I split and re-package the bagged MH meals all the time. As a section hiker, my hiker appetite never seems to kick in. I just keep the split ziplock-packaged meals in the freezer until I'm ready to hike. :)

Another Kevin
09-06-2013, 14:30
I use Ziploc brand freezer bags (I've had a disaster or two where no-name ones have burst, but that's never happened to me with the brand-name.) I've made a homemade bag cozy out of Reflectiix insulation and foil flue tape. (Not duct tape - foil flue tape. It makes a difference.)

It won't hold the heat quite long enough to do real rice. For that I would have to put the simmer attachment on my stove. But it can do instant rice, or instant quinoa, or mashed potatoes, or any kind of pasta that cooks in 8 minutes or less (give it 10-15 minutes in the bag).

I don't care much for almost anything Mountain House offers.

One of my current favorites is Knorr alfredo noodles, Harmony House freeze-dried peas and onions (and maybe broccoli if I feel like it), dried porcini mushrooms from the grocery store, and pouch salmon. Mmmm. I also do my own tomato sauce from tomato powder, diced tomato, carrot, onion, bell pepper, celery (all from Harmony House), dried basil, parsley, oregano, marjoram (all from last year's garden), garlic powder and black pepper. Reconstitute with boiling water, mix in some diced abruzzese sausage, toss in the cooked pasta and sprinkle with grated cheese (http://www.minimus.biz/Pizza-Packet-Parmesan-F01-0771401-1100.aspx).

Feral Bill
09-06-2013, 15:05
I use Ziploc brand freezer bags (I've had a disaster or two where no-name ones have burst, but that's never happened to me with the brand-name.) I've made a homemade bag cozy out of Reflectiix insulation and foil flue tape. (Not duct tape - foil flue tape. It makes a difference.)

It won't hold the heat quite long enough to do real rice. For that I would have to put the simmer attachment on my stove. But it can do instant rice, or instant quinoa, or mashed potatoes, or any kind of pasta that cooks in 8 minutes or less (give it 10-15 minutes in the bag).

I don't care much for almost anything Mountain House offers.

One of my current favorites is Knorr alfredo noodles, Harmony House freeze-dried peas and onions (and maybe broccoli if I feel like it), dried porcini mushrooms from the grocery store, and pouch salmon. Mmmm. I also do my own tomato sauce from tomato powder, diced tomato, carrot, onion, bell pepper, celery (all from Harmony House), dried basil, parsley, oregano, marjoram (all from last year's garden), garlic powder and black pepper. Reconstitute with boiling water, mix in some diced abruzzese sausage, toss in the cooked pasta and sprinkle with grated cheese (http://www.minimus.biz/Pizza-Packet-Parmesan-F01-0771401-1100.aspx). You're making me hungry.

QiWiz
09-06-2013, 15:18
I use a vacuum heat sealer and the bags recommended for that application to repackage MH #10 cans. I use the peas, corn, beef, and chicken in #10 cans to create 4 different combo packs of about 2 oz vegs and 2 oz beef or chicken. For most of my dinners I add one of these packs and olive to a basic carb meal (like rice/pasta sides, instant mashed, cous cous, etc.) for extra veggies and protein and flavor.

dmax
09-19-2013, 23:56
Is a person saving any weight by repackaging and then bringing a cozy on short trips? Why not heat in the bag already provided? ..
i noticed that the weight on a package of MH is not the total weight of the entire package. I should have known that, just didn't register. I figured it out when weighing up some meals to see which ones to eat first. It was only in retrospect....

Rocket Jones
09-20-2013, 06:28
You have to consider the pack-out weight of your trash too. A quart ziploc in your trash bag will be lighter than the MH package and will pack down smaller. That and the fact that your cozy is good for every meal, whereas the MH bag is only good once. Small savings add up.

rmitchell
09-21-2013, 14:44
Is a person saving any weight by repackaging and then bringing a cozy on short trips? Why not heat in the bag already provided? ..
i noticed that the weight on a package of MH is not the total weight of the entire package. I should have known that, just didn't register. I figured it out when weighing up some meals to see which ones to eat first. It was only in retrospect....

I repack Knorr sides because they make too much for me to eat in one sitting. On section hikes my appetite doesn't kick in either. Most of the Mountain House dinners are intended for two persons. Maybe that is why the OP wants to repackage.

ladydi
09-23-2013, 15:29
So, I have quite a stash of Mountain House freeze-dried meals. Some are quite old beyond what is the "best by" date. I would think that they would keep indefinitely with perhaps only losing a bit of flavor and/or texture. :confused: What do you think? I have preferred MH meals because you get more for your money compared to some others. Thanks for any advice.

peakbagger
09-23-2013, 16:16
I had a stash of older MH some several years out of date, they do tend to eventually taste stale. I don't think it will kill anyone but they are less palatable. In am emergency I would eat them but that's about it.

ladydi
09-23-2013, 21:57
I had a stash of older MH some several years out of date, they do tend to eventually taste stale. I don't think it will kill anyone but they are less palatable. In am emergency I would eat them but that's about it.

Thanks for the input. I may contact MH to see what they say. Of course they are in the business of selling more meals, don't you know. :p