PDA

View Full Version : Can of Worms

wornoutboots
09-11-2013, 09:54
Is it just me or are more & more thru-hiker slack packing & staying in hotels, hostels or with trail friends than they are sleeping in the woods?? I thought the main part of going to the wilderness was to experience the wilderness?? Strange??

Ewker
09-11-2013, 09:57
yeah you may have opened it up.....time to get some popcorn

Storm
09-11-2013, 10:01
If I were given the choice I would stay in a motel/hotel every night if I could afford it. I love hiking but don't really enjoy camping all that much. To each his own.

The Cleaner
09-11-2013, 10:04
I call em' Hostel Hoppers......:eek:

The Cleaner
09-11-2013, 10:12
IMO many newer hikers with less outdoor experience do not know now to get comfortable in the woods. Bugs, shelter mice, bad weather all can send some straight to the nearest town or other civilized shelter. A real thru hiker limits town stays and spends most of his day hiking then camping.....popcorn ready yet?....

Mags
09-11-2013, 10:20
Does it really matter? :) As long as the person is enjoying their hike, and not have an effect on yours, it is all good. Right?

tiptoe
09-11-2013, 10:24
Yes, there seems to be tons of slackpacking going on these days. One of the things I've really loved about section hiking, especially now that I'm retired, is not having to focus on miles per day. Generally my hiking is linear and with my full pack on my back and at a leisurely (many would call it slow) pace. If I can stay in a hostel or hotel once per week and combine that with a big breakfast and a resupply that's plenty for me. Experiencing the wilderness is a big part of why I hike, too. But to each his/her own, I guess. Can of worms, for sure.

Ender
09-11-2013, 10:29
Does it really matter? :) As long as the person is enjoying their hike, and not have an effect on yours, it is all good. Right?

Exactly this. There is no right or wrong way to hike the trail, and we shouldn't judge people for doing it their own way.

treesloth
09-11-2013, 10:31
I'm with Mags. The true challenge is in the hike from Georgia to Maine, or vice versa. When it comes to HYOH, it matters not (to me) where people sleep.

Namtrag
09-11-2013, 10:36
We do say Hike Your Own Hike, not Backpack Your Own Backpack....

Tipi Walter
09-11-2013, 10:40
Yes, there seems to be tons of slackpacking going on these days. One of the things I've really loved about section hiking, especially now that I'm retired, is not having to focus on miles per day. Generally my hiking is linear and with my full pack on my back and at a leisurely (many would call it slow) pace. If I can stay in a hostel or hotel once per week and combine that with a big breakfast and a resupply that's plenty for me. Experiencing the wilderness is a big part of why I hike, too. But to each his/her own, I guess. Can of worms, for sure.

The more backpackers slackpack and stay in motels, the more of the woods there are for me. This is the perfect solution.

I'm with Mags. The true challenge is in the hike from Georgia to Maine, or vice versa. When it comes to HYOH, it matters not (to me) where people sleep.

I'm just the opposite. To me Bag Nights are what it's all about, the forced march thruhike is secondary.

BirdBrain
09-11-2013, 11:00

treesloth
09-11-2013, 11:09
I'm just the opposite. To me Bag Nights are what it's all about, the forced march thruhike is secondary.

Well, Tipi, your outside habits seem to border more on exceptions than norms. And nothing wrong with that.

Sarcasm the elf
09-11-2013, 11:09
Nobody opens cans of worms anymore, the freezedried worm pouches are much lighter.

quasarr
09-11-2013, 11:31
Ha! A number 10 can full of worms was good enough for me in the Boy Scouts back in '75, and it's good enough for me now! You whippersnappers are all going to die of starvation out there!

The Greenman
09-11-2013, 11:37
Nobody opens cans of worms anymore, the freezedried worm pouches are much lighter.

....Unless of course you could access the app that brings up the spreadsheet, that shows the closest pizza delivery points (listed by GPS coordinates) but don't get me started on "those people" (!):D

Tipi Walter
09-11-2013, 12:26
Ha! A number 10 can full of worms was good enough for me in the Boy Scouts back in '75, and it's good enough for me now! You whippersnappers are all going to die of starvation out there!

