PDA

View Full Version : Class of 1971

alaskadave
09-14-2013, 16:47
Anybody out there from 1971? There were 22 people who did the trail that year. I was the last one to finish on Ocober14. David Odell

CrumbSnatcher
09-15-2013, 14:18
Anybody out there from 1971? There were 22 people who did the trail that year. I was the last one to finish on Ocober14. David Odell
Alaska Dave sorry i can't help you find your friends
just wanted to say congrats on the hike,would of been cool to see the trail back in the day!
again congrats :-)

max patch
09-15-2013, 15:49
Hi Dave.

I almost feel like I know you since you were so prominently mentioned in Leitzell's account of his hike.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by CrumbSnatcher. There was a discussion years ago on Trailplace about the pro's and con's of a thru hike back when you did yours. Almost everyone thot that such a hike would be a miserable experience because of the absence of the current social scene and they would not want to do a thru back then. I disagree. While the social scene has some definite advantages, I too wish that I could have experienced what you did back in the day.

rickb
09-15-2013, 19:53
I was going to send you a link to a journal from 1971. But turns out it was yours.

wornoutboots
09-15-2013, 20:14
Congratz!!! Are you contemplating doing it again??

Figgy
09-26-2013, 09:37
Hi Dave.

I almost feel like I know you since you were so prominently mentioned in Leitzell's account of his hike.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by CrumbSnatcher. There was a discussion years ago on Trailplace about the pro's and con's of a thru hike back when you did yours. Almost everyone thot that such a hike would be a miserable experience because of the absence of the current social scene and they would not want to do a thru back then. I disagree. While the social scene has some definite advantages, I too wish that I could have experienced what you did back in the day.

I agree. Would be cool to do it back in the day with little "social scene" However I believe the CDT is just that opportunity to do so, before it gets too popular and crowded.

Mags
09-26-2013, 11:17
There was a discussion years ago on Trailplace about the pro's and con's of a thru hike back when you did yours.

I think a hike in 1971 would be very interesting for sure.

I think the only way to create that experience now is to do some of the more obscure trails (Allegheny Traiil, Cohos, Grand Enchantment) and so on.

Even the CDT has a small bit of trail culture now, esp where it coincides with the Colorado Trail.

Have to find that journal Rick mentioned. :)

And, Dave, welcome!