PDA

View Full Version : What brand Hammock do you use?

William36
09-09-2013, 14:35
I happened to be a Hennessey guy myself, just curious what others think are the premium brands out there

geomaniac
09-09-2013, 14:50
I love my Warbonnet Blackbird. My favorite feature is the shelf. It give me a place for my shoes and water bottle.

Magic_Mack
09-09-2013, 15:25
Clark nx-250. Awesome hammock! It gets a lot of negatives on hiker boards but it is lighter and IMO lays better than a WB Blackbird XLC 1.1 double that I just got rid of.

Nutbrown
09-09-2013, 16:00
Eno and a diy. I sewed netting onto both of them for a zippered bug net. Can't see spending the $$ on more expensive ones. ...If I were planning a thru, then it might be a different story.

tiptoe
09-09-2013, 16:12
My first (and only) hammock is a Hennessey Backpacker Asym. I've been very happy with it.

T-Rx
09-09-2013, 16:57
Warbonnet BB 1.1 Dbl. love it

baumfamily
09-09-2013, 17:12
Love my Warbonnet Blackbird! Plenty of room, very comfortable.

russb
09-09-2013, 18:40
Claytor. Seems like those of us who use them are few, but we also don't have a lot of the issues which need additional gear solutions like other hammocks. For example, pads work great in Claytors. Other hammocks seem to be somewhat uncomfortable with a pad, thus people buy underquilts for them.

Ox97GaMe
09-09-2013, 18:43
+1 for the Hennessey Asym. LOVE my hammock in 3 seasons. During winter hiking, I switch to a tent.

William36
09-09-2013, 19:23
Wow. Lots of hangers here. Didn't think there were.

No Directions
09-09-2013, 19:29
ENO DN and a Warbonnet Superfly. No complaints. I'm new at hanging.

mudsocks
09-09-2013, 19:37
DIY & BIAS hiker lite.

tnhiker13
09-09-2013, 20:25
Clark NX-250, great hammock

Lando11
09-09-2013, 21:08
I use 2, a dream hammock darien and a grand trunk nano 7. Love them both. I used to have a warbonnet bb but found it to be too large for me. It's also now $40 more then the darien, and that comes shipped with whoopie slings.

imscotty
09-09-2013, 21:52
Warbonnet BB 1.1 Double here to. Have not owned any others so I cannot compare but I am very happy with the BlackBird. Well made and super comfy.

Dogwood
09-09-2013, 21:56
Tweaked Hennessey Hyperlite Asym and Dream UL Darien. Never use a hammock in the dead of winter though. It's just too weighty and bulky of a set up for me with what I've seen. I just got back from a multi day yo yo of the Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga Trails in GA/AL and hammocked. Loved it.

Dogwood
09-09-2013, 22:03
A hammock is one of my primary shelters I carry when venturing off trail into heavily wooded mountainous sloping areas during 3 seasons or when I know I'll be below treeline at night. Sometimes, I'll even bring some chocks and hang on tight canyoneering treks. It's great to be able to swim out to a narrow marshy treed island in the middle of a river or lake and hang over the water. Ever hang at the top of a cell ph or lookout tower? Awseome!

nu2hike
09-09-2013, 23:26
My goto hammock is a Dream Hammocks Darien UL. Warbonnet Blackbird is my all time favorite but a little too heavy. Occasionally I carry my BIAS WWM if I'm not anticipating bugs. All these are great hammocks!

Shonryu
09-10-2013, 01:29
I started out with a Hennesy Asym and realized that the weight was just to heavy compared to other options. I then converted to a Hennesy Hammock Hyperlite and still realized for what it was it was still to heavy compared to a tarptent and other cottage shop hammocks that were on the market. Upgraded to a Dream Hammock Darien UL with a Hammock Gear cuban fiber fly and couldn't be happier. My set up weights less than most tarp tent options like a Henry Shire Contrail or Notch. I couldn't be happier with the products im using from Papasmurff from Dream Hamocks and Adam from Hamock Gear. Both guys are awesome to work with.

BuckeyeBill
09-10-2013, 01:33
I am getting ready to order a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer.

Trebor66
09-10-2013, 06:25
I was using a ENO but then I got a deal on a TarpTent Contrail and went back to the ground because of the huge weight savings.

chiefduffy
09-10-2013, 06:26
Warbonnet 1.0 double. Wife hangs in a 1.1 single. We sleep GOOD!