Canned food and possibly canned worms is fine with me. On my last trip I took out 18 fresh eggs for a 16 day trip---see fotogs:

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Backpacking-Bryan-DeLay/i-RtqqqkH/0/L/TRIP%20148%20075-L.jpg

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Green-Cove-Cabin/i-Bkh9qpS/0/L/TRIP%20147%20019-L.jpg

Symba
09-11-2013, 12:33
I cannot agree more with Tiptoe, my hiking 'style' is similar. I go out to disconnect and be with the 'whole' of nature and sub community of section hikers. I like to share the experience. Can of worms? Yuppers. Technology has blurred the lines. It is great or it is a burden. To be open minded means to look at hiking styles through different lenses. My lens is one of purity at the point I follow the same philosophy as Tiptoe and some others. Slack packing can be very helpful for some. I slacked some through the tri state area on the AT because it helped them not give up on the trail experience. Sometimes on a thru hike you may need to switch things up a bit. I just hate that people skip states and take specific pictures to say they did the whole trail. I'm a hiker, I'm a backpacker, I was a thru hiker, I was on a planned (this year) flip flop that flopped with thirteen years of zero days in between. Now I am a section hiker who dreams of sectioning two more states (Mass and Vermont). If I could slack pack some of it I would. Why? because I have physical and mental issues. Slacking would help me get over some obstacles and allow for more intense observation of my experiences out in the wild.

Tipi Walter
09-11-2013, 12:46
Slackpacking to me is what all Americans do anyway and on a daily basis: Drive to a walmart, walk thru the parking lot, shop, walk back to the car. Drive home and sleep. All done without a pack. Yes, believe or not but there's some walking involved. Otherwise, instead of hiking on asphalt we're talking about people hiking on a trail, without a pack, and letting a car do most of the hauling.

Is it possible to slackpack and not see the dreaded wheeled rolling couch for a week? Nope.

Drybones
09-11-2013, 13:10
We all have to walk our own roads
We can't always go where we're told
In the end where we'll end up, God only knows
We all have to walk our own roads

Grampie
09-11-2013, 13:18
I got to think that the increase of hikers slack packing, staying in motels and hostels is the "Melimum Generation", 20 t0 30 year olds, that are now hiking on the AT. It's part of the notion that the world owes me something, and I don't want to work for it. Thru-hiking the AT was the hardest job I ever had.

Rasty
09-11-2013, 13:33
I got to think that the increase of hikers slack packing, staying in motels and hostels is the "Melimum Generation", 20 t0 30 year olds, that are now hiking on the AT. It's part of the notion that the world owes me something, and I don't want to work for it. Thru-hiking the AT was the hardest job I ever had.

Most of the "kids" can't afford to slackpack much.

rickb
09-11-2013, 13:34
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am given to understand that some thru hikers carry lists of "Trail Angels" they can and do call to get put up. And not just when they have a minor emergency or otherwise special situation, either.

That was new to me.

To each his own, but that seems very, very odd.

But I'm a curmudgeon.

For my part, I have finally lost the need to introduce myself as a member of the tribe, or ask people with giddy excitement if they are thru hiking. Or not. some habits die hard-- the more things change, the more they stay the same.

coach lou
09-11-2013, 13:47

Exactly this. There is no right or wrong way to hike the trail, and we shouldn't judge people for doing it their own way.

Whoa...I'm on the same page as 2 mods!!!

The thing here is 'HIKING THE AT, GA to ME", not camping GA to ME. What wilderness are we talking about on the East Coast? Especially being a section hiker, a couple of nites here a couple of nites there, big deal. The only time you have any solitude on the AT is in winter, nice and quite....except for the din of the interstate, 3 miles away.

