PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry question

DaTwiztedOne
09-12-2013, 11:11
hi yall hope all is well.

i have a question, we (wife and i) have tennessee concealed carry permits, IF we start in Ga and head NB will we run into any states that dont allow guns? if so what do you do about it?? my personal opinion (not always approved by others) is to shut up and keep walking :) any info on this? also if you dont carry any cash how do you pay the ransom that the smokey mountain park is charging the thru hikers?? thanks

PS im not talking about carrying a machine gun or nothing like that, just an ultralight 380 is all

bangorme
09-12-2013, 11:20
Your CCP's will not be honored in, at least, two states along the trail. See http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html I would NEVER carry concealed without a valid permit. You are asking for big problems and potentially big jail time (especially New York). For me, as a retired LEO, the AT would be among the last places I would carry.

Slo-go'en
09-12-2013, 11:20
Yes, you will run into states where you will end up in jail and fined if your caught with a gun. What to do about it? Leave it home where it belongs, in a locked gun cabinet. You pay for your permit for the Smokies on line before you get there. They take credit cards and direct bank transfers. Although you don't need to carry a lot of cash, you should always have some on you.

Ender
09-12-2013, 11:23
OK, a gentle reminder here folks to keep this discussion civil, non-political, and also to keep all suggestions legal. Any deviation from that will result in posts getting deleted, and possibly the thread closed. OK? Now, proceed.

To the OP's question, all states allow guns, but they have different laws and permits required. And you are required by law to respect those laws and obtain all permits in order to carry the full length of the trail.

Rain Man
09-12-2013, 11:27
my personal opinion ... is to shut up and keep walking :) any info on this?

You might want to review the WB User Agreement:

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts ... are forbidden.

I find it shocking how many people with guns don't mind committing felonies.

Rain Man

TrailMonk
09-12-2013, 11:30
Call state police for that state they can help you don't take a chance with advice.

TrailMonk
09-12-2013, 11:31
Felony Charge's are not worth it.

TrailMonk
09-12-2013, 11:32
Very true.

Tuckahoe
The best thing for you to do is to look up each of the states that Tennessee will have resiprocity agreements with such as NC or Virginia. You will not need any sort of permit in Vermont. And you are just plain screwed in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts. Not sure about the difficulties of Connecticut and I don't have the time to look it up till I get home.

We should never need a permit to exercise a constitutional right, but until the courts or voters force a change keep it legal.

TrailMonk
Very TRUE Nashville.
You might want to review the WB User Agreement:

I find it shocking how many people with guns don't mind committing felonies.

Rain Man

TrailMonk
09-12-2013, 11:34
Bears are the only thing out there to hurt you the hikers are friendly.

Sarcasm the elf
09-12-2013, 11:37
Bears are the only thing out there to hurt you the hikers are friendly.

Bears won't hurt you either, no need to spread fear about them.

If you really want to get into it, deer ticks are the most dangerous animal on the trail.

bangorme
09-12-2013, 11:39
Bears won't hurt you either, no need to spread fear about them.

If you really want to get into it, deer ticks are the most dangerous animal on the trail.

Yeah, deer ticks, mosquitoes, and rabid racoons. That would be my top three concerns. They just put down horses in Maine with EEE, so I added the mosquitoes.

Alligator
09-12-2013, 11:58
hi yall hope all is well.

i have a question, we (wife and i) have tennessee concealed carry permits, IF we start in Ga and head NB will we run into any states that dont allow guns? if so what do you do about it?? my personal opinion (not always approved by others) is to shut up and keep walking :) any info on this? also if you dont carry any cash how do you pay the ransom that the smokey mountain park is charging the thru hikers?? thanks

PS im not talking about carrying a machine gun or nothing like that, just an ultralight 380 is allPlease don't start threads about guns where you advocate breaking the law. Closed. You can pay the backcountry fee online, with a thread started here to address printer locations for your permit (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92393-Pre-GSMNP-printer-locations). ($40 is hardly a lot of cash to carry but getting to the office to pay in person may be more difficult while thru-hiking.)