Old Grouse
09-10-2013, 06:51
I started with a Hennessey, then moved to a JRB Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock for greater comfort. If I'm going out for a short time where I know it'll be buggy, I still use the Hennessey with its built-in bugnet. (I usually split my ticket when voting, too!)

CB1821
09-10-2013, 06:58
Blackbird Double 1.1 also.

Butterfly58
09-10-2013, 10:43
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double. Love it! Wish I could sleep in it in my house!

Dogwood
09-10-2013, 11:31
I started out with a Hennesy Asym and realized that the weight was just to heavy compared to other options. I then converted to a Hennesy Hammock Hyperlite and still realized for what it was it was still to heavy compared to a tarptent and other cottage shop hammocks that were on the market. Upgraded to a Dream Hammock Darien UL with a Hammock Gear cuban fiber fly and couldn't be happier. My set up weights less than most tarp tent options like a Henry Shire Contrail or Notch. I couldn't be happier with the products im using from Papasmurff from Dream Hamocks and Adam from Hamock Gear. Both guys are awesome to work with.

I dropped nearly 5 oz off my HH Asym by switching out to Ansel whoopie slings with Ti Dutch hardware, aftermaket cuben rain fly, and cuben stuff sack(could leave it at home too).

Ewker
09-10-2013, 12:15
Speer hammock, Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL hammock, JRB Bridge hammock, DIY bridge hammock

two isles
09-10-2013, 12:36
HH Hyperlite and MacCat tarp.
I am going to change it up to a Darien UL.

Both the Hyperlite and MacCat did awesome on the thru!

(check out hammockforums.net)

Grits
09-10-2013, 13:01
warbonnet blackbird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxevtxnkmkk

ezdoesit
09-10-2013, 21:35
Just got my Hennessey Expedition Zip Saturday and loving it.

jbwood5
02-27-2014, 16:00
Anybody use a Grand Trunk double hammock? I just bought one from the Clymb. They gave me a $20 credit (which would have expired tomorrow) and $20 off their discounted price. This thing will be delivered for $28. It comes with the hanging ropes too. I figure I can sell it for about that if it doesn't work out. The only reviews are on Amazon and seem good but I doubt those reviews are from LD backpackers.

winger
02-27-2014, 17:43
First hammock was a Hennessy and probably would have given up on hammocking as it was very uncomfortable but fortunately purchased a WBBB and found what a difference it made in getting a good nights sleep, so I use it year round unless the temps are into the teens. I gave the Hennessy away.

jbwood5
02-27-2014, 18:04
First hammock was a Hennessy and probably would have given up on hammocking as it was very uncomfortable but fortunately purchased a WBBB and found what a difference it made in getting a good nights sleep, so I use it year round unless the temps are into the teens. I gave the Hennessy away.

This will be the first time for me and I have no clue how I'll make out. I really believe it would have helped me in VT and NH the last couple of years. I figure I'll do a few trial runs here in Florida... probably in the Citrus Tract or maybe in Ocala.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 18:41
I've looked at hammocks before but stayed away due to weight but I'm rethinking it and now believe I can do the hammock thing at or a little below my current tent weight, I'll have to do some experimenting to find out for sure, it will depend on how much my UQ and TQ end up weighing which I have yet to make. I've made two hammocks, a single and a double, the one I see using is 13 oz, 11' long. The tarp at present is 12' long x 10' wide, I'll need to shave some weight off it.

msupple
02-27-2014, 19:47
I personally own a Clark NX 250, Dream Hammocks Thunderbird, Tree to Tree Gear, Claytor Jungle, Warbonnet Ridgerunner and an ENO. I had a Warbonnet Blackbird but didn't care for it. My current favorite is my Ridgerunner.

Cat in the Hat

blue indian
02-27-2014, 21:01
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single paired with a Warbonnet edge tarp, 3 season yeti underquilt, and a golite 3 season topquilt.

Awesome and highly recommended.

However, it is a little on the heavy side. But I could reduce weight by switching to a 1.1 single with whoopie slings, but Im happy with what I have right now.

For a thru, I would go with a darien dream with a hammock gear cuben fiber tarp.

SouthMark
02-27-2014, 21:58
Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 single - 7.7 oz with whoopee slings.

