wornoutboots
09-06-2013, 23:05
Nice Story!!!

http://www.sunjournal.com/blindAThiker

Rain Man
09-07-2013, 10:31
Nice Story!!!

Got to agree. AND with this too--

"Prior to the White Mountains and Maine, my daily average of miles to hike was between 12 to 15 miles a day. Upon my entrance into the White Mountains and beyond, my daily average dropped to 5 miles a day.

That was certainly my experience, too!

Rain:sunMan

Teacher & Snacktime
09-07-2013, 16:08
Way to go RamSham and AdCane! We met these guys at the Stratton trailhead and were lucky enough to be of some help to them. Keep Hiking Guys!23871

chiefduffy
09-08-2013, 07:17
Great story! Thanks for posting the link. T & S: What's in the little blue bags?

Teacher & Snacktime
09-08-2013, 09:56
Great story! Thanks for posting the link. T & S: What's in the little blue bags?

Are you hiking? Section or thru doesn't matter, as the bags are designed to fit the needs of long-distance hikers. I'm sure we can manage to get one to you if you're heading out....these are Snacktime's Trail Magic Bags, but beyond that I can't tell.

mainebob
09-08-2013, 11:33
I man tell you that those little bags were the most well thought out and useful gifts Sassafras and I were given during our adventure. kaboose

DavidNH
09-08-2013, 12:19
this is definitely an inspiring story. A best selling book should come out of this!

I can't help but wonder though.. if one can't see anything (being blind) and can't hear anything (being deaf) how can their be any pleasure in thru hiking the AT?

Teacher & Snacktime
09-08-2013, 14:00
this is definitely an inspiring story. A best selling book should come out of this!

I can't help but wonder though.. if one can't see anything (being blind) and can't hear anything (being deaf) how can their be any pleasure in thru hiking the AT?

Cane is not completely blind....he has limited (tunnel) vision in one eye. Physical challenge produces endorfins, so there is pleasure in the work. Sights and smells that he can experience are no less poignant for his lack of hearing....maybe more so. All I can say is that when we met him, he seemed very happy.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-08-2013, 16:45
I man tell you that those little bags were the most well thought out and useful gifts Sassafras and I were given during our adventure. kaboose

Thank you, Kaboose. I saw your video where you mentioned the bags and showed it to Snacktime. We're glad you liked them. He worked very hard on them and has given out over 200 so far.

wornoutboots
09-08-2013, 18:54

Read "The Orient Express" a great book about a blind hiker & his dog completing the trail!

johnnybgood
09-08-2013, 20:26

Having a visually impaired daughter, I applaud RamSham and Cane for their tremendous fortitude.

Blind & deaf persons have the same desires to accomplish goals as the rest of us . I believe their daily life challenges help with the perseverance of any hurdle set before them.

wornoutboots
09-08-2013, 22:31
One of the interesting challenges I never thought about while reading "Orient Express" was when on his 1st few days of his hike, he & set his pack down to camel up & lost his pack for a day or 2 & nearly froze to death if it wasn't for the help of fellow backpackers.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-10-2013, 23:49
AdCane, RamSham and Paul are met by ChinMusic in the 100mile Wilderness

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14317 (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14317)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/null_zps2aa61834.jpg

moytoy
09-11-2013, 05:06
I'm glad you posted this T&S. ChinMusic also commented about the way the two helped each other. The deaf hiker would tap on a rock or branch to alert the blind hiker. Sometimes in life we have to find our own pleasures and not everybody will relate. It's just a great story and a meeting that ChinMusic will probably cherish the rest of his life.

ChinMusic
09-11-2013, 22:26
Now that I'm temporarily out of the 100MW, and got wifi, I was going to post that pic here. Thanks Teacher & Snacktime for posting it for me.

As best I can tell they still haven't made it to Katahdin Ironworks Rd as of this evening (9/11). I can't imagine coming down Chairback not being able to fully see. See how well he is protecting himself with pads and helmet. I'm told he has taken some nasty headers.

My hats off to his spirit.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 22:40
Nice answer to David's question Teacher. I met Roni Lepore. He's more aware than you might think. Don't discount his awareness just by examining his physical senses in the context of your own senses.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-12-2013, 00:09
Dogwood....Roni is RamSham, a she....it's AdCane who's both deaf and blind...but yes, he's fully aware. We hung out at the trailhead in Stratton for a while and he was completely cognizant of what was going on around him.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-12-2013, 00:11
Now that I'm temporarily out of the 100MW, and got wifi, I was going to post that pic here. Thanks Teacher & Snacktime for posting it for me.

As best I can tell they still haven't made it to Katahdin Ironworks Rd as of this evening (9/11). I can't imagine coming down Chairback not being able to fully see. See how well he is protecting himself with pads and helmet. I'm told he has taken some nasty headers.

My hats off to his spirit.

I didn't think you'd mind my pirating your journal & pic CM :)

Dogwood
09-12-2013, 00:29
Dogwood....Roni is RamSham, a she....it's AdCane who's both deaf and blind...but yes, he's fully aware. We hung out at the trailhead in Stratton for a while and he was completely cognizant of what was going on around him.

My bad. Yes, I met Roni a she, she's from NJ, and Roger, a he, forget where he's from. Roni is Ramsham and Roger is AdCane. Never was aware of their trail names until now though. He has Usher Syndrome. Did I get it right this time?:confused: Great to see everyone coming together.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-12-2013, 12:15
You got it! I figured you had a senior moment....something with which I'm quite familiar...but I didn't want the wrong info out for others to get confused.

AngryGerman
09-12-2013, 13:23
Awesome story folks. Yet another reason why I ask dreamers to keep dreaming and more importantly, follow through with those dreams. Good luck in the future!

Teacher & Snacktime
09-13-2013, 14:12
Just found this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/dilbretta/posts/10151587588135683?comment_id=26861315&notif_t=like