PDA

View Full Version : Yet another good reason to keep the IPhone buried in my pack while hiking.

Different Socks
09-16-2013, 20:33
I don't have a cell phone. It may be a good time before I actually get one.

It's that time of year that coworkers at my PT job like to stay updated on the football games even while at work. The assistant manager was seen numerous times checking the scores on his IPhone. No big deal, I look at the TV in the bar occasionally myself.

What shocked me was that he was watching a live broadcast of the game(s) on his tiny screen!!

I'm sorry folks, but unless you've been out for days and days and it's been raining hours and hours each day, I don't want to have access to or be anywhere near anyone that is idling away their time by watching a sports game, sitcom, movie, or the news.

I have everythng else to look at, taste, hear, experience, smell and feel. Not to mention the fact that the silence of the woods could be interrupted by..........TOUCHDOWN!! YES!!! WAHOO!!!

Not saying ya gotta agree with me, I'm just saying what I feel.

geomaniac
09-16-2013, 20:38
Amen Brother, I totally agree, I go to the woods to get away from all of the noise and confusion of the city. I used to have a buddy who always wanted to bring a TV with us camping..I always refused telling him that he may as well stay home if he was just going to watch TV in the woods. I didnt want any part of it!

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2013, 20:45
Part of the issue here is clearly our age... as we get older we are not interested in new things and entertainment at our fingertips... Understandable that we as a group can look up things... keep in touch and reach out to another....
Two days ago I got into a Scion and it was stick and a salesman older than I was behind me and more portly. It was like being 19 again... oh wow... I tore it up patched and did a 180 and my wife was giddy as a schoolgirl behind the wheel- the young bucks have no idea what a stick can do... well most of them... The salesman was "lets do more! kind of attitude... we had a good time and bought a far more practical Ford Escape Hybrid after the test... because we could spend a little more and receive better value..

My point is we can now carry our "wireless" phones and ask them to do things we could not have imagined... I can get radio or books at my fingertips I can ask my phone to record an accident or human event.

The genie is clearly out of the bottle and you are attempting to put the stopper back... embrace or reject .. that is your decision.

rocketsocks
09-16-2013, 20:47
I hear ya DS. Personally...don't care.....bring a TV, don't bring a TV, smell the roses or don't smell the roses. As long as a person doesn't impose their values on others, and follows the "Golden Rule" do what you want.

Theosus
09-16-2013, 20:58
If you're getting scores on your phone in the woods, you're not far enough back there...

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 21:03
Part of the issue here is clearly our age... as we get older we are not interested in new things and entertainment at our fingertips... Understandable that we as a group can look up things... keep in touch and reach out to another....
Two days ago I got into a Scion and it was stick and a salesman older than I was behind me and more portly. It was like being 19 again... oh wow... I tore it up patched and did a 180 and my wife was giddy as a schoolgirl behind the wheel- the young bucks have no idea what a stick can do... well most of them... The salesman was "lets do more! kind of attitude... we had a good time and bought a far more practical Ford Escape Hybrid after the test... because we could spend a little more and receive better value..

My point is we can now carry our "wireless" phones and ask them to do things we could not have imagined... I can get radio or books at my fingertips I can ask my phone to record an accident or human event.

The genie is clearly out of the bottle and you are attempting to put the stopper back... embrace or reject .. that is your decision.
coulda bought a chevy:eek:

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 21:06
i was happy to have absolutely no phone service in maine last week.i,too enjoy disconnecting.
electronics however are very much a part of todays at culture, and as woo, suggests, its unavoidable.
fortunately there are plenty of wild places you can still hike undisturbed by football scores or musical ones

ChinMusic
09-16-2013, 21:14
Pffffffft

I can chew gum and walk

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 21:16
Pffffffft

I can chew gum and walk
dont you have one more hill to climb?

ChinMusic
09-16-2013, 21:21
dont you have one more hill to climb?
Yeah. And I'll make some posts from up there too.....;)

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 21:23
Yeah. And I'll make some posts from up there too.....;)
really happy for you.great hike. great journal. and checking in with us here has been an added delight.

max patch
09-16-2013, 21:31
coulda bought a chevy:eek:

He's old enough to remember the Vega.

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2013, 21:37
Pffffffft

I can chew gum and walk

incredibly PITHY and I love it... great response!

quasarr
09-16-2013, 22:48
Technology is making everyone weak!! This guy knows the right way to watch TV on the trail :banana

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1379025997_88933.jpg

Different Socks
09-16-2013, 23:07
Technology is making everyone weak!! This guy knows the right way to watch TV on the trail :banana

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1379025997_88933.jpg

And the weight distribution is all wrong!

hikerboy57
09-16-2013, 23:09
And the weight distribution is all wrong!
not really,his power source, the lithium ion battery in his pack, weighs 80 lbs

Astro
09-17-2013, 00:22

Better than the Pinto and the exploding gas tank. :rolleyes:

LIhikers
09-17-2013, 16:04

Remember the Vega? I owned one! :)

Hot Flash
09-17-2013, 16:45
I'm sorry folks, but unless you've been out for days and days and it's been raining hours and hours each day, I don't want to have access to or be anywhere near anyone that is idling away their time by watching a sports game, sitcom, movie, or the news.