Deacon
02-28-2014, 07:03
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single paired with a Warbonnet edge tarp, 3 season yeti underquilt, and a golite 3 season topquilt.

Awesome and highly recommended.

However, it is a little on the heavy side. But I could reduce weight by switching to a 1.1 single with whoopie slings, but Im happy with what I have right now.

For a thru, I would go with a darien dream with a hammock gear cuben fiber tarp.

I hike the Long Trail last year with a Darien UL hammock. It is light, but I think the 1.0 single layer is too light.

Laying in the hammock feels like you are a watermelon, or a cantaloupe being carried in a plastic grocery bag. There's not a lot of support. You really sink right down into it. I weigh 180.

Not being negative but that's my experience.

Trebor66
02-28-2014, 07:37
Maybe I'm the last one to find out but I just saw that ENO is coming out with a new model. It seems to be a single nest with a integrated zippered big net, called the Jungle Nest. It weighs in at 1lb 11oz which isn't too bad. At 99 bucks it may make my birthday wish list. Has anyone seen one in person yet?

Doc Mike
02-28-2014, 07:48
Wbbb 1.1 double. I recommend the double cause skeeters can't get you through it. I also have a couple Hennessy asym's that I use to introduce people to hammocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toon
02-28-2014, 08:26
I use a eno. With a pro fly tarp. And a eno bug net. I like being able to use the tarp and bugnet on the ground if there are no trees.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Busky2
02-28-2014, 09:32
Well for colder nights I use the NX250 with weather shield and in the dawg days and nights of summer I use the Hennessy Safari, and when out for a day hike I may put the Grand Trunk UL in the bag for a mid day lunch/nap. So this year in April and May on the AT I'll be going with Clark June thru August the Hennessy, then back to the Clark.

aclawrence
08-29-2014, 07:49
I have two DIY hammocks. A 10' and 11'. Haven't seen wilderness logics mentioned yet. They make some great hammocks.

SteelCut
08-29-2014, 08:13
Warbonnet Blackbird (Double Layer 1.1) with Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Tarp w/ Doors.

Country Roads
08-30-2014, 15:17
WB Blackbird, 1.1 single and 1.1 double. Double is way more comfy, but heavier. Love that double! I switched back to the double after using both on a recent trip. I did not realize just how big a difference that second layer makes. I am well within the weight limit for the single, but it does stretch a lot more. I have gotten the weigh of the double down to 19 ounces without the suspension. This does include my ridgeline light and a couple of pieces of cord with mitten hooks to pull out the shelf and the door side.
I also use a MBM hammock (made by me). I can totally customize my home made hammocks. I have one, a 9 footer, 1.1 material (7 ounces with dynagide continuous loops and an adjustable ridgeline), with a full-length Tulle bug net (1 1/2 ounces) and a customized strap suspension (using 8 foot straps, altogether the suspension weighs 5 1/2 ounces). The set up weighs in at 14 ounces for the whole mess. Very comfy and convenient.

Hang R
08-30-2014, 15:39
I have a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double and a 11' Dream Hammock FreeBird. Both good hammocks but I am really enjoying the FreeBird right now. I love the openness with no net to bother with.

12trysomething
08-30-2014, 16:17
Buggy season - Netty from Hammeck and non-buggy season - Snipe from Wilderness Logics. I have other hammocks but those 2 seem to be my go-to set ups.

fwish
09-01-2014, 11:02
Warbonnet DL 1.7 is my hammock of choice.

kayak karl
09-01-2014, 11:15
had 3 HH and 3 DIY. for bug net i like HH Ultra Exp and in the winter i use the DIY. one is 1.9 coated nylon 12' for me and dog, other 1.9 11' for just me.

SteelCut
09-01-2014, 12:44
Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1. I was originally planning on using a pad and hence the DL. Since I'm now using an UQ, I'm now thinking about either a SL 1.7 Blackbird or going with something from Dream Hammock or Hammeck and try either the Argon 1.6 or HyperD 1.6 fabric.

