PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Snowbirds. Who's starting 'early' next year?

Poedog
09-12-2013, 13:57
Thought I'd stick my proverbial finger in the breeze to see who's starting a thru before March 1st next year. My partner and I are shooting for early to mid February. The cold rocks.

frogmonkey
09-12-2013, 17:25
I plan on starting the very beginning of February. I do like hiking in the snow, but I'm a little nervous about this.

michaelosborne
09-12-2013, 20:19
I plan on leaving mid February probably around the 16th.

ams212001
09-12-2013, 20:36
This is a genuine question because I am curious, but why are guys choosing an early spring/late winter start? I have never thru hiked so I am playing around with start dates and will probably start mid April.

Poedog
09-12-2013, 21:02
This is a genuine question because I am curious, but why are guys choosing an early spring/late winter start? I have never thru hiked so I am playing around with start dates and will probably start mid April.

Relative solitude, greater challenge, bragging rights, AMAZING time to be in the App's, and an excuse to use all of this winter gear laying around.

And so all of the late starters can read our gnarly stories of freak snowstorms in the Smokies, frozen springs, and near hypothermia.

Why are you starting in mid April?

Valley Girl
09-12-2013, 21:06
I would like to start my hike-thru in April, but if it is a cruel winter I will try and wait a few more weeks.

Poedog
09-12-2013, 21:11
Watch "Winter". Well worth the four minutes of your life.

http://thelongstarttothejourney.com/category/seasons/

And I must congratulate Chris for his finish @ Katahdin on September 5th. What an emotional story.

ams212001
09-12-2013, 21:12
Not experienced in winter hiking, less chance of severe storms/freezing, less weight to carry for a longer period of time, ability for my body to adjust more easily because of better weather. Lol I feel the AT will be hard enough had any point of the year so I am trying to avoid extra obstacles.

Thank you for your answer! I didn't want to come off rude or as if I had a better answer. Just considering all options.

Poedog
09-12-2013, 21:28
Not rude at all. Those are all very valid reasons for starting in April, and such is why the brunt of starters will be pushing off then too. You're right, it will be tough enough as it is, without adding extra unfamiliarities into the mix. We are slightly sick that way I guess, we like the punishment.

Paul the Brit
09-15-2013, 21:30
My son and I plan to start mid February; 15/16th or around that time frame.

Dogwood
09-15-2013, 22:05
You Big Sur Cali types are a riot. :D Enjoying your chutzpah and winter hiking rocks attitude Poedog but talking about it isn't the same as doing it. Of course you know that though. It's easy to mentally ascend to it from behind a keyboard. Don't be a hoity toity Big Sur woosie when it comes time to walk the talk though. :D Just keepn it real.

Enjoy the AT. Love that Big Sur area but could do without some of the hoity toity nose in the air vibe I've received when walking into town with a backpack on and a Jarzee slang. $7 for a a reg cheese slice is a bit too steep for me.

steve0423
09-16-2013, 21:39
I stated Feb 17th this year, saw snow once or twice a week for 7 weeks up through 1st week of April...
saw 2-3 feet of snow in the smokies early March and on Roan mt Easter sunday (six ft drifts)
i wasn't looking for extra punishment, I wanted to finish in time to still have some summer fun with my wife and kids...
Staying ahead of the crowd was a nice bonus, so is having some bad ass "war stories" about a Feb start on a year like this one, it took a LOT of folks out.
By the time we got north the Feb - early Mar starters that were still walking shared an unspoken bond over the hardships we'd seen in the south

It never made me want to quit, but there were times when I was ready for the day to be over

and one thing to keep in mind...
If you start early and get a year like 2013, you'd better have your sh&^ wired tight, cause the margin of error can be extremely narrow, and you can find yourself in trouble in a hurry

Autummyst
09-16-2013, 23:06
Thought I'd stick my proverbial finger in the breeze to see who's starting a thru before March 1st next year. My partner and I are shooting for early to mid February. The cold rocks.

My husband and I are leaving mid february...probably 15th/16h.

What do your gear lists look like? I think it would be awesome if we all swap what we are bringing to gear up for winter weather??? :D

Poedog
09-17-2013, 12:47
You Big Sur Cali types are a riot. :D Enjoying your chutzpah and winter hiking rocks attitude Poedog but talking about it isn't the same as doing it. Of course you know that though. It's easy to mentally ascend to it from behind a keyboard. Don't be a hoity toity Big Sur woosie when it comes time to walk the talk though. :D Just keepn it real.

Enjoy the AT. Love that Big Sur area but could do without some of the hoity toity nose in the air vibe I've received when walking into town with a backpack on and a Jarzee slang. $7 for a a reg cheese slice is a bit too steep for me.

'Ahem'

I was born and raised in the Appalachians. Buena Vista, Virginia to be exact; about ten miles off the trail. Went to college in the Appalachians (Virginia Tech). Then I moved to Durango, Colorado and spent 8 years in the Rockies. I've only been a hoity toity Big Surian for a year now. (You can't really just 'walk into town' in Big Sur, as there is no 'town'. Last time I was in NYC, a slice of cheese was around $6. Not unheard of) I've spent many, many winters in the mountains (Pick a range). You know, just keepin' it real.

I will walk the walk, and leave the talky talk up to you. (6,000 posts!?!) Choose your words WISELY.

On to the discussion at hand..

Poedog
09-17-2013, 13:26
My husband and I are leaving mid february...probably 15th/16h.

What do your gear lists look like? I think it would be awesome if we all swap what we are bringing to gear up for winter weather??? :D

I am attempting to collect all of the hot air being blown around on Whiteblaze to use as insulation.

Winter gear is discussed at great length on here, BPL and other places. The proper system is very important, but this will be more of a test of mental fortitude and patience. It's not an alpine climb, or a trek across frozen tundra, but it will be cold and wet (think freezing rain) with shorter (distance) days and long (time) nights.

geomaniac
09-17-2013, 16:08
I would kind of like to start that early...if for nothing else..the silence of the snowy woods. Still considering it. I havent bought a winter jacket yet..cant decide on down or the new North Face down like synthetic.

Poedog
09-17-2013, 16:18
Have you considered both? i.e. light down jacket or parka, layered over a synth vest. More versatility, and you have a solid core warmth guarantee if your down wets out. These same considerations should be applied to sleeping bags/quilts.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 16:39
I am attempting to collect all of the hot air being blown around on Whiteblaze to use as insulation.

Winter gear is discussed at great length on here, BPL and other places. The proper system is very important, but this will be more of a test of mental fortitude and patience. It's not an alpine climb, or a trek across frozen tundra, but it will be cold and wet (think freezing rain) with shorter (distance) days and long (time) nights.

Hi Poedog,

Hah, i got a good chuckle out of your hot air comment :) I'm talking actually putting our gear lists out. I live in the northeast, so I'm not stranger to winter camping/hiking but I find that I LOVE talking gear :o Who would've known when I started this grand adventure I'd get like that. I think it's my way of also occupying time so that EVERY MINUTE is not spend wondering how many more months until I get to go hiking all the time.

So for example, my current winter sleeping/camp system as of now is (keep in mind hiking with husband who is a furnace, no joke, the tent instantly warms about 5-10 degrees with him in it):

two person double wall tent
15 degree down sleeping bag
Fleece sleeping liner that claims to add 20 degrees, really probably about 10 having used it on cold nights
260 gm Icebreaker top
260gm Icebreaker bottom
3/4 Ridgerest Sleeping pad
Smartwool socks
Smartwool glove liners
Smarwool Balaclava

my "maybe I'll add it if i think I'll be too cold" in camp list:

Down booties
Inertia x lite short sleeping pad

geomaniac
09-17-2013, 16:45
Thanks for the suggestion. I am weighing all of my options. I havent dont much winter camping other than a few weekend trips.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 16:57
Oh, I also have a patagonia UL down coat for camp...got it on sale at the end of last winter season.

kayak karl
09-17-2013, 17:03
Thanks for the suggestion. I am weighing all of my options. I havent dont much winter camping other than a few weekend trips. winter hiking and winter camping are two different animals.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 17:04
Geo, my husband and I feel the same way about the silence of the woods and such. I always find it interesting when people say we will be 'missing out' by going earlier because we actually think winter is a beautiful season to witness and hike/camp in. I much prefer hiking and sleeping in freezing weather over sweltering 90 degree days and never being comfortable enough to sleep in the heat. I would definitely recommend trying it out first though to see if you like hiking/camping in the winter. Maybe go out a few times in the mountains of georgia with some friends in December to get a feel for it (if the weekend trips you did before were mostly car camping)?

