PDA

View Full Version : The Great Bra Search Is Over

scooterdogma
09-09-2013, 06:45
Ok, I have found the perfect bra, finally, for hiking the AT. Backstory, I have tried several kinds, i.e. front snap, back snap, sports bras, cool max bras. You name it and I have tried it. My problems with all of them revolved around the ability to wick, dry fast and BE EASY to take off in my sleeping bag in a modest way (think crowded shelter in a downpour). Most of them met the first criteria but were a pain to get off from inside a zipped sleeping bag. Some met the EASY test, but couldn't perform in the wick or dry criteria. Enter the zip-front sports bra by Hanes... perfect and on sale for under 14 bucks. Nirvana!

I ordered the large and extra large to try 'em out. The Ex Large measures in at 38" band width and the Large is 36". Doesn't come in cup sizes because it is more like a sports bra than a regular bra;

Zip front closure for easy dressing and better fit..easy on and off
Molded cups minimize movements and give support...not the usual una-boobs from regular sports bras
V-neck bra is attractive and keeps you well covered, great for v-neck shirts
Compression support lets you go about your active movements worry free
Moisture control fabric keeps you cool and dry
Thick racer back straps stay in place comfortably and let you move up the trail without the straps slipping
Fabric: Nylon/spandex Not the heaviest fabric, but not flimsy either :)
Care: Hand wash, tumble dry

I intend to swim in this bra also. I tried it out at a friends pool this weekend, worked like a regular swim top and dried out quickly. This one's for me! Ok, I know I went a little overboard on my enthusiasm, but I have been looking for over six years for the best hiking bra for me. Who knew they made zip-front bras .... I didn't. Good luck ladies, stay comfortable out there.

http://www.sears.com/hanes-zip-front-sports-bra/p-018J0079000P?sid=IMx20130828x00500-ProductViewers&kpid=01882963458&kispla=018J0079000P

QHShowoman
09-09-2013, 09:02
I'd be interested to know if the zip front causes any chafing after a couple of days of sweaty, vigorous hiking.

scooterdogma
09-09-2013, 12:20
I'll let you know, so far on sweaty day hikes it hasn't been a problem. The zipper has an inner cover, very well made product.

illabelle
09-09-2013, 14:06
After reading several of the reviews at the link provided in the OP, I see that they are mostly positive, but there appear to be real concerns about a perceived lack of support with this product. I ran out to Sears during lunch today to check the product out...

I bought a black one, and I'll try it out in a couple weeks. Sears had them available in white, black, and pink.

There is a flap under the zipper that should prevent any chafing.

I wouldn't describe this as having "molded cups." It is a seamed cup, so there is some shaping incorporated. The primary feature I was looking for is enough structure to avoid the uniboob problem. For those that may not understand, the uniboob issue isn't just appearance. For me, it's about separation. Without separation, I develop a hot uncomfortable rash. I'm looking for a bra that can fix this problem, still be comfortable and quick to dry, and provide adequate coverage. So now I'm wondering if maybe the flap could help.

scooterdogma
09-10-2013, 06:35
Yep, I agree with illabelle about the "molded cups". The separation is more in between a regular bra and a sports bra. It's a hybrid, lol.

Another Kevin
09-10-2013, 08:34
Sorry for posting in a women's forum, but I just wanted to pass along thanks for the pointer from my (non-hiker) wife. She's been having trouble doing up bras (other than the "surgical appliance" ones, which had troubles of their own) ever since her heart surgery this spring. These things appear to be just the ticket.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if it crosses the line.

marshbirder
09-10-2013, 09:42
Perfect timing. As I was leaving the gym yesterday, I was wondering what kind of bra I could use for a thru. The uniboob sweat issue was really bothering me and I felt so gross (sorry, TMI).

Butterfly58
09-10-2013, 10:26
Great info.! I was looking to see if they had it at my Sears and they don't. :( So I went searching online and found tons of different styles and brands of zip-front bras on Amazon. Who knew? There is one by Under Armour and one by Champion that are described as "tech" material. And some are made for larger cup sizes. Just thought I'd pass this on in case the Hanes one doesn't work out for others.

scooterdogma
09-10-2013, 11:53
Sorry for posting in a women's forum, but I just wanted to pass along thanks for the pointer from my (non-hiker) wife. She's been having trouble doing up bras (other than the "surgical appliance" ones, which had troubles of their own) ever since her heart surgery this spring. These things appear to be just the ticket.

