PDA

View Full Version : Blisters, friggin blisters. What to do?

slbirdnerd
09-16-2013, 15:27
Help! This weekend I hiked 12 miles Saturday and 5 miles Sunday on varied terrain in my broken-in Merrell Moab ventilator lows and smart wool socks and earned some wicked blisters. They hurt like heck, and favoring them meant ending up with achy knees to boot. Granted 12 miles is my longest day yet, but what the heck? The blisters were the same on both feet: on the bottom of each pinky toe (they are crooked and I think my next toe caused it) and at the end of each big toe on the side of my foot (I have small bunions there). Sorry if this is TMI but I need real suggestions. Some say blisters are unnecessary, so what do I need to do? Different shoes? Different socks? The liner socks with the toes? New feet? :)

Rasty
09-16-2013, 15:31
The moabs can be a bit narrow. I get a similar blister between two toes because my pinky toe slides underneath the other. I tape the pinky toe beforehand now.

Nutbrown
09-16-2013, 15:48
The answer is stop when you feel the hot spots and tape them. I switched to trail runners, which made a difference, granted I was wearing Asolo boots that were hard as rocks. I also started using either Fits socks or Darn Tough socks. The smartwool ones stretched after a while and got slouchy which produced some of the hot spots. Good luck!

3_dogs
09-16-2013, 15:53
I use Bodyglide. It's in a stick like deodorant. Apply it to your feet each day. I haven't had a blister on my feet since I began using it.

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 15:54
try keens. wider toebox, used to use them all the time until i switched to trail runners.if you're getting blisters on both the inside and outside toes, the toebox is probably too narrow for your feet, your feet spread as you hike.
you should not have to break in hiking boots/shoes. they should feel good right out of the box.
try to keep your feet as dry as possible, even if it means switching socks mid day. perspiration is a leading cause of blisters.

HeartFire
09-16-2013, 15:56
you can
a) try the next half size up in the shoe - it's amazing what a difference it can make - on my recent CT hike, I had blisters like yours the first day or two. As soon as I got to town, I bought new shoes 1/2 size up - end of blisters. (same shoes as you)

b) toe socks - people swear by them

Biggie Master
09-16-2013, 16:03
Try the Injinji toe socks or any good brand of toe sock (Smartwool also has them). Also, make sure your nails are properly trimmed about 2-3 days prior to your hike. Finally, make sure your shoes and socks fit properly and that you keep your feet as dry as possible. Other than that -- ditto on the previous responses of addressing hot spots as soon as you "feel" the warning signs. Keep moleskin or some type of bandage with you when hiking.

treesloth
09-16-2013, 16:06
I use Bodyglide. It's in a stick like deodorant. Apply it to your feet each day. I haven't had a blister on my feet since I began using it.

BIG +1!! I swear by the stuff.. I use this with a combination of Injinji's and merino low-rise socks, good insoles, and carefully placed ENGO blister pads. Blisters have not paid me a visit since I started using these techniques.

peakbagger
09-16-2013, 16:30
If you get blisters between the toes or on the outer edges of your feet, you either have a lacing issue or need wider shoes. Many folks think that they only need to snug up their laces and go unfortunately this tends to even out the tension over the length of the laces and can pull the toe box inwards causing blisters, you may have adopt creative lacing where you tie the laces halfway and then at the top. Many ladies swear by keen shoes.

quasarr
09-16-2013, 16:51
Maybe this isn't the best way, but I just wait it out and accept I'll get a few blisters before my feet toughen up. I treat them by draining and putting on a band aid, maybe apply moleskin the next day. As long as they aren't getting infected, or so painful you can't hike, it's not a big deal. Eventually they callous up and you'll have nasty-looking but indestructible feet.

CarlZ993
09-16-2013, 17:25
Make sure you shoe isn't too small. Others had made some good suggestions of socks & foot treatments. Another foot treatment you might consider is Blister Shield. Excellent foot powder. Put some in your sock, shake it up, & put in on your foot. I've never had blisters when I used it (hiking, marathons, etc). I even sent it to my granddaughter when she was in Marine boot camp. She never got blisters either. I swear by the stuff.

http://www.2toms.com/blistershield/

doritotex
09-16-2013, 17:46
I concur!! Bigger shoes! A couple of years ago I did a 100 mile section hike, my shoes were broken in, my feet were toughened by previous weeks of shorter 3 or 4 day hikes, and I had the right socks, but I got blisters on the tops of my toes and all but 4 of my toenails turned black.
I always thought that bigger shoes would cause blisters because I thought that my feet "would slide around" with too much room. I got a size bigger in the same shoe and have not had a foot problem since.
If a shoe is "too big" you can always wear 2 pairs of socks, and sometimes that is a good thing.

