PDA

View Full Version : Amazon mail drops

Midlife
09-11-2013, 15:02
I have read many discussions on mail drops. I have not decided if I will be doing mail drops but I have discovered that I can get just about anything I need via Amazon Prime. My phone even has an app for ordering on the go (if i have cell.) Have any of you ever tried this, or is it just as easy to stock up in most towns?

Warm Regards
class of 2015

max patch
09-11-2013, 15:14
Do the residents of small towns shop at their local grocery or do they rely on Amazon?

You don't need mail drops unless you have unusual dietary requirements. Having said that, the use of Amazon for the occasional shipment of something unusual is a good idea and one that I will keep in mind.

quasarr
09-11-2013, 16:50
Do the residents of small towns shop at their local grocery or do they rely on Amazon?

Of course not, they drive 25 miles to Wal-Mart so they don't have to pay $6.50 for a jar of peanut butter :D

gollwoods
09-11-2013, 18:36
amazon may not allow the choice of using USPS so if they use UPS it will be necessary to arrange for someplace other than a post office since UPS does not ship general delivery. if I am wrong about this please correct me.

Mags
09-11-2013, 19:15
Make sure you have a large box. Speaking ancient Greek may be helpful.

http://www.wikigender.org/images//thumb/1/1f/Amazon.jpg/250px-Amazon.jpg

jeffmeh
09-11-2013, 20:03
I shipped things to my son using Amazon Prime quite a few times when he was on his thru-hike. I did ship to the hostels, motels, and outfitters that were known to accept mail drops. Among things that I shipped: trail shoes, green superfeet, a replacement for a phone battery pack that failed, bacon bits, spicy dried squid, jerky, and bug dope.

Zippy Morocco
09-16-2013, 10:36
I used Amazon quite a bit for replacement socks, aquamira, food bars, etc. It was easier to place an order for aquamira from a mountain top then trying to time and guess when I might run out and hope that I was coming to a town that stocked it.
That said, it does take away from local economy and I am sure that the online orders are/will lead to the closing of brick and mortar outfitters. Unfortunately the outfitters rarely had what I was looking for and I am not one to settle when it comes to what I'm carrying. So I order most/all of my gear and clothing as well.