PDA

View Full Version : Plane went down on Springer...

jimmyjob
08-10-2005, 14:04
The plane that disappeared yesterday from North Carolina crashed at or near Springer....Did anyone see it????? Did any hikers get hurt???? I just heard it on the radio news.........All I really know is it was a small prop plane, so atleast it wasn't that big........:eek::eek::confused::confused:

Footslogger
08-10-2005, 14:09
Here's the headline and story ...

Wreckage may be that of missing plane

Associated Press
Published on: 08/10/05
Two days after a small plane disappeared while flying over the north Georgia mountains, a crashed plane was discovered in the area and investigators were trying to confirm it was the same plane.

Capt. Paige Joyner of the Civil Air Patrol said a helicopter search team spotted the downed plane north of the Dahlonega Airport. By midday Wednesday, investigators hadn't seen the plane up close, so they weren't yet confirming it was the same plane that vanished Monday while flying from Lake Norman, N.C., to Smyrna, Tenn.

<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude-->Joyner said five or six investigators were headed for the crash site, but that it may take awhile for them to arrive.
"The terrain is very rugged up there and is difficult to maneuver," she said. "They'll have to walk into it."

Authorities haven't released the name of the male pilot, his hometown or the model of the single-engine plane he was flying. Joyner said officials aren't sure whether the pilot was alone or whether any passengers were aboard.

The plane was supposed to be on a direct flight to Tennessee, but it never arrived. Radio signals indicated the plane went down in the north central Georgia mountains.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-10-2005, 14:13
Report sounds like the plane is not down on or near a maintained trail so it is unlikely any hikers were injured. Prayers for the pilot, any passengers and the families.

Tim Rich
08-10-2005, 14:23
A small single engine craft was lost two days ago in the north Georgia mountains. They've seen wreckage from the air about 300 feet below a ridge on Springer, but they've not reached it by foot to verify. A fire would have been a greater risk to hikers than the impact, but crash scene photos appear to indicate there was no fire.

Prayers and best wishes to the family of the pilot.

Take Care,

Tim

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/0810-ad-wcnc-plane_down.5dd2203c.html

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/0805/10plane.html

Mags
08-10-2005, 15:06
There is a long history of small prop planes hitting a "cloud of rock". There are quite a few websites for people who like to hike to these sites. Many are off trail.

There is a well known crash site near the LT by Mt. Abraham/Monroe Skyline area
Pic: http://gallery.backcountry.net/MagsLT99/aaw

If there is any solace for the family of the pilot currently in the news, it is that the family can at least get some peace by knowing the fate of their loved one. Not knowing what happened must be the hardest part of all.

weary
08-10-2005, 16:26
There is a long history of small prop planes hitting a "cloud of rock". There are quite a few websites for people who like to hike to these sites. Many are off trail.

There is a well known crash site near the LT by Mt. Abraham/Monroe Skyline area
Pic: http://gallery.backcountry.net/MagsLT99/aawl.
I passed the wreckage of a small plane on the approach trail from Amicalola State Park in 1993, and what looked like a military air craft in northern Georgia or perhaps just after I moved into North Carolina.

Weary

Dances with Mice
08-10-2005, 18:48
I passed the wreckage of a small plane on the approach trail from Amicalola State Park in 1993 Nimblewill Gap, I think. It's all been removed and a plaque installed, at the pilot's family's expense, IIRC.

dream
08-13-2005, 22:53
wow this thread has been up for like 4 hrs and no one has mentioned " that demon alkyhol", Blamed it on the president, or any of the usual stuff.

dream
08-13-2005, 22:55
wow this thread has been up for like 4 hrs and no one has mentioned " that demon alkyhol", Blamed it on the president, or any of the usual stuff. I meant 4 days. doh!

SGT Rock
08-13-2005, 23:04
The illuminati has a tight clamp on this one, that is why.

dream
08-13-2005, 23:21
Too funny!!!!

08-14-2005, 09:15
Was at the Ranger Camp yesterday training some runners and they had the plane there. The peolple there said it hit the side of Springer Mtn but have no idea what caused the crash. I have seen a few planes that have went down but nothing like this. The biggest part of this looked to be about the size of a poster.