PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using poncho liners for top quilts? How cold can they go if so?

William36
09-09-2013, 14:33
Just curious if anybody here uses a military poncho liner converted to a top quilt, how cold you think it's good for?

geomaniac
09-09-2013, 14:53
I wouldnt think you could be much below 50 with one. At least the one I have. It might be good for summer use.

kayak karl
09-09-2013, 15:04
i use liner for summer use also and for that 50-70 degree. i have a 40 degree for below 50. i converted a 40 big angus. just cut away the pad sleeve (left 16" for foot box) and zipper. weights 15 oz.

daddytwosticks
09-09-2013, 15:16
Just curious if anybody here uses a military poncho liner converted to a top quilt, how cold you think it's good for? I looked into this for summer ground use. Other than poncho liners being simple and relatively cheap, getting yourself a proper hiking quilt will probably be warmer and lighter, although more expensive. :)

William36
09-09-2013, 19:27
Yea but two quilts x $200+ per = seriously upset wife.

BigHodag
09-10-2013, 21:36
I use a poncho liner during summer. The problem with the liner is that it lacks a wind shell so any breeze over the liner drains heat. You need to use a tent or rig your tarp low.

There is a mod to sew a shell layer to one side using an inexpensive space blanket.

i have used my poncho liner with my hammock down to 55F with long johns.

coach lou
09-10-2013, 21:43
Just curious if anybody here uses a military poncho liner converted to a top quilt, how cold you think it's good for?

I have used it in summer, when I know weather will be bad in winter I take it along. Years ago, I tried to use it and my wool blanket, but got a summer bag. It now is in my car as a car blanket.

winger
10-01-2013, 15:15
Check out this two manufacturers, both are very well liked and respected:
Kifaru and Hill Mountain People.
Kifaru makes a traditional style poncho liner and HMP makes a serape.
I don't use poncho liners for hammocking, I've got too much invested in quilts.

winger
10-01-2013, 15:17
Correction: its Hill People Gear......I've lived in East Tennessee too long.:)

Grinder
10-01-2013, 16:09
I just spent a weekend using one with a pad under, in a hammock. Temps down to high sixties. IT WAS GREAT.
I wonder if a poncho liner and a poncho might make it south of 50 degrees???

kayak karl
10-01-2013, 16:28
I just spent a weekend using one with a pad under, in a hammock. Temps down to high sixties. IT WAS GREAT.
I wonder if a poncho liner and a poncho might make it south of 50 degrees???for me, yes

da fungo
10-01-2013, 19:09
I just spent a weekend using one with a pad under, in a hammock. Temps down to high sixties. IT WAS GREAT.I wonder if a poncho liner and a poncho might make it south of 50 degrees???

I once spent a rainy night in the low 40s in the north Georgia woods, sharing a poncho and poncho liner with an M-60 machine gun. It was NOT fun or comfortable; I would NOT want to do it again; your mileage may vary, as they say, but I'd recommend against relying on a poncho liner at much below 50 degrees.

billnchristy
05-15-2015, 08:00
We just used them last weekend near Long Creek Falls. There was a thunderstorm in the afternoon and after that it cooled down considerably from the muggy day. I don't know what temps got down to (Official in nearby towns was 64) but I freezed my butt off. We don't have underquilts yet so I know that is a big part of it.

I think they would be fine for summer, not much else.

bemental
05-15-2015, 22:55
I don't think I'm that tough of a dude or anything, and perhaps I have a very nostalgic bond to my poncho liner... but I take that thing everywhere with me. No experience here with it in a hammock, but ground-dwelling in a bivy it serves as a solid addition to any three-season sleeping system, four if you have a proper bag and line it with your poncho liner.

There are undoubtedly lighter, more appropriate liners and quilts out there, and the comments about wind are absolutely true, but with an appropriate wind/water resistant layer above (:cough: poncho *liner*) the poncho liner is a pretty solid piece of kit.

elray
05-16-2015, 10:47
I spent quite a few miserable nights wrapped in a wet poncho liner in the Viet Nam highlands where the monsoon season temps regularly dipped into the 50's and really can't recommend using one on the Trail. I do keep one in the trunk for picnics and the like but for backpacking an inexpensive summer weight bag will serve you much better.

RangerZ
05-17-2015, 18:01
I used my just last night. Forecast low was for 62* and couldn't see taking my 23* bag. I was fine but I have two liners with a nylon poncho. Haven't used one since the travel light and freeze at night days.

Definitely didn't compress as small as my bag.

My wife calls them my security blanket. I pull them out to nap under.

At least I don't have to sleep with any of our M friends anymore.

Hang R
05-17-2015, 19:27
I know this is an old thread but I started out with poncho liners as a top quilt when I started to hammock before I bought top quilts. I took two poncho liners down into the 30's with a 20* bottom quilt. I would not recommend doing it because they are heavier than a top quilt and they do not compress well but they were free.

billnchristy
05-17-2015, 19:41
Oh dang, I didn't even realize I necro bumped this thing, sorry about that guys!

bemental
05-17-2015, 19:46
Oh dang, I didn't even realize I necro bumped this thing, sorry about that guys!

Heh, awesome

RangerZ
05-20-2015, 22:22
I used my just last night. Forecast low was for 62* and couldn't see taking my 23* bag. I was fine but I have two liners with a nylon poncho. Haven't used one since the travel light and freeze at night days.

Definitely didn't compress as small as my bag.

My wife calls them my security blanket. I pull them out to nap under.

At least I don't have to sleep with any of our M friends anymore.

I should have said that I was tenting. I’ve used one poncho liner down to about 60, maybe 50 with long base layers. Two poncho liners and long base layer to above 40, sleeping bag below that. I’ve never tried to line my 23* bag with a poncho liner to extend it colder.

Just Bill
05-20-2015, 23:45
If it helps any-
So far in my hammock experiments I've found the bottom quilt to be the critical piece. On the ground I can "push" insulation much farther than in the air.
If money is tight and you have to choose- a good underquilt would be my choice. And deal with whatever you can afford up top or wear extra clothes.

If anyone knows what's in it, I can give you a rating. But generally I hear 50* average on those.

RangerZ
07-06-2015, 22:31
I should have said that I was tenting.I’ve used one poncho liner down to about 60, maybe 50 with long base layers.Two poncho liners and long base layer to above 40, sleeping bag below that.I’ve never tried to line my 23* bag with a poncho liner to extend it colder.

This weekend I took my two poncho liners to sleep with in short UA base layers. Thursday and Friday night I was okay, mid to high 50s overnight. Sunday morning I woke up a little cold, it was about 51 degrees overnight, cooler than was forecasted. I would have been okay with long base layer and socks.