PDA

View Full Version : Hiker dies in Duncannon train accident - 7/10/05 Sympathy to the family

c.coyle
07-10-2005, 14:45
Hiker dies in Duncannon train accident (http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2005/07/10/news/news04.txt)

kyhipo
07-10-2005, 14:50
sorry to hear that unfortinate news ,i almost got hit their too :dance ky

Heater
07-10-2005, 15:02
Hiker dies in Duncannon train accident (http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2005/07/10/news/news04.txt)
They talk about "the reunion". Are they talking about the Hiker feed and fiasco?

So sorry to hear about this!

Jack Tarlin
07-10-2005, 17:07
Very briefly:

The deceased was, in fact, present in Duncannon for the hiker feed (he arrived in town with friends late Thursday evening).

None of us knew anything about this tragedy until Saturday morning.

The police are still investigating, and as of mid-day today (Sunday), are still unsure of many of the details, specifically how and why he came to be on the tracks, which are on the opposite side of Main Street, and well away from where he and the other hikers were camped.

We had a local minister as a guest at our camp this morning, who spoke about this incident at a service at our campsite; we also observed a moment of silence for the deceased just before the event dispersed.

Everyone present in Duncannon this weekend was greatly distressed, and of course this cast a very long shadow on what was otherwise a very happy weekend for all of the hikers present. We hope to learn more about the incident when the accident investigators deliver more details later this week.

Smile
07-10-2005, 21:38
Does anyone know what trail name he was going by if any?

Tha Wookie
07-10-2005, 22:25
Very sad..... my prayers are with his family, fiancee, and spirit....

TakeABreak
07-10-2005, 22:31
Same here, Wookie.

neo
07-10-2005, 22:42
very sad to here this,my prayers are with his family:cool: neo

trailangelmary
07-12-2005, 08:23
The hikers trailname is Packstock.

Smile
07-12-2005, 08:25
Does anyone know this guys trail name? Hoping it's not a really cool guy from Alabama I met a while back on my SH at Ed Garvery shelter.....

trailangelmary
07-12-2005, 08:54
Photo of Packstock which is at the site of his death with cross & wildflowers courtesy of Cucumber Boy.

MOWGLI
07-12-2005, 09:42
Photo of Packstock taken on July 8 attached.

So young - so full of life. Damn shame.

Miss Janet
07-12-2005, 11:47
Justins family has a request in lieu of flowers or monatary gifts from the hiking community, Billville or anyone else.

If anyone who spent time with Justin this year on the AT would please take a moment and write anything about his experiences, things he saw and shared with you. He wasn't keeping a journal and they think it will be something special they would like to have. Any photos of Justin taken this year would also be appreciated. I will collect these if you send them to me at

[email protected]

Miss Janet

Miss Janet
07-12-2005, 23:28
Justin Miles Kenny
KENNY, JUSTIN MILES, born October 6, 1977 in Fayette, Ala., died July 9, 2005 in Duncannon, Pa., in an accident while hiking the Appalachian Trail. That small town of his passing, coincidentally, was the site of his paternal great-grandfather's first job in America (as a lumberjack) in the early 20th century as an immigrant from Lithuania. A lifelong adventurer, Kenny took on the famous A.T. as a summer project and was about 1,000 miles along when his remarkable life was cut short. A gifted songwriter, musician and singer, Kenny played bass and lead guitar in several bands in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham before forming his own ensemble he named Separate Species. Although largely self taught, Kenny studied music at Shelton State, particularly singing under Glinda Blackshear, and sang with the Shelton Singers. Also a health and fitness enthusiast, he earned a wellness personal trainer certificate at Shelton in 2000. Justin seemed driven to experience as much of life as he could, which led him to work on a sheep farm near the arctic circle in Norway when he was 18, to hitchhike across the country, to canoe with a friend down the Cahaba to the Alabama River and many other adventures. Justin leaves as a legacy scores (if not hundreds) of beautiful ballads composed during the last 10 years of his life. His prolific songwriting began in Las Vegas where he was known to create as many as three complete songs (during and after working the night shift at the airport) with ingenious rhyming lyrics and original music. A dynamic, big-hearted poet-athlete, Justin seemed to know his candle would not burn very long, so he made sure it burned so brightly. Justin M. Kenny is survived by his fiancée Emily Delzell of Birmingham, by his mother Carla Shelton of the Liberty Community near Ethelsville, by his father and step-mother James M. and Julie Kenny of Tuscaloosa, by his brother Dylan Kenny of Liberty, by his maternal grandparents Carl and Nellie Shelton of Liberty and his paternal grandmother Joan Kenny of Sterling Heights, Mich. Justin's family, including his uncles from Michigan and California, will receive visitors at the Dowdle Funeral Home in Millport, Ala. on Wednesday from 2-3 p.m. A memorial service will be held at the funeral home and burial will follow immediately on a hilly spot in the family plot under the stars at Andrews Chapel in Liberty. The Dowdle Funeral Home's address is 270 McCadams, Street, Millport, Ala., 35576.
Published in The Birmingham News on 7/12/2005.