ZenMtn
09-17-2013, 18:35
I plan on departing as early in Feb. as possible (pending weather conditions). I am working hard on getting all of my gear established. I live in a border town of the Smokies and plan on undergoing multiple shake downs this winter in preparation. Anyone who plans on leaving early is welcome to come join me this winter. When you break the 6,000 ft elev.barrier, brother it gets cold!

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 18:55
I plan on departing as early in Feb. as possible (pending weather conditions). I am working hard on getting all of my gear established. I live in a border town of the Smokies and plan on undergoing multiple shake downs this winter in preparation. Anyone who plans on leaving early is welcome to come join me this winter. When you break the 6,000 ft elev.barrier, brother it gets cold!

Zen, you're in the perfect place to practice! I'm a little jealous :P What gear do you have so far?

geomaniac
09-17-2013, 20:09
Maybe go out a few times in the mountains of georgia with some friends in December to get a feel for it (if the weekend trips you did before were mostly car camping)?

Hi Autummyst, I dont really have any friends that like getting out in the woods at this time anyway. My previous winter camping trips were weekend backpacking and canoeing trips. There was no snow, but temps in the teens and 20s at night. I plan on doing a few shakedown hikes this winter (nov&Dec.) before hitting the AT later in the early spring. I also spent some snowy winters "camping" when I was in the army.

Derf
09-18-2013, 00:45
My wife and I just talked today at length about moving are start date up to mid feb. nice to see we will have some company.

Autummyst
09-18-2013, 11:36
Hi Autummyst, I dont really have any friends that like getting out in the woods at this time anyway. My previous winter camping trips were weekend backpacking and canoeing trips. There was no snow, but temps in the teens and 20s at night. I plan on doing a few shakedown hikes this winter (nov&Dec.) before hitting the AT later in the early spring. I also spent some snowy winters "camping" when I was in the army.

Geo,

I feel like whenever I find out someone was in the army and they are hiking that they get immediate "bad***" credits. You'll probably teach all of us a thing or two :P

Autummyst
09-18-2013, 11:38
Awesome Derf! It looks like we might have a little group going :)

ZenMtn
09-18-2013, 19:26
Zen, you're in the perfect place to practice! I'm a little jealous :P What gear do you have so far?

I am pretty spoiled when it comes to hiking. I'm about to head up to the Chimney Tops tonight to get a panoramic moonlight image of the smokies nestled under the cosmos. As far as my gear goes, here is what I have and/or planning to buy. It's all subject to change.

Item
Brand
Qty
Lbs
Oz's
Weight (oz)

Packing and Camping:

Backpack
ULA Ohm

Pack Liner
Compactor Trash Bag (80L)

Sleeping Bag
Marmot Plasma 15

Bag Liner
Columbia Omni-heat

Storage Bag
Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sack - 13 Liter

Tent
Big Agnes Flycreek UL1

Sleeping Pad
Thermarest Z-lite Sol

Items Worn or Carried:

Hiking Boots (Winter)
Vasque Snow Junkie Udry 200g Pesto

Light Hikers (Spring/Summer)
Keen Marshall

Socks
Keen Olympus
N/A
N/A
N/A

Wigwam Wool Hiker

Underwear
Exocfficio Give-n-go Boxer Briefs
N/A
N/A
N/A

Base Layer Upper
Smart Wool NTS Light 195 Hoodie
N/A
N/A
N/A

Base Layer Lower
Smart Wool NTS Light 195 Pants

Mid Layer
Columbia Fleece Vest

Jacket
TNF Thermoball

Rain jacket
Frogz Togz Toad Rage

Rain underlayer
Bull Frogg Pants

Pants
TNF Convertibles

Gaiters

Headlamp

Treking Poles

Cooking and Drinking:

Stove
Fancy Feast Homemade

Fuel Container
8 flz water bottle

Pot
1.5L Wal-Mart grease pot

Lighter
Match book

Wind screen
Aluminum Homemade

Spoon
KFC Plastic Spoon

Towel
Bandana/ Shamwow

Water Containers
Poweraide Bottle

Water Treatment
Aqua Mira

Fuel
Isopropyl Alcohol

Food Sack
13-15L

Survival and Hygiene:

Ditty Sack

Trail guide
AWOL's guide to the AT

First Aid Kit

Medication
Advil/Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Vitamins

Knife
Victorinox classic penknife

Backup Fire Starter
Bic mini lighter

Foot Care
Moleskin

Sewing Kit

Cord
Paracord

Chapstick
1 stick

Toilet Paper
Charmin

Luxury Items:

Kindle
Paperlight 3G

Journal (optional)

Pen

Solar Charging Panel
Waka Waka

Watch
Timex

I just copied and pasted from my running excel worksheet so please forgive the layout. Also the total weight is still in flux so I have no clue what I will end up with. The leaves are already beginning to change here so we will be able to put our winter gear to the test very soon. What gear are you looking at bringing?

Autummyst
09-19-2013, 11:25
Awesome Zen! Here is a summary of my list. When I went out for my most recent trip with my husband, we carried 3 days of food and 2 liters of water and my pack weight came out to about 27 lbs with everything. We are still trying out our systems, so I'm sure I'll make changes and possibly cut some stuff out with the more prep hikes we do. I have a lot of layering pieces for hiking rather than one ultra warm piece so I can work with adjusting temps. That's the idea for now anyway. Also, some of these things are split between my husband and I like our luxury items of cards and a book:

Sleeping/Camp:

Double wall tent
15 degree down bag
Z-lite sleeping pad
20 degree liner (but really about 10 when i tried it out)
260 gm Icebreaker pants
260 gm Icebreaker long sleeve top
Patagonia UL down coat, no hood
Smartwool glove liners
Smartwool balaclava
Smartwool socks (two pairs)

Hiking:

150 gm wool long sleeve top with hood
150 gm Icebreaker short sleeve
150gm Icebreaker tank top
200gm Icebreaker leggings
Icebreaker shorts that can go over leggings if need be
Marmot Precip Pants and Coat
Standard fleece jacket i already had
UA fleece headband that covers ears
Waterproof convertible mittens
Darntough socks
1 pair patagonia underwear
Keen hiking boots

Other:

ULA Catalyst and pack liner
Leki trekking poles
GSI hallulite minimalist cooking pot
pocket rocket
fuel canister
mini deck of cards
trash compacter bag for inside liner of pack
various bags for storage
Zpacks food bag
First Aid
Dr. Bronners
"The Hobbit" book
headlamp
wet wipes

I am pretty spoiled when it comes to hiking. I'm about to head up to the Chimney Tops tonight to get a panoramic moonlight image of the smokies nestled under the cosmos. As far as my gear goes, here is what I have and/or planning to buy. It's all subject to change.