Glad we could help A.K., hope it works for your wife, good luck with her recovery

two isles
09-10-2013, 12:39
Thank you!!

The best I could find last year was the one by EMS.
It did very well on the trail.
But now, it is running a little tight.

illabelle
09-10-2013, 13:43
Great info.! I was looking to see if they had it at my Sears and they don't. :(

I didn't see it at Sears either - at first. There was a sports/athletic clothing section downstairs that had several sports bras on display. I looked and looked, but couldn't find this product and was thinking I would have to walk out empty-handed. Instead I asked an associate, who pointed me upstairs to the lingerie department. There they were. So don't give up if you don't see them. Ask. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
09-10-2013, 14:54

Oh Kelvin....why would we want to delete you? You're probably one of the few guys on the planet who could sincerely contribute to a discussion of uniboobs vs separation and have something intelligent to say!

Butterfly58
09-10-2013, 18:43
I didn't see it at Sears either - at first. There was a sports/athletic clothing section downstairs that had several sports bras on display. I looked and looked, but couldn't find this product and was thinking I would have to walk out empty-handed. Instead I asked an associate, who pointed me upstairs to the lingerie department. There they were. So don't give up if you don't see them. Ask. :)

Actually I didn't go in the store. I checked it out online and there was a feature on the website that you could check to find out which stores carry it. The closest one is 45 minutes away. So I think I'm going to order it online. I'm wondering if this bra is being discontinued. I couldn't find it anywhere else online, including the actual Hanes website. Maybe I'll order 2! I can always return them if they don't fit.

WeShallSee
09-10-2013, 21:48
I just ordered two on line because they are on sale just this week. I hope this will solve my problem finding a good bra. Thanks so much for the post.

Ewok11
09-10-2013, 23:18
I will definitely be checking these out. If it works, it will save hundreds of dollars spent/wasted on UA brand bras since they are the best thing I've found so far. I abhor the uniboob and hate trying to squish my not so small ladies in most sports bras.

illabelle
09-12-2013, 06:17
Bought a black one of these bras a couple days ago intending to try it out on a short section hike later this month. Decided I couldn't wait that long, so I tried it out for a few hours yesterday just around the house. While the bra is better than many of the sports bras I've tried in the past, it DOES NOT solve the sweat/heat rash problem! I had hoped that the flap under the zipper could be used as a "separator", but it was disappointing in that role.

However, I did have a perhaps slightly brilliant moment of inspiration that I will share with you. You can laugh all you want. You can make fun of me. You can tell me what a stupid idea it is. But I tried it out for a few minutes before I went to bed, and it seems like it will work. Lightweight, easily available, cheap. If you can't bear to be so cheap, send me 5 bucks and I'll "make" one for you, even personalize it with your name on it. Give it a try as soon as you can and report back on this thread.

Stick an empty toilet paper tube in your bra as a separator.:jump

QHShowoman
09-12-2013, 09:45
If your cleavage is hot and sweaty enough to cause a rash, that toilet paper tube is going to get damp with sweat after a couple hours of hiking and turn into a piece of mush.

Athleta, while pricey, has a great selection of sports bras - both wireless and with underwire - that won't result in a uniboob, like these:
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46915&vid=1&pid=903749&mlink=46906,6952487,BUVa9_3&clink=6952487
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=819373

I actually bought these to sleep in, originally, but wore one on an 11 mile hike last weekend and it was great. I suspect it's not super quick-drying, though, but for 2 for $12, you can't really go wrong: http://www.target.com/p/hanes-women-s-2-pack-cottony-comfort-pullover-bra-h570-assorted-colors/-/A-14402381?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14401917&CPNG=Women&kpid=14401917&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14401917&gclid=CNHt5e3-xbkCFUHNOgodORMADw

Butterfly58
09-12-2013, 10:38
I bought two online. They should be here today or tomorrow. I'll report back. I live in FL so it's always hot and humid here and I will wear it as a normal bra for a couple days and see how sweaty it gets underneath. Just as another idea, my mom sometimes puts a handkerchief under her boobs to absorb sweat.

oleary92
10-10-2013, 22:07
Zipper could cause serious chafe long term. With my non-front zip sports bras, it takes me about 3 weeks of hiking all day to start getting really painful boob chafe. So even if you test it could be misleading. In some ways though, there is no way to prevent this if you're big boobed like me.

