PDA

View Full Version : Mental Toughness for a thru hike

Malto
09-13-2013, 20:25
I just received news today that son will be attending Ranger school starting in November. (Nothing like N Ga. Mountains in December.) As I was reading some information about the school I came across a page talking about developing mental toughness to make it through Ranger School. As I was reading it the words sounded very familiar and much of it also applies to a thru hike, especially break the insurmountable task down to digestible chunks. Here's a link to the page, it might be helpful to those about to take their first thru hike. http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Building%20Mental%20Toughness%20for%20Ranger%20Sch ool.pdf

Lone Wolf
09-13-2013, 20:31
apples. oranges. the AT ain't that tough physically

Malto
09-13-2013, 20:42
apples. oranges. the AT ain't that tough physically

Since the AT has about a 25% success rate and Ranger school has about 50% I would say that a thru hike, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEMPT it, is every bit as mentally tough. I believe most would say that the AT is physically tough but wasn't the point of the thread.

johnnybgood
09-13-2013, 20:48
It does take mental perseverance though. When the novelty wears thin, the trail sends many home.

Just Bill
09-13-2013, 20:52
Also not the point of the thread- but best of luck to your son. Best of luck to you biting your nails at home, while I'm sure you're proud, it's gotta be tough. Other than the group dynamics mentioned- this is an excellent comparison. Seemed like most of the advice had the same mental focus required. I agree the average ranger is much more physically fit than the average hiker, but the isolation of a hike is a fair trade imo. 35 pound pack for six miles a week- we got them beat

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 20:54
I get through, AND more happily enjoy, my thru-hikes by chunking it down not into states, days, or between resupplies but into each moment. Before I know it the accumulation of moments turn into hrs, days, wks, months, thru-hikes, yrs, etc. For example, I tried to visualize, intensely emotionally feel, have the kind of thoughts, exhibit the physiology, etc all that I would be experiencing once I was atop Mt K on my AT NOBO thru-hike in each moment before I was actually there. It energized me, got endorphins flowing, kept me in a right frame of mind, assisted me in not getting bored, kept things fresh on a daily basis, etc. It helped me to enjoy the journey AND the destination at the same time on a continuing moment by moment basis. This way I didn't have to wait until I got to Mt K to experience what it would be like once I physically got there. It kept me consistently more focused on a moment to moment basis too. It kept me from getting overwhelmed with the process. It kept me from looking at the grand goal of completing the thru-hike only in terms of me finally being atop that sign on Mt K. It also kept me from rushing through my thru-hike. Long distance hiking with this mentality or philosophy also keeps me from chasing the next adventure just so that I can top the last one. It makes each one of my thru-hikes more meaningful and having a deeper or more lasting quality.

Datto
09-13-2013, 21:32
I have the greatest admiration for people who show up to start an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Think of those who wish but never show up.

Showing up is, by far, the biggest step -- it separates the wishers from the do-ers. It separates the thinkers from those who take action and do.

Datto

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 21:33
Since the AT has about a 25% success rate and Ranger school has about 50% I would say that a thru hike, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEMPT it, is every bit as mentally tough. I believe most would say that the AT is physically tough but wasn't the point of the thread.

I think the AT wanna be a thru-hiker completion rate is a bit lower than that. IMO, the Ranger programs have a higher level of success rate because they get to pre qualify cadets who apply into the program so they are able to weed some out who are at a higher risk of non completion AND the Ranger program has a more structured support team that AT hikers personally lack. I think it's a bit more of an independent accomplishment to complete an AT thru-hike. I wouldn't disagree with you on the likeness of each being equally mentally tough. Once you attain a certain level of mental toughness(for lack of a better phrase) it gets easier on successive completed thru-hikes. It's a matter of conditioning the mind in a way in which you want it to go and ridding yourself of thoughts and thought processes(as well as other self defeating habits) that don't support the attainment of your goals. This can work in the oppsite direction too conditioning one's thoughts and behvior to adopt a quitter's mentality. Premier or champion athletes understand this.

