PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Jam 70 or GG Crown V.C. 60?

Cgconrad
09-09-2013, 14:32
Title pretty much says it all. Im looking at both. The golite 50 and 70 are pretty much the same weight so I think id go for the roomier one to distribute my gear better. I like the idea of the GG having a removable plate that pretty much makes it the same weight as the golite if I want to make it a frameless. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!!

rustmd
09-09-2013, 16:36
i use go-life jam 70 for my AT section hikes, helped me keep my total pack weight well under 30 lbs. i had to rethink the way i pack, such as using my prolite sleeping pad as a pack liner. my only complaint w/ my go-lite is the side pockets catch all the fir trees and causes those side pockets to rip. . .i sewed duct tape to cover the holes. all in all, a very good UL backpack.

Cgconrad
09-09-2013, 22:12
i use go-life jam 70 for my AT section hikes, helped me keep my total pack weight well under 30 lbs. i had to rethink the way i pack, such as using my prolite sleeping pad as a pack liner. my only complaint w/ my go-lite is the side pockets catch all the fir trees and causes those side pockets to rip. . .i sewed duct tape to cover the holes. all in all, a very good UL backpack.

Thanks for the reply!! I also read that the side pockets were a little short. Any problems with that for you?

Shonryu
09-10-2013, 01:23
It really depends on what your doing and what your base weight is. I personally love my GG Crown V. The suspenzion and compression system is way better IMO then the Golite packs. But as I've transitioned into UL backpacking I've realized that both packs don't work for me anymore. They are just way to big and don't carry well with smaller loads. I personally have moved to smaller packs and would advise you to take this into careful consideration. The bigger your pack the more you'll find yourself taking things you don't need and overpacking. Smaller pack require you to think about what your packing preventing you from carrying huge loads. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the GG. One because its smaller vs a 70 and two I love the suspension system on it. The downside is it doesn't carry well if you take the plate out especially on lighter loads. What kind of base beight do you expect to be carrying?

rustmd
09-23-2013, 07:59
the pocket size is fine IMO. . .it's just that the material seems to catch on those short pines on hikes above treeline, such as in NH, ME.

q-tip
09-23-2013, 08:49
The GG VC Crown is my go-to pack---love it................