Item
Brand
Qty
Lbs
Oz's
Weight (oz)

Packing and Camping:

Backpack
ULA Ohm

Pack Liner
Compactor Trash Bag (80L)

Sleeping Bag
Marmot Plasma 15

Bag Liner
Columbia Omni-heat

Storage Bag
Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sack - 13 Liter

Tent
Big Agnes Flycreek UL1

Sleeping Pad
Thermarest Z-lite Sol

Items Worn or Carried:

Hiking Boots (Winter)
Vasque Snow Junkie Udry 200g Pesto

Light Hikers (Spring/Summer)
Keen Marshall

Socks
Keen Olympus
N/A
N/A
N/A

Wigwam Wool Hiker

Underwear
Exocfficio Give-n-go Boxer Briefs
N/A
N/A
N/A

Base Layer Upper
Smart Wool NTS Light 195 Hoodie
N/A
N/A
N/A

Base Layer Lower
Smart Wool NTS Light 195 Pants

Mid Layer
Columbia Fleece Vest

Jacket
TNF Thermoball

Rain jacket
Frogz Togz Toad Rage

Rain underlayer
Bull Frogg Pants

Pants
TNF Convertibles

Gaiters

Headlamp

Treking Poles

Cooking and Drinking:

Stove
Fancy Feast Homemade

Fuel Container
8 flz water bottle

Pot
1.5L Wal-Mart grease pot

Lighter
Match book

Wind screen
Aluminum Homemade

Spoon
KFC Plastic Spoon

Towel
Bandana/ Shamwow

Water Containers
Poweraide Bottle

Water Treatment
Aqua Mira

Fuel
Isopropyl Alcohol

Food Sack
13-15L

Survival and Hygiene:

Ditty Sack

Trail guide
AWOL's guide to the AT

First Aid Kit

Medication
Advil/Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Vitamins

Knife
Victorinox classic penknife

Backup Fire Starter
Bic mini lighter

Foot Care
Moleskin

Sewing Kit

Cord
Paracord

Chapstick
1 stick

Toilet Paper
Charmin

Luxury Items:

Kindle
Paperlight 3G

Journal (optional)

Pen

Solar Charging Panel
Waka Waka

Watch
Timex

I just copied and pasted from my running excel worksheet so please forgive the layout. Also the total weight is still in flux so I have no clue what I will end up with. The leaves are already beginning to change here so we will be able to put our winter gear to the test very soon. What gear are you looking at bringing?

jeffmeh
09-19-2013, 12:03
Here's a sample pack list showing one way to approach it, including everything one may need for a February start NOBO through the finish, based upon my son's 2012 thru. Some of the items would be swapped out based upon the season (e.g., bug protection in winter, traction when no longer needed, extra layers when it gets hot up around Virginia, etc.). Obviously, a lot of this is personal preference (e.g., camp shoes or not, are you comforable with an alcohol stove in the Southern App winter, etc.), and the brand names are less important than the function and weight. I will note that we both have found the Stoic merino to be more durable than the Ibex, so we no longer buy Ibex brand.

The gear list is predicated on weathering the coldest nights by wearing all of the layers, and using the tent, even in the shelter if need be. Those nights may or may not be comfortable depending upon one's metabolism, but they should not be dangerous. It is also not really UL, but deemed reasonable for a man with significant hiking and camping experience, starting the hike at a fit 190 lbs. I also threw in 10 lbs. of food, 2l of water, and a generous 12 oz. fuel allowance. YMMV.

Qty

Item

Weight (oz.)

Weight (lbs.)

Link

Big Three

ULA Circuit

http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

Trash Compactor Bag

Tarptent Rainbow w/ Liners

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Warbonnet Top Quilt, Long, 3-season

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/topquilt.php

Exped Synmat UL7 Med

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf/0/48E15F320AFDC7EDC125767E00705EC7?opendocument

Dyneema Cord (100 ft, 0.12 lbs per 100 ft)

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?ind=13&app=27&rope=168&inst=1

Polycro Sheet

Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad 1/8"

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html

Cook System

Penny Stove

http://www.acaircraft.com/pennystove/home.htm

Grease Pot

http://www.stancometal.com/products.asp

GSI Rehydrate Lexan Spoon

http://dealer.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?q=rehydrate+spoon&p=70416&lu=%2fsearch.aspx%3fq%3drehydrate%2bspoon%26&c=6&

TrailCooking Minimalist Cozy

http://www.trailcooking.com/store/minimalist-cozy

Pro Bear Bag System

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=79

Fuel bottle

Mug

Freezer bags

Water System

Platypus 2l Water Tank

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/platy-water-tank/product

Water bottles

Aqua-Mira Kit

http://gossamergear.com/etc/hydration/aquamira-water-treatment-105.html

Clothing

Bug Head Net

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=66

eVent Rain Mitts

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51

eVent Gaiters

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=114

PossumDown Gloves

http://www.sheepskinstore.co.nz/en/cp/Gloves

Kahtoola MicroSpikes

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

Polypropylene Balaclava

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AN62RC

Black Rock Down Hat

http://www.blackrockgear.com/

Ibex Woolies Bottom

http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1952/8100/mens-woolies-bottom

Ibex Woolies Crew Long Top

http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product/1947/8990/mens-woolies-crew

Stoic Merino 200 Crew Long Top

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-200-crew-long-sleeve-mens

Underwear - Stoic Merino Boxer Briefs

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-boxer-brief-mens

Rain Chaps

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=77

Packa

http://www.thepacka.com/

Patagonia Houdini Jacket

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-houdini-full-zip-jacket?p=24017-0-614

Socks

http://darntough.com/hike-trek-1405.html

Goretex Socks

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4636/1600FQ0008013/Rocky-13''-GORE-TEX-Socks/?mm_campaign=d62669ea9895c8ce1f6232236234fab7&mm_keyword=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=Inventory%20Marketing&cvsfa=3128&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=383031332d4d3131304d572d52

Convertible pants

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10970353

Down Jacket

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301344

Shammy

Bandana

Crocs

Tools

Leatherman Squirt PS4

http://www.leatherman.com/product/squirt_ps4

Mini-Bic lighter

Mini Cuben Ditty Bags

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=171

Headlamp

http://www.rei.com/product/793268/petzl-zipka-plus-2-led-headlamp

Blackberry

Charger Battery

http://www.seidioonline.com/charging-vault-usb-wall-charger-portable-battery-p/pbpt22.htm

Compass

Maps/Guide

Duct tape

ID/Cash/Credit Card

Book

Hygiene

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Sun block

Bug dope

TP

Sanitizer

Camp soap

Powder

Vitamins

Chap stick

First Aid

Needle

Floss

Ibuprofen

Immodium

Cold Meds

Antibiotic ointment

Gauze Pads (4x4)

Band-aids

Blister treatment

Worn or Carried

Underwear - Ibex Woolies Boxer Briefs

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Mens-Boxers/Woolies-Boxer

Shorts

Stoic Merino 150 Crew Long Top

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-crew-shirt-long-sleeve-mens

Socks

http://darntough.com/hike-trek-1405.html

Merrell Moab Ventilator Trail Shoes

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12006M/0/Mens/Moab-Ventilator?dimensions=0

Poles

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/distance-fl-trekking-pole

Buff

http://www.buffusa.com/buffusa/collections/12

Sunglasses

Consumables

Water (2l)

Food (5 days)

Fuel (5 days)

Total Weight

Base Weight

Base + Consumables

Malto
09-19-2013, 13:15
I would rethink the Z-lite. At 2.6R it is insufficient for four season. If cost is not an issue then the x-therm is 5.7R and a whole lot more comfortable as well.

GoodGerman
09-19-2013, 14:11
Hi,

If I can catch a reasonable priced flight, then February 1 will be my starting date.
Might be cold, but so are the winters in Bavaria ;-)

Thanks for having me in your wonderful country :)

Autummyst
09-19-2013, 18:30
Hi Malto,

I agree... we are going to use the zlite for the whole hike and we might get this to supplement for the colder months (use both of them):

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/inertia-x-lite-orange-short.html

Anyone try this out?

I would rethink the Z-lite. At 2.6R it is insufficient for four season. If cost is not an issue then the x-therm is 5.7R and a whole lot more comfortable as well.

Autummyst
09-19-2013, 18:31
Hi GoodGerman! That's awesome and you'll have comparable weather to practice in at home so that works out well :) Let us know how your practice hikes go!

Autummyst
09-19-2013, 18:34
Jeffmah,

Thanks for sharing :) We founb ibex to not be very durable as well, but so far Icebreaker has been awesome. We got all our namebrand stuff when they went on half off or more off season sales! It's amazing how much they go for when they are no longer 'in season' and the new colors come out and such.

