PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Calculator

Autummyst
09-16-2013, 13:17
Hi everyone! I remember a post where someone posted a link to a website where you could estimate the time it would take you to hike the AT. It even had estimated shelter points and such. I thought it was pretty cool to play with and now I can't find it :/

Does anyone remember where this was on whiteblaze or the website?

Thanks!!!

coach lou
09-16-2013, 13:56
AT distance Calculator.............................link won't load!

TrippLite
09-16-2013, 14:11
AT distance calculator...

http://www.atdist.com

slbirdnerd
09-16-2013, 15:20
If you email David Miller from his website he will share his Excel files for AT 12, 15 and 18 mile a day average thru hikes. I'm referring to them in section planning. Very good of him to share. See www.theatguide.com (http://www.theatguide.com). But his guide, too. :)

Autummyst
09-16-2013, 21:25
Thanks everyone :) The one I'm looking for produced a calendar with estimated shelter arrivals based on what you think your daily mileage will be and how many zeros you take, rather than simply the distance between point a and point b. You were able to see for example, what date range you might arrive to CT based on these estimates. I just can't find it!! I know it's somewhere in the whiteblaze world :o Birdnerd, I'll check that out ...thanks :)

10-K
09-17-2013, 11:15
Thanks everyone :) The one I'm looking for produced a calendar with estimated shelter arrivals based on what you think your daily mileage will be and how many zeros you take, rather than simply the distance between point a and point b. You were able to see for example, what date range you might arrive to CT based on these estimates. I just can't find it!! I know it's somewhere in the whiteblaze world :o Birdnerd, I'll check that out ...thanks :)

This is pretty interesting. Shelter locations in this scenario would be a non-issue since it would be pure coincidence that you'd end the day at a shelter if your pre-planning scenario was just plugging in an estimated MPD and number of zeros.

For example... when I hike I usually make 20-25 mpd and I stop when I want to stop and it's pretty rare that the end of the day just happens to be at a shelter.

This sounds like a pretty complex little program you're looking for....

Dogwood
09-17-2013, 12:09
Hi everyone! I remember a post where someone posted a link to a website where you could estimate the time it would take you to hike the AT. It even had estimated shelter points and such. I thought it was pretty cool to play with and now I can't find it :/

Does anyone remember where this was on whiteblaze or the website?

Thanks!!!

This may sound harsh and offensive but rid yourself of this idea. You'll probably be better for you and your hike.

Old Hiker
09-17-2013, 12:15
+1 on Dogwood's post #7. Plans change, weather, fitness, water sources, all will play a role in how you hike your OWN hike. I planned 12+ miles per day for my attempt - made 8-10 the first few weeks.

I used the AT Guide as just that: a guide. Where was I, what was next, how far did I want to go past this really, really GREAT campsite at 1800.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 17:07
I'm well aware. The keyword you may have missed was "played with". It's simply fun and entertaining and does give you an estimate of possible states you can end up in depending on mileage. Man, some people on whiteblaze are a bit intense.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 17:10
This is pretty interesting. Shelter locations in this scenario would be a non-issue since it would be pure coincidence that you'd end the day at a shelter if your pre-planning scenario was just plugging in an estimated MPD and number of zeros.

For example... when I hike I usually make 20-25 mpd and I stop when I want to stop and it's pretty rare that the end of the day just happens to be at a shelter.

This sounds like a pretty complex little program you're looking for....

Hi 10k :) I know! That's why I wish I had saved the link. It was whiteblaze member who had created the program and was posted this summer. I had a lot of fun playing around with the program. It was cool to see various estimates. That's exactly how my husband and I are going about it. We aren't making any sort of 'pre plan' but we both thought it was interesting to be able to plug in these different factors and see the various outcomes.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 17:16
+1 on Dogwood's post #7. Plans change, weather, fitness, water sources, all will play a role in how you hike your OWN hike. I planned 12+ miles per day for my attempt - made 8-10 the first few weeks.

I used the AT Guide as just that: a guide. Where was I, what was next, how far did I want to go past this really, really GREAT campsite at 1800.

Hi Old Hiker :) Yup! I totally agree.

For the sake of clarification and the post staying on track, my question was not 'i need advice on hiking'. I simply want to know if anyone knew where this program was on whiteblaze. I'll scrounge around more and if I can find it will post it here too. I think a lot of folks would enjoy playing around with it.

coach lou
09-17-2013, 17:32
Go to WB Home Page ,in left Column, MENU, AT Data & Schedule, top link....shelters, mileages, and coordinates.....is what I think your looking for.

Autummyst
09-17-2013, 17:54
Go to WB Home Page ,in left Column, MENU, AT Data & Schedule, top link....shelters, mileages, and coordinates.....is what I think your looking for.

Thanks Coach! That's an awesome back up if I can't find the original program.

Dogwood
09-17-2013, 20:18
The calculator link is good for noting trail mileage in relation to AT NOBO or SOBO or mileage between benchmarks. Probably best to use their estimated times to hike between benchmarks as rough estimates as SO MUCH can influence these estimated times. I only said that Autmnmyst in my first post so that you don't get so rigid in planning your hike. Just my 2 cts.

Don H
09-17-2013, 21:50
This may sound harsh and offensive but rid yourself of this idea. You'll probably be better for you and your hike.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Is it that he shouldn't try to plan or determine how long it will take to complete a hike?

TrippLite
09-18-2013, 02:35
This was posted by The Weasel .... sounds like what you are looking for but the link is no longer available

http://www.tomjanofsky.com/at/

This is a handy calculator to determine number of days anticipated (starting date to finish date) based on assumptions about "zero days" and number of miles per day. This is VERY useful in determining when/where you will need mail drops. One way to use it is to make varying assumptions, i.e. early in your hike, 12 miles a day, after a few weeks, 15 miles a day, after a month or so, 20 miles, or whatever.

fredmugs
09-18-2013, 10:12
Unless I'm hiking a very easy section I tend to average about 2.25 MPH a day after factoring in breaks. To be on the conservative side my simple calculation is (hours of daylight minus 1) * 2. There were days in the Whites I couldn't come close to this however. At this time of year we're looking at 12 hours of daylight so I could plan on (12-1)*2 = 22 mile days max. You could mod that accordingly.

In the Long Trail End to Enders guide they have a MPH formula that factors in the steep climbs. I'm at work right now so I can't quote it.

Autummyst
09-18-2013, 11:21
TrippLite,

That was it! Darn! Well, thank you so much for posting that regardless. I appreciate it.

;)

This was posted by The Weasel .... sounds like what you are looking for but the link is no longer available

http://www.tomjanofsky.com/at/

This is a handy calculator to determine number of days anticipated (starting date to finish date) based on assumptions about "zero days" and number of miles per day. This is VERY useful in determining when/where you will need mail drops. One way to use it is to make varying assumptions, i.e. early in your hike, 12 miles a day, after a few weeks, 15 miles a day, after a month or so, 20 miles, or whatever.

Autummyst
09-18-2013, 11:31
Fregmugs,

Thanks. That's really helpful. And that makes sense about the whites. That's where my husband and I go on our hiking summer vacations. We LOVE it, but far more slow going than in CT. :o

:)

Unless I'm hiking a very easy section I tend to average about 2.25 MPH a day after factoring in breaks. To be on the conservative side my simple calculation is (hours of daylight minus 1) * 2. There were days in the Whites I couldn't come close to this however. At this time of year we're looking at 12 hours of daylight so I could plan on (12-1)*2 = 22 mile days max. You could mod that accordingly.

In the Long Trail End to Enders guide they have a MPH formula that factors in the steep climbs. I'm at work right now so I can't quote it.