PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Camera USB charging

ams212001
09-13-2013, 01:31
http://www.amazon.com/GE-DV1-LG-Waterproof-Shockproof-Pocket/dp/B0044DEEJM/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I have been looking for a USB charging waterproof camera and it has taken awhile but I finally found one. I decided that I would keep my phone tucked away as much as possible, for personal reasons, and that I would use a camera to take pictures instead. Unfortunately, most of the cameras require extra cords or an external way of charging the battery, which makes no sense to me for an outdoor "wilderness camera." The technology looks great but too many extras for my taster. I think this camera would be a good compromise, not too fancy, cheap, ok reviews, takes pictures. Hope others find this helpful!

Starchild
09-13-2013, 10:09
Not sure how you get away from extra cords or a external way of recharging the battery, I guess it could have a solar panel build in, though that is not practical giving the size and power requirements.

Looking at the description it appears that it does come with a extra (usb) cord and ac adapter.

I also don't see how a 'wilderness' camera is somehow diminished by using a rechargeable battery. Many hikers carry USB rechargeable devices, this camera seems to qualify as that, many hikers including a way to recharge them while in the woods, this product could get longer run time by using that.

Confused :confused:

jvreeland
09-13-2013, 10:43
I have seen lots of reports of this one (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-1iHS-Waterproof-Digital-Optical/dp/B00803WNOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375280264&sr=8-1&keywords=Olympus+TG-1+iHS) from Olympus do exactly what you want while turning out some fantastic shots. Price is higher (a bit higher actually) but is a much better quality camera.

ams212001
09-13-2013, 15:34
Not sure how you get away from extra cords or a external way of recharging the battery, I guess it could have a solar panel build in, though that is not practical giving the size and power requirements.

Looking at the description it appears that it does come with a extra (usb) cord and ac adapter.

I also don't see how a 'wilderness' camera is somehow diminished by using a rechargeable battery. Many hikers carry USB rechargeable devices, this camera seems to qualify as that, many hikers including a way to recharge them while in the woods, this product could get longer run time by using that.

Confused :confused:

Essentially, you an just plug this into a computer or a usb wall plug in. I am taking my cell phone and that I can just use the usb wall charger. I am not saying the rechargeable battery is an issue with other cameras but that you can not charger them just through a USB port. You have to a specific battery port in order to charge the battery and that requires bringing more cords/ports in order to charge your specific camera. This essentially elimantes that step because USB is a universal simple way to recharge the camera. Hopefully that makes sense.

I was only saying that the extras cords/ports don't really make too much sense on high end outdoor cameras because a person has to carry more in order to power them. Or, they have batteries sent to them. I don't want to worry about a bounce box, but that could change.

You are right that is does come with an extra USB cord and ac adapter. But they are extra for convenience not in order for the camera to charge.

Hopefully this makes the original post less confusing! I am not against the other other cameras just want a simpler way to charge the camera.

ams212001
09-13-2013, 15:36
I have seen lots of reports of this one (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-1iHS-Waterproof-Digital-Optical/dp/B00803WNOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375280264&sr=8-1&keywords=Olympus+TG-1+iHS) from Olympus do exactly what you want while turning out some fantastic shots. Price is higher (a bit higher actually) but is a much better quality camera.

Thank you! I didn't realize you could charge this one via USB! This is about the same price as the Nikon one. Thanks for the heads up.

jvreeland
09-13-2013, 15:43
Glad I could help ams212001!

OzJacko
09-18-2013, 07:33
I carried the Olympus TG1 and thoroughly recommend it.
Pricey but far better optics than most "tough" cameras.
Nuisance value is that the recharge cable not the same as the micro usb cables the phone uses so you have to carry two cables if you have a phone as well.
Both types of cables have the standard usb plug that plugs into the wall socket.
Getting a wall socket that can run two cables at once is a good idea.
DON'T get a solar charger.
Get a battery pack instead and you can charge either the camera and/or phone off it between towns.
Home Depot sell a pretty good one for around $30 that I was able to get about 3 phone recharges off.

ams212001
09-18-2013, 08:50
[QUOTE=OzJacko;1528170]I carried the Olympus TG1 and thoroughly recommend it.
Pricey but far better optics than most "tough" cameras.
Nuisance value is that the recharge cable not the same as the micro usb cables the phone uses so you have to carry two cables if you have a phone as well.
Both types of cables have the standard usb plug that plugs into the wall socket.
Getting a wall socket that can run two cables at once is a good idea.
DON'T get a solar charger.
Get a battery pack instead and you can charge either the camera and/or phone off it between towns.
Home Depot sell a pretty good one for around $30 that I was able to get about 3 phone recharges off.[/QUOT

Thank you! I am pretty close to sold on this camera because of how it charges.

Did you have any issues with yours on the trail?

OzJacko
09-18-2013, 19:43
Did you have any issues with yours on the trail?
The plastic ring around the lens (you unscrew it to fit converter lenses etc) got lost.
Happened to the only other TG1 user I met as well.
Not a problem but affects cosmetic appearance of camera.
TG2 now in stores. Not sure of differences - has same optical zoom which was only feature I was disappointed with.
Quality of image allows a lot of cropping in print stage however.
I kept mine in hipbelt pocket of ULA pack.
Kept a lens cleaner cloth in there as well to regularly wipe lens.