PDA

View Full Version : US60 Buena Vista to Beagle Gap (SNP)

Studlintsean
09-09-2013, 12:17
I have a 5 day trip coming up in mid October for this section and have a few questions I am hoping others with experience in this area/ this time of year might be able to help with.

1). Weather: I am from Virginia and know a lot can change with the weather between now and then but have very limited experience at the 4,000 ft altitude I will be seeing. I have read trail journals and seen as warm as 70s and as cold as 30. As of now, I am planning on bringing a 20 deg WM bag (also own a 40 deg montbell). On average, does this seem appropriate? I will keep an eye on sophiakowns.com as we get closer.

2). Water: Again, I know a lot can happen with the water between now and then depending on weather temp, moisture, etc but in general, should I be fine with only aqua mira drops? I also own a Katadyn Hiker pro filter and would like to leave this at home (Note: I would only bring 1 or the other) but with dry springs I find it easier to dig a bit and filter than to dip a bandana or cup and pour into a bottle. Can anyone report on water in this area lately/ in the October time frame?

Any other information I should know about this section?

Thanks in advance

Studlintsean

Studlintsean
09-09-2013, 12:20
Sorry for the double post.Anyone know if their is camping available around the cripple creek area? Thanks.

Cookerhiker
09-09-2013, 12:51
Not sure what to say on the sleeping bag. Is your 40 degree one considerably less heavy/bulky than the 20? If so, I'd bring it along with sufficient layers in case you have to wear fleece to bed. Personally, I have a 15 degree line which works well for situations like that.

Water - take this for what it's worth: the only time I section hiked that part was the same time of year as you and water was mighty scarce. But that was one year and it was long ago. We camped by the no-longer-existent Mill Creek Shelter; the creek was barely a trickle.

Studlintsean
09-09-2013, 13:04
Not sure what to say on the sleeping bag. Is your 40 degree one considerably less heavy/bulky than the 20? If so, I'd bring it along with sufficient layers in case you have to wear fleece to bed. Personally, I have a 15 degree line which works well for situations like that.

Water - take this for what it's worth: the only time I section hiked that part was the same time of year as you and water was mighty scarce. But that was one year and it was long ago. We camped by the no-longer-existent Mill Creek Shelter; the creek was barely a trickle.

Thanks Cookerhiker. The 40 deg bag is a synthetic Montbell weighing 2 lbs 2 ounces and the 20 deg bag is a WM Alpinlite weighing 1 lb 15 ounces so the 20 deg is actually a bit warmer but has a bit more bulk to it.

Studlintsean
09-09-2013, 13:04
*warmer=lighter