Sly
07-12-2005, 23:59
Wow, we have the same birthday, 'cept I'm a little older.

Patrickjd9
07-13-2005, 21:48
Rest in peace, Justin.

lilmountaingirl
07-14-2005, 00:47
I'm so sorry to hear such news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Bankrobber
07-14-2005, 14:39
What a beautiful life to celebrate. It is sad that it is not continuing, but at least he died living to the fullest on the AT.

Tha Wookie
07-14-2005, 15:42
Is any of his music recorded or perhaps on-line? I would really like to hear some while I wish my fallen trail brother a continued journey well and in peace.

trailangelmary
07-15-2005, 06:23
I went to the site of his death and memorial placed by hikers this morning. Attached is the photo of the memorial. I am replacing the ziploc with the few pages for people to write with a book and better enclosing it. It rained this evening and I laid the papers to dry and will put them back out. If anyone wants to write anything at his memorial please reenclose it in the triple ziploc so that we can send to his family. It is located to the right of the old train station building (that is now cable company office). You can get there by walking to the tracks east of the Doyle Hotel.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-15-2005, 13:17
Truly a shame, but after reading of his accomplishments in a such a brief time I salute him. Heck of a man.

silverlily
07-18-2005, 09:34
Hello,

I'm Emily. Justin was my partner in life, my love, and my best friend. I want to thank all of you who have written to express your thoughts and support for his family.

With the help of a good and kind friend, I've put up a web site for Justin that has some pictures and some of his music. I will post more later.

http://www.studio33.com/justin

I wish the best for all of you.

Nean
07-18-2005, 16:02
Thank you for sharing with us Emily.

Tha Wookie
07-18-2005, 16:43
Emily, thanks for creating that link to share his legacy. Me and a close friend listened to all his music postings so far and am awaiting more. thanks...

love and light,

Wookie

clamotte
07-18-2005, 19:56
He was also known as Justin, Maximus, and one other Trail name. Packstock was a very cool cat and will be missed. -nokia

neo
07-18-2005, 20:50
Hello,

I'm Emily. Justin was my partner in life, my love, and my best friend. I want to thank all of you who have written to express your thoughts and support for his family.

With the help of a good and kind friend, I've put up a web site for Justin that has some pictures and some of his music. I will post more later.

I wish the best for all of you.

God bless you lily,thanks for sharing:cool: neo

Panzer1
07-18-2005, 21:30
Actually his music is pretty cool.

Panzer

Mini-Mosey
07-19-2005, 17:12
Thanks for sharing this; God bless you.

trailangelmary
07-26-2005, 01:48
I have contacted Emily(akaSilverlily), his fiancee. She and the family would like any pictures and good memories of Justin's hike that any of the class of 2005 have.
It is sad. He may have been drunk. But there are a lot of people that saw the good in him (That is the memory that needs to be carried on for those that mourn the loss. not just the memory of that night.) So please forward your pics and memories from his hike to Emily.

