PDA

View Full Version : Section hike advice starting at 19E TN going to Damascus Next week

Grunt
09-15-2013, 22:14
Driving this Sunday 350+ miles to Mountain Harbor BB and hope to maybe hit the trail late afternoon weather permitting. Question... Map and AWOL guide doesn't show any camping sites the first six miles and not sure we could make that. Now does anyone know if there might be good camping on those open ridges at mile 394 or if the local church at Buck's Mtn Road, mile 395 is hiker/tent friendly? Next question.... since we cannot tent or use the Watauga Lake Shelter... the next shelter Vandeventer is 7.5 miles further and in-between these two shelters, again there doesn't seem to be any campsites listed, so I'm looking for someone who might know that area between mile marker 426.8 and 434 who may be able to suggest possible campsites. thanks, grunt

Slo-go'en
09-16-2013, 11:41
If you leave late afternoon, you won't have much daylight left and finding a camping spot in the dark isn't easy. You *might* find a spot on top the hill after the climb out of 19E but after that it would be iffy. How many is "we"? Finding a spot for one person is easier then for 2 or more.

There is a road crossing .3 miles after Watauga dam and a camping spot just past the road. Don't know where you'd get water from though, probably have to carry it from the stream at Watauga shelter, 3 miles back.

fredmugs
09-16-2013, 12:50
I don't remember the specifics on camping sites but I will say that between Watauga and Vandenveter I saw 7 bears in one day and only 6 everywhere else on the entire trail. If you're looking to stealth make sure you protect your food.

Mr. Bumpy
09-16-2013, 18:32
It's been a while since I've been that way but I remember crossing cow fields and a lot of back yards heading north from 19E. If you just needed a quick easy place to camp and didn't want to stay at Mt. Harbor you could head south on the AT to the old Apple House shelter site.

winger
09-16-2013, 19:53
Once you pass the road beyond the dam and ascend the climb up the ridge, there are spots to camp before Vandeventer shelter. The water source at Vandeventer is way down the hill and the shelter is well, minimal, but with a nice view. I don't use shelters.
If you are hammocking then there a lots of opportunities to hang for the night.

Grunt
09-16-2013, 21:43
Thanks for all the come-backs... probably best to rest at MH Sunday night.... stayed in the hostel (over the barn) a couple of years back and it was great.

Tennessee Viking
09-17-2013, 08:35
Driving this Sunday 350+ miles to Mountain Harbor BB and hope to maybe hit the trail late afternoon weather permitting. Question... Map and AWOL guide doesn't show any camping sites the first six miles and not sure we could make that. Now does anyone know if there might be good camping on those open ridges at mile 394 or if the local church at Buck's Mtn Road, mile 395 is hiker/tent friendly? Next question.... since we cannot tent or use the Watauga Lake Shelter... the next shelter Vandeventer is 7.5 miles further and in-between these two shelters, again there doesn't seem to be any campsites listed, so I'm looking for someone who might know that area between mile marker 426.8 and 434 who may be able to suggest possible campsites. thanks, grunt
The prohibited area is US 321 to Wilbur Dam Road.

If you want to skip Pond Flats, you can walk the Hampton Blue Blaze. There are a number of creekside areas good for camping. Especially in front of a huge rock formation. Once you pass the rock wall trail and power lines, you are right inside Hampton.

But there is Black Bear and Kincora at Dennis Cove Road. I heard varying reports that Braemar is back open.

There are some flat areas off trail right when hit Shook Branch Rd/ US321.

The grounds around the Big Laurel Branch Wilderness boundary and kiosk are pretty flat. But they are right above the road. Then once you climb up to the top of the Iron Mtn ridgeline, there plenty of flat spots. Water can be hard to find once you get to the ridgeline.