Love the quotes by Muhammed Ali.

“Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

“If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.”

“Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong.”

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 21:36
Directing and controlling my mind is a big part of controlling and directing my state(of being). That affects my actions and that affects my destiny.

snifur
09-13-2013, 21:39
The two are not even remotely comparable. The AT is mind numbingly the same day in and day out. For the most part everyday a hiker knows what is going to happen and what is expected. For you folks that have not completed the AT AND NOT any specialized and advanced training in the military please do not try to compare the two as similar in anyway. I would venture to say that of the 25% that have completed the AT only about 5% of those may have the mental toughness to complete specific military schools comparable to the Rangers. My specific military training and service required significantly more mental toughness than my AT thru-hike. Most hikers are bunch of weenies that complain and moan about everything and expect handouts at every road crossing south of Virginia. Then they feel enlightened with a sense of achievement which qualifies them with bragging rights that no one outside of WBland cares about. The medals I earned through personal sacrifices in the military far outweigh the pin and certificate the ATC sent me. Please do not make claims that the two are even remotely similar. They are not.

snifur
09-13-2013, 21:44
I agree the average ranger is much more physically fit than the average hiker, but the isolation of a hike is a fair trade imo. 35 pound pack for six miles a week- we got them beat

There is way more than what you read. You do not have a clue about what it takes...

Datto
09-13-2013, 21:50
A thru-hike of the AT may be more a test of adaptability than necessarily a test of rote toughness. It is tough, yes, but tough people don't necessarily finish a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. What really matters a great deal is the ability to enjoy the challenges an AT thru-hike presents and adapt accordingly.

For example: If you had all the money in the world, you could conceivable complete a thru-hike of the AT. However, most people do not have the luxury of unlimited funds so you'd need to complete an AT thru-hike with certain boundaries.

And there-in, lies the greatest challenges to completing an AT thru-hike.

Heck, you can plot my own thru-hike mileage on a chart and see that pretty much anyone -- yes everyone -- could do that mileage I did on my AT thru-hike. It's not all that difficult for someone to complete what I did on a data comparison viewpoint. When I think back on it, laughingly in some respects.

Now -- do that same challenge in the rain and snow and terrain and pain.

That is what makes an AT thru-hike so much of a challenge.

It's not so much the measurable mileage -- it's the knowing of that mileage and still keep persevering through all the obstacles ahead.

And there-in lies the toughness of enduring and yes, enjoying the challenge along the way.

That's the key part -- enjoying it. Makes the challenge so much more fun.

Datto

Malto
09-13-2013, 21:56
The two are not even remotely comparable. The AT is mind numbingly the same day in and day out. For the most part everyday a hiker knows what is going to happen and what is expected. For you folks that have not completed the AT AND NOT any specialized and advanced training in the military please do not try to compare the two as similar in anyway. I would venture to say that of the 25% that have completed the AT only about 5% of those may have the mental toughness to complete specific military schools comparable to the Rangers. My specific military training and service required significantly more mental toughness than my AT thru-hike. Most hikers are bunch of weenies that complain and moan about everything and expect handouts at every road crossing south of Virginia. Then they feel enlightened with a sense of achievement which qualifies them with bragging rights that no one outside of WBland cares about. The medals I earned through personal sacrifices in the military far outweigh the pin and certificate the ATC sent me. Please do not make claims that the two are even remotely similar. They are not.

Calm down a bit. If you read my post I specifically capitalized the words FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEMPT it to specifically NOT to suggest or compare the two activities relative to each other. I doubt anyone would seriously suggest that a walk down a trail is even remotely as intense as the 61 days of Ranger school or any other elite military training. But you are being a bit elitist if you don't see any similarities between the mental component of the both activities and the ways to combat the mental component. The advice that was given on the original link could be reworded for hiking and 90% of it would apply.

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 22:15
Snifur, not arguing with you but let me ask, did you do all/most of your advanced military training before or after your AT thru-hike? If you completed or did some(most?) of the military training before the thru-hike would it be fair to say that training might have made the thru-hike mentally less challenging and possibly jade your opinion of how mentally tough a thru-hike can be?