Poedog
09-19-2013, 19:35
...we might get this to supplement for the colder months (use both of them):

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/inertia-x-lite-orange-short.html

Anyone try this out?

Don't imagine that will help much for an early thru. In that price range, try to find a used TR Prolite (small) and supplement with zrest, ridgerest, blue foam, couple sheets of cardboard from town, what have you.

I'm carrying synmat ul and ccf.

Edit: upon further study, the Klymit pad uses the dead space for the uncompressed sections of your sleeping bag for insulation, so I will remove said foot from mouth. Not sure of the R-value of the Klymits otherwise.

GoodGerman, willkommen!

Autummyst
09-19-2013, 23:49
Hi Poedog,

:) That's why we are wondering if anyone has tried it. They claim this 'loft' idea and I'm curious if it's worked out to be effective. They say that basically the 'r' value is your sleeping bag. So I have a 15degree bag which means that the klymit will help me to that rating according to their site.

Don't imagine that will help much for an early thru. In that price range, try to find a used TR Prolite (small) and supplement with zrest, ridgerest, blue foam, couple sheets of cardboard from town, what have you.

I'm carrying synmat ul and ccf.

Edit: upon further study, the Klymit pad uses the dead space for the uncompressed sections of your sleeping bag for insulation, so I will remove said foot from mouth. Not sure of the R-value of the Klymits otherwise.

GoodGerman, willkommen!

GoodGerman
09-20-2013, 05:34
Outdoorgearlab (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Klymit-Inertia-X-Frame) has tested the Klymit. The Con's really are a bummer :)

Usually I'm good using my Z-Rest in 3-Seasons. However I wouldn't want to spend extended periods of wintertime on in.
Will augment the pad with a Woman's NeoAir Xlite I picked up at an REI sale (warmer than the men's version) and ditch one of the pads after Mt. Rogers.

Because the R-Values stack, this would give me a total R of 2,6 + 3,9.

If you are on a budget and don't mind the bulkiness, then you could bring a second Z-Rest or a blue Walmart foam pad.
Two shock cords wrapped around the two sleeping pads help to keep them in place :)

Trance
09-20-2013, 09:30
Dont start too early.... you might have an issue getting through SMNP. The elevation could make for some problems getting around..... and slow you down alot if not stop your hike for a bit.

Autummyst
09-20-2013, 12:24
Thank you for the gear review link GoodGerman! My husband and I are pretty convinced that klymit will not be the way to go now. We are looking at the NeoAirxlite to put on top of our zlites. Great suggestion! And we feel more confident with that combination. We are going to test it out this winter in New England so we'll let everyone know how it goes!

Outdoorgearlab (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Klymit-Inertia-X-Frame) has tested the Klymit. The Con's really are a bummer :)

Usually I'm good using my Z-Rest in 3-Seasons. However I wouldn't want to spend extended periods of wintertime on in.
Will augment the pad with a Woman's NeoAir Xlite I picked up at an REI sale (warmer than the men's version) and ditch one of the pads after Mt. Rogers.

Because the R-Values stack, this would give me a total R of 2,6 + 3,9.

If you are on a budget and don't mind the bulkiness, then you could bring a second Z-Rest or a blue Walmart foam pad.
Two shock cords wrapped around the two sleeping pads help to keep them in place :)

frogmonkey
09-21-2013, 13:10
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is going to be starting early. I hope to see some of you on the trail! I'm leaving February 2nd because my husband will be on a six month deployment and I want to be back before he gets home. That and I do love backpacking in the winter. It is so peaceful, and the views are better because there's no leaves on the trees.

I'm going with a hammock setup, top quilt, under quilt and tarp. When December hits I'm going out to SNP to do a shakedown and see how I fair.

frogmonkey
09-21-2013, 17:53
I'm trying to figure out what boots to buy for all the winter hiking. I have a pair of Merrel Moab Mid Waterproof boots, but the last time I went hiking in the snow with them they were damp on the inside within a few hours. I know getting waterproof boots that never get wet is pretty much impossible, but I was just wondering what other folks were considering.

kayak karl
09-21-2013, 19:59
I'm trying to figure out what boots to buy for all the winter hiking. I have a pair of Merrel Moab Mid Waterproof boots, but the last time I went hiking in the snow with them they were damp on the inside within a few hours. I know getting waterproof boots that never get wet is pretty much impossible, but I was just wondering what other folks were considering. i walked in wet boots, walked in frozen boots and if the moon and stars were in the perfect position i walked in dry boots. damp is fine. even on a dry day your feet sweat and boots are damp.

ZenMtn
09-21-2013, 23:12
I'm trying to figure out what boots to buy for all the winter hiking. I have a pair of Merrel Moab Mid Waterproof boots, but the last time I went hiking in the snow with them they were damp on the inside within a few hours. I know getting waterproof boots that never get wet is pretty much impossible, but I was just wondering what other folks were considering.

Kayak Karl is absolutely right. The moisture is going to be there regardless. I guess it is how we manage it is what determines our performance. Here are the boots that I have been looking at - http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7820-vasque/7820-vasque-mens-snow-junkie-ultradry%E2%84%A2-pesto-beluga.

frogmonkey
09-22-2013, 11:38
Kayak Karl is absolutely right. The moisture is going to be there regardless. I guess it is how we manage it is what determines our performance. Here are the boots that I have been looking at - http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7820-vasque/7820-vasque-mens-snow-junkie-ultradry%E2%84%A2-pesto-beluga.

Those boots do look like they would get the job done. I was looking at http://www.rei.com/product/803483/salomon-deemax-2-dry-winter-boots-mens. There were another pair of Salomon's I was looking at, the Quest 4D, but they are just way too heavy.

Autummyst
09-22-2013, 20:52
Those boots do look like they would get the job done. I was looking at http://www.rei.com/product/803483/salomon-deemax-2-dry-winter-boots-mens. There were another pair of Salomon's I was looking at, the Quest 4D, but they are just way too heavy.

I loved the Salomon's too, but they were also too heavy for what I was looking for. I ended up with Keens and so far I love them. I'm going to test them out in the snow though and see what I think this winter :)

frogmonkey
09-24-2013, 15:55
Just when I thought I found the perfect pair of boots, my hopes and dreams were crushed. I tried on the Oboz Wind River II, and they felt absolutely fabulous, but were a little narrow. I figured I would just get them in a men's size 7 and I'd be good to go. They don't make them in a size 7 for men :(. I'm going to see if I can find a pair of Keen Targhee's to try on and see how they feel. I hear they have a pretty roomy toebox, which is what I need.

frogmonkey
10-03-2013, 11:47
Is anybody else bringing microspikes?

Autummyst
10-03-2013, 12:54
Is anybody else bringing microspikes?

Hi! We were thinking of bringing them and then my parents gave us an unused pair that is like a more minor version of that that are lighter weight. Instead of spikes, it has coils on the bottom if that make any sense. We are going to try those out first and get the microspikes if the weather is bad enough or if the ones we have end up being useless. We are going to try 'em out this winter before we head out (we live in New England, so plenty of bad winter weather to try things out in)

The following link isn't it exactly, but pretty close:

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Pro-Traction-Cleats-Snow/dp/B001CZJBKC

frogmonkey
10-03-2013, 15:42
I've looked at similar non-spike models as well. I just can't decide! The one time I went backpacking in the snow I didn't have a problem, but there was just snow and no slush.

kayak karl
10-03-2013, 16:05
i use these (http://www.icespike.com/) . others have used them and can back me up.

frogmonkey
10-03-2013, 21:24
i use these (http://www.icespike.com/) . others have used them and can back me up.

Do you leave them in your shoes even if you don't need them? How much do they weigh?

Poedog
10-07-2013, 14:05
Do you leave them in your shoes even if you don't need them? How much do they weigh?

