PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a tent

slow mind
09-08-2013, 10:27
Well even though I know better I left my tent in it's stuff sack wet for too long after my last trip. There is quite the happy little comunity of mold thriving in there now. Buildable lots by the zipper are selling for 90 grand a pop!

It's sil nylon, any advice on cleaning it? The moldy bug netting could be tough to clean. Washing machine????

max patch
09-08-2013, 11:12
I would never put a tent in a washing machine. Bathtub would be better.

This is what REI says:

Removing Mildew

Mildew can develop any time your tent is stored wet. It looks bad, smells bad and can damage your tent's waterproof coatings. Don't let it start.

Alas, if it already exists, here's what to do:

Try some light scrubbing with a sponge.
If mildew is still apparent, mix 1 oz. of MiraZyme® (or similar product) to 20 gallons of water in a bathtub and dip the whole tent.(Note: Lysol® also works, but its scent is attractive to bugs and critters and is thus not recommended).
For spot treatment, use 0.5 oz. of MiraZyme® (or similar product) per 1 gallon of water and thoroughly scrub afflicted areas by sponge.
Set up the tent in a shaded spot and allow it to air dry.
Then, mix 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of concentrated lemon juice with 1 gallon of hot water. Rub solution into the visible mildew and, again, allow the tent to dry.
This procedure will stop mildew growth and eliminate the odor (including food odors), but it will never remove the stain.

Franco
09-08-2013, 19:40
Slow Mind,
Does your silnylon tent have a PU coat on the underside ?(if so it will probably be factory taped,it will feel somewhat rubbery)
I ask this because I have not seen reports of mildew before on non PU coated silnylon tents.

Too long. Weeks , months ?

BTW, to start you could try just sponging with warm soapy water (soap not detegent)

stranger
09-08-2013, 20:22
50/50 blend of warm water and lemon juice...it will kill the mould but won't remove it

slow mind
09-08-2013, 22:28
Thanks everyone. I think the wet snickers wrapper covered in melted chocolate didn't help the matter any. I was hoping there was a better answer than "elbow grease" I'll have at cleaning it tomorrow. I am longing for a camo Lightheart so maybe this will be the push I need to order one.