PDA

View Full Version : Not another tent thread

TurboPants
09-13-2013, 15:13
Sorry, I can't help it. I'm seeing too many tent options and it's making my head spin. You can read specs all day long but it doesn't mean much unless you test it in the field. I don't know how much room I need inside. I'm 5'9" 165# so most all of the solo tents should allow me to sit up inside. My big question is how much room do you need aside from your sleep pad and backpack? Some of the solo wedge style tents are pretty narrow. Is it absolutely off limits to keep your pack inside your tent with the food bag? I understand the reasons people don't do it, I'm just trying to factor in how much space I really need inside.

The only big things I would prefer are free standing so I can pitch anywhere, some form of vestibule, and under 3.5#. Here's the list of what I've looked at:

Eureka Spitfire 1-p (45 oz) $130
Light Heart Solo (27 oz) $245
Six Moons Lunar Solo (23 oz) $200

It seems like the Six Moons has a good rep. I know everyone loves MSR and Big Agnes but they aren't in my budget. If I'm overlooking anything I'd love to hear more suggestions... even though my brain already hurts from reading reviews and looking up specs lol.

Symba
09-13-2013, 15:28
depends on type of camping and your level of comfort, see video: http://screen.yahoo.com/flip-side/flip-side-camping-030000523.html

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 15:32
I will not buy hiking shoes online unless I've first tested them out in person. Coming in a distant second on that list are tents. I've already spent so much needless time, energy, and money buying and returning these items that didn't work for me or reselling them at a fraction of the price I paid for them because I didn't do my homework before I bought them. It's taken me the last three yrs to finally narrow down the gear I most often need/desire and get rid of the gear that had been accumulating largely unused.

HooKooDooKu
09-13-2013, 15:37
If you want to be able to keep your pack INSIDE the tent, you need to be looking at 2 person tents.

And I would strongly suggest you follow your own advice. I have discovered that I like tents where you enter from the side, not the head like the Eureka Spitfire. Now I've looked (in catalogs) at teh Spitfire and considered it myself. But it wasn't until I borrowed a friends BA Flycreek that I discovered how much more I like my side entry tents.

One other thing to keep in mind when looking at those tent specifications... the size quoted is usually the extent of the poles that are on the outside of the tent. So if you are looking at the specs for a 2 person rectangular tent, a quoted size of 93"x57", you're only going to have 90"x54" inside the tent, and the floor might be even smaller if the edges of the floor are curved.

If you want to check into a small 2-person tent, my I suggest you look at the Kelty Salida?
I've loved the Kelty tents I've owned so far.
The Salida has good reviews.
Its only $150 @ campmor
Its a 2 person tent (so a little above your target weigth)
Side entry.
However, do note that the quoted size of 88"x55" in some places doesn't account for the fact the floor is shaped like a trapezoid, not a rectangle (so it's shorter side is only 45" wide).

Symba
09-13-2013, 15:58
If you want to check into a small 2-person tent, my I suggest you look at the Kelty Salida?
I've loved the Kelty tents I've owned so far.
The Salida has good reviews.
Its only $150 @ campmor
Its a 2 person tent (so a little above your target weigth)
Side entry.
However, do note that the quoted size of 88"x55" in some places doesn't account for the fact the floor is shaped like a trapezoid, not a rectangle (so it's shorter side is only 45" wide).[/QUOTE]
On a more focused note: I've had both front and side entry tents. Being a solo hiker my preference is a side entry two person tent. I have always kept all my stuff in my tent when tenting. I like to be able to sit up and pee into my Gatorade bottle too; so the discontinued model Kelty Teton 2 I have is perfect for me. It isn't too heavy and has a two pole freestanding set up if you can find this model or a newer Kelty renamed tent. I used campmore.com for discontinued last year models of stuff. I never buy the best and newest, but then again I was brought up on hand me downs from my older sibling :/

Slo-go'en
09-13-2013, 15:59
Every tent design has some trade offs. Most, if not all tent spec's will show you the foot print. One could take an old sheet and draw the foot print on the sheet to give you an idea of how much area you have. Use different color markers to draw the foot print outline for different tents to compare. This doesn't tell you what the side walls will do, but will give you an idea.

Basically, any UL solo tent will be a bit cramped inside. There will be enough room for you, but not much else. Therefore, most of us keep our packs and odds and ends we don't need outside, typically hung on a tree near-by.

The MSD Lunar Solo has a reasonable amount of room inside and vestibule of about equal size. The problem I had with that tent was my feet or head would touch the sides of the tent and that would wick water when it rained. Also, I couldn't sit up without rubbing my head against the wall. It was also difficult to keep the sides from sagging when it was wet, which made the problem worse.