"ICESPIKE™ adds no additional weight and won’t affect gait or cause muscle fatigue or injury. You don’t even know you’re wearing them!" Also, they simply screw in/out.

scooterdogma
10-08-2013, 08:20
In dry conditions, did the spikes make rock scrambles slippery?

Jeff
10-08-2013, 10:31
The gear lists of early starters better include extra $$$. You will be spending more time in motels and hostels waiting out storms and nasty weather.

oldwetherman
10-08-2013, 19:52
Here's a few things I learned from a March 20th start this past spring: 1+ to Jehhmeh's suggestion of MLD event outer mitten shells. Just be sure you seam seal them inside and out and take two pair of some sort of wool Mitten inserts. Be sure the sleeve length of your rain gear overlaps those mittens by two or three inches. It will rain, freezing rain and snow all within a few minutes....water running off your rain gear will run right down the sleeve and into your mittens. !+ on Jeff's suggestion of extra funds. Postholing through knee high and waist deep snow is gonna tire you out and slow you way down. Take maps of Georgia and North Carolina. Datto sells some really compact ones. The trail guide is just going to give you distances to the next road crossing. In a group of about ten of us, one person had a map. That map showed us that a side trip down Chunky Gal trail was going to save us several miles of tough, miserable hiking.

fertilizer
10-09-2013, 15:53
I'd also bring a National Geographic Smokies map. There are several side trails to bail out points along the AT in the Smokies if you get into to trouble.

CarlZ993
10-09-2013, 22:16
I've looked at similar non-spike models as well. I just can't decide! The one time I went backpacking in the snow I didn't have a problem, but there was just snow and no slush.
The problem is when the snow gets compacted & it turns into ice. When I came down Clingman's Dome this year, it was essentially a bob-sled run. Wish I had my Microspikes. Did a lot of butt-sliding. And falling.

Figgy
10-13-2013, 17:26
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is going to be starting early. I hope to see some of you on the trail! I'm leaving February 2nd because my husband will be on a six month deployment and I want to be back before he gets home. That and I do love backpacking in the winter. It is so peaceful, and the views are better because there's no leaves on the trees.

I'm going with a hammock setup, top quilt, under quilt and tarp. When December hits I'm going out to SNP to do a shakedown and see how I fair.

Looking forward to see your shelter blogs then, since you will be a couple weeks ahead. I'm leaving on February 16th, and people think I'm crazy.

Autummyst
10-13-2013, 18:50
Looking forward to see your shelter blogs then, since you will be a couple weeks ahead. I'm leaving on February 16th, and people think I'm crazy.

Hi Figgy :) My husband and I are planning on leaving the 16th as well! Maybe we will see you that day :D

kayak karl
10-13-2013, 19:33
In dry conditions, did the spikes make rock scrambles slippery? they do the opposite. i don't slip on wet or frosted rocks either. they are in my shoes that i walk my dog with. we have slate sidewalks in town that are like glass when wet. they are also great on wet leaves. i carry a small plastic toy wrench to put them in and out. they are not the same as regular zip screws. harder steel with two sharp chisels on them.

_ciel
10-17-2013, 21:54
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are starting around February 15. I don't have too much hiking experience to begin with (just a 4 day trip in NC in July) and a couple of overnights and day hikes. We are planning on testing our fortitude for winter hiking in November up in Georgia. Anyone from around Springer that can give an off the cuff weather forecast for this winter? Thanks! :)

Autummyst
10-17-2013, 22:43
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are starting around February 15. I don't have too much hiking experience to begin with (just a 4 day trip in NC in July) and a couple of overnights and day hikes. We are planning on testing our fortitude for winter hiking in November up in Georgia. Anyone from around Springer that can give an off the cuff weather forecast for this winter? Thanks! :)

Hi Ciel,

Looks like we might have a little group going that weekend :) It's the same for us, unless there's nutso conditions, we'll be leaving that same weekend from Springer. We are doing our winter hikes in Connecticut at the end of November to try out our winter gear. We also have to be back for about mid august. I am a professor and my husband is going back to school for nursing. Let us know how your November shake down goes!

:D

Paul the Brit
10-18-2013, 07:30
Figgy was you at the REI talk on Wednesday 16th? I seem to remember during introduction someone said their trail name was Figgy. I plan starting 16th with my son but we will be driving up from Texas as I am relocating in a few weeks.

_ciel
10-18-2013, 08:40
Hi Ciel,

Looks like we might have a little group going that weekend :) It's the same for us, unless there's nutso conditions, we'll be leaving that same weekend from Springer. We are doing our winter hikes in Connecticut at the end of November to try out our winter gear. We also have to be back for about mid august. I am a professor and my husband is going back to school for nursing. Let us know how your November shake down goes!

:D

Awesome! I'm glad we will have a little company. I look forward to meeting you all! :D

Valley Girl
10-18-2013, 09:07
You all will be my motivation to get out of my warm sleeping bag on those cold mornings. See you on the trail:dance

speedbump
10-18-2013, 18:07
I hope to, watching the weather.

GoodGerman
10-20-2013, 07:20
Just booked my flight so I can hit the trail on February, 1.
Still have to finish my master thesis though :/

Anyway, gotta be cold, rainy and snowy. Love it :)
Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail.

Autummyst
10-20-2013, 09:39
Just booked my flight so I can hit the trail on February, 1.
Still have to finish my master thesis though :/

Anyway, gotta be cold, rainy and snowy. Love it :)
Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail.

Good luck with your thesis!!! When I did mine years ago, it was quite the process :o Are you starting your hike right after you arrive?

GoodGerman
10-20-2013, 10:50
I'm halfway through though. Still.. quite a mess :)

I don't think I will start right after arrival. It's a 10h flight in economy class and i am 6'5"
Not sure how long it will take until my legs are back to their original length. ;)

Also quite a lot of my gear is at a friends house in Phoenix, AZ. So I need to have it shipped to Atlanta anyways. Will stay in a Hotel for a day or two, relax and check out REI and Walmart. Might take a while though because on your side of the pond everything is at least 3x bigger than in Germany. :)

Autummyst
10-21-2013, 00:53
I'm halfway through though. Still.. quite a mess :)

I don't think I will start right after arrival. It's a 10h flight in economy class and i am 6'5"
Not sure how long it will take until my legs are back to their original length. ;)

Also quite a lot of my gear is at a friends house in Phoenix, AZ. So I need to have it shipped to Atlanta anyways. Will stay in a Hotel for a day or two, relax and check out REI and Walmart. Might take a while though because on your side of the pond everything is at least 3x bigger than in Germany. :)

Ha! It's so true. I lived in South Korea for a year and when I came back to the United States, I couldn't believe how big EVERYTHING was. Size small, for drinks like coffee and such, in the US is equivalent to a regular size in Korea.

:o

chasing shadows
10-22-2013, 12:28
Hey guys, I just saw this thread. Im planning to start my through hike in mid February just got save some more money. hopefully I will see some of you guys out on the trail.

Autummyst
10-23-2013, 00:36
Hey guys, I just saw this thread. Im planning to start my through hike in mid February just got save some more money. hopefully I will see some of you guys out on the trail.