If you don't like it you can put on your pack and hike away from whatever is annoying you. Seriously, what is with all the complaining on these boards about how others enjoy their time outside? If that person is disturbing the sleep of a shelter with their electronic device, that's one thing that is a legitimate complaint. But if they're minding their own business, using headphones, and not keeping people awake, then **** and hike your own hike like they are.

Different Socks
09-17-2013, 17:01
If you don't like it you can put on your pack and hike away from whatever is annoying you. Seriously, what is with all the complaining on these boards about how others enjoy their time outside? If that person is disturbing the sleep of a shelter with their electronic device, that's one thing that is a legitimate complaint. But if they're minding their own business, using headphones, and not keeping people awake, then **** and hike your own hike like they are.

My guess is you are one of those people that text and drive b/c you believe if I haven't had an accident yet, I won't.
And why should I be forced to choose the option to go somewhere else for the peace and quiet of the outdoors when it was their unforced option to bring the device AND use it?

trainhopper
09-17-2013, 17:28
I know if I was hiking the trail in the fall I would love to be able to take a break and watch my favorite football team play. I don't see the big deal. You can still go see, smell, and feel anything you want. In fact, watching it on their phone would be a very minimal distraction to others.

If I am the first to arrive at a shelter in the summer you can guarantee that a baseball game will be on my radio for everyone else to hear. If you don't like it you can move on. If I was not the first, I would ask what the others thought of it. If someone objected then I would plug my headphones in and listen to it that way. Usually the only thing stopping me from having a few drinks and listening to a game at night is dead batteries. It is something that I really enjoy after a long day of hiking.

I certainly don't expect others to get the same enjoyment that I get from this. But if you told me that you don't want to be in the same shelter as someone who is wasting their time listening to a baseball game, you would definitely not like what I had to say to you after this. If the case is that you can't be around someone that gets enjoyment out of something you disagree with, you should probably sleep alone every night.

Rasty
09-17-2013, 17:44
My guess is you are one of those people that text and drive b/c you believe if I haven't had an accident yet, I won't.
And why should I be forced to choose the option to go somewhere else for the peace and quiet of the outdoors when it was their unforced option to bring the device AND use it?

Really? Equating the use of a cell phone in the woods to texting while driving is just silly.

OzJacko
09-17-2013, 21:00
Phones are here to stay.
I equate not having headphones in any electronic device with smoking.
Don't do it in shelters etc without the consensus of all around you.
Not everyone views hiking as akin to becoming a hermit.
The vast majority of cell phone use nowadays is silent keying and reading of journals, emails etc.
The loud one sided conversations of early phones rarely occur and can be legitimately complained about.

WOO - you should have bought the Scion - my son has the equivalent Subaru (the BRZ).

ChinMusic
09-17-2013, 21:27
Why am I forced to read responses from people who obviously didn't read the post they are responding to?

HikerMom58
09-17-2013, 21:30
Phones are here to stay.
I equate not having headphones in any electronic device with smoking.
Don't do it in shelters etc without the consensus of all around you.
Not everyone views hiking as akin to becoming a hermit.
The vast majority of cell phone use nowadays is silent keying and reading of journals, emails etc.
The loud one sided conversations of early phones rarely occur and can be legitimately complained about.

WOO - you should have bought the Scion - my son has the equivalent Subaru (the BRZ).

You don't say OZ..... lol ;) I could never be a hermit... never!

Different Socks
09-17-2013, 22:10
Knowing the subject of what my OP was, I still put in that I wasn't looking for agreement:

"Not saying ya gotta agree with me, I'm just saying what I feel".

and yet that is still what this OP has become. One of the replies even said that having all the tech with you and using it no matter how it affects others is just the way of utilizing HYOH.
Seriously folks, if you're sitting in a shelter watching a football game, a movie, a TV show, what was the reason for leaving your home/the bar for getting outside to begin with? Music is one thing, headphones are normally used. But I don't want the outdoor experience I came out for to be rattled by the unnatural sounds of a person agreeing or disagreeing with whatever is the moving picture on their IPhone.

capehiker
09-17-2013, 22:15
If I am the first to arrive at a shelter in the summer you can guarantee that a baseball game will be on my radio for everyone else to hear. If you don't like it you can move on. If I was not the first, I would ask what the others thought of it. If someone objected then I would plug my headphones in and listen to it that way. Usually the only thing stopping me from having a few drinks and listening to a game at night is dead batteries. It is something that I really enjoy after a long day of hiking.

So, you're saying if you're the first one to arrive at a campsite you get to make the rules for others to follow?

ams212001
09-17-2013, 22:23
So, you're saying if you're the first one to arrive at a campsite you get to make the rules for others to follow?

yeah.........?