I used the new Skyscape Trekker this year and was pleased with it's design. I could sit up and put on a shirt without rubbing against any of the walls, it was less prone to sagging and I had a bit more clearance for my feet and head. There was however, a little less room for other stuff inside. From this experiance, I definately think an A frame style tent is better than the conical or pyramid shaped tent.

Symba
09-13-2013, 16:08
I really need to spell check and fix my posts. The Salida looks like a nice tent. www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 16:20
The MSD Lunar Solo...

I read that real fast and said WHAT? a new gear company I've never heard of or perhaps he meant MSR. But then MSR doesn't make a Lunar Solo. OHH, he misspelled SMD.

scope
09-13-2013, 16:45
My anecdotal note is this... I went through a similar redux of my tent equipment and my head was spinning because while their were lots of great options (even more now), all had some sort of compromise. In other words, there was no sub 3lb two-man double-wall tent that cost less than $300. The one person tents had space compromises I wasn't willing to take on.

In the midst of the long search, an REI guy suggested a hammock. I had a cursory knowledge of hammocks and blew him off as it just wasn't what I was looking for. Not too long after that, I had a miserably hot night on top of a 4000' mountain - where I had gone to beat the heat - and right then and there decided to give the hammock a try. I'm a hanger now, haven't looked back.

TurboPants
09-13-2013, 16:50
I've looked at the Kelty Salida as well, but the weight scared me off. My pack weight is a tad over 31# fully loaded if I use a tent that weighs ~2LB. Someone really needs to start making a 2 pole UL dome tent for under 300. They would sell like hotcakes. No tent can be put up faster or in more places, but the ones you find are all 3.5-4LB. Kinda fat on the tent side of things.

Scope, I have a bad neck and back. I just can't get my body comfortable in a hammock. I'm already having to use a special kind of pillow, which is more weight. The one thing that makes me like hammocks though, is that they are out of the mud after it pours all night long! If I weren't a 32 yr old trapped in a 50 yr old's body I'd be a hanger as well.

Drybones
09-13-2013, 17:35
I will not buy hiking shoes online unless I've first tested them out in person. Coming in a distant second on that list are tents. I've already spent so much needless time, energy, and money buying and returning these items that didn't work for me or reselling them at a fraction of the price I paid for them because I didn't do my homework before I bought them. It's taken me the last three yrs to finally narrow down the gear I most often need/desire and get rid of the gear that had been accumulating largely unused.

Same here...unfortunately...that tent is like that pair of shoes, they can feel great in the store but you dont know how they'll work until you wear them at least a full day. If I had all the money I've pi**ed away on gear that didn't work, or I found better, I could retire....oh...wait...I am retired.

bangorme
09-13-2013, 17:46
And I would strongly suggest you follow your own advice. I have discovered that I like tents where you enter from the side, not the head like the Eureka Spitfire...

Only thing I don't like about my side entry LLBean Microlight is the side entry. When it's pouring out I can't figure out a way to get in and out without the rain getting into my tent. My front entry, older, Microlight didn't have that problem so much.

Drybones
09-13-2013, 17:47
Of the three tents you mention, I have experience with only with the Eureka Spitfire. I believe I paid about $90 for mine, you can catch them on sale from time to time. IMO, it's a great starter tent and I'd have no problem doing a thru with it if on a budget, from the tents I've used, I'd say it's the best buy out there, not the best by any means, but the best buy. I started out with a 6 lb 2-person tent from Academy, then the Spitfire 1 to save weight but I was hiking with a large dog and it got crowded so I bought a Tarptent Double Rainbow, which is okay but I probably would not buy it again, then bought an REI Quarterdome which is much too small for me, then got a Tarptent Notch for a thru attempt and really love it. The Spitfire is okay if you're on a budget but for me the Notch just feels like home, hard to explain, just seems to "fit", it may be because of the number of nights I've spent in it and how I've learned to use it.

quasarr
09-13-2013, 18:00
The only big things I would prefer are free standing so I can pitch anywhere, some form of vestibule, and under 3.5#. Here's the list of what I've looked at:

Eureka Spitfire 1-p (45 oz) $130
Light Heart Solo (27 oz) $245
Six Moons Lunar Solo (23 oz) $200

It seems like the Six Moons has a good rep. I know everyone loves MSR and Big Agnes but they aren't in my budget. If I'm overlooking anything I'd love to hear more suggestions... even though my brain already hurts from reading reviews and looking up specs lol.

