PDA

View Full Version : What are these straps for on my pack?

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 19:37
Okay, guys. I have been embarrassed to ask this question as I feel that the answer is probably extremely obvious... Since I have been unsuccessful with figuring this out own my own after nearly a year of wondering, what are the two straps on the bottom of my pack for? I own (and LOVE) the Coleman Elate 65L.

Here is a picture of the pack:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh282/Iam99x/2000011082_zps086b97a4.jpg (http://s259.photobucket.com/user/Iam99x/media/2000011082_zps086b97a4.jpg.html)

Thanks!

HooKooDooKu
09-10-2013, 19:43
They look like loops not straps. If they were straps that ran under the bag, you could use them to carry a load under the pack (like a bed roll).
But the loops are ax loops, a place to hand your ice ax... because everyone needs an ice ax right?

Here's another image for comparison.
You can see the pair of loops on the bottom outside, but just inside is a set of straps that would allow you to strap something to the bottom of the bag.

rickb
09-10-2013, 19:46
Ice axe loops.

Drop the axe in and then twist up so the pointy end is up.

BTW, I had a similar mystery with some tabs and Velcro on a shirt, once. Drove me nuts. still not 100 percent sure, but once I learned they something to so with fly fishing I was able to sleep better.

tekoa
09-10-2013, 19:54
I use them to hold my trekking poles when I'm not using them. slide pointed end through loop, attach handle to shock cord above it. Works well.

Sailing_Faith
09-10-2013, 20:11
If you carry a bit of line, you can tie onto the hiker above you and get a tow for a little rest. The presence of two loops indicates this is for a very strong climber.

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 20:11
Ahhhhhhh gotcha. Straps, loops, nylon circles, black o's of death, wasted material in my case... Whatever you want to call them! Thanks, guys. That takes a load off my mind.

And LOL rickb.

Good idea, tekoa. I may try that, or better yet, use them to hold my tripod! I am a photographer, and that would definitely help me out as last time I had some issues fastening my tripod.

While I'm thinking about it, what is the designed use for those bungees about midway up the pack? Before upgrading to a self inflating mattress, I used them to hold a foam sleeping pad.

Gettin' my learn on today!

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 20:12
If you carry a bit of line, you can tie onto the hiker above you and get a tow for a little rest. The presence of two loops indicates this is for a very strong climber.

So would you say that this pack is geared toward mountaineering?

QHShowoman
09-10-2013, 20:26
Sailing_Faith is having a bit of fun with you.

Gonecampn
09-10-2013, 20:38
I had to do a google search for a loop that was on my Osprey pack. I could think of many uses for it but I HAD to know the true definition :)

Sarcasm the elf
09-10-2013, 20:52
So would you say that this pack is geared toward mountaineering?

Almost all newer backpacks that Ive seen have them, even my ULA pack.

Though intended for ice axes they are very handy for storing adjustable trekking poles, especially when traveling to and from the trail.

Personally I had always thought they were silly, but that changed the first time my friend invited me to go ice climbing. Now I'm glad that my packs have them.

Sarcasm the elf
09-10-2013, 20:53
I had to do a google search for a loop that was on my Osprey pack. I could think of many uses for it but I HAD to know the true definition :)

Are you referring to that the odd loop/tubing thingamajig that is only on one side of the pack and is meant to store trekking poles while keeping them accessible? I was kind if jealous when I first saw that on my buddy's Atmos 65

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 21:07
Answered my own 2nd question:

http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-attach-an-ice-axe-to-a-backpack/

Wise Old Owl
09-10-2013, 21:09
in the past I used the loops to hold a pad.

magic_game03
09-10-2013, 21:24
...But the loops are ax loops, a place to hand your ice ax... because everyone needs an ice ax right?...

HooKooDooKu is absolutely right they are for ice axes. Since most backpacks are made by people out in the Rockies, Cascades, and Sierras where most average hikers own an ice axe and use them it is a standard functional strap that is put on every bag.

AllenIsbell
09-10-2013, 22:01
Good information here, everyone. Thank you. I may save this thread for my noob questions later.

quasarr
09-10-2013, 23:21
Looks like a bunch of extra nonsense webbing to me!! Cut it all off and save a few ounces :banana

Sailing_Faith
09-11-2013, 01:02
Looks like a bunch of extra nonsense webbing to me!! Cut it all off and save a few ounces :banana

No! Dont do that, I might need to seek a line on to get a boost climbing up a hill some time. ;)

quasarr
09-11-2013, 01:53
LOL!! Don't forget to pack your UL sled to facilitate towing. :sun

Another Kevin
09-11-2013, 06:02
LOL!! Don't forget to pack your UL sled to facilitate towing. :sun

One of these? (http://skipulk.com/images/stories/pdfs/pulkbook.pdf)

(The traces attach to the waistbelt, or to the front of the pack just above it. The pull needs to be close to your body.)