Sarcasm the elf
09-11-2013, 13:52

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
- Socrates (Attributed)

Theosus
09-11-2013, 13:59
I don't care what others do. When (if) I do some sections, I want it to be in the woods. I can't sleep well in the woods, But my trips so far have been over nights. I'm betting by day three there's probably not much that you wouldn't sleep through, if you didn't sleep good on days 1 and 2.
A friend of mine did a hike recently, they went up, stayed in a hostel, hiked a few days, stayed in another. No thanks. I don't even want to stay in the shelters with the mice, unless it's pouring rain. But there's no reward for how you finish. If they want to slackpack the whole thing and stay in town and have a warm shower every chance they get, it's their choice. At least if a bunch are in town, that leaves camping spots open...

Old Hiker
09-11-2013, 15:34

Hmmmmm. According to your age, you were (-10) when in the Scouts. Which means you were 21 years too young to join. :)

And we WISHED we had cans of worms back in '75 when I was in Scouts. We had to hunt them ourselves. With sticks. And eat them raw. With sticks.

As for hostels and slackpacking: wish I could. Glad I didn't on my attempt. Won't do more in 2016. More power to them.

moytoy
09-11-2013, 15:58
A bit of sarcasm there my dear? :D

max patch
09-11-2013, 16:03
Pussification of America.

It is what it is.

Old Hiker
09-11-2013, 16:04

A "bit"?? I thought we were trying for a number 10 can full !!!!

Lone Wolf
09-11-2013, 16:04
Is it just me or are more & more thru-hiker slack packing & staying in hotels, hostels or with trail friends than they are sleeping in the woods?? I thought the main part of going to the wilderness was to experience the wilderness?? Strange??

you're right. they slackpack like crazy in and out of Damascus. they only wanna pay gas $$ so they can spend heavy on pizza and beer

QHShowoman
09-11-2013, 16:05
I took a few years off from hiking because other parts of life basically got in the way (from about 2009-2012). When I started getting into it again and following trail journals, etc., I was surprised at how many new thru-hike hopefuls seemed woefully unprepared for the trail that lay ahead of them. Some set out without even doing so much as a single shake-down hike with their gear ... some with less than $2,000 banked for their entire hike ... some that truly believed they could yogi their way up the trail, depending solely on trail magic and what was in hiker boxes for their resupply ... some that set up online fundraising pages in the expectation that others would finance their hike (which is different than hiking to raise money for charity). Something has definitely shifted and I am not sure why.

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 16:13
If there really is an increase in slackpacking, perhaps it's because the plethora of support services along the trail and the guidebooks that list them make it easier to find and obtain shuttles. Would hikers in the "good old days" have partaken if their opportunities were similar?

Lone Wolf
09-11-2013, 16:15
Would hikers in the "good old days" have partaken if their opportunities were similar?

i wouldn't have. i've never slacpacked

Chair-man
09-11-2013, 16:17
My personal opinion, is if you're thru hiking, slack packing is cheating. If you hired a sherpa to carry all you stuff would that be cheating? Maybe I'll hire myself out as a sherpa and then those slackpackers won't have to pay those shuttle fees. 23939 < If you slack pack on your thru hike you get an * asterix next to your name.

quasarr
09-11-2013, 16:17

LOL me?? Never!! :banana

max patch
09-11-2013, 16:22
If there really is an increase in slackpacking, perhaps it's because the plethora of support services along the trail and the guidebooks that list them make it easier to find and obtain shuttles. Would hikers in the "good old days" have partaken if their opportunities were similar?

I thru'd 25 years ago and those that wanted to slack were able to find someone to help them out. I've never slacked a day in my life.

Namtrag
09-11-2013, 16:31
Pussification of America.

It is what it is.

So is not carrying a 40lb backpack...just sayin.

The Greenman
09-11-2013, 17:00

uh-oh! (sound of popcorn popping in the background)

Namtrag
09-11-2013, 17:07

I just love stirring up trouble...