Hi Chasing :) How is your gear list coming along for a feb start?

chasing shadows
10-23-2013, 06:34
this is what i have so far, i hope to get the weights i am missing i just need to get a new scale since mine died. Gear list

BIG 3:

Tent: fly creek ul2 :poles and spikes 1 lbs 2.7 oz, tent body, footprint rain fly 1 lbs 15.3 ozs = 3 lbs 2 ozs
Pack: gossamer gear gorilla large 28 oz 1 lbs 12 oz( 4lbs 14 oz)
Sleeping pad:gossamer gear torso pad 4.9 oz (5 lbs 2.9)
Sleeping bag: stoic vamp 15 degree long 2 lbs 9 oz( 7 lbs. 11.9oz) ]
Total:7 lbs 11.9 oz

COOKING:
Spork: snow peak titanium spork: .6 oz
Pot: snow peak single wall 600 cup: 2.8 oz(2.86 oz)
Stove: Trangia alcohol stove: 4 oz(6.86 oz)
Fuel storage: plastic water bottle:.1 oz(6.87 oz)
Windscreen: planning on making a homemade one.
Alcohol: 10 oz of heet( 1 lbs .87 oz)
Total: 8 lbs 12.77 oz

Water system:
Filter: sawyer squeeze filter: 2.7 oz, all things 6.4 oz( two plastic water bags, towel, syringe and bag) (6.4 0z)
Bladder: platypus 3L 3.6 oz (10 oz)
Total: 9 lbs 6.77 oz

Clothes:
boots: still unsure but hope to pick some soon so i can start to break them in
Outer layer: Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket 12 oz

Middle layer: Loki Midi Micro Fleece 9 oz(1 lbs 5 oz)
shirt(s): 2 Nike Legend Dri-FIT Crew T-Shirt weight unknown(1 lbs 5 oz)
Pants: Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants ~ 12 oz( 2 lbs 1oz)
Undies: 2 pairs of ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief(4 oz each, 8 oz)(2 lbs 9 oz)
Socks: 2 pairs of Darn Tough Vermont Men's Merino Wool Boot Full Cushion Socks(4.8 oz each, 9 oz)(3 lbs 2 oz)
Sock liners: SmartWool Merino Wool Liner Socks weight unknown( 3 lbs 2 oz)
Head wear: buff weight unknown( 3 lbs 2 oz)
Hat: wool hat weight unknown ( 3 lbs 2 oz)
Gaiters: Mountain Laurel Designs SuperLight Gaitor 1.8 oz( 3 lbs 3.8 oz)
Gloves: not sure which ones i”ll get yet( 3 lbs 3.8 oz)
Long Underwear: not sure which ones i”ll get yet( 3 lbs 3.8 oz)
raingear/ pack cover: Packa~13 oz(4 lbs 3.8 oz)
Total:13 lbs 10.5 oz but there are weights I am missing and I am also unsure of the total weight of the clothes I will be wearing.

MISC.:
Matches: Storm Proof matches .5 oz( 13 lbs 11oz)
Headlamp: Petzl Tikka XP 2 Headlamp 3.1 oz with batteries(13 lbs 14.1 oz)
Lighter: bic lighter .5 oz(13 lbs 14.6 oz)
First aid:Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight / Watertight .5. 3.68 oz(14 lbs 2 oz
Camp shoes: Grip Socks 4 oz(14 lbs 6 oz)
Trecking poles: Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Pole 1 lb 2oz(15 lbs 8 oz)
Towel: Packtowl Personal Towel weight unknown(15 lbs 8 oz)
Tape: weight unknown ( 15 lbs 8 oz)
Bear bag: Pro Bear Bag System 3.2 oz (15 lbs 11.2 oz)

Hygiene:
Tooth brush
Toothpaste
Small amount of concentrated soap
Chapstick
Sunblock
TP
Bug spray

Total bag weight with the missing weights not counting poles 14 lbs 9.2 oz. I am sure I missed some things but I will do my best to update the list. Im hoping that I can get my pack weight to be around 18 lbs not counting food or water by the time I have everything packed.

Autummyst
10-23-2013, 11:52
Nice Chasing! Thanks for posting what you have so far. I really like to see what others are bringing as I hash out my own gear list. Everything on yours looks pretty solid. For your sleeping pad, what's the r value? I was originally going to bring something similar (my husband as well) and we decided to get a sleeping pad with a higher r value since it'll be chillyyyyyy out.

chasing shadows
10-24-2013, 05:42
the r value is 2.27 for that pad. i am planning to test it out in some cold nights this winter to see how it works and if i will need a better pad. i may also buy some padding from gossamer gear and make a pad out of that if i need extra padding. im hoping that the torso pad will be enough since it folds and helps work as a frame for my pack.24609

Autummyst
10-24-2013, 11:01
the r value is 2.27 for that pad. i am planning to test it out in some cold nights this winter to see how it works and if i will need a better pad. i may also buy some padding from gossamer gear and make a pad out of that if i need extra padding. im hoping that the torso pad will be enough since it folds and helps work as a frame for my pack.24609

That's awesome you've integrated it into your pack. Worst case, you could always bring that extra padding for the first couple of chilly months and then send it home when you don't need it anymore (if you end up needing it).

jdc5294
10-28-2013, 17:52
I did a thru in 2012 and am seriously considering doing it again this year, I started on 2/19. Beating the crowds was definitely a plus, I did it for the solitude plus always having work for stay available in the whites was awesome. The hostels weren't crowded at all either.

max patch
10-28-2013, 18:12
Hi all!

The weather forecast for Feb is that it will be a heckuva lot colder than when you do your shakedown hike in Nov.

Sometime in April for me.

Yukon
10-29-2013, 09:14
Anyone know if "Trek" still starts January 1st each year? That guy is amazing...

MountainBoy
10-30-2013, 13:30
Yay!!!! We have snow in the mountains of New Hampshire :) Glad to see there are so many other Ice People out there who are looking forawrd to some winter hiking. Hope to see you in February.

Autummyst
10-30-2013, 19:19
Wow, beautiful photos Mountainboy :)

MountainBoy
10-31-2013, 14:09
Thanks!!! These pics were taken in the mountains just above Crawford Notch in NH last weekend. Can't wait until winter. Just wish I could justify bringing my ice ax to Georgia next Feb :) Best of luck to you in your preparations.

NigeB
10-31-2013, 14:57
Hi Malto,

I agree... we are going to use the zlite for the whole hike and we might get this to supplement for the colder months (use both of them):

Anyone try this out?
Hi there, used one of these in winter and would def have a mat underneath,
christine and I are leavin in feb so may catch you on the trail , agree with your sentiments of goin early..

Sheriff Cougar
11-01-2013, 23:47
Hey Poedog. Loved the link!! Thanks for sharing.

GoodGerman
11-02-2013, 08:25
55°F in my appartment and pretty short days already. Its getting there :)

Rhose
11-03-2013, 05:56
Kinda glad I'm not the only one who wants to start early and enjoy the winter beauty. Plan on taking my first steps NoBo on Feb.1.

Autummyst
11-03-2013, 12:06
Kinda glad I'm not the only one who wants to start early and enjoy the winter beauty. Plan on taking my first steps NoBo on Feb.1.

We are all heading out soon!!! Only 3 months to go :D woohoo!

Rhose
11-03-2013, 18:12
I have a count down on my phone, starting to think it was a bad idea, keep checking it like " hurry up". Feel ya woohoo!

MountainBoy
11-05-2013, 13:54
55°F in my appartment and pretty short days already. Its getting there :)

After noticing that my little bird had been puffing up to twice his normal size and my girlfriend had started to wear a nepalese wool toque and a fleece over her sweater in the house, we just decided to turn on the furnace. Are the 40's really too low for the house?

The plan for me now is to be on the trail Feb 16 but that date seems to be moving up the more time I spend in my cube at work. At this rate, I'll be on the trail in December :) Can't wait!!!!

NigeB
11-05-2013, 14:04
Hi there,
winters just around the corner. We,ve even got snow on our welsh and Scottish mountains...

Autummyst
11-06-2013, 12:36
After noticing that my little bird had been puffing up to twice his normal size and my girlfriend had started to wear a nepalese wool toque and a fleece over her sweater in the house, we just decided to turn on the furnace. Are the 40's really too low for the house?

The plan for me now is to be on the trail Feb 16 but that date seems to be moving up the more time I spend in my cube at work. At this rate, I'll be on the trail in December :) Can't wait!!!!

