PDA

View Full Version : Summits on the Air (Ham Radio)

smkymtns
09-10-2013, 18:35
Wow, you guys are bringing back memories. I still keep up my license (KE9TV/2), but haven't been on the air in a very long time.

I've always wondered whether I ever should get/build some sort of QRP-SSB rig and a magnet-wire dipole, and try to get on air in the field (maybe do some SOTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summits_on_the_Air) work?)

But this is straying way off topic. Maybe spin a new thread?

Here you go Kevin! I will start with a little basic info. . .

Summits on the Air (SOTA) (http://www.sota.org.uk/) is an awards program for amateur radio operators, encouraging portable operation from qualifying summits. The gist of it is, walk to the top of a mountain, set up your portable ham radio and antenna and then make contacts with people around the world. Of course, there are a few more rules to anything organized, but it is a fun way to combine hiking and amateur radio. Personally, I credit SOTA for getting me off my butt and back on the trails and into the woods.

SOTA and hiking the AT are a great match. There are a great many SOTA summits that are either directly on the AT or located very close to the AT.

smkymtns
09-10-2013, 19:00
SOTA Summits in Georgia NOBO (Not all summits are directly on the trail)

W4G/HC-005 - Springer Mountain
W4G/NG-040 - Sassafras Mountain
W4G/NG-041 - Gooch Mountain
W4G/NG-022 - Black Mountain
W4G/NG-023 - Big Cedar Mountain
W4G/NG-004 - Blood Mountain
W4G/NG-014 - Levelland Mountain
W4G/NG-009 - Horsetrough Mountain (former AT Route)
W4G/NG-022 - Wildcat Mountain (trail to Whitley Gap Shelter)
W4G/NG-010 - Blue Mountain
W4G/NG-011 - Rocky Mountain
W4G/NG-005 - Tray Mountain
W4G/NG-013 - Round Top
W4G/NG-007 - Double Spring Knob
W4G/NG-032 - Little Bald Knob
W4G/NG-021 - Buzzard Knob

Another Kevin
09-10-2013, 21:11
Anyone got a recommendation for a lightweight and not-too-power-hungry SSB rig?

Or a design for one... I still remember which end of the soldering iron is hot. But I haven't built a radio in a long time, and I don't know my way around the current parts.

I figure that if SOTA is a popular program, I could get through on QRP by announcing that I was activating an unusual summit. I see that W2/GC-061, Halcott Mountain, has never been activated. That bushwhack is on my "to do one of these years" list anyway, and running a radio would give me something to do at an otherwise boring and viewless summit.

moytoy
09-10-2013, 22:12

Or a design for one... I still remember which end of the soldering iron is hot. But I haven't built a radio in a long time, and I don't know my way around the current parts.

I figure that if SOTA is a popular program, I could get through on QRP by announcing that I was activating an unusual summit. I see that W2/GC-061, Halcott Mountain, has never been activated. That bushwhack is on my "to do one of these years" list anyway, and running a radio would give me something to do at an otherwise boring and viewless summit.
I'm not a Ham radio operator but I called a friend who is and he suggested building the elecraft KX3. Maybe others who know more about it can chime in.

matthew2000tx
09-10-2013, 22:40

I have a Yeasu FT-857D (it's a small 100W rig that some people use for SOTA) If you want to go QRP then you should check out the Yeasu FT-817. China has been hitting up the Ham Radio hobby lately cheap handheld dual bands now there is talk of some HF QRP rigs being imported in but they are new on the market google the X1M QRP Transceiver.

Being in Texas I don't have too many SOTA sites near my QTH.

K5NON

smkymtns
09-11-2013, 07:40
I am currently using an Elecraft KX3 for SOTA (and pretty much everything else). It is a state of the art rig with many features and option. The kit is not really something you build as in breaking out the soldering iron and getting to work. It is really just assembling the components in the chassis. But, it is a lightweight, full featured rig with modest power draw. But there is a cost associated to have the latest and greatest.

Before the KX3 was introduced, the Yaesu FT-817 was the defacto standard for an all band, all mode rig. It is a great portable radio and the market has been flooded with used ones, primarily from folks upgrading to KX3s. I have drunk from the fountain of Elecraft Koolaid and it is tasty!

For SSB rigs, there are not too many true kits out there. Most are single band, or maybe two bands. Sorry, I am just not that familiar with those.

For a CW only kit, the hottest ticket around is Slo-Go'en's (I probably mangled that, sorry) MTR two band rig. But, you have to jump on the waiting list when a new run of kits are announced. These are highly sought after in the SOTA community. Just my take on it from my lack of decent soldering abilities, but this may not be a good first radio project. I personally would find someone to build it for me. I hope to get on the list for the next batch. My CW-fu should be up to snuff by then.

Keep in mind that you can always use an HT for a SOTA activation. You might not reach a lot of SOTA chasers, but it is a great way to introduce local folks to the program. I had very good luck in the Mt Rogers area on 2 meters.

Another Kevin
09-11-2013, 13:16
Keep in mind that you can always use an HT for a SOTA activation. You might not reach a lot of SOTA chasers, but it is a great way to introduce local folks to the program. I had very good luck in the Mt Rogers area on 2 meters.

Hmm, you have a point. In one point of KC2UOO's video from Slide Mountain, it sounds as if he's on the bottom of a pileup on 146.52 FM. Which would be pretty cool, now that I think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trLjk5GAPpM

And I look at that video and say, "I could totally do that." I've been up there in the winter on microspikes. This was in December of a mild winter, when there had not been any significant snowpack yet, so my snowshoes stayed lashed on my pack. Boot-deep snow on top of an inch or so of solid ice. Delightful. :eek: It might be cool to be the first activator of a summit or three - and there are still ones on the list, never-activated, that I want to do anyway.

My ancient 2m HT is about the form factor and weight of a brick, so I'm likely not to take it hiking any time soon, though.