SilentBob
09-01-2014, 12:58
I use a light owl made by wilderness logics. It's' not the lightest hammock weighing twenty ounces but I like a double layer hammock. My three season base weight is 9.5 lbs so it doesn't play a factor and I get a good nights sleep.For winter hangs I used a Dream Hammock Thunderbird.

gbolt
09-02-2014, 20:04
I love my Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dbl in a Bishop bag plus Dutch clips and hope to stay off the ground for good. I currently use an Edge Tarp with Walmart $2 DIY Snakeskins and Dutch Stingerz; while I save for a Cuben Fiber Winter Palace. I currently use a Pad that will work in conjunction with 3/4 UQ when I get to that point. Both Whiteblaze,net and Hammockforum.com are great sites for research, learning, and making backpacking/hiking so much more fulfilling. Thanks!

overthinker
09-11-2014, 22:24
Dream Hammock Thunderbird: 11', made of green Argon 1.6.

11' crinkle taffeta DIY gathered end

ENO Doublenest

11.6' DIY Argon 90

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-11-2014, 23:12
My first (and only) hammock is a Hennessey Backpacker Asym. I've been very happy with it.

Just bought one with the 4 season shelter to try off DaHoyt's Hiker Gear FB page.

alverhootzt
09-12-2014, 20:42
I like a simple hammock - Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.1. Perfect and cheap

OCDave
09-12-2014, 21:07
I have several: started with 2 ENO Double Nests, added 2 Warbonnet Blackbirds, a 1.7 SL and a 1.1 DL but, my favorite is my Wilderness Logics Lite Owl.

BuckeyeBill
09-17-2014, 23:39
I got a Blackbird DL 1.1

Jake2c
11-13-2014, 01:12
I use a HH Explorer. That has been fine for me, it sold me on hammock camping as I was a committed tent guy. I think if I was going to get another one it may be a WBBB 1.7 dbl. I think the foot box looks like it would be comfortable. Very happy with the HH at the moment.

Deadeye
11-13-2014, 01:53
liked my Hennessey, love my Blackbird

Gram Weenie
11-28-2014, 11:05
I have 4 hammocks,but my 11.5' DIY hammock is by far my favorite

HogFan
12-17-2014, 16:10
Looking at getting an ENO Jungle Nest hammock. I figure its tough to beat for $100.

Connie
12-17-2014, 17:24
I have a Grand Trunk Travel Hammock I purchased "on sale" to find out if I like a camping hammock.

I like it well enough to purchase their Nano.

u.w.
12-17-2014, 21:51
I make my own. One woodland 1.9oz, and one multi 1.9oz - both cam - both diez feet.

u.w.

Dochartaigh
12-17-2014, 22:45
Have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7, Dutch PolyD 1.4, Dutch Argon 1.6. Have on order a Hammeck DL PolyD 1.4, and a Dream Hammock HyperD 1.6 - going to test out both of those and see which'll go on the trail with me. Oh, all are 11'.

1azarus
12-17-2014, 23:00
I have a Grand Trunk Travel Hammock I purchased "on sale" to find out if I like a camping hammock.

I like it well enough to purchase their Nano.
you go, Connie! I am a real fan of that hammock.

Unitic
12-18-2014, 09:11
BIAS Weight Weenie Micro and a Camper, and a Warbonnet BB

Abatis1948
12-18-2014, 10:28
I have just got into hammock camping and I love it. I am working on a system now to accompany me on my 2016 thru. I use ENO, but am searching for more lightweight equipment and a way to add warmth to my system. Unless I can find something better, I will stick with mostly ENO. I do like the Atlas straps, they make setup and take down fast.

Dochartaigh
12-18-2014, 11:02
Abatis, do some research and read, read, read!!! There's SO much better than ENO out there. A simple $32 11' long hammock from dutchwaregear.com gives superior comfort and weighs about 9.5 ounces. Suspension is also superior to the heavy and bulky Atlas straps (4.5 ounces for a complete Dutch Speed Hook setup with tree straps - very easy to adjust as well).

Abatis1948
12-18-2014, 11:24
Abatis, do some research and read, read, read!!! There's SO much better than ENO out there. A simple $32 11' long hammock from dutchwaregear.com gives superior comfort and weighs about 9.5 ounces. Suspension is also superior to the heavy and bulky Atlas straps (4.5 ounces for a complete Dutch Speed Hook setup with tree straps - very easy to adjust as well).

