PDA

View Full Version : Mice - Cold Spring Shelter

Wes
08-10-2005, 03:36
This shelter is overrun by mice. I could hardly sleep for all the mouse activity. This is a very old shelter unless it has been renovated since i was last there. i wouldn't recommend spending the night unless you have to. There is a good water source right in front of it though, and it's kind of cool to listen to the water all night.

Turtle2
08-10-2005, 17:23
Where might this mousy shelter be? There are several that might meet this description.

Lilred
08-10-2005, 17:49
Where might this mousy shelter be? There are several that might meet this description.

The thread says Cold Spring Shelter. Isn't that the shelter just before Rufus Morgan? Close to the N.O.C.? It was built by the CCC in the late 30's. A vagrant was living there this last summer.

sparky2009
09-23-2009, 21:44
If it's the one located between Wayah Bald and Wesser Bald, it's still an old shelter. No tables, just a shelf on the side facing the trail. Didn't notice any mice the night I stayed there (9-3-2009) but that may be "the water flowing over the rocks" induced sleep that kept me from doing that. Lots of tenting spots further north along the trail. The whole area seemed to have a damp feel to it even though it hadn't rain in a about 3 days. Didn't take the time to study the map to see why that was.

Rowmin Goat told us to look for "GW 1776" that someone carved on the left side of shelter near the front, toward the bottom. We found it and got pictures. Quite cute.

Marta
09-24-2009, 07:03
There are some really cool (literally) tenting spots on the ridgeline above the shelter. You can even find a a spot with a view of the night sky, which is a novelty in that area.