See also PMags's design. (http://www.pmags.com/build-a-gear-sled-the-dirt-bagger-way)

daddytwosticks
09-11-2013, 07:10
Think twice before cutting straps and extra webbing off your gear. If you are like me and change-out your hiking gear often, this will seriously affect the resale value of the pack if you go to sell it IMHO. :)

leaftye
09-11-2013, 08:10
Most people won't use them, but it's not a big deal for most people to ignore them or cut them off. If they weren't standard, the selection of packs would be pitiful for the few trekker that will use an ice axe.

Almost all newer backpacks that Ive seen have them, even my ULA pack.

I would hope they'd be on ULA packs. ULA's are very popular on the PCT, and an ice axe is a good idea most years unless you start late.

Sarcasm the elf
09-11-2013, 08:31
I would hope they'd be on ULA packs. ULA's are very popular on the PCT, and an ice axe is a good idea most years unless you start late.

He he, I guess that was my east coast bias showing through, I've never had the chance to hike in the sierras. I bought my Circuit at mountain crossings and just associate it with the A.T.

WingedMonkey
09-11-2013, 08:40
They are for hanging stuff off of your pack that you want to loose, or want someone else to find.

Symba
09-11-2013, 12:47
I have an Atmos 65, cut the ice axe loops off of mine. My pack is heavy enough, I don' need anyone tying lines to them or putting rocks in it!

Another Kevin
09-11-2013, 18:00
He he, I guess that was my east coast bias showing through, I've never had the chance to hike in the sierras. I bought my Circuit at mountain crossings and just associate it with the A.T.

It's not an East Coast bias, it's an East Coast summer bias. I know that I've had winter hikes in this part of the world where I've wanted an ice axe and crampons that I hadn't brought. At least when I'm out in winter, I live in microspikes, and they were enough to get me through, but it's been a bit sketchy sometimes.

I've used (and needed) snowshoes on the A-T, too.

Yeah, ice axes are not relevant to A-T thru-hiking. Still. there are spots on the A-T in New England where they are highly recommended in winter. The last I heard, WB and the Trail still welcomed clueless weekenders, and not just thru-hikers. And some of us clueless weekenders take trips in all four seasons. Winter, June, July and August!

Sarcasm the elf
09-11-2013, 18:52
It's not an East Coast bias, it's an East Coast summer bias. I know that I've had winter hikes in this part of the world where I've wanted an ice axe and crampons that I hadn't brought. At least when I'm out in winter, I live in microspikes, and they were enough to get me through, but it's been a bit sketchy sometimes.

I've used (and needed) snowshoes on the A-T, too.

Yeah, ice axes are not relevant to A-T thru-hiking. Still. there are spots on the A-T in New England where they are highly recommended in winter. The last I heard, WB and the Trail still welcomed clueless weekenders, and not just thru-hikers. And some of us clueless weekenders take trips in all four seasons. Winter, June, July and August!

Trust me, winter is probably my favorite season to hike, i just haven't been anywhere on the A.T. that made me wish I had an ice axe. Microspikes, and trekking poles have always been sufficient for CT/NY/MA sections of the trail. If and when i finally hike in the whites (or the adorondaks) during the winter this will of course be a much different story.

Another Kevin
09-12-2013, 19:09
Trust me, winter is probably my favorite season to hike, i just haven't been anywhere on the A.T. that made me wish I had an ice axe. Microspikes, and trekking poles have always been sufficient for CT/NY/MA sections of the trail. If and when i finally hike in the whites (or the adorondaks) during the winter this will of course be a much different story.

Yeah, the CT/NY/MA sections of the AT are relatively tame in the winter, although once in a while I want snowshoes. That's partly because I'm used to NY state forests, where the DEC asks that you use snowshoes whenever there's an 8-inch or deeper snowpack, so that you don't leave postholes for snowshoers that come after you. Enough postholers will turn a trail into a skating rink, which is an accident waiting to happen.

Even the Catskills have a few spots where you really want crampons and an ice axe in winter. Here's how not to do it (starting at 1:05 or so into the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaFE2Hat8E
That guy was trying to be an example of evolution in action. There's more runout beyond where he stopped sliding.

And 2011-2012 was a very, very mild winter.

AllenIsbell
09-13-2013, 20:10
Yeah, I won't be cutting them off. If I ever decide to go bushwhacking somewhere, it could be a place to store a Cold Steel Trench Hawk if I feel necessary. Or I could tow Sailing Faith up a hill for the pleasure of rolling him down the other side ! ;)