Thanks, will do.

gunner76
12-18-2014, 13:56
Abatis1948 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/47470-Abatis1948) ....there will be a large group hang in Florida this Jan. Recommend you attend it so you can check out the different set ups and get some ideas.

zelph
12-19-2014, 10:42
Grizz-Bridge.......oh soo comfy

FooFooCuddlyPoops
09-23-2015, 14:13
Walmart Brand. :-P Seriously though, this hammock has been a life saver. I have never been farther than a couple miles from the car with it, but it has lasted me two-three years of here-there use. Car-Camping, Back-packing. Canoe-camping. I use cheap tree bands, original rope, etc.

I am updating to a light hammock for my section hike next may, but this hammock has help up for being a twenty dolor hammock.

koolranch
10-14-2015, 18:27
Hammeck, Hennessy and DIY.

ChrisJackson
10-14-2015, 18:45
Been in a HH Exped for a while but just got my WB Blackbird and love it. The fabric feels nice. The side zip is great. My HH is bottom entry so the side zip is super. The shelf is awesome. Foot box is great too. First trip in it this weekend!

gbolt
10-14-2015, 19:00
Like every piece of gear, you need to create a list of desired requirements, desired max weight, ease of set up and takedown, insulation method, and extra perks; along with your bottom line $$. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 (versus a 1.7) Double Layer hammock at 28 oz. including the non detachable bug net. It sets up quickly and easily with the Straps provided and the buckles to adjust, while also using Dutch Clips purchased seperately. It packs in a double sided stuff sac that came with the hammock. I originally used a pad, thus the double layer, but also wanted protection against mosquitoes and also getting a more "stiff" support for sleep and better weight bearing with less sag. The DL also provides a place to stick "damp" cloths, (inbetween layers) between my body and my Under Quilt, which does allow some drying to occur. Extra's include the gear pocket by the head and the footbox that allows a better angled lay with less calf stress and a flatter sleep position. I was already to purchase a Tarp Tent and decided to spend the $175 instead of the $225, thinking that I wouldn't risk losing that much in a resale. Was a non issue! 1st Night sleep was better than any recent night on the ground so I am "hung up on hammocks". Those that beleive in Warbonnet usually now choose the XLC at a slight weight penalty to be able to fully unzip and remove the bugnet when not needed. There are some other choices at Warbonnet as well. Other cottages out there to consider: Dream Hammock, Wilderness Logic... most providing a ready to go, full service hammock out of the sac, for those not sure they want to DIY or Build a system.

If one does, the choices become even greater with the new Dutch wit on down the line, adding a Fronkey Bugnet, choosing, creating, or swapping out woopie slings and other suspension straps and choices. I'm too old a Dog to learn to many new tricks lol, so I made the choice I made.

ENO has been good about getting people into thinking hammocks. However, most hangers move on to other choices that better meet their desired requirements (stated in the 1st paragraph). Hope this helps a little.

coastwatcher42
10-17-2015, 03:05
I bought my first hammock, a ENO Doublenest, about a month ago along with the Atlas straps, Profly tarp, and insect netting. Due to illness, I haven't had the chance to use it yet and, unless I get an underquilt, probably won't until next year.

tflaris
10-19-2015, 18:58
Hennessy Hyperlight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stubby
10-20-2015, 13:48
ENO, with mods. Replaced boat-anchor carabiners with the lightest climbing-grade 'biners I could find. Replaced fat end-ropes with lighter line loops. Ditched the slap-straps for a DIY line and tree-strap. Added a MLD cuben tarp. Kept the built in pouch, cram the line and straps in with it.

mapman
10-20-2015, 19:18
Recently bought my first hammock...Hammeck Netty 1.6 Hexon.

ChrisJackson
10-20-2015, 19:21
Recently bought my first hammock...Hammeck Netty 1.6 Hexon.

That's a nice hammock! Was so so so close to getting it as well. Enjoy it!

35king
05-16-2016, 23:38
Had my first hammock experience Saturday. WBBB 1.7, it is worth the cash. I'm 315lbs and it takes the weight. Easy to setup, easy to adjust with the cinch buckles and the stuff sack it comes in does the job. The foot box allows a flatter lay and the tie outs along with the built in ridge line keep the netting away from your face, which is very nice.

Connie
05-17-2016, 05:25
Grand Trunk Nano, Hammock Gear Burrow 20 and Hammock Gear Diamond tarp.

I use a windshield sunscreen under me.

