PDA

View Full Version : max patch in november/december?

Theosus
09-10-2013, 20:34
Im thinking of doing the I-40 intersection to Hot springs in the coming months, thirty miles or so, probably around mid november or first weekend in december.

Anyone do that section this late in the year that can tell me what to expect, with water and temperatures?
Is it freezing bloody cold? I'm from Coastal South Carolina, so Im used to pretty temperate weather,
Although I've taken my hammock down to 30 with no ill effects (my stuff is rated to 0*)

rainmaker
09-10-2013, 21:04
Im thinking of doing the I-40 intersection to Hot springs in the coming months, thirty miles or so, probably around mid november or first weekend in december.

Anyone do that section this late in the year that can tell me what to expect, with water and temperatures?
Is it freezing bloody cold? I'm from Coastal South Carolina, so Im used to pretty temperate weather,
Although I've taken my hammock down to 30 with no ill effects (my stuff is rated to 0*)

Can't help you with the hammock part of your question but my wife and I did practically all of our section hikes during that time of the year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did have 0 degree bags though you might be OK with a good 20 degree bag and a liner. To be on the safe side we always carried warm clothes for changing into after the day's hike and were prepared for single digit temps. Great hiking weather and the only others hikers you may see are the last of the SOBO's. BTW, though I currently live about 75 miles west of you but grew up in Barnwell County so cold weather camping does not come naturally but we hiked the GSMNP in February.

illabelle
09-10-2013, 21:07
We did that section southbound earlier this year, in mid-March I believe. It was chilly at times, but not a problem at all. Biggest weather related memory was the very strong wind as we went over Max Patch. Thought it was going to blow me over! That's also the only place I remember seeing any snow, and it was just a few remnants on the protected lee side of the mountain.

Temperatures during your time frame should be similar. You will have a few significant elevations to get over. So long as there isn't a storm system on its way through, I'd think you'll be fine.

The Cleaner
09-11-2013, 10:40
Although "Winter" may not have set in yet, you can expect howling winds with any passing weather system which happens more often during this time of the year. I have been on Max Patch in March when it was a warm 54* but with 40-50 mph winds it seemed very colder...