First you are an old school backpacker (jeans, heavy boots, and external frame pack), then you move to ultralight, and finally you just give it all up for slackpacking! lol

Rasty
09-11-2013, 17:19

First you are an old school backpacker (jeans, heavy boots, and external frame pack), then you move to ultralight, and finally you just give it all up for slackpacking! lol

Heavy packs are a mid-school thing. Real old school was fairly minimalist. Pack, bed roll, food and few possesions.

quasarr
09-11-2013, 17:24
This is enough! I've had it! Time to start a WB AT Militia to go out there, and tell everyone that they are hiking the wrong way!!

Major General Wornoutboots will lead the charge!! All hail our glorious cause!

:banana:banana

coach lou
09-11-2013, 17:25
Rasty and I will drive the Chuck Wagon!

We will meet you guyz at the trailheads:D

Rasty
09-11-2013, 17:27
Rasty and I will drive the Chuck Wagon!

I like old school cast iron frying pans. Better for pan fried squirrel.

quasarr
09-11-2013, 17:27
I hope you bring 2 cast iron pans, in case one breaks! :D

max patch
09-11-2013, 17:46

So ultralight hiking is the gateway drug that eventually leads to ending up in one of Mr Doyles "expeditions".

Elder
09-11-2013, 18:05
We do say Hike Your Own Hike, not Backpack Your Own Backpack....
or Slackpack your own slack....

Symba
09-11-2013, 18:31
Heavy packs are a mid-school thing. Real old school was fairly minimalist. Pack, bed roll, food and few possesions. throw a loaf of bread and bag of tea in your rucksack and hit the woods...that was old school!

quasarr
09-11-2013, 18:32
ALERT: Militia charge has been delayed, pending a decision on what type of knife is essential for survival on the AT. :-?

Symba
09-11-2013, 18:32
can I throw snickers at them from the side trails?

Lone Wolf
09-11-2013, 18:33
throw a loaf of bread and bag of tea in your rucksack and hit the woods...that was old school!

after all it real is just walkin'

Drybones
09-11-2013, 18:40
throw a loaf of bread and bag of tea in your rucksack and hit the woods...that was old school!

Yeah...that's what they do in all the old western movies.....looks pretty fun to me....bet long distance hiking on a horse works better.

Symba
09-11-2013, 18:42
Yeah...that's what they do in all the old western movies.....looks pretty fun to me....bet long distance hiking on a horse works better. HAHA, okay...anyway...I was quasi-quoting a certain person who has/had a lot to do with the AT. :) I thought someone would have figured that out...jeeeze you all. :P

Drybones
09-11-2013, 18:49
Hmmmmm. According to your age, you were (-10) when in the Scouts. Which means you were 21 years too young to join. :)

And we WISHED we had cans of worms back in '75 when I was in Scouts. We had to hunt them ourselves. With sticks. And eat them raw. With sticks.

As for hostels and slackpacking: wish I could. Glad I didn't on my attempt. Won't do more in 2016. More power to them.

....it's okay to eat worms with the fingers...don't need the stick.

Drybones
09-11-2013, 18:59
In the immortal words of Rhode Island Red.....I say, I say there boy....your doin it all wrong!

Rasty
09-11-2013, 19:06
Yeah...that's what they do in all the old western movies.....looks pretty fun to me....bet long distance hiking on a horse works better.

Does provide an extra emergency meal if needed!

fredmugs
09-11-2013, 19:34

What are Things Grandpa Simpson would say? The Millennium Generation also knows how to use fancy inventions like spell check. Spell check is like dictionary slacking.

09-11-2013, 19:39
people sitting at home pecking on a computer talking about how "they do it" LOL . After 3 months on the trail you have seen enough trees been bitten by enough bugs, had enough noodles etc. Thur hikers are not out there for 2 weeks, or 30 days but for 5-6 months. The home comforts are well deserved after 5 20 mile days! and the opportunity to slack? most jump on it and so would you.

max patch
09-11-2013, 19:45
and the opportunity to slack? most jump on it and so would you.

Nope. Never done it. Never will.

