PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts trip. Shuttle FAQ?

Patrick
08-09-2005, 17:50
Hello,

I'm looking to hike the AT through Massachusetts at the beginning of September. I'm going to drive up there and drop my car off at one end and hike back to it, so I could use a ride.

I don't know the area, but I'll be there around the 3rd or 4th. I don't have a preference for going north or south. Whichever way is convenient for someone shuttling is good for me.

This is my first time looking for a shuttle. How do I figure the money? Is there a standard amount that people give or something based on mileage? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot.

-Patrick

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2005, 19:17
Different shuttlers want different ammounts.....some do it for fun and will only accept gas money. For others, it's a business. In many cases, you may find that folks are asking around $1.00 to $1.25 a mile, tho in some cases, it may be more, especially if a bad dirt road is involved, or if you need to get dropped off or picked up at a spot that's either difficult or time-consuming to drive to. In ALL cases, find out before getting in the car exactly what the driver expects so that there are no surprises.

The most comprehensive state-by-state list of reliable shuttlers can be found at the ATC website, www.atconf.org

Off the top of my head, you might want to contact either Tom Levardi or Rob Bird, two wonderful guys who both live in Dalton, MA. Both of these guys have been helping hikers for quite awhile; you can get their contact info by accessing the On-Line Thru-Hikers Companion (see www.aldha.org) and look in the Massachusetts section.

Cookerhiker
08-09-2005, 20:29
I section-hiked the southern half of Mass. in April (Rt. 20 to Sages Ravine) and got shuttled by Dana Murphy who lives in CT. He's on the ATC list mentioned above by Jack. He was prompt and timely which I appreciated since I only gave him about a week's notice.

Patrick
08-10-2005, 00:00
Jack and Cooker,

Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely check those guys out tomorrow. I really appreciate it.

-P

Patrick
08-15-2005, 16:19
I did a search on the On-Line Thru-Hiker's Companion, Massachusetts section, but couldn't find any of the three people suggested there. Do you have any more contact info from them?

Anyone else able to give a shuttle either from the bottom of the trail in
Massachusetts to the top or vice-versa? I'm going to be arriving from NYC on the night of the 3rd, so I'll be ready to go on Sunday the 4th first thing in the morning.

Thanks a lot.

-P

Peaks
08-16-2005, 07:46
Try the bus line that runs along US Route 7

Sly
08-16-2005, 09:18
Patrick, you want to search the ATC shuttles list...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

Jack Tarlin
08-16-2005, 14:55
Patrick:

I have phone numbers for both Tom and Rob, and an E-Mail address for Rob that I think is current. Would rather not post this on the Internet without their knowledge/permission; if you need this info and can't find it on your own, write me privately. (baltimorejack at hotmail dot com)

Jack Tarlin
08-16-2005, 16:48
Geez, Sly, I thought you knew EVERYTHING.

There are machines out there, Sly, nasty and snarky ones, that cruise the Internet looking for new E-Mail adresses. These machines collect and save these "found" addresses, and then sell the lists to spammers who are always looking for fresh meat. For this reason, lots of folks refrain from ever printing their actual E-Mail addresses on the Internet, except when absolutely necessary, in order to cut down on unwanted junk mail. This is why I printed my address he way I did.

But now that Sly has rendered my anti-spam effort a waste of time, people should note that the address he thoughtfully provided is the best way to reach me.

Sly
08-16-2005, 16:59

There are machines out there, Sly, nasty and snarky ones,

But now that Sly has rendered my anti-spam effort a waste of time, people should note that the address he thoughtfully provided is the best way to reach me.

Ooops, sorry about that Jack. The edit button has vanished otherwise I'd delete it.

For what it's worth, I've put my email out all over the net, nor do I use filter and haven't gotten an extreme amount of spam. YMMV

If it's any help, I'll send a note to Sgt Rock and Troll to delete.

Patrick
08-16-2005, 21:02
Sly,

I found a link on the site you sent me and contacted them. They got back to me immdiately and agreed to give me a ride.

Thanks everyone so much for the help. Having this shuttle all worked out is a HUGE load off my mind.

-P

Sly
08-17-2005, 00:25
Sly,
I found a link on the site you sent me and contacted them. They got back to me immdiately and agreed to give me a ride. -P

That's awesome you found a ride so quickly. have a great hike.

"It's not what you know, but who you know!" -Joe DeNucci

Thanks, to ATTroll for deleting my goof.