PDA

View Full Version : 2 Person tent question

hikernutcasey
09-09-2013, 09:24
O.K. so I currently have a 1 man REI Chrysalis that weights somewhere around 3 1/2 pounds as I carry it. I'm looking to buy a 2 man tent because next year I plan on taking some one night trips close to home to introduce my 5 year old son to the wonderful world of camping. (We slept outside in the yard over the weekend and he had a blast!)

I'm leaning toward the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 since it is a double wall tent and would still save me a full pound or more. I know there are a lot of the cottage industry tents out there but most of them are single wall and I would just feel more comfortable with the durability and the lack of any condensation issues that a double wall would provide.

What are your thoughts on the Big Agnes?

What tents am I missing that I may need to look at?

Am I dumb for not considering the single wall tents?

Thanks

HooKooDooKu
09-09-2013, 10:15
Just because it is a double wall tent doesn't mean you won't have condensation issues. I currently own a Big Agnes Lynx Pass I regret purchasing because of a terrible condensation issue, even when the tent is set up in ideal conditions. I also recently borrowed a friends Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 where I was suprized to find condensation on my sleeping bag's foot box.

I can also say that I personally do not like the "front" entry style of the Fly Creek... I'm used to the notion of sliding into a sleeping bag, but not sliding into a tent. I've also go a relative that uses the Fly Creek and hates it because of issues with water dripping into the tent when you open the rainfly.

Being a father taking out young boys into the back country, I would also be conserned for the duribility of the thin material of the Fly Creek. Basically, I'm afraid that a young child might accidently damage such a thin and expensive tent.

But if the cost and risk of damage doesn't bother you, I would suggest the Big Agnes Copper Spur line. That way you have door ways that you get to enter from the side, and the door wall is much more vertical than on the Fly Creek. (However, I have no idea what condensation issues there may or may not be with the Copper Spur.)

So far, my favorite tent has been the Kelty Gunnison. Yea, it's a lot heavier than a Copper Spur (6lb trail weight v 3.5lb trail weight). But it is very roomy, and I had ZERO condensation issue this summer using a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 with two boys with me.

Sure, there are other tents beside the Kelty Gunnison that are as durable and lighter weight... but that lighter weight is at the expense of roominess.

bfayer
09-09-2013, 10:20
No not dumb at all. Single, double or hybrid all have their pluses an minuses.

I have the fc2 and think it is a very good tent for the weight. It should be fine for you and your 5 year old. It would be hard for me to call it a 2 person tent however, I would say more like 1.5 person.

I don't use it much any more because I really like having the doors on the side. If you can deal with the front entrance, its a good tent.

My current tent is a Lightheart solong 6, and I feel it is much more durable that the fc2, and has more usable space. so if you use hiking poles, you should take another look at some of the cottage stuff, especially Lightheart. If you don't hike with poles the fc2 is a very good tent.

Venchka
09-09-2013, 10:25
TarpTent. Numerous 2 & 3 person models. Don't dismiss a 3 person tent for 2 people. The extra room comes in handy sometimes. Double wall. Double side entry. Acres of weatherproof & bug proof coverage. Light weight. Not terribly expensive.

Wayne

Mr. Bumpy
09-09-2013, 10:40
I can't say enough good about the BA Copper Spur 3 for use as a 2 person tent which is what I have been using for almost a year. Whatever you go with, I would consider a double entry tent as essential. After years of going with front entry I am kicking myself for not switching sooner.

Venchka
09-09-2013, 10:50
I can't say enough good about the BA Copper Spur 3 for use as a 2 person tent which is what I have been using for almost a year. Whatever you go with, I would consider a double entry tent as essential. After years of going with front entry I am kicking myself for not switching sooner.

Amen!

Wayne

grayfox
09-09-2013, 10:54
The biggest drawback of a single wall tent is the inability to roll up the fly for better air flow on nice nights--thus condensaton can often be a problem where it would not be in a double wall tent. Some nights are just damp and there is no cure for it but the morning sun.

The best thing to do to increase durability is to use a floor cloth inside the tent and let the kids keep their shoes on--an all weather space blanket, the thicker laminated one, cut to fit works well. Also look for big zippers as the small light ones won't stand up to all the comming and going that kids do.