I think you should consider a trekking pole supported tent. You really can set them up anywhere, in the same amount of time it takes to pitch a freestanding tent. You can get a lot more room for less weight.

HooKooDooKu
09-13-2013, 18:03
Only thing I don't like about my side entry LLBean Microlight is the side entry. When it's pouring out I can't figure out a way to get in and out without the rain getting into my tent. My front entry, older, Microlight didn't have that problem so much.
Rain/water getting in your tent isn't going to be a function of side/front entry. It's going to depend upon the overall design of the tent and rainfly.

Two examples:
1. I have a BA Lynx Pass with a single side entry that has a vertical wall. Combined with a double-zip vestibule flap, there's no reason for you to get rain in your tent as you get in and out.
2. I have a brother with a front entry tent. He detests the fact that you can not open its wet rainfly without water dripping in the tent.

nastynate
09-13-2013, 18:28
The lightheart tents have a lot of room for their size, lots of mesh, and are pretty dang light. I have the solong6. Plenty of room for me and my gear. The vestibules are big enough for a pack and shoes. Very sturdy setup.

TurboPants
09-13-2013, 18:33
Drybones, I don't want a tent that requires use an unreliable trekking pole. I've yet to meet a pole I didn't bend/break. For that reason I don't use them. It's caused injury for me even, so none for me thanks. I mean no disrespect I just don't like them. If I need a walking stick I'll use what nature provides. If that breaks I'll get get another for free.

I do tend to agree that the side entry is slightly easier to get in and out. The Trekker is about the same weight as the Lunar Solo. Wish I could actually see these in person. Guess I'll try doing some more digging on reviews. I see a lot of good mentioned about six moons though.

q-tip
09-14-2013, 08:32
TT Contrail-I get everything inside including me, 28 oz complete-$200-I have six tents and this is the best for long distance backpacking for me.

lostagain
09-14-2013, 23:25
I own and have used the Spitfire 1 and it works fine for me. I'm 6' 1" and it holds me + a smallish (~30L) pack inside. I can sit up in it and it doesn't weigh anywhere near 45oz. I weighed it when I first got it, while it was still in the stuff sack and it tipped my scale at 39 oz. I promptly stored the stuff sacks, re-purposed the tie out lines and replaced the stakes with titanium ones and the weight now is down to 30oz. That also includes a tyvek ground sheet. The others are good tents too. I really don't see how you can go wrong with any of the choices you've looked at. You just need to decide how much you want to spend. BTW, the Spitfire is not freestanding. You have to stake out the front and back. Those are the only stakes you need unless you run into really windy weather. And you may need two others to stake out the fly to avoid nighttime condensation.

TurboPants
09-15-2013, 08:58
I guess I need to read more about these tarp tents because so many people love the contrail.

lostagain, I think I used the 2-p Spitfire weight because I had originally looked at that one thinking the 1p was too small. Thanks for chiming in to give me more details. Have you done a long distance trek with the spitfire? Eureka is kind of rare on the trail so I've not encountered anyone using it long term so I was scared to just assume this would hold up for 2200 miles or more.

Grunt
09-15-2013, 22:31
I'm in love with Imogene... check out Golite's tents. I bought their 2 person Imogene as an upgrade from a Coleman Exponent. The Imogene is a 2 person that weighs 2lb 6oz and is free standing.... easy to setup... tons of room... great vestibule... really, look at the room it has compared to those you've mentioned. I'm 6"1 and 225 lbs and keep almost all my gear in the tent with me.

ChinMusic
09-15-2013, 22:44
If you want to be able to keep your pack INSIDE the tent, you need to be looking at 2 person tents.
Totally untrue.

I have a LH Solo and have room to spare with ALL my gear and my dog in the tent.

Magic_Rat
09-16-2013, 18:05
I have the SMD Lunar Solo, am a big guy, and have no problems whatsoever fitting all my gear inside. The only thing I keep outside in the vestibule are my shoes. I use a 3/4 length foam sleeping pad and put my empty pack under my feet for insulation. I always guy out the head side which helps with headroom/sitting up/getting damp from condensation.