I am considering a 3/4 underquilt to extend use of the hammock.

rocketsocks
05-17-2016, 17:19
When I look at Eno's (that seem to advertised everywhere) they look like the sides come up way to high for my liking? What say you?

GA_Windbreaker
05-17-2016, 20:23
You need that extra width to lay on a diagonal to get a somewhat flat lay. At just over 9ft, the ENO still wasn't really long enough for me to get a flat lay. I am now the proud owner of a Dream Hammock Darien. Just under 15oz and has an integrated bug net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
05-17-2016, 20:33
WBBB but thinking of cheating on her with a Dutch Half-wit.

fastfoxengineering
05-17-2016, 22:41
Building a new ultralight setup based around a 9' hexon 1.0 from Dutch... At 5'8" I find a 9 footer plenty comfy for thru hiking purposes

rocketsocks
05-17-2016, 23:52
You need that extra width to lay on a diagonal to get a somewhat flat lay. At just over 9ft, the ENO still wasn't really long enough for me to get a flat lay. I am now the proud owner of a Dream Hammock Darien. Just under 15oz and has an integrated bug net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkah gotcha, thanks.

SteelCut
05-18-2016, 07:43
WBBB but thinking of cheating on her with a Dutch Half-wit.

I'm in a similar boat. My Half-Wit arrives tomorrow.

CoolBobby
05-18-2016, 11:34
WB BB XLC. Mmmmm Home.

goathanger
05-18-2016, 16:08
The most comfortable hammock I've laid in, is my SLD Trail Lair. Don't ask me why it's more comfortable than my others. I don't know.

It's magic.

Poof.

ChrisJackson
05-18-2016, 18:22
Changed my mind at the last minute re half-wit. Ordered 11 ft wide netless in hexon 1.6 from Dutch with an 11 ft Fronkey. Oh, went with a structural ridgeline really just for the Fronkey.

The Roaming Gnome
07-08-2016, 10:49
I own three models from Dream Hammock. The Darien, The Roaming Gnome and The Thunderbird. Excellent quality, built to your specifications, top notch customer service, affordable and a member of our community. They are just one of many cottage vendors here who make an excellent product. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I enjoyed it but it was too heavy. I wanted a hammock that could be customized to shave ounces.

zelph
07-08-2016, 15:09
"Professor Hammock" Custom Grizz-Bridge Made in the USA, Central Illinois :-)

Secondmouse
07-08-2016, 15:45
Dutch 11" netless, standard width with Dual Knotty mods and ridgeline...

Minos
08-10-2016, 01:55
Dutch 11" netless, standard width with Dual Knotty mods and ridgeline...

How do you fing the Dual Knotty mods for a regular width Dutch. It seems he advertise them for larger width hammock so I am wondering if they are any good.
Minos

Five Tango
08-10-2016, 07:51
Started with Hennessey Expedition Asym.Sorta heavy with a tiny tarp.Got their larger tarp.Hated their insulation system.Went to a Dutch Argon netless with JRB Winter Nest and UQ2Q uq protector for winter use.For 3 season use a WBBB 1.1DL and an HG Phoenix 20 uq.I fought with pads for a long time that were hard to stay on top of,even in the DL WBBB so I bit the bullet and went for the downy goodness-NO going back to pads now............

SWODaddy
08-10-2016, 09:12
I have a Dutch 11' netless and like it a lot.

T.S.Kobzol
08-10-2016, 09:30
WBB 1.1 and 1.7 and XLC

MikekiM
06-02-2017, 15:54
I am using a WBBB 1.1 SL...

Quickly falling out of love with it.

I smitten for a Dream Hammock Raven in 1.6 Hyper D

Billiard Yeti
11-02-2018, 10:12
Dream Hammock Sparrow, but getting a Dutchware Chameleon next week (smaller and better for backpacking)...439774397843977439794398043981

DownYonder
11-02-2018, 10:21
Only experience is with Dutch's Chameleon. I sleep like a baby in a modified side-sleeper position!!

Feral Bill
11-02-2018, 11:57
Dream Hammocks Raven. Couldn't be happier.

Five Tango
11-03-2018, 08:29
Dutchwaregear.com side zip Hexon 1.0 Not quite as comfortable as their Argon 1.6 but it has an integrated bug net and weighs in at around 13 oz.I also like my WBBB 1.1DL but it is just too heavy;ditto my Hennessy Expedition.