It is hard to argue with getting the lightest tent you can afford, but a bit of extra space can be a ife saver on a rainy buggy day. I'd opt for a larger tent before a light one. Do look for aluminum poles and a large floor. Kids don't need as much headroom.

Hope this helps, grayfox

slbirdnerd
09-09-2013, 12:23
I like my Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 very much and me and my 11 year old fit in it pretty well. We shove our gear into the foot of the tent and there is still plenty of room to sleep. I think they are pretty durable for as light as they are. Mine got hailed on last Friday and it's fine. Having said that, if I were buying a tent today I would go with the Copper Spur 2 not so much for the front entry but the fact it is more freestanding and has more head room.

Ktaadn
09-09-2013, 15:43
I'll pile on here with what everyone else has said. I own a Fly Creek 3 and highly recommend it for 2 person use. It is light and I haven't had any condensation issues when properly staked out. The slopping single door doesn't bother me, but I could see how it might bother some.

tarantolk
09-09-2013, 15:51
My bf and i originally looked jnto that tent but ended up With the nemo obi 2, my bf & I used it this year for the 100 mile wilderness in Maine & sectional on AT in CT. Worked great & is about 3 lbs.. No H2O leakage or condensation. I got ours off campsaver.com with a great discount. The Labor Day sale just ended but they usually have coupons and sales regularly.

Franco
09-09-2013, 16:15
"The biggest drawback of a single wall tent is the inability to roll up the fly for better air flow on nice nights-"
How about this ?
Tarptent Double Rainbow

Venchka
09-09-2013, 16:35
"The biggest drawback of a single wall tent is the inability to roll up the fly for better air flow on nice nights-"
How about this ?
Tarptent Double Rainbow

There are so many good features in the TarpTent line. You can't judge shelters by weight alone. That said, the TarpTents are neither heavy nor expensive.

Wayne

Drybones
09-09-2013, 16:38
How about this ?
Tarptent Double Rainbow

I have one of these and a feature I like is the ability to turn the rain flys into a "porch" if you're stuck in rain for an extended period, nice to stay dry but still be able to see what's happening outside.

GSLeader_in_NC
09-09-2013, 16:43
Love my Copper Spur 2 Tent! It was big enough for me (5'11", 200 lbs) and my 12-year old son on our hiking trip last year... Most times I am going solo and it's very roomy. Enough I could put my pack in with me... To save a few ounces I could have gone with the 1-man, but glad I chose the 2-man. I love the dual exits...and didn't want a front-entry due to the twisting and turning I would have to do to get in and situated; and also thought rain would find a way in and hit my bag every time I open the fly.

hikernutcasey
09-10-2013, 15:12
Wow! Thanks for all the great advice. It's kind of funny that so many of you mentioned getting a side entry tent. I started to ask about that in my post. All I have ever had is a top entry but I was wondering if it would make that much of a difference.

Question - On the Tarptent Double Rainbow, it says the weight is 41oz. Does that include the stakes? What about stuff sack? I usually don't use a stuff sack and just stuff it in the bottom of my bag. What would be the total carrying weight?

Symba
09-10-2013, 16:15
Kelty Teton 2 is my choice of tents. I camp alone but like the extra space for my stuff; figure a kid would fit fine in it with one adult.

Venchka
09-10-2013, 16:49
http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

6 stakes and reflective Spectra guylines included. I am 99% sure that the stakes & guylines are included in the "2 1/2 pounds for 2 people" weight. Call Henry to verify.
Double side entry = no crawling over the other person to enter/exit the tent.

Wayne

HooKooDooKu
09-10-2013, 16:59
Kelty Teton 2 is my choice of tents. I camp alone but like the extra space for my stuff; figure a kid would fit fine in it with one adult.
The Teton is a discontinued model... but the Salida (http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent) appears to be a comperable tent. The Salida won the 2011 Backpackers Magazine Editor Choice Award.