Ha! MountainBoy, that was hilarious. I've been keeping our apartment at 60 degrees which is a step in the right direction for me. I usually keep it at 70+ in the winter. :eek: We would turn it lower, but are required to keep it at least on 60 per lease mandate. My husband and I are also leaving Feb. 15th or 16th :D

ranger297
11-19-2013, 04:16
Hey Gang,

I plan on stating between 14-16 Feb. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Autummyst
11-20-2013, 22:51
Hey Gang,

I plan on stating between 14-16 Feb. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hi Ranger :) How is your hiking prep going?

ranger297
11-24-2013, 07:44
Its going GREAT!! All my hiking and camping besides growing up has been in the Military. Which equal heavy and bulky and no comfort Items so I feel like a kid in a candy store. I plan on posting what gear I have later in the day. Feel free to give me advice.

CyborgAT
11-24-2013, 12:12
I'm starting February 15th. I will be filming a documentary. Check out my YouTube channel for updates as I hike. Youtube.com/ddodds1990

Autummyst
11-24-2013, 13:19
Its going GREAT!! All my hiking and camping besides growing up has been in the Military. Which equal heavy and bulky and no comfort Items so I feel like a kid in a candy store. I plan on posting what gear I have later in the day. Feel free to give me advice.

That's awesome, Ranger!! We are in the process of tweaking our gear list. We had everything, evaluated it and are now trading pieces here and there for lighter versions while not compromising warmth. Complicated!!! But also fun :)

Autummyst
11-24-2013, 13:20
I'm starting February 15th. I will be filming a documentary. Check out my YouTube channel for updates as I hike. Youtube.com/ddodds1990

Nice Cyborg!! One of the videographers I followed this past year was this guy: http://vimeo.com/horizonlinepictures

How is your pack going? I'm assuming with camera gear, you have it a little trickier than the rest of us.

HikerMom58
11-24-2013, 13:47
Hey there Autummyst... don't know if you already know about this or if you are on FB but here is the link to 2014 class of hikers on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/56380495208/

I wish you all the BEST! Go class of 2014... :sun

icebergslim
11-24-2013, 21:45
Hey everyone, I'll be starting NOBO on January 26th. I'll be trying out my gear setup on a couple of hikes in December in the Adirondacks. Itll definitely be colder than GA, so thatll be a good test. Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail!

Autummyst
11-24-2013, 22:03
Hey there Autummyst... don't know if you already know about this or if you are on FB but here is the link to 2014 class of hikers on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/56380495208/

I wish you all the BEST! Go class of 2014... :sun

Hi HikerMom!! Thanks! I discovered the class on FB only a week ago or so. Now I have many addictions to hold me over until we leave :o About 3 months to go!!! woohoo! :D

Autummyst
11-24-2013, 22:10
Hey everyone, I'll be starting NOBO on January 26th. I'll be trying out my gear setup on a couple of hikes in December in the Adirondacks. Itll definitely be colder than GA, so thatll be a good test. Looking forward to meeting you all on the trail!

Hi Iceberg,

I understand your name now! :) We also live in the northeast, so taking advantage of our cold winters to practice in the mountains too. Here is a good weather guide with regard to shelters in different areas though. It looks like in general, the mountains in Georgia are pretty much as cold as the mountains here. We have a bigger range with a colder lower end for sure, but right now for example, it's 22-37 in Georgia mountains and in NY it's 13-23 in the mountains. So, about a 10 degree difference which certainly matters while we are out there (i.e. having the slighter warmer temps will be awesome of course coming from New England). You may have already known that, but I was surprised to find out the difference wasn't more dramatic. Do you have a blog you'll be keeping up with our on the trail? It'll be interesting to see how you're doing out there before we head out mid feb.

http://sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

:)

icebergslim
11-25-2013, 13:00
Thanks for the link, Autummyst, really useful info and great organization. I had assumed there would be a bigger temp difference, but I guess now I know better.

I wasn't planning on keeping a blog along the way, but I'll be sure to make a post here after a week or two to let everyone know how the conditions are.

Autummyst
11-26-2013, 00:22
Thanks for the link, Autummyst, really useful info and great organization. I had assumed there would be a bigger temp difference, but I guess now I know better.

I wasn't planning on keeping a blog along the way, but I'll be sure to make a post here after a week or two to let everyone know how the conditions are.

Awesome!! Hopefully we'll see you out there, although you'll have a two week head start! I'm sure we'll find you in the registries :) Good luck with the rest of your prep! :banana

_ciel
11-29-2013, 13:30
It's looking like we may do one final shakedown hike in Mid-January to prepare for leaving Feb. 15! Anyone going to be on the trail then? Hopefully the weather cooperates (i.e. no blizzards). In other news, it's about 50 degrees here in FL and I am freezing! I wish I could wear all of my performance gear to work!

George
11-30-2013, 15:41
It's looking like we may do one final shakedown hike in Mid-January to prepare for leaving Feb. 15! Anyone going to be on the trail then? Hopefully the weather cooperates (i.e. no blizzards). In other news, it's about 50 degrees here in FL and I am freezing! I wish I could wear all of my performance gear to work!

the spreadsheet is very difficult to find :

http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2014thruhikers

from that, (and the fact that there are usually 2 people on the trail that do not show on these lists for every one that does), there will be a mini "bubble" around Feb 14 - 17, possibly 20 will start - so possibly 15 will still be going north of the smokies, but strung out over 10 days- definitely not a scenario of full shelters, but there will be human life to associate with - it will be similar to the density encountered by SOBO's when they are not in the NOBO pack

Derf
11-30-2013, 22:27
We will be starting the 14th it does look like there is a nice little bubble starting that weekend.

_ciel
12-01-2013, 18:05
the spreadsheet is very difficult to find :

http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2014thruhikers

from that, (and the fact that there are usually 2 people on the trail that do not show on these lists for every one that does), there will be a mini "bubble" around Feb 14 - 17, possibly 20 will start - so possibly 15 will still be going north of the smokies, but strung out over 10 days- definitely not a scenario of full shelters, but there will be human life to associate with - it will be similar to the density encountered by SOBO's when they are not in the NOBO pack

I guess I should have been a bit more clear: I meant "Is anyone going to be on the trail in Mid-January?"
Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet though. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Autummyst
12-02-2013, 00:29
I guess I should have been a bit more clear: I meant "Is anyone going to be on the trail in Mid-January?"
Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet though. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Hi Ciel :) We only have 2 and 1/2 months to go!! Holy &%$# :o We are hoping to get out on the trail around that time too, but it would be in the CT/MA region. How are you guys feeling after your last shakedown? I saw your updated blog post, it looks like you got a lot out of that experience.

smoothsailin
12-03-2013, 20:18
I went through the early March/April Snowmegadon last year. It started snowing on March 12. We had waist deep sections and knee deep all the way up into Roan. If you got the right gear, it's fine, if not, well you might end up shopping some. Even though I was an experienced hiker, I still came up short. I picked up a new 10 deg sleeping bag in Gatlinburg. I had a 32+liner..not enough to get good sleep. I had my pants freeze to my legs crossing the humps in icey rain. I wish I had bought some micro-spikes or yak-traks to aid on ice walking. Crossing the Roan High Knob was ridiculous due to it being completely solid ice with a mine field of shoe holes for miles. Hiking on miles of frozen rocks and steep trails is difficult to say the least. I bought some seal skin socks in Hot Springs because my feet were always in ice water. This year I'll add a SOL emer trarp/sack to my winter box. That thing was great. I borrowed one last year and it got me through a few nights with no sleeping bag. ( don't ask). On other hikes, I've had to get up and either get moving or build a fire to get warm due to 'unexpected' (lol) weather. Don't be afraid to carry some extra gear especially fuel. Have fun. I love being on the trail in the winter. I'm going SOBO this year so I'm sure I'll catch some cold weather at the end.