Cheyou
11-04-2018, 08:45
I wish you would include system weights . Not counting top or under quilt .

thom

cmoulder
11-05-2018, 07:57
I wish you would include system weights . Not counting top or under quilt .

thom

As an example, I have a Chameleon, 11' length 58" width, Hexon 1.0, with asym winter top cover, which with 2x 12' Venom straps weighs about 530 grams. Using J-bend to connect to hammock continuous loops, so no hardware necessary.

I have DH Darien 10-footers (64" width) in 1.7 and 1.2 Robic and can give you exact weights on those, as well as a couple of HG DCF tarps with guy line weights included. Also no hardware... if you use Lawson's Glowire or Statline, you can do all rigging with knots/hitches/bends. And it doesn't require nearly as much rigging and doo-dads as a lot of hangers employ.

MikekiM
11-09-2018, 19:30
I am going to update my preference.. Since posting above, I have made two DIY 11' hammocks...

One in 1.6 Hyper D with a fully removable zippered bug net using DIY modular zippers.

One in 1.2 Robic, with a Dutch Half Wit style bug net in 0.5 noseeum.. a UL option for sure.

The 1.6 is unquestionably more comfortable but I love the Robic and having a sub-10 oz rig for when going long, light and fast.

doublewide
12-24-2018, 13:23
I have a Warbonnet Ridge runner and will buy a Blackbird XLC double for the extra space and comfort.

Five Tango
12-24-2018, 14:36
sorry for the double post so I delete.

zelph
12-25-2018, 02:13
I have a "Grizz Bridge" totally satisfied. would buy again, great customer service!

Rex Clifton
12-26-2018, 11:00
I have a "Grizz Bridge" totally satisfied. would buy again, great customer service!

I thought the grizz bridge was a diy only hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orthofingers
12-26-2018, 17:34
I started with a Byer of Maine "Moskito Kakoon" that I bought on sale for $29. Used it for a couple of short trips. Figured out that I loved hanging but realized there was much better stuff out there. Bought a WBBB XLC and like it a lot. My son uses a Warbonnet Eldorado double layer (1.7 I think). My wife just bought a WB Eldorado single layer.

ant
12-30-2018, 15:02
Currently using an 11’ Simply Light Designs Streamliner made of 1.0 oz Robic. The hammock alone is less than 8 oz.

OCDave
12-30-2018, 16:47
Many of the hammocks mentioned recently didn't exist when the thread was started. My personal favorite, the Wildernes Logics Lite Owl, can no longer be purchased new.

macdiver
07-03-2019, 22:11
Warbonnet Blackbird and Superfly tarp.

Feral Bill
07-04-2019, 16:18
I started with a Byer of Maine "Moskito Kakoon" that I bought on sale for $29. Used it for a couple of short trips. Figured out that I loved hanging but realized there was much better stuff out there. Bought a WBBB XLC and like it a lot. My son uses a Warbonnet Eldorado double layer (1.7 I think). My wife just bought a WB Eldorado single layer.. I started with Byers Moskito Teaveler. When it deposited me on the ground many miles from the nearest road head I upgraded. It was a decent hammock while it lasted, but nowhere near as nice as my Dream Hammock.

MikekiM
07-05-2019, 06:27
I am going to update my preference.. Since posting above, I have made two DIY 11' hammocks...

One in 1.6 Hyper D with a fully removable zippered bug net using DIY modular zippers.

One in 1.2 Robic, with a Dutch Half Wit style bug net in 0.5 noseeum.. a UL option for sure.

The 1.6 is unquestionably more comfortable but I love the Robic and having a sub-10 oz rig for when going long, light and fast.

Time to update my response again...

Recently completed an 11' gathered end hammock in 1.0 Monolite, with dynaglide CLs and a removable half wit style bug net that can be fitted to the 1.6 Hyper D as well. I really like the Monolite.. far more supportive than one expects it to be.. really comfortable. Complete, in a DCF stuff sack it is 8oz on the button. Bonus is being able to see through it. Nice to see what going on behind the wall of fabric and great to be able to see the position of the UQ. Just recv'd another order of 1.6 Hyper D and will be making another with the shorter (lighter) zippers.

Southeast
07-05-2019, 11:39
Time to update my response again...

