PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have this problem

bangorme
09-08-2013, 10:39
I'm planning on doing the 100 mile wilderness this fall, but I've got a problem... I can't eat! I get to the second day of the trip and I'm nauseated at the sight of trail mix, jerky, candy bars, fruit... almost anything. I tend to sweat a lot, so I'm thinking it's either a dehydration problem, or an electrolyte problem. Three days I can tough out, but 7 will be problematic. Any ideas?

Symba
09-08-2013, 11:38
I had this issue a few years back when I went out for two weeks. The first three days I ate nothing, no hunger. I changed things up this past section hike and ate well! Drink, drink, drink a lot of water; I drank a quart of water to every three miles backpacked. I figured it was nerves that caused me not to eat. There is something that will help with the eating issue but not yet a medicine allowed in certain states; it helped me with nausea, fatigue, and all around eating issues were eliminated. Your engine needs more than water, so try to put in that Mio stuff or other additives to your water to help with vitamins. I also took multi vitamins to combat my issue just in case I couldn't eat again. Is there a food you cannot resist? I cannot resist mac n cheese with salmon in it; so eating resulted in fuel for my engine. I'm rambling now...I hope many chime in on having this issue too.

Slo-go'en
09-08-2013, 12:12
Not being very hungry the first few days out is pretty common. Most of us have more then enough fat to burn off first. But then, not being very hungry and actually being nauseated by food are two different things. Maybe drinking more water will help.

magic_game03
09-08-2013, 12:19
Bangorme, not everyone experiences this but I sure did. Mostly has to do with being out of shape or altitude sickness, both are due to overexertion. It's rough not eating even if you're over weight and your body doesn't need the calories it still likes to follow a natural process of digesting food (all that stomach acid just sitting around waiting to digest but your gut says I can't swallow anything.) Anyway, if you're in the same shape as last time just focus on a few tasty snacks and cut back on a full dinner or so. When you get to camp take just one bite of the tasty snack but don't eat it, savor it in the pouch of your mouth for a while (10-15 minutes).

Also Symba mentions drinking lots of water but IMO you should cut back on drinking LOTS of water. You need replenishment but take small sips. Too much water will throw your body out of wack and then you just end up tossing a lot of fluid.

I'm no doctor but this is how I dealt with this problem.

P.S. Stay away from heavy or hard to digest food like pasta and beef jerky. Something like a PB&J works great.

mtnkngxt
09-08-2013, 12:58
I'm in good shape overall, but I still deal with the loss of hunger thing on occasion. I try to drink at least 3-4 liters of water a day, and then eat regularly regardless of the amount. My body will tell me when it wants more calories at each meal.

Breakfast is typically Poptarts and a Snickers Bar, lunch is typically a protein bar and a cliff bar, and then dinner is a Hawk's Vittles meal of some sort, Bag of M&Ms and Hot Chocolate.

Some days during the beginning of a hike I won't eat 1/3rd of the food, but it usually all gone by the end of my section

max patch
09-08-2013, 13:01
I'm no doctor but I believe this problem will solve itself in a few days. Until then, drink water with gatorade (or whatever).

Symba
09-08-2013, 13:36
If you are noxious, like mentioned as a correction to my comments, sip water; try to get it with electrolytes in it. I remember gulping down lots of water and puking it all up in a nasty warm flow of awesomeness.

Bronk
09-08-2013, 14:09
Try taking some real food. Just because you're camping doesn't mean all you can eat is trail mix.

magic_game03
09-08-2013, 14:22
Sorry Symba, just so you know I wasn't trying to call you out in any way. You actually make a really good point on your repost. Puking. I didn't want to drag my post out into a essay but puking is a great way to get something down afterwards. I do it a lot, it's (as Symba says) awesome. also, +1 on the gatorade and +1 on the real food as before mentioned and I also agree with MP that this usually goes away if you're out long enough.

BirdBrain
09-08-2013, 14:44
I'm planning on doing the 100 mile wilderness this fall, but I've got a problem... I can't eat! I get to the second day of the trip and I'm nauseated at the sight of trail mix, jerky, candy bars, fruit... almost anything. I tend to sweat a lot, so I'm thinking it's either a dehydration problem, or an electrolyte problem. Three days I can tough out, but 7 will be problematic. Any ideas?

I had the same issue going into the 100-mile-wilderness this year. I ended up giving a lot of food away to others who did not pack enough. It all worked out. By the time I got to Moxie Lake the hunger was in full gear. I did have to change my menu in Monson. I love plain oatmeal at home. It tasted like chalk on the trail. Be prepared to be flexible. The trail will show you what you need to do. You will be fine.

Symba
09-08-2013, 14:45
It's all good, I'm easy going. Here-here to the great information we brought forward to this post. It is a weird happenstance when we hike hard and then cannot eat.

Symba
09-08-2013, 14:46
BTW, after three days I wanted a cheeseburger deluxe. My friend said "just one?" LOL.

bangorme
09-08-2013, 14:57
Try taking some real food. Just because you're camping doesn't mean all you can eat is trail mix.

Lots of good ideas here so far. I couldn't even finish an apple (a real luxury for me to pack in there). I'm thinking maybe some banana chips might be good. I see a lot of tennis players eating a banana during matches. I like real food, but it's heavy. Maybe crackers?