Turk6177
09-16-2013, 18:00
+1 on body glide. I put it on every morning and reapply if I take a long lunch while airing out my feet. I like duct tape, but I seem to sweat it off pretty fast.

Pedaling Fool
09-16-2013, 18:41
I run barefoot on the beach, keeps the feet very tough; if you don't have a beach a little imagination is all it takes to figure out a way. Whatever you do, don't rely on store-bought items, such as special socks, lubs...or whatever, because then it's just one more thing you're dependent on.

bangorme
09-16-2013, 19:05
They ONLY time I ever get blisters is walking downhill. I'm thinking it's caused by shoes that move too much.

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 19:19
They ONLY time I ever get blisters is walking downhill. I'm thinking it's caused by shoes that move too much.
try walking uphill more:)

leaftye
09-16-2013, 19:21
Like others, I think your shoes are too small. Get wider shoes.

I don't like to wait until I get hot spots to air out my feet. I'm airing out my feet at least every 90 minutes, but usually more like every hour.

I do think blisters are unnecessary. You can break in your feet without them, and that's the way I prefer it.

bangorme
09-16-2013, 19:31

That's a high price to pay lol! ;)

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 19:33
these old knees actually prefer uphill to downhill

bangorme
09-16-2013, 19:34
You get blisters on your knees???? Now, that's dedication! ;)

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 19:35
Must be the shoes

steve0423
09-16-2013, 20:15
Had a few blister problems on my thru this year...
feet widened out in PA and had to get larger shoes, (blisters on both lil toes)
then walked through 35 days of rain further north...
wet feet are more susceptible to the friction that causes blisters (in my experience), something like hydropel or bodyglide may help in this situation...
since I was going through it so often, (and it seemed to work) I simple slathered my feet with Vaseline in the morning and again around noon...
I also found that washing my socks out every day made a big difference
try to tend to hot spots before they become blisters, Leukotape is awesome...
met a gal named Fire Feet who had been to the Doc with 12 infected blisters by the time she got to Franklin, don't under estimate the power of blisters to do in your hike
just my 2 cents

Rasty
09-16-2013, 20:26
these old knees actually prefer uphill to downhill

Too funny....

daddytwosticks
09-16-2013, 20:29
I use two pair of sock liners instead of "normal" socks. My feel stay cooler and less sweaty, thus no blisters. Also, try lighter trail runner type shoes. :)

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 20:30
Too funny....
if i remember correctly i believe your younger knees preferred the uphills as well

fiddlehead
09-16-2013, 20:33
I run barefoot on the beach, keeps the feet very tough; if you don't have a beach a little imagination is all it takes to figure out a way. Whatever you do, don't rely on store-bought items, such as special socks, lubs...or whatever, because then it's just one more thing you're dependent on.

+1 on the above advice.
Toughen up your feet by walking barefoot whenever you can. Sand is great. Even sidewalks will work.

Sorry slbirdnerd, I wrote you a long answer to your message and it just disappeared. look me up in Sch Haven if you come around here before Dec.

fredmugs
09-16-2013, 20:37
Moab Ventilators do come in a wide width - I wear them. You can also lace them up very loosely. I have been avoiding the top laces closest to the toes. I also quit wearing hiking socks. I have been fairly successful putting on dress socks and then regular athletic socks. Your toes need to wiggle around.

I've never tried Astro Glide but I think I will just to see what happens!

yaduck9
09-16-2013, 21:02
24093 Install a square knot

Purchase some SUPERFEET http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Green-Premium-Insoles-Womens/dp/B0033BPBD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379379573&sr=8-1&keywords=super+feet+insoles

Sprinkle some medicated foot powder in your Moab Ventilators http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bond-Triple-Action-Medicated/dp/B00125JFM6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379379679&sr=8-3&keywords=medicated+foot+powder

Try that first. You can order Moabs a bit wider through the REI web site.

ams212001
09-16-2013, 21:09
http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments/dp/0899976387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379380008&sr=8-1&keywords=fix+your+feet

A member who recently completed his thru recommended this book. I decided to buy it after a hike that left my foot with a muscle strain. It gives a lot of great overall advice from preventative care to how to fix your feet during your hike. I've enjoyed the book and have gained a lot of insight for when I purchase a different pair of hiking shoes.