Recently completed an 11' gathered end hammock in 1.0 Monolite, with dynaglide CLs and a removable half wit style bug net that can be fitted to the 1.6 Hyper D as well. I really like the Monolite.. far more supportive than one expects it to be.. really comfortable. Complete, in a DCF stuff sack it is 8oz on the button. Bonus is being able to see through it. Nice to see what going on behind the wall of fabric and great to be able to see the position of the UQ. Just recv'd another order of 1.6 Hyper D and will be making another with the shorter (lighter) zippers.

Jealous of that 8 ounces part.
Not sure I could stand the bugs with a half wit style bugnet. How do you find it?

MikekiM
07-05-2019, 19:41
Jealous of that 8 ounces part.
Not sure I could stand the bugs with a half wit style bugnet. How do you find it?

If you have something over your legs, then there is no issue at all. The bug net seals well against the loft of a TQ, even if the quilt is only on your legs. When it gets really warm, a silk TQ, treated with permetherin is sufficient. Hammock is treated with permetherin at the foot end as well, as is the bug net itself.

ant
07-05-2019, 22:01
Dutchware Chameleon 1.0 Hexon with symmetrical top cover and whoopies.

Simply Light Designs Trail Lair in 1.1 with whoopies. Love the 15.7 oz weight but a bit redundant with the Chameleon now.. Debating with myself about selling this one. So comfortable and light.

Hillbillyhanger
07-06-2019, 14:02
Warbonnet Blackbird XL Doubled-Layer 1.1. Not the lightest in the world, but the double-layer provides protection from the 'skeeters. I started with a single layer Hennessy which was OK and good to start with, but the mosquitoes ate me up during a week long trip in July. Double-layer solved that problem. I also have a single layer 1.6 Dutch ware hammock with the knotty mod that I love for Winter trips.

E.T.
02-02-2020, 11:01
Dream Hammock Sparrow, Dangerbird and Darien. the Dangerbird has been retired but keep it as a loner, the Darien is for my fall, spring and summer outings when I'm wanting light weight. the sparrow is my winter and car camping hammock

Five Tango
02-02-2020, 15:26
Started with Hennessey Expedition Asym.Sorta heavy with a tiny tarp.Got their larger tarp.Hated their insulation system.Went to a Dutch Argon netless with JRB Winter Nest and UQ2Q uq protector for winter use.For 3 season use a WBBB 1.1DL and an HG Phoenix 20 uq.I fought with pads for a long time that were hard to stay on top of,even in the DL WBBB so I bit the bullet and went for the downy goodness-NO going back to pads now............

Update-I moved on to a Dutch Hexon 1.0 side zip with a net.Net makes hammock quite a bit warmer in winter.Some of my hiking buds are augmenting their set ups with a Mountain Laurel Designs pad that weighs 3.5 oz when the weather pushes the limits of a 20F set of quilts.I have one but have not yet tested it.

xMagnolia
02-03-2020, 15:06
I just got an SLD Trail Lair! Spent the last 7 years in a modified ENO singlenest. I'm looking forward to trying out my new Hammock at a group Hang in 2 weeks at the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama.

Ewker
02-03-2020, 16:03
I have a DIY Bridge Hammock modeled after the Warbonnet Bridge hammock. The other hammock is a JRB bridge hammock.

chef4
02-03-2020, 16:54
I've got a WB Eldorado, experimenting with a rare Dutchware hammock called 'Flippin the bird'; it has a draping Bugnet and is really light (14 oz or less). My main goal is to have as light a hammock as possible for an upcoming thruhike, without having cold nights or a high probability of equipment failure. Have also looked at the halfwit.

Five Tango
02-04-2020, 08:03
You can get a complete zippered bug net from Dutch that weighs 14.1 oz (396grams)-Sidezip 11 footer in Hexon 1.0,capacity 200 lbs.Other fabrics are a bit heavier.My preference is Argon 90 but I am living with the Hexon just fine because of its lower weight despite the fact that it is a bit "stretchy".

There's a lot of manufacturers out there in the light weight hammock market and it's worth checking them all out before you buy.Lots of people go for Dream Hammocks and they have plenty to choose from.

chef4
02-04-2020, 17:41
Thank you, I have some concerns about the heron 1.0 (I'm a bit close to weight limit), but I'll take a look. I think half a net sounds like trouble.