Just Bill
09-13-2013, 22:20
I forgot the right emoticon again...

Malto
09-13-2013, 22:26
I forgot the right emoticon again...

Thats alright, I saw it when I read it. :)

MuddyWaters
09-13-2013, 23:44
I think a lot of would-be hikers just want to go home when they realize its not easy and "fun", its actually work.
Makes perfect sense to me.

What I really just dont understand, is why so many have to spend year of planning, and thousands of dollars in gear and transportation cost, to figure that out.

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 23:58
I think there's a lot of impetus for fighting forces, especially elite military groups, to be part of a team of the best of the best to hold themselves to the highest standards and to honor a calling that gives great reward at some level. Can't say this is typically true for most thru-hikers. It's easier to quit and go home for many and then come on sites like this and say they quit because they were hurt, bored, it wasn't fun anymore, etc. Military is a real, raw, big boys(and girls) club in your face and doesn't so easily let one get away with BS lame arse excuses for quitting or failure. Stakes are typically off the chart higher for military compared to most thru-hiking conditions.

Lone Wolf
09-14-2013, 04:27

have you been in the military or thru-hiked?

Malto
09-14-2013, 07:50

What I have or haven't done is completely irrelevant to the point of this thread. But to answer your questions.....Yes and Yes. This is the second time you have asked me whether I have ever thru hiked.
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=44d9e13f165083322ce2b68ca35493 e7&entry_id=20018
So does this qualify me to quote statistics that were provided from both the Ranger school and the ATC?

HikerMom58
09-14-2013, 07:56
What I have or haven't done is completely irrelevant to the point of this thread. But to answer your questions.....Yes and Yes. This is the second time you have asked me whether I have ever thru hiked.
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=44d9e13f165083322ce2b68ca35493 e7&entry_id=20018
So does this qualify me to quote statistics that were provided from both the Ranger school and the ATC?

Of course, you are Malto. Everyone should know who you are... :D I'm tellin ya, I need some of that speedy drink. ;) Congrats on ur son starting Ranger school!! Awesome!!

q-tip
09-14-2013, 08:14
Best of luck to your son, he must be a very special man indeed even to be chosen for Ranger School. It is a great sacrifice and a great honor to server our country.

4shot
09-15-2013, 21:09
. I doubt anyone would seriously suggest that a walk down a trail is even remotely as intense as the 61 days of Ranger school or any other elite military training. But you are being a bit elitist if you don't see any similarities between the mental component of the both activities and the ways to combat the mental component.
the shorter the test, the more likely one can gut it out. and the AT is pretty easy to quit while I am sure it's not easy to quit Ranger school. Those two things, along with the prescreening, account for the higher % success rate in ranger school vis-à-vis the AT. OTOH, being a thru hiker means that once you are done, the game's over. Getting out of ranger school means the $^!# may have just begun to hit the fan. best wishes to you and your son.

double d
09-15-2013, 22:26
I agree, tough is still tough and hiking six months over 2,170 is hard work. LW gives about 1 nano second thought to anything he writes.

ChinMusic
09-15-2013, 22:38
He won't say it but I will. Malto could hike circles around you.

ChinMusic
09-15-2013, 22:39
I agree, tough is still tough and hiking six months over 2,170 is hard work. LW gives about 1 nano second thought to anything he writes.
This .......

Lone Wolf
09-16-2013, 00:06
He won't say it but I will. Malto could hike circles around you.

well that may or may not be true but walkin' on a trail for 6 months doesn't compare to elite military training. the AT is a vacation. walk a few days, take a day or 2 off. slackpack a few days while stayin' in town eatin' and drinkin'. no big deal

double d
09-16-2013, 00:25
well that may or may not be true but walkin' on a trail for 6 months doesn't compare to elite military training. the AT is a vacation. walk a few days, take a day or 2 off. slackpack a few days while stayin' in town eatin' and drinkin'. no big deal
Really-that's your answer? I've rarely ever posted anything in responds to you, but 28,000 posts and you got nothin' to say but smart a## comments to well meaning people who seek out information from each other, while you contribute what?

