PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for Mental Health

Symba
09-15-2013, 12:39
As an avid hiker and occasional backpacker I would like to introduce myself through the link provided below. Plans change and I have decided to dedicate more of my hiking and backpacking to a cause that propels my self interests. Converting these interests from self to others are my newly found lifetime goals. After slaving for ten years to attain my degrees in psychology and nature I found an excellent non-profit group I will work through and with. My first hike is coming up soon (see link) that is sponsored. Instead of backpacking for the next month on the Appalachian Trail (AT) I will instead use the time now and in the future to help exactly what I preach about, psychology and nature, also called eco-therapy. My PhD dissertation was research on what many of us already know, positive changes from long distance hiking the AT. Though a lot of us know about this psychological gift nature helps us with it also needs to be documented with actual research methods and results. This is what I am all about, this is what I accomplished, and I hope my findings help with future research in the development of bon-a-fide counseling services and self help individuals and groups. This is the link to my next hike: https://www.z2systems.com/np/clients/hike/campaign.jsp?campaign=27&team=160&fundraiser=1204&#.UjW6VVkZmOY.facebook

MuddyWaters
09-15-2013, 12:55
Hiking or other such experience is only a temporary band-aid.

The problem, if there is one, is the stressful, complicated, life that is necessitated to participate in society today.

I will only say, problems should be solved at the source.

Dogwood
09-15-2013, 15:01
There's quite a bit of research that explores the benefits of being immersed in nature and are well being. If you haven't read Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv I highly recommend it as it directly pertains to your cause and dissertation.

Symba
09-15-2013, 16:36
There's quite a bit of research that explores the benefits of being immersed in nature and are well being. If you haven't read Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv I highly recommend it as it directly pertains to your cause and dissertation. Yes, I've sited Richard Louv , Thanks. Kaplan and Kaplan are good sources too. :D

Doc
09-15-2013, 19:37
Clearly I am out of step. I have a Ph.D. in clinical psychology and hike to get away from all of the issues related to therapy, taking care of others, and any and all intellectual pursuits. Hiking for me is just pure fun without having to worry about grander issues. I do ponder the addiction potentials that Snickers bars present.

Rasty
09-15-2013, 20:42
Clearly I am out of step. I have a Ph.D. in clinical psychology and hike to get away from all of the issues related to therapy, taking care of others, and any and all intellectual pursuits. Hiking for me is just pure fun without having to worry about grander issues. I do ponder the addiction potentials that Snickers bars present.

It's not an addiction

double d
09-16-2013, 02:01
There's quite a bit of research that explores the benefits of being immersed in nature and are well being. If you haven't read Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv I highly recommend it as it directly pertains to your cause and dissertation. Interesting question and I think hiking, especially long distance, requires its own need of coping skills, thus, I'm not sure if someone lacks the skills to cope with everyday life (or needs to learn "how"), then maybe hiking is good for the soul, but maybe not for dysfunctional behavior the person already has?

oldbear
09-16-2013, 02:57
My biggest mental health concern on next year's thru hike is how I'm not going to get depressed if I have to spend a week hiking in rain

Symba
09-16-2013, 19:30
Good luck on your thru hike next year Oldbear. It is very possible you'll end up hiking in the rain for a few days in a row; make the best of it with a zero day or more to let your body heal. That is what I did on my thru hike thirteen years ago, I was able to reserve a few zeros for a rainy day :D

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 19:53
My biggest mental health concern on next year's thru hike is how I'm not going to get depressed if I have to spend a week hiking in rain
you just take it a day at a time.i just spent a rainy week in maine, and what would always brighten my mood was the scent of balsam fir.it could be pouring raining and when i stepped into a grove of balsam fir, i was always reminded of xmas and it would bring a smile to my face.
the more often you do it,the easier it gets. even when you wake up on day 5 and its still raining, knowing you have to put back on your cold wet clothes and start walking, you know at the end of the day, when you've eaten, and are warm and dry in your sleeping bag and tent, you look back and smile and say now that wasnt so bad ,was it?
the more youve walked through, the easier it is to deal with.
and when that sun finally breaks through after a week of clouds and rain,theres no better feeling.

Biggie Master
09-16-2013, 21:15
It's not an addiction

We can quit any time we want to... We just don't want to.

SawnieRobertson
09-17-2013, 18:22
Is this going to give us resource to cite when people say that we are crazy to go out in the woods with no gun, by ourselves, day/week/month after day/week/month?

lemon b
09-24-2013, 21:46
I'm Bias. I feel hiking is good for everything. Each person is different and this kinda subject is certainly way out of my league. However, bet hiking has sure been a positive part of Chip Leonards life.