Big Dawg
09-16-2013, 21:12
BODYGLIDE,,,,,, problem solved!

Del Q
09-16-2013, 21:14
What has worked for me, definitely shoes 1/2 size larger

Knee high pantry hose, foot powder, good socks.

Unless it is raining, mid day let my feet air out for an hour or so, soak them in a cold creek if you can, and at night.

Change socks, liner and re-powder at mid day break

Deacon
09-16-2013, 21:21
All the advice so far is spot on. The book "Fixing Your Feet" I has it all. Available as a kindle from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet-Prevention-Treatments/dp/0899976387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379380737&sr=8-1&keywords=taking+care+of+your+feet

marshbirder
09-16-2013, 22:36
Many ladies swear by keen shoes.

I love my Keens; I've never had a blister in them.

atmilkman
09-16-2013, 22:44
Shoot Army Ant a PM. He knows all there is to know about shoes. Depending on your size he may even give you a pair. Guaranteed low mileage.

shelb
09-16-2013, 23:21
Unfortunately, what works for one doesn't work for all.

I, too, have a massive blister issue - on my heels. I never have a problem when breaking in my shoes in Michigan - walking up/down stairs and on flat areas; however, once I get into the mountains of the AT, I have issues. Unfortunately, I have a wide toe box and a narrow heel. In order to accommodate my wide toes, my heels are given too much wiggle room. My blisters always form on my heels. Shoes I have worn on the AT (after 80-100 miles break in time) = Teva mid-boots, (Teva shoes were fine!), Merrill mid-boots, Keen Shoes, and a couple of others. I really think I either have to switch to trail runners or see an orthopedic person to make me heel inserts!??

Astro
09-17-2013, 00:28

Or try walking downhill backwards. Actually is considered less stress on the legs too. :)

BirdBrain
09-17-2013, 00:29

AngryGerman
09-17-2013, 00:43
There are many things to consider whendiscussing blisters, blister control and foot care in general. Written below are some of my methods for the previously listed. I'vewalked thousands of miles, having great success with my feet in theprocess. On my last through hike I experienced five blisters in 2200miles, four not even worthy of being called a blister and the fifthwas healed by the next day. I've been lucky enough to pick up sometips and tricks along the way from some personal experience and theexperienced. What I've learned is, there is no one secret topreventing blisters, I don't care what anyone says.

Foot preparation and care - Preppingyour feet for blister control is a huge factor as well as continuousboot, sock and foot care while on your hikes. There are many factorscausing one to get blisters, soft feet being one of them. Asmentioned previously, walking barefoot whenever possible is one wayto toughen the feet up. Also, not wearing socks with shoes helps intoughening the feet up. Periodically scrub the dead skin off yourfeet allowing for more to grow which will help build those pads up. For those with dry skin, lotion is a must. Please do yourself afavor, take your boots and socks off at the end of a hike and do notput socks on for the rest of the evening; not even when you sleep. Let your feet air out and dry. If you have to take your shoes off toair out during the hike, plan accordingly. If you get hot spots,debris in the shoe, etc. stop and take that shoe off immediately. Knowing when to listen to the dogs barking is a learned trait. Forblisters on the toes and heals, I've found that a high quality 100mphtape or duct tape works best; wrap some on your trek poles. When youdo get a blister, sterilize a sewing needle, running thread throughit. Take the needle and thread in hand and run it through theblister; cut the thread from the needle and leave the thread in theblister. You can leave it in overnight and if needed the next day. Blister will dry up and disappear; no joke! Wash your nasty feet atthe end of each day. Salt buildup is going to cause irritation thenext day of not cared for the evening before. The end of your hiketoday will determine the success of your hike tomorrow!

Shoe purchase - When purchasing shoesfor your hikes, realize that if you have thousands of choices, a widefoot needs a shoe designed for wide feet; same for narrow and mediumwidth. Shoe size and arch support is equally as important to thebrand and or specific foot type. If you do not have flat feetalready, as you hike your feet will flatten out and swell causingyour shoes to tighten up. Even flat feet will swell minimally soplan accordingly, maybe a half size larger or a shoe designed with abit more volume. Another consideration when purchasing hiking shoes,do the feet sweat profusely or are you a moderate to no sweat kind ofperson? Shoe breathe-ability is something folks don't really thinkabout when purchasing and often is there sole down fall to their shoepurchase. I know I have hot feet so I buy shoes that allow my feetto breathe which reduces in the sweating, not by much though. On 20milers my shoes often become soaking wet from the inside out, so Ineed lots of air movement!

