PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Fly Creek UL2

marshbirder
09-15-2013, 16:58
I used my UL2 for the first time last night. The inside was so saggy and cramped (see my out-of-focus picture). Is that just how it is unless you completely stake it out with the guy lines? Did I do something wrong?

hikerboy57
09-15-2013, 17:16
the tent performs best only if its staked out.its not a free standing tent, if the tent walls arent taut, you'll be wet on a rainy windy night. did you have the fly clipped to the tent wall and sides staked out?
ive had a flycreek for a few years, and it held up well even in 60 mph winds.

marshbirder
09-15-2013, 17:31
No, I only staked the foot end and the vestibule. I know it's not 100% free-standing, but I thought it would be a little better without completely staking it out. I may look into another option for a thru.

Thanks for the response!

hikerboy57
09-15-2013, 17:48
the fly creek was widely used this year on the trail, its a good tent with relatively quick setup. the only downside i had was the front vestibule. i recently bought the lighteart solong6 which weighs a few ounces less, uses trekking poles, and is roomier than the fly creek. i just came back from a wet week in maine, and the tent kept me and my gear dry.

stranger
09-15-2013, 18:36
All tents need to be pulled taught and staked in order to perform well, regardless of whether or not they are free standing, free standing simply means the tent can stand by itself, doesn't mean it will perform well.

slbirdnerd
09-16-2013, 08:59
I have this tent as well and it's great, but you do have to stake it out well. Make sure you're clipping the fly to the tent and staking it right like mentioned above. I also stow my pack in the foot an that pushes it out a little bit. I don't mind the front entry. We had a rain and hail storm a couple weeks ago and I had maybe 2 tablespoons of water in one front corner of the tent. I was impressed, the weather was pretty ugly.

tolowo80
01-22-2014, 11:27
the tent performs best only if its staked out.its not a free standing tent, if the tent walls arent taut, you'll be wet on a rainy windy night. did you have the fly clipped to the tent wall and sides staked out?
ive had a flycreek for a few years, and it held up well even in 60 mph winds.

Hikerboy is right. I had a BA SL1 and for it to look like the pictures, I had to stake out all the stake points on the tub and the fly. Unfortunately the tent was no match for 70mph 12, 000ft on MT.Whitney. tent basically exploded. Just ripped apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
01-22-2014, 11:51
Yep, fine tent, very popular, mine worked great, but yes, gotta stake out those sides. I do not generally use stakes on all points around the periphery though, I use 6 total for a decent taught pitch; two at back corners (but not one at back center, pole holds that one out), two on fly front (but not two on body front, again, poles hold those out), two fairly far away from tent body on fly sides to keep taught. If I'm near trees, I actually tie the fly side lines high on tree/bush branches to make tightest possible pitch. This really is a nice, roomy (for one), rain proof tent. Mine never leaked in about 80-90 nights of use and lots of rain. And no, it is not built for 70MPH winds above treeline!