Lone Wolf
09-16-2013, 00:28
Really-that's your answer? I've rarely ever posted anything in responds to you, but 28,000 posts and you got nothin' to say but smart a## comments to well meaning people who seek out information from each other, while you contribute what?

yeah that's my answer to chin music. mind your own posts

double d
09-16-2013, 00:47
yeah that's my answer to chin music. mind your own posts I'm making it my business, what are you gonna do about it? And its the same old LW answer-28,000 posts and got nothing to say.

Lone Wolf
09-16-2013, 00:49
you're a strange sorta stalker

Likeapuma
09-16-2013, 01:07

First & foremost, congrats to your son on being selected for Ranger school & big thank you for the sacrifices he & your family have made for our country.

I haven't hiked the AT, so I can avoid the mudslinging that's occurred already. I think your stats, though, are a bit misleading. Rangers must first be vetted, & are usually excellent soldiers to begin with & don't know the meaning of "failure" & "quit".

As many on here have said in other posts, a large majority of wishful thru-hikers are unprepared & clueless about the task ahead... That definitely contributes to the lower percentage of successful thru-hikes.

Ok, the keyboard warriors can continue

quasarr
09-16-2013, 01:27
Really good advice there! From the Ranger School link....

The tendency is also to think you are the only one that is having this negative thought. This isolates you in this new harsh environment. You start looking around and thinking “everyone else is adjusting fine and seems to be stronger than I am.”

WOW I really relate to this. Wish I had read this briefing before starting the PCT!! I had these thoughts all the time, that everyone else was tougher than me and I wasn't strong enough. But I guess I was after all. :-?

PS Good luck to your son, Malto!!

blainem
09-16-2013, 02:11
Awesome post but horrible comments.

I've heard from many people that the AT changes you, puts you in touch with the goodness and love of people, renews faith in humanity. I don't believe this thread is an image of that realization.

Best of luck to your son.

oldbear
09-16-2013, 02:53
OP
I think that what you're missing is the fact that the military doesn't believe in HYOH

4shot
09-16-2013, 07:18
OP
I think that what you're missing is the fact that the military doesn't believe in HYOH
I don't think many of the internet warriors and hikers do either unfortunately.:D

Dogwood
09-16-2013, 07:41
I think Malto started the thread to make some parallels on how obtaining mental toughness with the Ranger programs could be used by hikers. I seriously don't think he wanted the parallels and techniques to turn into a pissing contest on which was more mentally tough, however.

Did some miss this when he obviously clarified his intent because some of you are still proceeding down a side road? "....if you don't see any similarities between the mental component of the both activities and the ways to combat the mental component. The advice that was given on the original link could be reworded for hiking and 90% of it would apply."

double d
09-16-2013, 08:00
OP
I think that what you're missing is the fact that the military doesn't believe in HYOH Good point, but the OP is a military vet and long distance hiker, so he may have thought of that before he posted his question. Good luck to his son as he enters and completes Ranger School.

garlic08
09-16-2013, 08:04
All I've got to say it that if you enjoy walking every day, a thru hike is not mentally tough at all. For some, it's actually a pleasure.

From all the comments about the mental rigors of hiking, it appears a minority of hikers feel this way.

I bet there's a similar minority of any well-trained professional branch who feels the same way--military, athlete, firefighter, engineer, medical, (add your profession here)....