John B
09-11-2013, 19:46
If you might recall, Bill Bryson also expressed admiration for the British way of hiking -- a decent inn with a pub at the end of every day's walk -- and wondered why the same couldn't be established on the AT.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2013, 19:48
The home comforts are well deserved after 5 20 mile days! and the opportunity to slack? most jump on it and so would you.

ummm, no i wouldn't

Rex2
09-11-2013, 20:25
If a thru is slack packing at least their actually hiking which is more than I can say for most of them.

Sly
09-11-2013, 20:40
On my last trip I took out 18 fresh eggs for a 16 day trip---see fotogs:

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Backpacking-Bryan-DeLay/i-RtqqqkH/0/L/TRIP%20148%20075-L.jpg

I only see 12.

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 21:09
i wouldn't have. i've never slacpacked

I knew you wouldn't have.

... Spell check is like dictionary slacking.

That's a good one.:D Along those lines, I never have nor will use a thesaurus. I think it was my 11th grade English teacher who frowned on it and even though he was a cantankerous old coot, he made a largely positive impression on me.

coach lou
09-11-2013, 21:30
ALERT: Militia charge has been delayed, pending a decision on what type of knife is essential for survival on the AT. :-?

23947this is all you need on the AT:D

Grits
09-11-2013, 22:16
23948I did find this at the local fishing store!!!!!

AngryGerman
09-11-2013, 23:10
Hmm... after reading the comments,eating my popcorn, and drinking that refreshing beer I finally thinkI might have an intelligent response. Well, not necessarilyintelligent, but a response nonetheless and a lengthy one to boot.
In the beginning of my SOBO thru-hike Iwitnessed many NOBO's slack-packing, staying at the hostels/hotels,packing out crazy food and drink, talking about trail angels, etc. Inever really thought to question them on it, nor did I care to evenwaste my energy to. It was somewhere in VA when I really took anopportunity to slack-pack. At times during the slack-packing it wasfantastic, but there were definitely more issues w/it than I would'veliked. I think if I wasn't with such a large group of fellow SOBO'sand not had the opportunity, I might have completed the trail withjust two slack-pack days. As far as hotel/hostel stays, winterhiking is awesome, but when your out there for a few cold ones a hotshower and warm meal w/cold beer is much appreciated. I love thetrail angels; food, drink, good conversation, and lasting memoriesmake them angels of a different kind.
I've been around the AT a ridiculousamount in my young life, seeing many different approaches tothru-hiking and backpacking in general with never once feeling theurge to question one's way of hiking/backpacking. If you ask me ifyour hiking the trail right I may ask you what is right and what isleft, I mean wrong. If you ask me if slack-packing, hostel/hotelstays, blazing 35 miles in a day, and/or whatever else on may defineas "strange", I ask the one questioning, define in yourwords "strange". Moreover OP, I think when you reallysit back and break down your, albeit, rhetorical question, one mostrealize that it is all relative to what you define a “thru-hiker”to be, and what a “wilderness” is, so to speak. Lastly OP, Ithink it is important to realize that these folks are getting out tothe “wilderness” and seeing what most will only be able to see onthe TV or Internet, regardless of how they go about it. I just askof all to have an open mind to the broad definition of things one mayquestion rather than label it as “strange”.

Keyboard is buttery now and I'm off foranother beer.

AngryGerman
09-11-2013, 23:12
And maybe next time I will proof read my post!

Hill Ape
09-11-2013, 23:47
what business is it of yours what people do on their hike

Tipi Walter
09-11-2013, 23:56
I only see 12.

Little yellow plastic 6 egg container not shown.

The Green Man
09-12-2013, 02:45
*shaking head at OP*

That ain't how ya open a can of worms. You can't stop at just one. A true worm can opener opens 'em up one right after the other. Me, I got a series of worm cans that get progressively smaller and fit inside one another, like Russian stacking dolls, and I open 'em up all at once. That's what every single experienced worm can opener does.

