PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone completed the AT and Long Trail in one hike

justusryans
08-08-2005, 19:54
We are thinking about hiking the AT to Vermont and when the AT veers off the Long Trail just continuing on and completing the Long Trail and then come back down and continue and finish the AT. If anyone has done this and has any ideas about extra time we need to complete this, any other concerns we need to take into consideration I would appreciate hearing your views. I just think it's a cool idea.:jump

MOWGLI
08-08-2005, 20:23
I'm absolutely certain folks have done it. Its less than 200 miles more to the trip. If you're gonna do the AT and the LT, why not throw in the Cohos Trail too? http://www.cohostrail.org/

Now that would be a cool trifecta.

Sly
08-08-2005, 22:24
I know a guy that hiked Springer to Katahdin, turned around and hiked Katahdin to Gorham, then the northern part of the Long Trail, approximately the mileage of the PCT he was hiked the year after.

clamotte
08-09-2005, 00:45
I'm almost positive that Early Bird did it this season.

Nean
08-09-2005, 00:57
I remember it being done too, but can you really say you did 2 trails if you do southern Vermont once?

Cookerhiker
08-09-2005, 06:32
Last year, Wildcat thru-hiked the AT, finishing in mid-August. He turned around, hiked back through the 100 mile wilderness, then got rides to Vermont where he began the LT. He hiked as far as Smugglers Notch and had plenty of time to complete the LT but ended his hike because his wife was meeting him at Stowe. By the way, he's now halfway through the PCT.

Hammock Hanger
08-09-2005, 08:12
We are thinking about hiking the AT to Vermont and when the AT veers off the Long Trail just continuing on and completing the Long Trail and then come back down and continue and finish the AT. If anyone has done this and has any ideas about extra time we need to complete this, any other concerns we need to take into consideration I would appreciate hearing your views. I just think it's a cool idea.:jump
I can't remember who but I know a couple of hikers who did just that in 2002.

They hiked the remainder of the LT and then reconneted with the AT back at the Inn @ Long Trails and finished the AT. Twofers are good.

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2005, 16:31
I know several folks who've done it, tho Nean is correct in saying that if these folks truly want to be honest about thru-hiking both Trails, they'd have to do the southern Vermont miles twice. I'm not sure anyone has ever done this in one season, tho it wouldn't surprise me overmuch if they had.

Bankrobber
08-09-2005, 16:52
I remember a guy named Flash did it in 2003. Never met him. Skid, a triple crown hiker who does not mess around on the internet forums much, talked about hiking from Katahdin to the Vermont/Quebec border. The great northern horseshoe. Sounds like it would be a great trip, especially if one started in the Gaspe.

justusryans
08-10-2005, 16:40
I'm not interested in doing this for recognition, I did my first hiking in Vermont on the Long Trail and I want to share it with my wife. My first hike was up Mt. Mansfield.
My concerns were that the extra miles would get in the way of our thruhike. We're planning on a early March start but might have to put it off till the end of March. So... how much extra time should we allow? We are "average" hikers.

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2005, 16:56
The Long Trail is 272 miles long. Less the part that is also the AT (around 105 miles from the Southern Terminus of the AT which is also the MA/VT border) this leaves you with just over 165 miles from Maine Junction to the canadian border, give or take. Most folks take 22-30 days to hike the whole LT; asuming you're in good shape, and are capable of making 12-17 miles per day, it should take you between 10 and 17 days to finish up; my guess is you'll do it in just under two weeks. For more info on extended trips on the Long Trail, see www.greenmountainclub.org

A-Train
08-10-2005, 17:26
I hiked the southern LT on my AT thru-hike, then went back last yr and re-hiked the first 100 miles. I'll finish the last 170 this september. I'm NOT hiking the southern portion a 3rd time just to say I thru-hiked. I don't have the time and the section just isn't that spectacular. So I'll be an LT hiker, but not a thru-hiker.

Sly
08-10-2005, 18:15
I hiked the southern LT on my AT thru-hike, then went back last yr and re-hiked the first 100 miles. I'll finish the last 170 this september. I'm NOT hiking the southern portion a 3rd time just to say I thru-hiked. I don't have the time and the section just isn't that spectacular. So I'll be an LT hiker, but not a thru-hiker.

According to the Green Mountain Club you'll be an End-to-Ender.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=106

End-to-End Certification

Become a certified Long Trail End-to-Ender! Follow the steps below and you will receive a certificate, End-to-End patch and GMC patch (free, unless you want to buy extra!).

Who counts as an End-to-Ender? Anyone who has thru-hiked the trail OR section hiked the trail!

What to do:

1. Download the End-to-End application and fill it out completely and legibly!

2. Copy your hike journal or summary. (Pictures are welcome but not required!)

3. Mail both to: Green Mountain Club End-to-End Certification; 4711 Waterbury-Stowe Rd; Waterbury Center, VT 05677

It's that easy! The toughest part will be waiting for us to mail your certificate and patches to you. This does take us a while, as we enjoy reading everyone’s journal. The average turn-around time is 2 months.

I think they also give you a years membership in the GMC.

Cookerhiker
08-10-2005, 20:16
According to the Green Mountain Club you'll be an End-to-Ender.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=106

End-to-End Certification

Become a certified Long Trail End-to-Ender! Follow the steps below and you will receive a certificate, End-to-End patch and GMC patch (free, unless you want to buy extra!).

Who counts as an End-to-Ender? Anyone who has thru-hiked the trail OR section hiked the trail!

What to do:

1. Download the End-to-End application and fill it out completely and legibly!

2. Copy your hike journal or summary. (Pictures are welcome but not required!)

3. Mail both to: Green Mountain Club End-to-End Certification; 4711 Waterbury-Stowe Rd; Waterbury Center, VT 05677

It's that easy! The toughest part will be waiting for us to mail your certificate and patches to you. This does take us a while, as we enjoy reading everyone’s journal. The average turn-around time is 2 months.

I think they also give you a years membership in the GMC.
Hmm, since I finished the LT in 1981 without ever applying for the certificate/patch, maybe now I will. I wonder what their record is for the gap between completion and "official" recognition.:o

Mags
08-11-2005, 14:16
Hmm, since I finished the LT in 1981 without ever applying for the certificate/patch, maybe now I will. I wonder what their record is for the gap between completion and "official" recognition.:o

I did it again in 1999..never did bother applying for official reoncongition. I'll have to wait until 2024 to beat your record. ;)

In all seriousness, the northern LT is great. I'd love to do it for a third time during a New England fall!

Ender
08-11-2005, 15:27
I remember it being done too, but can you really say you did 2 trails if you do southern Vermont once?

Um... is this really a concern? You did both trails, even if they did overlap. And besides, who really gives a flying...

justusryans
08-14-2005, 13:53
The Long Trail is 272 miles long. Less the part that is also the AT (around 105 miles from the Southern Terminus of the AT which is also the MA/VT border) this leaves you with just over 165 miles from Maine Junction to the canadian border, give or take. Most folks take 22-30 days to hike the whole LT; asuming you're in good shape, and are capable of making 12-17 miles per day, it should take you between 10 and 17 days to finish up; my guess is you'll do it in just under two weeks. For more info on extended trips on the Long Trail, see www.greenmountainclub.org (http://www.greenmountainclub.org)
Thanks Jack, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I appreciate the info.

Traction
08-18-2005, 22:57
Clamotte is right.. EarlyBird did it this year.