SGT Rock
08-09-2005, 17:20
My condolences to the family.

silverlily
08-19-2005, 11:33
Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone who has expressed interest in Justin's music know that I've added some acoustic songs and some more pics to the site:

www.studio33.com/justin (http://www.studio33.com/justin)

Thanks again to those of you who have sent sympathy and kind words.

Emily

Blue Jay
08-19-2005, 19:40
Thank you very much Emily. I have met many of this year's class of hikers and am very sorry I never got to meet Justin. Many people from the class of '03' continue to remember a hiker named Ted, who never even got to start the trail. I am sure Justin touched many lives on his way to Duncannon and before he even started. I sincerely hope the pain becomes bearable for you. Always remember you helped to make the life he lived happy, even if it was certainly not for long enough time.

crutch
08-20-2005, 02:20
Justin Miles Kenny
KENNY, JUSTIN MILES, born October 6, 1977 in Fayette, Ala., died July 9, 2005 in Duncannon, Pa., in an accident while hiking the Appalachian Trail. That small town of his passing, coincidentally, was the site of his paternal great-grandfather's first job in America (as a lumberjack) in the early 20th century as an immigrant from Lithuania. A lifelong adventurer, Kenny took on the famous A.T. as a summer project and was about 1,000 miles along when his remarkable life was cut short. A gifted songwriter, musician and singer,
Kenny played bass and lead guitar in several bands in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham before forming his own ensemble he named Separate Species. Although largely self taught, Kenny studied music at Shelton State, particularly singing under Glinda Blackshear, and sang with the Shelton Singers. Also a health and fitness enthusiast, he earned a wellness personal trainer certificate at Shelton in 2000. Justin seemed driven to experience as much of life as he could, which led him to work on a sheep farm near the arctic circle in Norway when he was 18, to hitchhike across the country, to canoe with a friend down the Cahaba to the Alabama River and many other adventures. Justin leaves as a legacy scores (if not hundreds) of beautiful ballads composed during the last 10 years of his life. His prolific songwriting began in Las Vegas where he was known to create as many as three complete songs (during and after working the night shift at the airport) with ingenious rhyming lyrics and original music. A dynamic, big-hearted poet-athlete, Justin seemed to know his candle would not burn very long, so he made sure it burned so brightly. Justin M. Kenny is survived by his fiancée Emily Delzell of Birmingham, by his mother Carla Shelton of the Liberty Community near Ethelsville, by his father and step-mother James M. and Julie Kenny of Tuscaloosa, by his brother Dylan Kenny of Liberty, by his maternal grandparents Carl and Nellie Shelton of Liberty and his paternal grandmother Joan Kenny of Sterling Heights, Mich. Justin's family, including his uncles from Michigan and California, will receive visitors at the Dowdle Funeral Home in Millport, Ala. on Wednesday from 2-3 p.m. A memorial service will be held at the funeral home and burial will follow immediately on a hilly spot in the family plot under the stars at Andrews Chapel in Liberty. The Dowdle Funeral Home's address is 270 McCadams, Street, Millport, Ala., 35576.
Published in The Birmingham News on 7/12/2005.
Just heard about the news.

All of our hearts and prayers go out to the family .

Crutch, Tackle, Leaf, & Jay Towne

Toolshed
08-20-2005, 07:37
Did I miss something - Why were there so many message deletions????

Blue Jay
08-20-2005, 19:24
Did I miss something - Why were there so many message deletions????

Yes, you missed something, but nothing important.

Lugnut
08-21-2005, 00:14
Some were thoughtless remarks but some were relevant comments. No need to delete every thing said that didn't deal with expressing sympathy. All of us were sympathetic but some valid points were also raised. Just my opinion.

SGT Rock
08-21-2005, 00:18
Just so you know Lugnut, the original content of the thread is still on the forum, just in another thread. The subject is also still open to discussion on the other thread. This one was determined to be best turned into a thread for condolences to the family and friends.

Lugnut
08-21-2005, 09:25
Fair enough.

dutch
09-15-2005, 14:08
I did not know packstock for very long but for the time that I did I counted him as a brother and friend he will be remembered I dont understand why his life was cut short but for as long as I live so shall his memory.