Just Bill
09-16-2013, 14:04
Sigh- just in case LW is unavailable- here's a quick guide to filling in for him while he's on vacation.
1- find a generally positive thread or topic and post a discouraging remark. Preferably dilute the original topic into an A or B situation.
2-if anyone argues on behalf of A, then support B- and visa-versa as needed.
3-once argument has failed, ask the original poster for a portion of their resume- even if you know that the poster is a qualified individual you can at least cause confussion.
4- once you have sufficiently offended another poster that they comment- shift your focus to that poster- and ignore all other posts.
5-once the first offended poster has ignored you, accuse any other posters who attack or defend of stalking, as your comment was only meant to offend one person and it's really strange that they got involved at all.
6- take a break from the thread, maybe head to café for a beer.
7- once the thread is completely trashed, pop in to some inane thread and make a positive comment- just for fun, bonus points if the positive comment is in complete opposition to a comment you previously made.
8- Log off, pat yourself on the back and go back to the real world where you are a fairly nice guy who helps out hikers all the time.
Maintain balance in all things and remember- I learned it from watching you Dad.

Hill Ape
09-16-2013, 14:19
luckily, I was able to figure out the ignore function... but it is amusing to watch all of you bicker with "This message is hidden because Lone Wolf is on your ignore list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist)." if only the ignore function also extended to quotes from the ignored user, then i'd be blissfully ignorant of anything he said. wait for it, he'll have some smart ast comment about me saying i'm ignorant

Marmaduke
09-16-2013, 14:36
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mj_popcorn.gif

Likeapuma
09-16-2013, 14:52
^ Hahahahaha!

Rasty
09-16-2013, 15:23
Sigh- just in case LW is unavailable- here's a quick guide to filling in for him while he's on vacation.
1- find a generally positive thread or topic and post a discouraging remark. Preferably dilute the original topic into an A or B situation.
2-if anyone argues on behalf of A, then support B- and visa-versa as needed.
3-once argument has failed, ask the original poster for a portion of their resume- even if you know that the poster is a qualified individual you can at least cause confussion.
4- once you have sufficiently offended another poster that they comment- shift your focus to that poster- and ignore all other posts.
5-once the first offended poster has ignored you, accuse any other posters who attack or defend of stalking, as your comment was only meant to offend one person and it's really strange that they got involved at all.
6- take a break from the thread, maybe head to café for a beer.
7- once the thread is completely trashed, pop in to some inane thread and make a positive comment- just for fun, bonus points if the positive comment is in complete opposition to a comment you previously made.
8- Log off, pat yourself on the back and go back to the real world where you are a fairly nice guy who helps out hikers all the time.
Maintain balance in all things and remember- I learned it from watching you Dad.

You and Lone Wolf are becoming my favorites.

Does BFF stand for

Best Friend Forever?

Or

Beard Food Find?

Dogwood
09-16-2013, 15:31
Quassar- Really good advice there! From the Ranger School link....

"The tendency is also to think you are the only one that is having this negative thought. This isolates you in this new harsh environment. You start looking around and thinking “everyone else is adjusting fine and seems to be stronger than I am.”

WOW I really relate to this. Wish I had read this briefing before starting the PCT!! I had these thoughts all the time, that everyone else was tougher than me and I wasn't strong enough. But I guess I was after all. :-?

PS Good luck to your son, Malto!! -Quassar

It's my assumption that Malto started this thread to provide some info that can possibly make all of us better hikers and possibly better at a whole lot more - IF WE WERE ALL TO READ WHAT HE POSTED AND LINKED TO AND WE APPLIED THE INFORMATION. Let's get back to one of the things I think Malto was attempting to discuss when he started this thread: mentioning training techniques and real world philosophies used by the Ranger program provided in the mental training/goal attaining link provided by him in his opening post and how those techniques/ideas can be used in context with hiking/thru-hiking/long distance hiking.

Again, here's the link: http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry...r%20School.pdf (http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Building%20Mental%20Toughness%20for%20Ranger%20Sch ool.pdf) (http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Building%20Mental%20Toughness%20for%20Ranger%20Sch ool.pdf)

I suggest we read it in order to comment intelligently on the topic

Here's what Quassar posted. She obviously read the link and took something positive from it applying it to her hiking.

Quassar - From the Ranger School link....

"The tendency is also to think you are the only one that is having this negative thought. This isolates you in this new harsh environment. You start looking around and thinking “everyone else is adjusting fine and seems to be stronger than I am.”