Special K
10-11-2013, 09:58
I like to shop here: http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/bras/more-bra-types/sports-bras

Adriana
10-12-2013, 04:27
FYI, my OB/GYN who is a hiker, says that some of the bra related rashes (mine are under the underwire) are caused by the same fungus that causes athletes foot and can be treated with the same creams or ointmentw.

QHShowoman
10-12-2013, 07:33
FYI, my OB/GYN who is a hiker, says that some of the bra related rashes (mine are under the underwire) are caused by the same fungus that causes athletes foot and can be treated with the same creams or ointmentw.

That's correct. It's actually a type of yeast infection. It's really important to wear a bra that is moisture-wicking and quick-drying for this reason.

ktest
10-31-2013, 19:06
Great info! I'll have to try these out, they may be just the ticket.

pqtex
11-03-2013, 10:58
I have been searching for a new, comfortable bra unsuccessfully. I'm full figured all over, but not that big in the cups. Getting a bra big enough to be comfortable all around without having cups too big has been a problem. I used to love the sports bras, but find they aren't that great getting them on and off, especially when hot and sweaty. I tried a zip-front bra from Academy a couple of years ago. My first thought, when I tried it on at home, was how comfortable it was. Then I stretched my arms out a little and discovered the zipper wouldn't stay locked and if I stretched just "right" the entire bra front would unzip and pop open. Back to the store it went. I'm pretty sure it was a Champion, but now I'm eager to try out the Hanes y'all are talking about. Thanks for info. Jill

illabelle
11-03-2013, 13:16
I finally just gave up. I wear an underwire on the trail for support, coverage, and separation - I wish ventilation was better. Change into a comfy sports bra to sleep.

Traffic Jam
11-04-2013, 11:51
I don't mind the uniboob, it's the headlights I have a problem with. Any recommendations? I normally wear Moving Comfort, Fiona cause it fits the best.

Ileah7
11-07-2013, 21:42
I too have been looking for the perfect bra and haven't been having much luck. My problem is that my backpack straps seem to line up with any racer back sports bras I try, I can only find cotton bras that are spaghetti straps without adjusters(because these always seem rub and make raw spots under my pack too). I mostly get irritation on my collar bones from the racer back style. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about trying a smartwool bra with thin straps, altering it so the straps just fit and don't adjust... Has anyone tried any of their bras?

QHShowoman
11-07-2013, 22:37
I bought an EMS sports bra because it was on clearance for $14 and it turned out to be my favorite for backpacking and hiking.
The straps are very thin, so there's minimal rubbing under your pack, it's quick-drying, and the straps can be worn crisscross or regular style. There's a bit of ruching and seaming in the center, so you don't get a terrible uniboob effect. But the material is pretty thin, so it won't hide the headlights that well.

I am a 36C and got the L/XL size. It's not supportive enough for high impact stuff like aerobics or running, but I love it for hiking:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4378881&cp=3677318.11302148#

marshbirder
11-08-2013, 21:00
I recently wore the bra from the OP while horseback riding and it worked great.

Trailweaver
11-09-2013, 06:11
Well I"ll be! I'd given up on this issue too! After rotator cuff surgery, I couldn't wear bras that you put on overhead. (Got "trapped" in one once and had to ask for help to get it off- we're talking total humiliation!). I'm gonna get one of these. Thanks!

Just Bill
11-11-2013, 11:44
I don't mind the uniboob, it's the headlights I have a problem with. Any recommendations? I normally wear Moving Comfort, Fiona cause it fits the best.
My wife (and most of the runners in the area) highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona as well. She is a 32 D- tricky bit of fitting for her so she's been through them all. No more wearing two sports bras with this bra for her. She found it generally thick enough for all but the worst headlight issues (I asked). The recommendation came from our local running shop and since asking around it is a very popular choice for runners everywhere. Another bonus (although not really a trail issue?) is that she has found it to be highly adjustable, so much so that she is going to stick with it as her pregnancy bra. Last time she went through half a dozen.

Traffic Jam
11-12-2013, 11:27
My wife (and most of the runners in the area) highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona as well. She is a 32 D- tricky bit of fitting for her so she's been through them all. No more wearing two sports bras with this bra for her. She found it generally thick enough for all but the worst headlight issues (I asked). The recommendation came from our local running shop and since asking around it is a very popular choice for runners everywhere. Another bonus (although not really a trail issue?) is that she has found it to be highly adjustable, so much so that she is going to stick with it as her pregnancy bra. Last time she went through half a dozen.