Namtrag
09-10-2013, 17:05
We have a BA Jack Rabbit 2, and it is way too small for 2 people IMO....we bought an MSR Hoop 2 and it seems like a palace inside. It was worth the extra weight to have room to sit up at the same time, put stuff both at our head and at our feet, and have vestibules that you can hardly even zip all the way down from the inside of the tent because they are so large!

energier
09-10-2013, 17:50
stephensons warm lite 2r double wall 3.25 lbs if $ no prob excellent tent condensation yes under certain conditions have had tent for several years now 9+ years very very roomy! High quality when I purchased

NY HIKER 50
09-10-2013, 18:10
No one mentions the Eurika Timberline 2. I have had it for years and it is a BOMBPROOF tent. Granted it weighs six pounds, but that is the best six pounds I ever carried. If you really want something lighter, use a tarp. By the way, 2 man tent is an acronym for "1 person with gear".

A.T.Lt
09-10-2013, 18:52
No one mentions the Eurika Timberline 2. I have had it for years and it is a BOMBPROOF tent. Granted it weighs six pounds, but that is the best six pounds I ever carried. If you really want something lighter, use a tarp. By the way, 2 man tent is an acronym for "1 person with gear".

I agree. The Timberline 2 is an awesome tent. I used a Eureka Apex 2 for a while and recently switched to the Fly Creek. I love the packabilty and light weight of the FC, but also agree with others about the front entrance being a pain....and its definatley more of a 1.5 person.

Last Call
09-10-2013, 19:23
I have the Big Agnes Fly Creek and the Copper Spur 2, only use the Fly Creek when my girls are with me & they take over the Copper Spur.

Chris10
09-10-2013, 19:33
I have the BA FC3, because as bfayer posted earlier, a two, is really a 1.5, and the 3, is really a 2.5. I found the 3 to be perfect for my son and I, with plenty of room for us and our packs. I have not had any issues with condensation. I would agree with HKDK in that I'm not a big fan of the front only entrance though.

skell23
09-10-2013, 22:21
I have a Marmot Aspen 2 that is made for Dicks Sporting Goods. It has two vestibules for gear and two entries. I am 6'2 and had my 13 year old son in their with me and we were comfortable. I have carried it solo on sections and enjoy the space for my gear when it's nasty outside. I tried several different 2 person tents and this one was by far the roomiest due to the ridge pole that pushes the walls out. I know I could shave one or two pounds off by spending more money but I like the roominess.

Gravesbrock
09-17-2013, 23:33
If your looking I have a double rainbow for sale! Pm me. I haven't listed it yet

AliciaG
09-18-2013, 16:28
My bf and i originally looked jnto that tent but ended up With the nemo obi 2, my bf & I used it this year for the 100 mile wilderness in Maine & sectional on AT in CT. Worked great & is about 3 lbs.. No H2O leakage or condensation. I got ours off campsaver.com with a great discount. The Labor Day sale just ended but they usually have coupons and sales regularly.

CampSaver always has sales, and I just got word of the latest one, a coupon for 20% off anything. Here:
http://bc25.com/campsaver-com-coupon-code-20-off-camp-saver-coupon/

I used it to get one of the Big Agnes tents, this Ultra light backpacking tent. It's a big claustrophobic for two people but ridiculously light!

vzett
09-18-2013, 18:43
My 10yr old son and I just finished 3 nights and 4 days looping Standing Indian from the Long Branch Trail to the Kimsey trail with the Copper Spur UL2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96343778@N07/sets/72157635618162545/). We didn't have any rain but we've had this tent up in a pretty good downpour this summer with no leaks. The nights were in the high 40's to mid-50's with no condensation issues. The tent is really easy to set up, take down, and pack and is still <4lbs with the footprint. We also have the UL3 (trying to prep for hiking as a family of 5) and it is also really nice, but about a 1lb heavier so I took the UL2.

Papa D
09-18-2013, 21:14
My first question would be are you sleeping 2 people? If not, I'd look at a one person tent.
I like MSR tents like the Hubba or the Carbon Reflex. I also like the 6 Moons Designs super
light tarp style tents.
if you really want a 2-person single wall tent, check out Bibler:
www.sunnysports.com/p-bkdtit/black-diamond-bibler-i-tent?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=BKDTIT
or the cadillac of tents - Hilleberg - this is one of their lighter 2 person tents - they are pretty supreme
www.hilleberg.com/home/products/nallo/nallo2.php