Shoe break - Often a step that folksthink is accomplished but often not. Before long hikes, I often wearthe shoes in the shower, maybe a week prior, and then walk aroundwith them on for the remainder of the day until they dry. For thatentire week leading up to the hike, I wear my hiking shoes to allowthem to finish forming to my foot. My method is sort of likebreaking in a baseball glove with hot shaving cream and the oven,only I use water and body heat. Treat leather shoes after theinitial drying when performing this method. Regardless of how longyou've had the boots or shoes, once you take them off and they dry,they often shrink leaving you with a tighter shoe, which often leadsto blisters during the beginning stages of your hike. Most folks donot hike several days a week so their hiking boots often sit aroundafter the last; treat your shoes before you put them away, this willcause less shrinkage and protects the shoe.

Socks - Purchasing and care are oftenoverlooked; folks say well these are Darn Toughs so my feet should begood; wrong! My feet do not like Darn Tough were as they love SmartWool or Point Six (discontinued), and Under Armour. Try manydifferent socks to ensure you find the right brand for you. They areexpensive but worth their weight when you don't get blisters. Anklevs. crew actually makes a difference as does sock size. If your sockis to baggy when dry guess how baggy it gets when it becomes wet?! Wool vs. synthetic? Again, sweaty feet need breathe-ability andquick drying material. I often opt for a synthetic sock if theconditions warrant ensuring my dogs are somewhat dry at the end ofthe day. Figure out how many days in a row you can wear yours socksbefore you get blisters; my threshold is three days before I start toget hot spots. Salt will keep building up in the sock and eventuallywhen the sock stands on its own you will want to care for them, plusthe material in the sock will start breaking down. Once you get ahole get rid of the socks. A quick trail repair for holes; turn thesock inside out and put a piece of 100 mph tape or duct tape thereacting like a patch, turn sock right side out and wear. Try not towash your socks too often; washing too often will destroy your socksas will using the wrong temperature water.

OP, sorry for the lengthy explanation;I can write a book on this subject and if you need more informationor assistance, PM me.

AngryGerman
09-17-2013, 00:51
There are many things to consider when discussing blisters, blister control and foot care in general. Written below are some of my methods for the previously listed. I've walked thousands of miles, having great success with my feet in the process. On my last through hike I experienced five blisters in 2200 miles, four not even worthy of being called a blister and the fifth was healed by the next day. I've been lucky enough to pick up some tips and tricks along the way from some personal experience and the experienced. What I've learned is, there is no one secret to preventing blisters, I don't care what anyone says.

Foot preparation and care - Prepping your feet for blister control is a huge factor as well as continuous boot, sock and foot care while on your hikes. There are many factors causing one to get blisters, soft feet being one of them. As mentioned previously, walking barefoot whenever possible is one way to toughen the feet up. Also, not wearing socks with shoes helps in toughening the feet up. Periodically scrub the dead skin off your feet allowing for more to grow which will help build those pads up. For those with dry skin, lotion is a must. Please do yourself afavor, take your boots and socks off at the end of a hike and do no tput socks on for the rest of the evening; not even when you sleep. Let your feet air out and dry. If you have to take your shoes off to air out during the hike, plan accordingly. If you get hot spots, debris in the shoe, etc. stop and take that shoe off immediately. Knowing when to listen to the dogs barking is a learned trait. For blisters on the toes and heals, I've found that a high quality 100mph tape or duct tape works best; wrap some on your trek poles. When you do get a blister, sterilize a sewing needle, running thread through it. Take the needle and thread in hand and run it through the blister; cut the thread from the needle and leave the thread in the blister. You can leave it in overnight and if needed the next day. Blister will dry up and disappear; no joke! Wash your nasty feet at the end of each day. Salt buildup is going to cause irritation the next day of not cared for the evening before. The end of your hike today will determine the success of your hike tomorrow!

Shoe purchase - When purchasing shoes for your hikes, realize that if you have thousands of choices, a wide foot needs a shoe designed for wide feet; same for narrow and medium width. Shoe size and arch support is equally as important to the brand and or specific foot type. If you do not have flat feet already, as you hike your feet will flatten out and swell causing your shoes to tighten up. Even flat feet will swell minimally so plan accordingly, maybe a half size larger or a shoe designed with a bit more volume. Another consideration when purchasing hiking shoes,do the feet sweat profusely or are you a moderate to no sweat kind of person? Shoe breathe-ability is something folks don't really think about when purchasing and often is there sole down fall to their shoe purchase. I know I have hot feet so I buy shoes that allow my feet to breathe which reduces in the sweating, not by much though. On 20 milers my shoes often become soaking wet from the inside out, so I need lots of air movement!

