PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Springs Hut - Tent sites?

Tim Causa
09-06-2013, 15:10
Hi all.

I normally hammock, and have hiked the SNP a number of times, but I have always walked right past gravel springs and need some help. I somehow managed to convince my girlfriend go to backpacking with me so we're doing a small trip out and back to gravel springs from Jenkins Gap. I'm going to have to set up my copper spur tent, but wanted to see if there are any flat areas or suitable tent sites with fire pits close by at Gravel Springs hut?

Any one have any pictures of information they can share? As a hanger, I never care about this as I just walk until I'm tired, but if I ever want her to come out again I've got to get everything right for this trip!

Cheers-

Thumper

Ktaadn
09-06-2013, 15:18
There is a fire pit in front of the Hut and numerous tent sites all over the place. I spent a night there in June with about 20 thru hikers, 30 boy scouts and a handful of section hikers. It was crowded, but everyone found a place to sleep.

Studlintsean
09-06-2013, 15:25
I have set up my tent numerous times to the left of the spring (their is a trail that leads that way). You should have no issue finding a tent spot. Have you thought about a trip to Jim and Molly Denton? The shelter is relativly close to Rt.55 in Linden (3.1 miles), its reasonable close to Reston (Exit 13 (I believe) for Linden on 66), the shelter is really nice with lots of fire rings/tent sites, good spring, picnic area with grill grate, etc. Even a shower if needed... Just a thought if you have not been before. Either way, enjoy the great weather we are expecting

Tim Causa
09-06-2013, 15:44
Thanks for the info!

Facilities wise, Denton shelter is ideal especially because there is that secluded side site with fire pit to the right as you walk towards the shelter; however, I feel as though I need to take her on a hike where her effort is rewarded with a pretty view such as those on the north and south marshall mountains. If I took her anywhere from 55 to harpers ferry with all of those puds and no views, my guess is it would be a hard sell to do a 2nd trip. Plus, going to gravel springs, we can take the bluff trail back to our car to change the view. I'll tent out at gravel springs, but hopefully not with a boyscout troop!

Cheers!

johnnybgood
09-06-2013, 17:35
My only stay at Gravel Springs I hammocked up the hill to the left ,if you're facing the shelter.
One caveat ; this shelter is a walk in favorite for groups with it's close proximity to the road.

There are tenting possibilities both up the hill and at the gap on the way to the shelter.

Grinder
09-07-2013, 17:10
If you want her to love you forever, rent the cabin. It's cheap, but the timing is everything. The details are on the park service site somewhere. The view from the porch is to die for.
A couple who honeymooned there a long time ago were back for a high number anniversary with children and grandchildren when I was there this spring.

johnnybgood
09-07-2013, 17:55
If you want her to love you forever, rent the cabin. It's cheap, but the timing is everything. The details are on the park service site somewhere. The view from the porch is to die for.
A couple who honeymooned there a long time ago were back for a high number anniversary with children and grandchildren when I was there this spring.

You are thinking of Rock Spring Hut in the central district.

moldy
09-07-2013, 18:31
Plenty of great places to camp here. Of all the places to camp in SNP this is the one place that you need to follow all the bear rules. I s&!t you not.

Tim Causa
09-09-2013, 10:58
trip went well. Tent sites weren't great though... ended up staying in the clearing at the end of the approach road right by bluff trail entrance. The tent sites up the hill were very rocky; this location is much more conducive to hanging than tenting. Thanks everyone for the info.

Grinder, I also think you're speaking of rock springs hut. That place IS excellent with a great view and spring to boot. Have rented it in the past, will do it again.

Cheeers!