GoodGerman
12-04-2013, 08:53
I went through the early March/April Snowmegadon last year. It started snowing on March 12. We had waist deep sections and knee deep all the way up into Roan. If you got the right gear, it's fine, if not, well you might end up shopping some. Even though I was an experienced hiker, I still came up short. I picked up a new 10 deg sleeping bag in Gatlinburg. I had a 32+liner..not enough to get good sleep. I had my pants freeze to my legs crossing the humps in icey rain. I wish I had bought some micro-spikes or yak-traks to aid on ice walking. Crossing the Roan High Knob was ridiculous due to it being completely solid ice with a mine field of shoe holes for miles. Hiking on miles of frozen rocks and steep trails is difficult to say the least. I bought some seal skin socks in Hot Springs because my feet were always in ice water. This year I'll add a SOL emer trarp/sack to my winter box. That thing was great. I borrowed one last year and it got me through a few nights with no sleeping bag. ( don't ask). On other hikes, I've had to get up and either get moving or build a fire to get warm due to 'unexpected' (lol) weather. Don't be afraid to carry some extra gear especially fuel. Have fun. I love being on the trail in the winter. I'm going SOBO this year so I'm sure I'll catch some cold weather at the end.

Great insights.
+1 on the highlighted parts :)

Even though I will only hike with ~10 lbs baseweight during 3 seasons in Germany, I ended up with a 15 lbs baseweight for my early februar thru.
Sure that's a lot of weight. But in winter there is no messing around with the rain and the cold. :)

Thin liner socks + seam sealed neoprene socks is what I use in winter too. Not a big fan of goretex/leather boots.
Good advice on the yak tracks. Might pick a pair up for the Smokies.

jeffmeh
12-04-2013, 15:57
The Yak Trax have a reputation for falling apart with trail use. Katoohla Microspikes get much better reviews. I have the Microspikes, and have found them to work quite well.

CyborgAT
12-04-2013, 18:42
My friend and I are starting February 15th

nickgann
12-07-2013, 21:22
Also nervous, but will be doing a hike starting Mid Jan...Just gotta get tax stuff handled for the business before time to go!

nickgann
12-07-2013, 21:23
I am also a microspikes fan.

GoodGerman
12-12-2013, 11:56
Checked the Weather Outlook for Winter 2013/2014..

Looks like we are in for a pretty cold start:

http://www.weatherworksinc.com/winter-outlook-2013-14
http://weatheradvance.com/preliminary-winter-2013-2014-winter-outlook/

"Best potential for significant or widespread snowstorm / nor'easter will exist from late January through most of February"
"I do believe it will be a wetter than average year in the east, and perhaps even in the pacific northwest."

I might have to bring a pair of down socks too. :)

Autummyst
12-13-2013, 03:24
Checked the Weather Outlook for Winter 2013/2014..

Looks like we are in for a pretty cold start:

http://www.weatherworksinc.com/winter-outlook-2013-14
http://weatheradvance.com/preliminary-winter-2013-2014-winter-outlook/

"Best potential for significant or widespread snowstorm / nor'easter will exist from late January through most of February"
"I do believe it will be a wetter than average year in the east, and perhaps even in the pacific northwest."

I might have to bring a pair of down socks too. :)

Those articles are outdated in the weather world (from october). Here's a really good site that has raw data right from the national weather service and is updated regularly. According to this, the east coast will have a very average winter. Although, I suppose it's what your used to as well. I live in the northeast, so an average winter to me is a couple of bad snowstorms. It's the midwest that looks to be taking the brunt of winter this year and has so far proven to be true. I check it every couple of weeks or so to stay updated.

3 month outlook: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

And you can choose which timeframe to examine here. The farther out you go time wise, the less accurate.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/

MountainBoy
12-13-2013, 13:26
When it gets slippy, it is really amazing how much better time you can make with Microspikes. The main problems that I've had are that the chains come apart (easy to fix with pliers), they dull pretty quickly when going over mixed terrain, and the rubber bits are somewhat fragile (but I seem to be the only one to have this problem). Kahtoola, however, really stands behind these and have replaced them twice for me :) This year I'm using Hillsounds though which are a little heavier but more robust, more secure, with much more aggressive steel spikes.

jtap0204
01-03-2014, 16:29
My Fiance' and I will be starting Feb 13th/14th.

Gear wise, I'm rockin...
a silk t-shirt
patagonia cap 4 base layer top
patagonia cap 4 base layer bottom
sierra designs down jacket
patagonia tort shell rain jacket.
wool socks
glove liners/gloves
Sierra designs 0 degree bag

I'm not sure if gators are neccesary or not. If you have any advice please let me know.

Derf
01-03-2014, 16:44
My Fiance' and I will be starting Feb 13th/14th.

Gear wise, I'm rockin...
a silk t-shirt
patagonia cap 4 base layer top
patagonia cap 4 base layer bottom
sierra designs down jacket
patagonia tort shell rain jacket.
wool socks
glove liners/gloves
Sierra designs 0 degree bag

I'm not sure if gators are necessary or not. If you have any advice please let me know.

My wife and I are starting the Feb. 14th. See you out there.......

MountainBoy
01-04-2014, 11:55
I've been hiking with my short gaitors(OR RockyMountain Mountain) over my trailrunners all over New England thiswinter throughanything up to thigh deep snow andit's been working out great keeping the snow out of my pants andshoes. Forme,it's definitely worth the extra 4.8oz to keep my feetwarm anddry. Good luck in your preparations. Hopefullywe will connect. I'm startinga week after you.

jtap0204
01-13-2014, 20:26
I've been hiking with my short gaitors(OR RockyMountain Mountain) over my trailrunners all over New England thiswinter throughanything up to thigh deep snow andit's been working out great keeping the snow out of my pants andshoes. Forme,it's definitely worth the extra 4.8oz to keep my feetwarm anddry. Good luck in your preparations. Hopefullywe will connect. I'm startinga week after you.

I'm sure ill see you out there man.

GoodGerman
01-22-2014, 10:21
Its only 7 days for me.

Feels like waiting in line at the rollercoaster. The ride just happens to be a little longer :)

Autummyst
01-22-2014, 15:41
Its only 7 days for me.

Feels like waiting in line at the rollercoaster. The ride just happens to be a little longer :)

Ha! We are leaving in about 3 weeks and feels the same way! We did a winter shakedown hike recently and all of our gear checks out which was reassuring. I think the hardest part is waking up in the cold and making yourself leave the nice, cozy sleeping bag.

Good luck GoodGerman and hopefully we'll see you out there at some point! :sun

Razor
01-22-2014, 17:32
It will be 2 degrees at Gooch Gap tonight . _about 20 miles in - A good test of winter talents in two or three weeks !

Slo-go'en
01-22-2014, 17:46
It's hard say what tomorrows weather will like, let alone next months, but if things continue the way they have, it's going to be frigg'en cold out there. Good luck.

Heading for another well below zero night here. Sun's just going down and its 1 F out....

GoodGerman
01-22-2014, 18:46
Yeah, I had a look at the weather forecast today. It sure looks like I'm in for a very cold start.
I ended up adding a fleece jacket, microspikes and boiled mittens to my gear list. That messed up my base weight pretty badly though (hauling 19 lbs now).

But hey, it's winter time and I'm going for a walk in the woods :)

bigcranky
01-22-2014, 19:12
19 pounds isn't bad for a winter base load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

George
01-23-2014, 12:18
Yeah, I had a look at the weather forecast today. It sure looks like I'm in for a very cold start.
I ended up adding a fleece jacket, microspikes and boiled mittens to my gear list. That messed up my base weight pretty badly though (hauling 19 lbs now).

But hey, it's winter time and I'm going for a walk in the woods :)

if you are 6' 4" so all your gear has to be extra large/ tall and this 19# is skin out, you are likely on the lean side of cold weather gear - but neals is only 30 miles, hopefully they have your size in stock

GoodGerman
03-06-2014, 22:46
Anyone of the snowbirds around?

I am on mile 404 and only met a handful of nobos so far..

Sent from my Windows Phone

HikerMom58
03-06-2014, 23:13
Anyone of the snowbirds around?

I am on mile 404 and only met a handful of nobos so far..

Sent from my Windows Phone

Keep a lookout for "The Bartender" from PA. He's starting near Adkins VA resuming his SOBO hike in a few days. Also, 2 more SOBO's are around Daleville, apparently. Stay safe! :) You're doing GREAT!