PDA

View Full Version : Too Late?

Stink Bug
09-09-2013, 16:07
I just finished my AT NOBO and I still have itchy feet. As I've already hiked 100 miles of the LT I figured I'd finish off the remaining 175 or so while I still have trail legs.

I can get to Rutland within a week or so and NOBO but given the crazy weather we had on the AT this year it may be too late.

What is the usual window for a NOBO thru?

peakbagger
09-09-2013, 16:57
Usually there will be snow on the summits by the end of September , it usually melts during the day. Lot folks to it if for foliage so they would go southbound.

Slo-go'en
09-09-2013, 17:22
It's a gamble, but I think you'll be okay until the middle of October. I stayed on as fall caretaker at Taft Lodge on Mt Mansfield until after Columbus day weekend, at which point it was definately time to leave. Just be ready for some really cold nights.

Cookerhiker
09-09-2013, 20:42
If you're only going to hike the non-AT portion of 172 miles and you're starting in about a week i.e. mid-September, you shouldn't have any problems at all. As you likely know, the northern LT is challenging but hey, you just finished a thruhike in Maine!

Mags
09-09-2013, 20:48
Even at "only" 15 MPD, you can bang out the last 170 miles in 11 or 12 days. Esp going sobo, should beat any really nasty weather and you just might run into stunning New England foliage.

R1ma
09-10-2013, 11:18
Well, tomorrow it is supposed to be 90 here (91 in Rutland)...

But, the weather should be fine for the rest of September, no problem. If you start a week from today, Tuesday through Thursday should be perfect (68 to 71, clear and sunny), at 550 feet.

1azarus
09-10-2013, 12:02
if it makes you feel any better, i'll be sectioning from killington north to the Winooski river starting October 18th. As Alfred E. Neuman says, "What, me worry?" Not likely to encounter more than bragging rights snow.

Stink Bug
09-11-2013, 12:08
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'm heading back to Maine (BSP), meeting up with some friends who are about to finish their thru hikes and then heading to Vermont. Can't wait to get the dirt beneath my feet!