steve0423
09-16-2013, 20:35
+1 for the LH Solo
carried the awning version in cuben fiber for 5 months this year...
I have an acute dislike for sleeping in shelters, (mainly just a really light sleeper), so I spent a LOT of time in my tent and it never let me down. plenty of room for me and pack, etc. pitched it in snow, ice, high wind, heavy rain, temps down to -10 degree wind chills, (Feb start), pitched it on tent platforms a half dozen times, (including in the Whites during a HEAVY downpour on the 4th of July). Only problem is figuring out a reason to buy another one, (leading option is a duo for the wife and I)
Judy will sell you poles for it if you don't want to do trekking poles, (but I saw a guy caring the same tent in silnylon jam a stick in the end of his broken trekking pole to get by for a few days until he got to an outfitter)
Bottom line...
I used it a LOT...
It never let me down...
I'm a big fan...
I'd even buy the T-shirt

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 20:49
+1 for the LH Solo
carried the awning version in cuben fiber for 5 months this year...
I have an acute dislike for sleeping in shelters, (mainly just a really light sleeper), so I spent a LOT of time in my tent and it never let me down. plenty of room for me and pack, etc. pitched it in snow, ice, high wind, heavy rain, temps down to -10 degree wind chills, (Feb start), pitched it on tent platforms a half dozen times, (including in the Whites during a HEAVY downpour on the 4th of July). Only problem is figuring out a reason to buy another one, (leading option is a duo for the wife and I)
Judy will sell you poles for it if you don't want to do trekking poles, (but I saw a guy caring the same tent in silnylon jam a stick in the end of his broken trekking pole to get by for a few days until he got to an outfitter)
Bottom line...
I used it a LOT...
It never let me down...
I'm a big fan...
I'd even buy the T-shirt
i just bought the silnylon solong6 and used it last week in maine. t storms every night with gusty winds, me and my gear stayed dry.
even set it up on a platform one night pretty easily as well.sets up and breaks down fast.
i may need to buy the t shirt too

bfayer
09-16-2013, 21:47
Drybones, I don't want a tent that requires use an unreliable trekking pole. I've yet to meet a pole I didn't bend/break. For that reason I don't use them. It's caused injury for me even, so none for me thanks. I mean no disrespect I just don't like them. If I need a walking stick I'll use what nature provides. If that breaks I'll get get another for free.

I do tend to agree that the side entry is slightly easier to get in and out. The Trekker is about the same weight as the Lunar Solo. Wish I could actually see these in person. Guess I'll try doing some more digging on reviews. I see a lot of good mentioned about six moons though.

You do know that no tent requires you to use hiking poles, and all the companies that sell tents that can use hiking poles also sell tent poles? In most cases they are still lighter than other tents of equal size.

I'm just pointing out that no one should overlook a otherwise great tent because they don't like hiking poles.

bfayer
09-16-2013, 21:54
i just bought the silnylon solong6 and used it last week in maine. t storms every night with gusty winds, me and my gear stayed dry.
even set it up on a platform one night pretty easily as well.sets up and breaks down fast.

I love my Solong 6.

bangorme
09-16-2013, 22:25

I'd love to see a picture of that set up on a platform.

bangorme
09-16-2013, 22:35

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 22:54
even had the awning pole up before it started to rain again. i dont have a picture but i was able to get the sides tight by setting it up on the diagonal using titanium stakes wedged into the cracks. the tricky part was tying out the awning part.i saw where i could have made some improvements in the morning, but it poured all night and i had it tight enough to keep me plenty dry.it was only the 6th time i had set it up since i got it, and still i was done in just a few minutes.it would have taken me longer to tie out my flycreek2 that its replaced.
im happy.

Old Hiker
09-17-2013, 07:07
You do know that no tent requires you to use hiking poles, and all the companies that sell tents that can use hiking poles also sell tent poles? In most cases they are still lighter than other tents of equal size.

I'm just pointing out that no one should overlook a otherwise great tent because they don't like hiking poles.

I usually use a hoe handle (no blade - DON'T start !!) and a natural wood staff for hiking, so I bought the tent poles from LightHeart Gear for my SoLong 6. They work great and seem to be more robust than anything else I've seen.

That being said: I saw a pair of BD Trekking poles for $29 on Steep and Cheap and got them. They work great with my SoLong as well. It'll take some practice to trust the poles instead of my staves on my next attempt.

Shameless plug with a bump and drop: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98190-FS-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6

steve0423
09-17-2013, 07:39

walked with a guy for awhile in NH and ME that carried a slong 6 and really liked it...
(never figured out why as he was only 5'7' and didn't hike with a dog or have a ton of stuff, etc.)
he pitched it on a platform during the same downpour in the Whites. the way the corners stake out made it a pain in the buns but he got it done and stayed dry.
Once you do it a time or two the LH solo is easy to pitch on a platform going diagonally from eye bolt to eye bolt for the ends of the tent and using a couple rocks to hold the fly/awning away from the tent as necessary