Shoe break - Often a step that folks think is accomplished but often not. Before long hikes, I often wear the shoes in the shower, maybe a week prior, and then walk around with them on for the remainder of the day until they dry. For that entire week leading up to the hike, I wear my hiking shoes to allow them to finish forming to my foot. My method is sort of like breaking in a baseball glove with hot shaving cream and the oven, only I use water and body heat. Treat leather shoes after the initial drying when performing this method. Regardless of how long you've had the boots or shoes, once you take them off and they dry, they often shrink leaving you with a tighter shoe, which often leads to blisters during the beginning stages of your hike. Most folks do not hike several days a week so their hiking boots often sit around after the last; treat your shoes before you put them away, this will cause less shrinkage and protects the shoe.

Socks - Purchasing and care are often overlooked; folks say well these are Darn Toughs so my feet should be good; wrong! My feet do not like Darn Tough were as they love SmartWool or Point Six (discontinued), and Under Armour. Try many different socks to ensure you find the right brand for you. They are expensive but worth their weight when you don't get blisters. Ankle vs. crew actually makes a difference as does sock size. If your sock is to baggy when dry guess how baggy it gets when it becomes wet?! Wool vs. synthetic? Again, sweaty feet need breathe-ability and quick drying material. I often opt for a synthetic sock if the conditions warrant ensuring my dogs are somewhat dry at the end of the day. Figure out how many days in a row you can wear yours socks before you get blisters; my threshold is three days before I start to get hot spots. Salt will keep building up in the sock and eventually when the sock stands on its own you will want to care for them, plus the material in the sock will start breaking down. Once you get a hole get rid of the socks. A quick trail repair for holes; turn the sock inside out and put a piece of 100 mph tape or duct tape there acting like a patch, turn sock right side out and wear. Try not to wash your socks too often; washing too often will destroy your socks as will using the wrong temperature water.

OP, sorry for the lengthy explanation; I can write a book on this subject and if you need more information or assistance, PM me.

AngryGerman
09-17-2013, 00:53
HUH?! Sorry about the double post. Somehow the second is the same, but different!

Shonryu
09-17-2013, 03:38
Personally I use Salmon Speedcross with climashiled trail runners 1 size bigger than my normal. I put baby powder insode my shoes, wear a pair of Injiini toe sock liners. Sprinkle more baby powder and put a pair of midweight darn tough socks over them. I'm also an UL hiker but I never skimp on my socks. I usually carry one paor tonsleep in and a pair of ankle trail runningbsocks as back up. If it rains I try to swith out my socks midway through my day. I know its a cardinal sin to carry two pair but I perfer a clean pair to sleep in at night and if I need a 3rd pair I'll use my sleeping socks. I know my method is overkill but for someone who has lost a lot of toenails and had a lot of blisters since I took this approach I've never had an jssue again. If there's anything I've learned about backpacking its take care of your feet or they will take care of you lol. Hope you find a system that works for you.

Starchild
09-17-2013, 08:37
I use Vasoline at the first sign of a hot spot, I find it works better then bodyglide and is cheaper - but stick to the brand name, other cheaper ones don't have the same consistency and are too watery. Also a fire accelerate and can be used to cover small cuts, so multiuse.

Other then that, if it gets bad I will try removing my insole from my boot. While not a perfect solution, it does tend to shift the hotspots to different locations proving relief for a time after which the insoles go back in. And for toes rubbing I do find that this method does work very well.

I have seen hikers use their camp shoes while hiking.

All else fails just duct tape it up, and I will usually put vasoline over that to reduce the tendency of the sock/boot to rub against the tape, but make sure to clean any vasoline or bodyglide off the foot before applying the tape or the tape won't stick right.

slbirdnerd
09-17-2013, 14:48
Thanks, all, wow is this a hot subject! My Moabs are a women's 11, I wear a 10, and have narrow bony feet so I don't think the shoes need to be bigger. I do think they need to be different shoes, especially since they are starting to fall apart after probably only a couple hundred (usually easy) miles. I think trail runners, some toe lube, and liners are where I'll start. I am barefoot most of the time at home so my feet are tough, but nothing compares to backpacking on terrain I know that much. I'm committed to fixing the feet; other than that I felt great after 12 miles so I was pretty happy.