Malto
09-08-2013, 14:59
I used to have this problem on most of my aggressive high elevation trips in the Sierra. I believe in my case it was a combination of the physical exertion combined with altitude. It became such a problem that it was significantly limiting my daily mileage, more so than physical conditioning. Someone suggested drinking in the calories with a product such as Hammer Perpetuem. I tried this and it was game changing. Now I drink in over half of my calories with a homemade version of Perpeteum which is nothing more than Maltodextrin and electrolytes. Since that conversion I have drank over 100 lbs of my Malto mix, over 200,000 calories. It has completely eliminated being able to consume calories on trips. Don't want to do Malto? Try Koolaid. It will be functionally the same, just continuously drink 200-300 calories per hour.

Drybones
09-08-2013, 15:21
I never have an appetite the first three days or so, after a week I could eat road kill. I try to take things that taste good and I like to eat for the first few days. Take food just because it's lightweight or good for you and it stays in the bag and never gets eaten.

off-pher
09-08-2013, 15:35
I normaly have problems eating the first day or so
i fixed this by bring a steak a nice ribeye. Nothing
smells better that a steak cooking over a oak
or hickory fire. I also bring BACON for breakfast
it's so so good!!! this will work if you are not a vegan!!!

Wise Old Owl
09-08-2013, 15:46
I thought that was normal - I don't see this as a problem, just keep drinking and small snacks during the day... don't take gorp - take something else... like pop tarts.

daddytwosticks
09-08-2013, 15:55
Same problems as the OP, but I don't get sick. Chalked it up to heavy exercise. I drink tons of water when I hike (heavy sweater also), so it's not dehydration. I have a good appetite for breakfast and in the morning in general. As the hiking day progresses, my appetite goes away. I just try to eat many small snacks of things I know I'll like and eat a lightish dinner in the evening. :)

McPick
09-08-2013, 20:16
Guys... (Gals) grab some Propel dry packets to add to your water. (I love the lemon flavor but there are others.) Lightweight, delicious and full of good stuff. Tried Gatorade during my 2006 thru and it was fine... Then I discovered Propel. Never looked back. Still use it. Check it out... http://www.propelzero.com/#

Malto
09-08-2013, 21:31
Guys... (Gals) grab some Propel dry packets to add to your water. (I love the lemon flavor but there are others.) Lightweight, delicious and full of good stuff. Tried Gatorade during my 2006 thru and it was fine... Then I discovered Propel. Never looked back. Still use it. Check it out... http://www.propelzero.com/#

The only problem is this provides zero energy, zero calories.

MuddyWaters
09-08-2013, 22:48
I'm planning on doing the 100 mile wilderness this fall, but I've got a problem... I can't eat! I get to the second day of the trip and I'm nauseated at the sight of trail mix, jerky, candy bars, fruit... almost anything.

Then your pack should be light. You wont need food for the first few days.

ScottishLass
09-09-2013, 18:59
Bangor,,,I'll share with you my recipe for "cookies" that will give you energy and taste good. And they aren't full of preservatives. And they're light and easy to carry.

Mash 2 ripe bananas.
Add 1 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1 cup oats (maybe more), 1/2 cup protein powder.
Add "extras":vanilla, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, chopped nuts, coconut.
You can add sugar if you want it.
Refrigerate about 15 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment baking paper.
Bake at 350 degrees about 20-30 minutes.

bangorme
09-09-2013, 20:53
Bangor,,,I'll share with you my recipe for "cookies" that will give you energy and taste good...

Those sound good! Do they keep well?

quasarr
09-09-2013, 20:56
It might help to start out eating bland, salty foods. Instant mashed potatoes and those packs of 6 crackers are great to fill your stomach without upsetting it.

bangorme
09-09-2013, 21:05
It might help to start out eating bland, salty foods. Instant mashed potatoes and those packs of 6 crackers are great to fill your stomach without upsetting it.

That's funny, because the first night I ate a freezer-bag meal of instant potatoes and chicken (packet). That tasted good. The hot meals I can eat, it's everything else I can't stomach. I am going to try crackers next time though.

ScottishLass
09-10-2013, 08:34
Those sound good! Do they keep well?

They'll be fine for a week in the wilderness in autumn. Because there are no preservatives, they might not keep for a week in Georgia in the summer. If you make these I'd love to hear what you think of them. Good luck!

Drybones
09-10-2013, 08:52
That's funny, because the first night I ate a freezer-bag meal of instant potatoes and chicken (packet). That tasted good. The hot meals I can eat, it's everything else I can't stomach. I am going to try crackers next time though.

It's interesting what our stomachs can tolerate sometimes, the altitude in the Rockies killed my appetite more than normal (gas, gas and more gas) and the only thing that went down well for breakfast was Slim Jims...not my typical breakfast.

TrippLite
09-10-2013, 19:02
Give these a shot...
Bag of peppermint candy and a container of HONEY
Should help suppress the nausea, quick energy

daddytwosticks
09-11-2013, 07:22
Give these a shot...
Bag of peppermint candy and a container of HONEY
Should help suppress the nausea, quick energy Wish I liked honey. Seems like an awesome hiker food. :)

AngryGerman
09-11-2013, 23:19
I've experienced this very thing once or twice OP. You must stay hydrated utilizing a good mix of electrolyte to water balance. If you can't eat, drink water and replace those electrolyte and punch yourself in the gut; just kidding about the gut punch! Seriously, give it a try; others have mentioned this before and this works for me every time. Hey, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink the water now can you?!