Yep, it's excellent for running and I bet it'd make a good breastfeeding bra because of the velcro straps. I'm an L & D/nursery/women's surgery nurse and never thought about recommending this bra for breastfeeding, thanks for the idea.

I generally wear thin, tighter-fitting shirts which doesn't help the headlight problem but that's how I stay cool. I've never been around anyone who rudely stared so I've learned to swallow my embarrassment. I wish I had the guts to go braless when hiking.

squeezebox
11-14-2013, 10:10
Braless- I hear in Europe there are clothing optional trails. You wouldn't have to wear anything. So make yourself comfortable, wear what you want, hike your own hike.

sweettea
12-10-2013, 01:59
That is actually super cute and looks really moisture wicking. The zipper seems slightly pointless...but very sexy! I have so many that look just like this (just minus the zip) and you can get them for cheap at any sporting good store. Who knows I may not even wear a bra. Girls with small tits are more fortunate in that they can do that ;)

Adriana
01-20-2014, 05:04
Actually I didn't go in the store. I checked it out online and there was a feature on the website that you could check to find out which stores carry it. The closest one is 45 minutes away. So I think I'm going to order it online. I'm wondering if this bra is being discontinued. I couldn't find it anywhere else online, including the actual Hanes website. Maybe I'll order 2! I can always return them if they don't fit.
I think you can still order it online for pick up at your local store can't you?

nonameslob
02-19-2014, 17:27
Thank you for this post! I joined this forum specifically for this section - I don't have many female hikers in my life and I get lost when it comes to gear. I've always hiked in normal bras because I have a very hard time finding a sports bra that isn't completely out of my price range or that fits (I'm a 40C and for some reason that's no trouble with a normal bra but with a sports bra they automatically make the band size 5 inches too small!).

This is the most comfortable sports bra I've ever owned, and I've tried on quite a few recently. I cannot wait to wear it on a hike. It will be a vast improvement on my underwire cotton bras. Performed well at the gym, but thankfully I am not a runner...it would definitely not hold up to much bouncing around.

Now I just need to find the perfect panties...

kswantita
02-26-2014, 15:27
Thank you for this topic!!! I'm a 34D and find it so hard to be happy and comfortable while exercising. I will be trying the moving comfort bra soon...

Sierra2015
02-26-2014, 16:08
I don't wear anything that doesn't have an underwire.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-26-2014, 16:53
I don't wear anything that doesn't have an underwire.

Your panties must jab on those steep climbs.....yikes.

Sierra2015
02-26-2014, 17:07
Your panties must jab on those steep climbs.....yikes.
-_-

I see what you did there.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-26-2014, 17:39

Uniboob and Headlights....those would be great trail names...maybe for a pair of buxom sisters. :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-27-2014, 10:36
Looking recommendations for a bra/bras that meets the criteria of a good hiking bra, moisture-wicking and quick-drying, that fit a 34 DDD. Definitely like ones that hold things in place and give the girls good support. Usually do underwires but not required if the support is there. Racer-back would be nice. Wouldn't mind a front-closure. Have stuck with the Champions that I use for working out but they are far from quick-drying and I have had to put on a damp one on more than one cool morning. Brrr! Also, what about something to change into at the end of the day for around camp/shelter? Have researched the ones recommended and while they are generally readily available in DD I'm not really seeing any DDDs. And don't know if when they come in S, M, L and XL what it translates into. Recommendations? Thanks and happy hiking in the New Year!!

illabelle
12-27-2014, 14:26
Looking recommendations for a bra/bras that meets the criteria of a good hiking bra, moisture-wicking and quick-drying, that fit a 34 DDD. Definitely like ones that hold things in place and give the girls good support. Usually do underwires but not required if the support is there. Racer-back would be nice. Wouldn't mind a front-closure. Have stuck with the Champions that I use for working out but they are far from quick-drying and I have had to put on a damp one on more than one cool morning. Brrr! Also, what about something to change into at the end of the day for around camp/shelter? Have researched the ones recommended and while they are generally readily available in DD I'm not really seeing any DDDs. And don't know if when they come in S, M, L and XL what it translates into. Recommendations? Thanks and happy hiking in the New Year!!

Best thing I've come up with is to hike in a supportive underwire. Yes, it gets wet with sweat. At night take it off and change to a dry comfy bra that I use only for sleeping. In the morning, put the wet cold Brrrrrra back on. Wish I had a better answer.