Last Call
09-12-2013, 03:19
Angry German - I would like to shake your hand, sir, you are a Great American!

rickb
09-12-2013, 04:13
There is a big difference between judging some individual's choice, and commenting on trends.

People have and always will mimic the behavior of their peers.

For all the talk of "Hike your own Hike" the vast majority of people are doomed to walk like those around them at the time.

Too bad.

Tuckahoe
09-12-2013, 06:52

Agree with Mags. Why is there such a fixation on how others accomplish their hike, and the need to project their reasons to be on the trail onto someone else?

Slo-go'en
09-12-2013, 11:13

If your speaking of the AT, the main part (reason) is to walk from here to there. That could be Georgia to Maine or some points in between. For sure, camping in the woods is a big part of the experiance, but so is visiting towns and staying in hostels, hotels and with trail friends.

There are a lot more people hiking on the AT then "back in the day" and that creates a demand for services, like hostels and shuttles. It was inevitable that would also lead to slackpacking services. Since these services are available of course hikers are going to use them or the services wouldn't be around for long. I don't see how that can be in any way bad or distract from the experiance. It's a win-win for all involved.

AngryGerman
09-12-2013, 13:00
Angry German -
I would like to shake your hand, sir, you are a Great
American!
Why thank you sir, as I am sure you are as well.
You never know, you may meet me on of these beautiful,long distance trails taking a coveted nap on a summit.
If I wasn't the Angry German I'd be the
Napping German; hmm... now that's a thought.
Peace Brother!

Namtrag
09-12-2013, 13:02
So, you are a Great American, and an Angry German at the same time?

TrailMonk
09-12-2013, 13:03
I am with you I feel the same way.

AngryGerman
09-12-2013, 13:14
So, you are a Great American, and an Angry German at the same time?
A conundrum, huh? I think after serving in America's military for 13 years, and protecting American's beliefs, values, way of life, interests, etc. I can say that I am an American. Not to mention the fact that I was born in a rather large community in the fertile valleys of central PA. If none of those apply than I must ask you all to stop viewing me as an American. Lastly, would it be better if I changed the trail name I've had for 18 plus years to say, Angry German American?

Another Kevin
09-12-2013, 13:19

Preach it, brother!

Would I like to buy you a beer and listen to your stories sometime? Definitely! Would I like to hike with you? Probably not, our hiking styles are too different, you're a Colorado big-miler, and I'm an Eastern weekender. And it is indeed all good.

Namtrag
09-12-2013, 13:29
I would think the purists would like the slackpackers. Lots more spots too camp!

09-16-2013, 16:55

The more than sleeping in the woods is to funny. After months of staying in a tent and seeing 3 walls of a shelter there is not much to write about that is to exciting. HOWever its a big deal to go to town or stay in a hostel or hotel!! SO that is what folks write about.
If you are looking to experiance the wilderness get off the AT it is not for you. Go hike little used trails in the national forest.

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 17:03
oz, invisible man and army ant each spent close to $14k during their hike from springer to katahdin. they slept in the woods half as often as they slept out of the woods. they flew a seaplane from monson to whitehouse landing, skipping some 68 miles and aquablazed the shennies, stayed in hostels and motels more than they tented, ate sirloin instead of ramen,it cost them a lot of money,but they had the trip of a lifetime!!!
they also told me they encountered quite a few "purists" who were envious of their "hiking" style.
how someone else hikes their hike has no bearing at all as to how i choose to hike mine.
its all good.

coach lou
09-16-2013, 17:14
I wish I had 7G.........I'd skip the Aqua Blaze:D

coach lou
09-16-2013, 17:15
................I'd eat more pizza than Ramen.........more draft, less bottled!:)

bamboo bob
09-16-2013, 17:22
I love to camp and I love hostels, B&B's and motels. One point is there are way more places to stay then there were years ago. Every road crossing seems to have a note on a tree for lodging with shuttle including. Tempting in a downpour.

bamboo bob
09-16-2013, 17:31
Slackpacking is not about making your trip easier. It's mainly about the lodging outfit getting you to stay another day, with meals etc. Also it slows down your hike. Andover Maine is a huge time sink with some people doing road to road slack packs for four days.

