PDA

View Full Version : 4 days/3 nights loop suggestions

Scout620
09-07-2013, 07:54
I am planning to hike in SNP in mid October.
I'll be driving from Alexandria, VA early Monday AM and would like to hike 60 total miles (+-) starting on Monday and finishing sometime late afternoon on Thurs. I know day light will be shorter in Oct. I prefer to spend most of my day hiking with short breaks, rather than camping. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Ezra
09-07-2013, 08:36
My favorite loop in SNP is the Big Run Loop. Parking at Brown Gap I use the AT, Rocky Top, Big Run Portal, & Big Run Loop Trails. Little bit of everything terrain wise on this loop. Camping along the Big Run is perfect. Good chance you will not see any other people but probably a bear or two. There are reviews of this hike if you google Big Run Loop. This is only a one day hike...not sure if you are looking for different loops or one big 4 day loop.

johnnybgood
09-07-2013, 09:13
Since the park is a linear one, many trails can be combined by using the AT as the bridge to connect them.

Buy the parks section map set at the entrance to the park and begin weaving together your 4 day hike .

Scout620
09-07-2013, 18:57
My favorite loop in SNP is the Big Run Loop. Parking at Brown Gap I use the AT, Rocky Top, Big Run Portal, & Big Run Loop Trails. Little bit of everything terrain wise on this loop. Camping along the Big Run is perfect. Good chance you will not see any other people but probably a bear or two. There are reviews of this hike if you google Big Run Loop. This is only a one day hike...not sure if you are looking for different loops or one big 4 day loop.Thanks Ezra, sounds great!

Scout620
09-07-2013, 18:59
Since the park is a linear one, many trails can be combined by using the AT as the bridge to connect them.

Buy the parks section map set at the entrance to the park and begin weaving together your 4 day hike .Thanks for quick response! I just reviewed and ordered a set of maps!

saltysack
11-24-2013, 19:09
I'm also planning to spend a few days in snp in jan...would also like to around 40+ miles with my dog. Any suggestions? Microspikes needed?

johnnybgood
11-24-2013, 19:47
I'm also planning to spend a few days in snp in jan...would also like to around 40+ miles with my dog. Any suggestions? Microspikes needed?

My experience with winter hiking in Shenandoah, especially in January is it can be frozen ice on the trail but no snow or it could be 3 feet of snow with 6 foot snow drifts. You likely will see something in between those two. January is a snowstorm producing month, so bring the microspikes, the snowshoes and be prepared for any and all conditions. If you do bring a dog with you, just remember it could be temperatures well below freezing and accumulating snow to several feet on the ridgelines. I hope you bring him doggie paw warmers and an insulating coat . A 40 mile hike should be well thought out in advance, with alternative plans in case the weather changes for the worse. Take a legit 10 degree bag for sure, stay tuned to the 3 day forecast and prepare accordingly before heading out.