PS Good luck to your son, Malto!! - Quassar

IMHO, Quassar pointed out an excellent piece in the Ranger link. When we realize that others are in a similar situation as us YET THEY ARE NOT taking the easier more convenient way out like quitting and have no obvious special superhuman advantages it can assist us to realize we can do it too. Hopefully, this strengthens our mental processing and conditioning in the direction of being an achiever rather than a habitual quitter.

I speak about the mental aspects of what goes on between our ears often as I realized many yrs ago that little postively changes unless the thinking changes. We wonder sometimes why we are currently experiencing the quality of life that we are. When things aren't going exactly as we would like we so VERY often point to things outside of ourselves as the cause rather than taking a cold hard sober look at we what we do that has created or contributed to the situation. Very often it is within ourselves, like the way we process and think about things, that are much the cause. Even if events affecting us seem beyond our control and uncaused by us we can still choose how we process and define those events and thereby behave to those events IF WE ARE MINDFUL TO GUARD OUR HEARTS AND MINDS. If you don't do it many are waiting in line to do it for you - not always with your best interests in mind.

Malto
09-16-2013, 15:46
Wow, quite surprised at all the recent activity on this thread. I really appreciate the kind words from many posters.

Unfortunately, I spite of my best efforts this became a comparision between a thru hike and Ranger training instead of a comparison between what the Rangers have listed as ways to combat mental weakness and many techniques that experienced hikers have suggested to deal with the same issue on thru hikes.

Just Bill, you had me laughing!

HikerMom58
09-16-2013, 16:07
Wow, quite surprised at all the recent activity on this thread. I really appreciate the kind words from many posters.

Unfortunately, I spite of my best efforts this became a comparision between a thru hike and Ranger training instead of a comparison between what the Rangers have listed as ways to combat mental weakness and many techniques that experienced hikers have suggested to deal with the same issue on thru hikes.

Just Bill, you had me laughing!

You're welcome Malto ...

Just Bill is just AWESOME. :D It's gotta be the pigtails!! ;)

Mags
09-16-2013, 16:55
Bill's post was one of the funniest I've seen in a while!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Lone Wolf
09-16-2013, 17:27
Bill's post was one of the funniest I've seen in a while!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gifi agree:)............

rickb
09-16-2013, 21:23
i agree:)............

Funny, but not applicable to LW.

No mention of pithiness.

WB needs to post a statistic on how many times a users name is searched -- presumably to find a thread worth reading first.

Anyone wonder whose name would be at the top?

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 21:25
matthewski

max patch
09-16-2013, 21:29
WB needs to post a statistic on how many times a users name is searched -- presumably to find a thread worth reading first.

Anyone wonder whose name would be at the top?

Jack Tarlin.

RangerZ
09-16-2013, 21:35
Ranger School changed my life - 8 weeks and 3 days of daily exertion, hunger, sleep deprivation, etc (wait, it sounds like the AT) – showed me what I could do if I tried. It was, at the time, the hardest physical and mental effort that I’d ever tried.

To get the physical comment out of the way, my 23 year old body had a hard time in Ranger School; my 63 year old body may have a harder time on the AT in 2016.

I think that the information from the I School has a direct parallel to the AT; except for scale, it’s good advice for the AT. Ranger School was physically hard but the mental component defeats many. The mental toughness needed is of different types. The AT doesn’t present you with potentially life and death decisions every day. The ability to persevere every day for almost 2000 miles presents many civilians with a challenge.

The last page about Ranger School is right on. I carry a tab every day to remind me of what what’s expected, the responsibility that goes with the accomplishment.

Good luck to your son in Ranger School. RLTW.

I’m the good looking kid with no hair and glasses third from the right in the fourth row from the bottom in the picture.