RED-DOG
09-16-2013, 17:40
If you got an un-limited bank account why not stay in Motel's / Hostels and live in a lap of luxury, Heck on my Thru-hike in 2012 I meet a couple that spent $25000 on their thru-hike and they had a hike of a life time but they also was spending a lot of it on their fellow hikers, most people only gets one chance in their life time to hike the AT why not go for the GUSTO, but personally I would rather spend between $5-6000 on a more TRADITIONAL thru-hike (and that's really all I can afford to spend), I'd rather stay in the WOODS, but if you are one of the lucky one's FLAUNT it.

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 17:44
i slackpacked twice during my 6 week section hike this spering. once was out of kincora, it ws raining, and we had planned to just zero, but at bob peoples suggestion, decided we could do a 9 mile slack apck which would save us a climb from kincora the next day. the other was out of erwin, slacked 20 miles back over beauty spot, and it was absolutely one of the best days of my hike.most everyone we passed heading up out of erwin with full resupply told us they had wished they had joined us.

Cookerhiker
09-16-2013, 17:54
Nothing wrong with slackpacking. Of the 36 days it took me to thruhike the Colorado Trail, 2 were slackpack days. My overall experience wasn't lessened or diminished in the slightest.

www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerCT11 (http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerCT11)

oldbear
09-16-2013, 19:11
I don't sleep well in unfamiliar places so for me at least the comfort of my own tent and sleeping system is preferable to somebody else's lodging

kayak karl
09-16-2013, 19:53
the thing i hate about slackpacking is i feel like i'm on a schedule. "Got to be at pick-up" is all i thought about, but i do like Slackyaking :)

T.S.Kobzol
09-16-2013, 20:10
What's slackyaking?:D

Bumblebee Tuna

Biggie Master
09-16-2013, 20:52
oz, invisible man and army ant each spent close to $14k during their hike from springer to katahdin. they slept in the woods half as often as they slept out of the woods. they flew a seaplane from monson to whitehouse landing, skipping some 68 miles and aquablazed the shennies, stayed in hostels and motels more than they tented, ate sirloin instead of ramen,it cost them a lot of money,but they had the trip of a lifetime!!!
they also told me they encountered quite a few "purists" who were envious of their "hiking" style.
how someone else hikes their hike has no bearing at all as to how i choose to hike mine.
its all good.

and I bet they don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of their hike... Mags said it best, let everyone enjoy it their own way.

Last Call
09-17-2013, 03:41
and I bet they don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of their hike... Mags said it best, let everyone enjoy it their own way.

They sucked eggs then....no where near a purist AT Thru Hike...some of ya'll just don't "get it"....and that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Astro
09-17-2013, 09:21
In the immortal words of Rhode Island Red.....I say, I say there boy....your doin it all wrong!

I thought that was Foghorn Leghorn. :-?

coach lou
09-17-2013, 09:33
They sucked eggs then....no where near a purist AT Thru Hike...some of ya'll just don't "get it"....and that's all I'm gonna say about that!

I'm just not sure what they didn't get while walking from Ga to Me?......and I know they sucked alot of beer!

Biggie Master
09-17-2013, 09:41

who says you have to be a purist? My hiking buddy and I have a saying "no asterisks" -- meaning that our goal is to be sure we pass by every single white blaze. But just because that's my philosophy, doesn't mean that it's right for everyone. The end goal is to get out, experience nature, and have fun. There's more than one way to skin that cat. I can appreciate the hike that Oz and his group experienced. It's definitely not purist, but I guarantee it was a blast, and I respect them for their ability to ignore those who would tell them they did it wrong. It wasn't wrong, it was different.

wornoutboots
09-17-2013, 11:03
I started this thread just to note an observation that I've noticed by reading many journals. PLUS I thought it would give several people "Much Needed" popcorn & beer time :) Not judging anyone, just a simple observation! I'm a firm believer in HYOH, I'm a nero'er & LOVE the little towns along the trail & I often hitch in, grab a beer, ice cream, 2-liter to chug, sit on a bench, people watch, chat with the locals, stroll through the town then hitch back out. I personally feel very at peace in the woods, it's all good ;)

Airman
09-17-2013, 11:35
Birdbrain, you sound like a wise person. I couldn't say it any better.