She
12-28-2014, 10:21

VS has them in your size. My daughter uses them. I am not certain about their wicking capabilities as she doesn't use them for any intense activities. They come with 'Body Wick' and are nylon/spandex, so might dry quickly?

https://www.victoriassecret.com//victorias-secret-sport/shop-all/incredible-by-victoriarsquos-secret-sport-bra-victorias-secret-sport?ProductID=190404&CatalogueType=OLS&search=true

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-28-2014, 15:56
VS has them in your size. My daughter uses them. I am not certain about their wicking capabilities as she doesn't use them for any intense activities. They come with 'Body Wick' and are nylon/spandex, so might dry quickly?

https://www.victoriassecret.com//victorias-secret-sport/shop-all/incredible-by-victoriarsquos-secret-sport-bra-victorias-secret-sport?ProductID=190404&CatalogueType=OLS&search=true

Thanks She!! To be honest I hadn't even thought to check Vicky's. I stopped buying from them years ago because it seemed like the quality of their products had steadily dropped once they could be found at every mall. And I don't recall them having sport bras at the time. Will definitely give them a try :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-28-2014, 16:09
Best thing I've come up with is to hike in a supportive underwire. Yes, it gets wet with sweat. At night take it off and change to a dry comfy bra that I use only for sleeping. In the morning, put the wet cold Brrrrrra back on. Wish I had a better answer.

Thanks illabelle. Once I find something that works decent and I can typically get fairly readily I seldom venture away. I can't count the hours and dollars I've spent just trying to get a decent, comfortable fit. But the Champion sport bras I've been used to wearing do not lend themselves to being on the trail. Thought I'd give a shout out and see if any of the ladies with the same problem who've been hiking longer than I had had any better success. One more downside is that when it is good and cold, once I stop a chill settles in quick along the strap in the back because it is so damp and it takes forever to get past the chill and warm up. "She" suggested Vicky's Secret and I think I'll give them a try. Will come back with a review after I check them out.

Treehugger
12-28-2014, 18:30
Bali Bras Comfort Revolution. I have found them at Kohls, Sams Club. The most comfortable bra I have ever worn. I can wear it all day and sleep in it too. I have several to trade out when I wear them out. Black can double as bathing suit top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-29-2014, 00:15
Bali Bras Comfort Revolution. I have found them at Kohls, Sams Club. The most comfortable bra I have ever worn. I can wear it all day and sleep in it too. I have several to trade out when I wear them out. Black can double as bathing suit top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Treehugger. Will check them out as well. Maybe order one of the ones from Vicky's and one from Bali. I did Bali for a long time but the local stores frequently did not carry the right size in stock. I found Soma to be the best for carrying my size most of the time but never bothered to see if they run to sport bras as well. Guess I should check them too.
By the way, like the name. Have thought of going with talks2trees if I don't care for what the trail gives me :)

She
12-29-2014, 08:49
Thanks She!! To be honest I hadn't even thought to check Vicky's. I stopped buying from them years ago because it seemed like the quality of their products had steadily dropped once they could be found at every mall. And I don't recall them having sport bras at the time. Will definitely give them a try :)

You're welcome. When I spoke with her yesterday I asked about drying time and she said if good air flow they easily dry overnight as she just hangs them after washing. However, that's in an a/c controlled condo, which varies quite a bit from the trail :D

I'm still mulling over my choices and haven't found anything yet that fits the bill for me either. While we have similar 'front-load weights' our frames are totally different. She's like a stick, and I have broad shoulders and a much wider rib cage. I have a feeling me and Bodyglide will become very close friends over the long haul in 2016 ;) I've not yet tackled anything longer than a few hours, but hope to find something prior to an upcoming week long trip to try something out. I just suspect a well-used garment might be difficult to return, lol!

Riocielo
05-03-2015, 23:21
Hey, Traffic Jam, I'm an L&D nurse, too! Any one having a baby out on the trail we'll take good care of them! :-)

Traffic Jam
05-04-2015, 07:12
Hey, Traffic Jam, I'm an L&D nurse, too! Any one having a baby out on the trail we'll take good care of them! :-)

Hey girl! With people wanting to have the youngest kid thru hike the AT, you never know when our services will be needed. Pretty soon they'll be delivering on Springer. :)

Taysel
05-04-2015, 20:25
Unfortunately/fortunately (it depends on how you look at it), I'm too small to have support issues or any major sweat issues. My bra issue is that my collarbone is bruised by my pack straps. Anyone have any advice on this front? I fear that any bra with a strap will leave bruises but am hoping that someone has some insight. (And no, I'm not willing to go bare).