PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning FroggToggs

Dainon
08-09-2005, 12:04
After two section hikes, my FroggTogg pullover jacket smelled VERY bad. I couldn't find info on the FroggTogg website for information on how to clean or if doing so would reduce its ability to remain waterproof. Anyway, I sent an email to the company and they wrote back saying to wash FroggToggs in a machine with mild liquid soap and to ALWAYS use (EIO) the Gentle cycle.

Thought this might be of some use to those who have FroggToggs that are almost as dirty and smelly as mine.

Youngblood
08-09-2005, 15:23
After two section hikes, my FroggTogg pullover jacket smelled VERY bad. I couldn't find info on the FroggTogg website for information on how to clean or if doing so would reduce its ability to remain waterproof. Anyway, I sent an email to the company and they wrote back saying to wash FroggToggs in a machine with mild liquid soap and to ALWAYS use (EIO) the Gentle cycle.

Thought this might be of some use to those who have FroggToggs that are almost as dirty and smelly as mine.
I've always drip dried mine, what did they say about drying?

Footslogger
08-09-2005, 15:36
Good input. Mine reeked after the thru in 2003 but I never called the company. I just threw them in the washer on gentle cycle with a couple ounces of detergent. Like Youngblood ...I too just let mine drip dry.

Seemed to work well. Jacket still held back the rain and didn't smell "quite" as bad. Somehow I don't think you ever totally get the hiker stank out of a synthetic fabric.

'Slogger

peter_pan
08-09-2005, 16:15
Amen to the perminent scent, once set in , on synthetics. My O2 Rainwear by Rainshield, probabably with 100 days of actual use, have been washed about 4 times...still waterproof...and, I too use drip dry.

Pan

Lilred
08-10-2005, 17:52
I could have sworn the washing instructions were on a tag in the jacket or pants, I'll have to look. It said to wash in cold water and not to heat dry.

fiddlehead
08-10-2005, 23:03
Frogg Toggs are actually made from polypropylene and most of us know how much THAT can retain your body odors. I finally retired my 1st Frogg Togg top after 5 years of hard use. I always just threw it in the wash along with my other hiking clothes. Still kept me dry although it eventually just wore out. (layers started coming apart or just disintegrating)

rmtjr
10-17-2005, 21:50
I wanted to get another Frogg Toggs jacket. I did not need new pants, but all the retail web sites and stores that I visited only sold sets. I called Guntersville Breathables (DBA Frogg Toggs). The customer service rep said essentially, "Yes, I'd be happy to sell you a jacket. Name, address, credit card number?" Very pleasant. This was Monday noon of last week. The jacket arrived Wednesday noon, two days later - UPS Ground. I was anticipating 7-10 business days. Really great service from the Frogg Toggs folks. Bob

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 23:00
Really great service from the Frogg Toggs folks. Bob

I've ordered two sets from them and that's been my experience too.

Rain:sunMan

TwoForty
10-18-2005, 21:36
I drip dried and used just a bit of soap.
What happens if you use the normal cycle? Would it hurt the waterproofness or would it just tear them up?

bogey
10-18-2005, 22:37
I bought a frogg togg (dual purpose) for motorcycle and eventually to hike. first time I put them on, somewhere between arlington VA and Chicago IL, I brushed my leg against the pipe, and almost immediately had a ten inch hole in the froggy bottoms.

Went to the web site, ordered a new lower half and got it in two days. sweet!

Nightwalker
10-18-2005, 23:26
From the tag at the back of the collar:

Hand or machine wash cold water.
Drip dry only. Do not heat dry or dry clean.
Avoid open flame or other ignition sources.
Oil or alcohol based products cause permanent stains.

100% polypropylene.

Made in the Mexico.

That's about it.

Uncle Silly
10-19-2005, 16:14
I drip dried and used just a bit of soap.
What happens if you use the normal cycle? Would it hurt the waterproofness or would it just tear them up?
It just tears them up (faster). One cycle probably won't kill your toggs unless you're washing them with something seriously rough (like lots of zippers or something).