Airman
09-17-2013, 11:40
BirdBrain you sound like a wise man. Couldn't say it any better.

10-K
09-17-2013, 15:26
I love to slackpack and any chance I can I hike a section or trail in the least difficult direction.

I don't care what you think. :)

"You" meaning anyone - not you-you.

hikerboy57
09-17-2013, 15:41
I love to slackpack and any chance I can I hike a section or trail in the least difficult direction.

I don't care what you think. :)

"You" meaning anyone - not you-you.
you're doing it wrong!!:)

mikec
09-17-2013, 16:14
If the trail was easier to hike like it was 40-60 years ago, then maybe we wouldn't have to resort to staying in hotels and hostels to recuperate.

Another Kevin
09-17-2013, 17:00
I'm a clueless weekender, so I don't care whether the people around me carrying daypacks are day-trippers, slackpackers, or extreme ultralighters.

10-K
09-17-2013, 17:53
you're doing it wrong!!:)

I've always been a rebel... :)

lush242000
09-23-2013, 23:05

Off topic, but....as Penn and Teller said...what's the big deal about opening a can of worms. Just push them back in. Now a can of angry bees....that's something you don't want to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Tinker
09-23-2013, 23:24
It's about air conditioning - the thing that I say will be the most missed by long distance hikers, and the main reason that I do most of my section hiking in the fall. Clean bodies and clothes are right up there along with fresh food. The romantic notion of "exploring" or "roughing it" seems to be less pervasive within the ranks of the younger, more technology savvy (and dependent) generation. The older I get, the less tolerant I get of temperature extremes, so I no longer hold the notion of a post-retirement thruhike without a hostel or hotel overnighter. Socializing with other distance hikers who don't stink (too much) may only be possible in town after a visit to the Laundromat and shower ;).

Teacher & Snacktime
09-24-2013, 01:33

It is...I've never heard an RI Red utter a word.

icemanat95
09-25-2013, 12:01
I've been trying to calm down recently. Studying some Zen. Trying not to load myself up with unnecessary conflict and controversy. I think this would help a lot of hikers enjoy their hike more.

Drybones
09-25-2013, 16:32

I sit corrected, wish he was still around, I liked that boy.

Dakota Joe
05-24-2014, 22:41
I like the woods. Cost efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnbones
05-25-2014, 02:17
So it bothers you where other hikers spend the night? My thru hike next spring... beat the crap out of me if I say one word on how a fellow hiker chooses to hike or spend the night.

Blue Mountain Edward
05-25-2014, 05:49
There are lots of slackpackers and hitchhikers on the AT. Most of them want a free ride. Shuttles are expensive.

kayak karl
05-25-2014, 08:03
I "thought" the main part of going to the wilderness was to experience the wilderness?? Strange??that's your mistake, you thought wrong :). seriously if i want to experience the wilderness, the last place i go to is the AT. For every hiker on the AT, there are that many reasons to hike it.

rafe
05-25-2014, 08:44
Slackpacking is hardly new. Wingfoot arrived at the Pearisburg church hostel in 1990 in a vehicle loaded with packs. Of course by then he was already on his sixth or seventh thru-hike.

I never expected or counted on trail-angel action, except for shuttles that I explicitly arranged. Large-scale trailside hiker feeds are a relatively new development that I've missed out on entirely. I slacked around Andover because it seemed like the obvious thing to do. No regrets.

Given the option, I'll grab a shower, a proper meal, and a night in a real bed every four or five days.

Pedaling Fool
05-25-2014, 11:48
If it weren't for big oil companies, like Exxon and BP and others, hiking would definitely suck the big one...