Praha4
10-06-2013, 18:26
hey Malto. Winter Ranger School is tough, they used to let winter grads sew the Ranger tab on their uniform with white thread. I went thru Army Ranger school from Oct-Dec, '76. The course has changed a lot over the years, but it's still tough as nails to get thru, it's more like a survival school in many ways. From what I've seen, the Ranger course is back to the way it was in my time, 3 phases. Phase 1 at Harmony Church, Ft Benning, GA. Phase 2 the Mountain Phase near Dahlonega, GA. Phase 3 at Eglin AFB, Florida panhandle. Not to try to scare you, but I endured early-mid stage hypothermia during the Florida Phase in the Yellow River Swamps during the patrols. The next Ranger class right after mine had 3 students die from hypothermia in January in the Florida phase. There was another class in the mid 90s that lost more students to hypothermia in the Yellow River swamps one cold night. The Army has instituted some serious changes to the course to better protect students from hypothermia or other accidents during training. They have quicker medevac available and better field medical care. They have limits on the number of hours they can keep the students in the cold water of the Yellow River swamps in Florida. The course breaks you down physically, with very little food or sleep during the patrol opns. My right shoulder almost got dislocated in the hand to hand combat training pits by one of the R.I.s at Harmony Church at Ft. Benning. I was determined not to wash out, so I taped up my shoulder with black electrical tape to get thru the rest of the course, never reported it to the medics. 30 years later I have advanced arthritis in that same shoulder, but no big deal. I'm still hiking, life is good. Ranger school was a fantastic experience for me. It does teach you a lot about yourself and your limits. Good luck to him, stay safe!

Malto
10-06-2013, 19:58
hey Malto. Winter Ranger School is tough, they used to let winter grads sew the Ranger tab on their uniform with white thread. I went thru Army Ranger school from Oct-Dec, '76. The course has changed a lot over the years, but it's still tough as nails to get thru, it's more like a survival school in many ways. From what I've seen, the Ranger course is back to the way it was in my time, 3 phases. Phase 1 at Harmony Church, Ft Benning, GA. Phase 2 the Mountain Phase near Dahlonega, GA. Phase 3 at Eglin AFB, Florida panhandle. Not to try to scare you, but I endured early-mid stage hypothermia during the Florida Phase in the Yellow River Swamps during the patrols. The next Ranger class right after mine had 3 students die from hypothermia in January in the Florida phase. There was another class in the mid 90s that lost more students to hypothermia in the Yellow River swamps one cold night. The Army has instituted some serious changes to the course to better protect students from hypothermia or other accidents during training. They have quicker medevac available and better field medical care. They have limits on the number of hours they can keep the students in the cold water of the Yellow River swamps in Florida. The course breaks you down physically, with very little food or sleep during the patrol opns. My right shoulder almost got dislocated in the hand to hand combat training pits by one of the R.I.s at Harmony Church at Ft. Benning. I was determined not to wash out, so I taped up my shoulder with black electrical tape to get thru the rest of the course, never reported it to the medics. 30 years later I have advanced arthritis in that same shoulder, but no big deal. I'm still hiking, life is good. Ranger school was a fantastic experience for me. It does teach you a lot about yourself and your limits. Good luck to him, stay safe!

Harmony church...... That brings back some m

Malto
10-06-2013, 20:01

Harmony church..... That brings back some memories. I was talking to my son about swamp phase in winter. Sounds like they have some rules regarding cold and training after the 90s issue. I did some hiking with my son a couple weeks ago. It was humbling!!! Thanks for your service.

TheYoungOne
10-07-2013, 12:00
While I think comparing Ranger School and Thru Hiking the AT is like comparing apples and oranges, after reading the link I see where Malto was going with it. Basic lessons taken from the Ranger School Mental Toughness primer can be used in thru hiking the AT. Like for example breaking the long task into smaller segments. I think an AT thru hiker needs to break down that long hike in short segments and celebrate the small accomplishments along the way. I see some thru hikers celebrate completing a state, or with PCT hikers maybe its a mileage goal like 500,1000, 1500, etc. Also while physical fitness is much more important in ranger school I think some potential AT thru hikers overlook this, and either bail on the hike because its physically too tough, or they suffer an injury that could have been prevented if they did not "steadily increased their physical fitness" before starting the thru hike. As others have already said, good luck to Malto's son and thank you for his service.