PDA

View Full Version : Rescue from Thomas Knob Shelter - Sept. 7, 2013

smkymtns
09-09-2013, 16:58
On Saturday, I was hiking with my friend and fellow ham radio guy, Pete, en route to Mt. Rogers. We had been planning this for months and we were both very excited about the trip. One of our 'things' is to hike up to the top of mountains, set up a small portable radio and talk to people from around the world. I had never actually hiked with Pete before, but he seemed to not be running on all cylinders this particular day. When we reached the shelter at Thomas Knob, Pete asked to take another break and things started going downhill from there. Long story short, the symptoms started piling up and it was pretty apparent that he was having a heart attack. Thanks to fellow hikers, aspirin was administered and a call to 911 was placed. A little more than an hour later, Pete was loaded in a helicopter and was taken to Bristol Regional Medical Center. I am extremely happy to say that Pete is doing well and is being released from the hospital today (with two stents in his previously 100% blocked artery).

I just wanted to post this up to send out a really big Thanks! to everyone at the shelter on Saturday. There was a slightly different type of Trail Magic afoot that day!

Happy Trails!

pat

Slo-go'en
09-09-2013, 17:32
Glad it had a happy ending. That's one reason I always pack asprin.

BTW, what rig were you lugging up there? Possibly one of mine? (KD1JV)

quasarr
09-09-2013, 18:10
WOW! Me and my friend were up there the same day! At the gate, the ranger asked if we heard about the "ruckus" at the shelter, and I said no, thinking it was probably a feisty bear. He told us about the evacuation that had happened only minutes ago! But he didn't know how the hiker was doing. I'm really glad to hear that he is well. :)

Trillium
09-09-2013, 18:32
Now that's Trail Magic that no one can criticize.

Very glad to hear that your friend is doing well!

Kudos also to the helicopter & medical personnel involved!

wornoutboots
09-09-2013, 20:59
Glad it had a Happy ending!!

mtnkngxt
09-09-2013, 21:16
Glad to hear your buddy is doing well.

smkymtns
09-09-2013, 23:02
Glad it had a happy ending. That's one reason I always pack asprin.

BTW, what rig were you lugging up there? Possibly one of mine? (KD1JV)

Yep, I now have one of those keychain pill containers so an aspirin will never be far away. In the woods or anywhere else!

I broke my FT-817 out of retirement for this trip, because I wanted to try a little 2m SSB. But, I realized at the trailhead that I forgot to pack my tuner for HF. So I lugged along the KX3 as well. This was NOT an ultralight backpacking trip for sure!!! How much does an ATS weigh? Sounding better everyday!

Thanks for the comments folks and I will pass along the good vibes to Pete.

Here's a few pictures of the excitement (as well as other more mundane things like ponies, steers and stunning views) ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smkymtns/9713407396/in/set-72157635459319822

pat (KI4SVM)

quasarr
09-10-2013, 09:20
Those scenery pics are beautiful!! Absolutely gorgeous!

SawnieRobertson
09-10-2013, 10:14
This was a very interesting set of posts. Aspirin, yes. They are, after all, quite light weight.

Butterfly58
09-10-2013, 10:34
Glad everything worked out well! Best wishes to your friend Pete. Great pics!

FarmerChef
09-10-2013, 10:37
So glad everything turned out ok. So thankful you guys had such a close and accessible spot for the chopper to land. Boy the stars really aligned for this. Some might call it the hand of providence ;)

smkymtns
09-10-2013, 11:02
So glad everything turned out ok. So thankful you guys had such a close and accessible spot for the chopper to land. Boy the stars really aligned for this. Some might call it the hand of providence ;)

I totally agree that an amazing sequence of events led to the successful rescue. The situation could have been much worse if we had not stopped at the shelter that day. We are usually flying solo in this particular niche of our amateur radio hobby and we are often hiking off-trail to seldom visited peaks. I am so grateful that was not the case on Saturday, as the outcome may have been very different. Lots of things to think about. :-?

Slo-go'en
09-10-2013, 11:51
I broke my FT-817 out of retirement for this trip, because I wanted to try a little 2m SSB. But, I realized at the trailhead that I forgot to pack my tuner for HF. So I lugged along the KX3 as well. This was NOT an ultralight backpacking trip for sure!!! How much does an ATS weigh? Sounding better everyday!

pat (KI4SVM)

The lastest version of the ATS (Mountain topper) got a bit heavy at 6 oz. But that includes the steel/aluminum case instead of the traditional Altoids tin used in the past. Add batteries, paddle, headphones and antenna and you can still keep the complete set up to just over a pound. I'll try to get a lighter case made for the next version I hope to have available in the spring.

two isles
09-10-2013, 12:32
pics are absolutely beautiful!
I had a similar episode with my hiking buddy near the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Fortunately, his wasn't a full blown heart attack, but some kind of heart anomaly.
We found a shuttle out for him.

I am glad your buddy is doing ok.

Snowleopard
09-10-2013, 13:23
I'm glad your friend is doing OK.

... BTW, what rig were you lugging up there? Possibly one of mine? (KD1JV)
Ah, my two worlds (hiking and ham radio) intersect. I've seen the KD1JV kits online and have been thinking of building one, but didn't know that Slo-go'en and KD1JV are the same person.

dmax
09-10-2013, 14:22
I'm glad to hear everything worked out good. The wife and I was up there on Wed and Thurs and met one hiker that said he was planning on doing some ham radio...

Another Kevin
09-10-2013, 16:27
Wow, you guys are bringing back memories. I still keep up my license (KE9TV/2), but haven't been on the air in a very long time.

I've always wondered whether I ever should get/build some sort of QRP-SSB rig and a magnet-wire dipole, and try to get on air in the field (maybe do some SOTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summits_on_the_Air) work?)

But this is straying way off topic. Maybe spin a new thread?

smkymtns
09-10-2013, 18:43
Wow, you guys are bringing back memories. I still keep up my license (KE9TV/2), but haven't been on the air in a very long time.

I've always wondered whether I ever should get/build some sort of QRP-SSB rig and a magnet-wire dipole, and try to get on air in the field (maybe do some SOTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summits_on_the_Air) work?)

But this is straying way off topic. Maybe spin a new thread?

Sounds like a good idea, come on over to SOTA discussion (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98251-Summits-on-the-Air-(Ham-Radio)) thread.

BTW, Pete and I were heading to Mt. Rogers for a SOTA activation. I will wait until he recovers and is ready to try it again.

Del Q
09-10-2013, 22:35
Without going into details, Doctors will tell you to chew up 4 baby aspirin if you are or think that you are having a heart attack. I carry them in my car 100% of the time now. As well when I am on the AT

Have been taking an 81mg aspirin for like 30 years..............good medicine.