Rasty
09-17-2013, 22:27
Knowing the subject of what my OP was, I still put in that I wasn't looking for agreement:

and yet that is still what this OP has become. One of the replies even said that having all the tech with you and using it no matter how it affects others is just the way of utilizing HYOH.
Seriously folks, if you're sitting in a shelter watching a football game, a movie, a TV show, what was the reason for leaving your home/the bar for getting outside to begin with? Music is one thing, headphones are normally used. But I don't want the outdoor experience I came out for to be rattled by the unnatural sounds of a person agreeing or disagreeing with whatever is the moving picture on their IPhone.

Your staying in a three sided wooden structure to get away from your four sided wooden structure and this is getting away from it all? :)

hikerboy57
09-17-2013, 22:37
tough to get away from it all on one of the most highly trafficked trails in the country.

Rasty
09-17-2013, 22:45
Why am I forced to read responses from people who obviously didn't read the post they are responding to?

10K's reading comprehension thread should be required reading before being allowed to post. Well at least you should skim the thread for the highlights as reading the whole thing is way too much effort. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79727-Reading-comprehension-and-replying-to-a-thread

Different Socks
09-17-2013, 22:51
Your staying in a three sided wooden structure to get away from your four sided wooden structure and this is getting away from it all? :)

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I didn't put in tent, or overlook, or tarp, or cave, or middle of a forest, or ends of the earth, yet someone had to pick out that one thing and razz me about it.
Let me give aanother example: I was hking the PCT in northern CA(Marble Mtn area), had tunes with me and a great song came on from one of my fave bands. I began singing as loud as I could, not caring if I was heard or not. About 1/2 mile further I reached a lake to camp at and a few others were there as well--equestrians, hikers. ALL OF THEM said they could hear me siging for the last 5 min or so, and none of them were happy about it. Having the music didn't bother them, it was inflicting my HYOH onto them that was unappreciated. I was not welcome to tent anywhere near any of the others and it didn't matter if I continued signing or not. In other words, I took something away from them that was part of the experience and reason for being there in the first place.

That is what I am saying about watching something on your IPhone, or singing out loud so others can hear you, or cheering your team on, or having a one sided conversation on your cell phone. Many, if not everyone, around you would not like that situation to deal with b/c it's one of the possible reasons they went to the woods/mtns/swamp/hills/glen/lake/meadow/etc to begin with.

Rasty
09-17-2013, 22:55
I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I didn't put in tent, or overlook, or tarp, or cave, or middle of a forest, or ends of the earth, yet someone had to pick out that one thing and razz me about it.
Let me give aanother example: I was hking the PCT in northern CA(Marble Mtn area), had tunes with me and a great song came on from one of my fave bands. I began singing as loud as I could, not caring if I was heard or not. About 1/2 mile further I reached a lake to camp at and a few others were there as well--equestrians, hikers. ALL OF THEM said they could hear me siging for the last 5 min or so, and none of them were happy about it. Having the music didn't bother them, it was inflicting my HYOH onto them that was unappreciated. I was not welcome to tent anywhere near any of the others and it didn't matter if I continued signing or not. In other words, I took something away from them that was part of the experience and reason for being there in the first place.

That is what I am saying about watching something on your IPhone, or singing out loud so others can hear you, or cheering your team on, or having a one sided conversation on your cell phone. Many, if not everyone, around you would not like that situation to deal with b/c it's one of the possible reasons they went to the woods/mtns/swamp/hills/glen/lake/meadow/etc to begin with.

In Merika your still allowed to sing out loud. If they don't like you expressing your freedom of speech that must be that your a terrible singer or something?

Miner
09-18-2013, 00:51
Trust me, it won't be a big issue... You don't know how many cracked Iphone screens I saw on the AT last year in Maine from the Nobos. Most hikers won't be watching anything for long with how easy those displays break. Well, the androids seemed a bit more durable so they might be a problem, but I read a tech survey earlier this year that said that Iphone users were more likely to be heavy app users, so that should take care of the majority of those that would inflict their entertainmemt... err hike on others. Though if they use some earphones and sat in the corner away from everyone, no one would know or care what they did.

trainhopper
09-18-2013, 01:29

I am actually not making any rules. I am a very easy going person and could care less what others do as long as you are not obstructing someone's freedom. I do not see what is wrong with playing my radio at a shelter if I was the first to arrive. If you were to stroll along after I was set up with the radio playing and began preaching to me that I am defeating the point of hiking by listening to baseball I would absolutely take offense to it. I would in fact tell them that I set up here first and I am listening to the game. If you don't want to listen you can keep going.

This does not mean I would not be understanding to others. If you came in late night and I still had the radio on I would not hesitate to turn it off if I saw someone was going to bed. I would even turn it off or put headphones on if someone made a reasonable request like people want to share trail stories or jam out on a guitar, regardless of the time of day. But yes, I do believe being the first one to a shelter or campsite gives you more of a say on certain things than those that arrive later.

ams212001
09-18-2013, 01:42
I am actually not making any rules. I am a very easy going person and could care less what others do as long as you are not obstructing someone's freedom. I do not see what is wrong with playing my radio at a shelter if I was the first to arrive. If you were to stroll along after I was set up with the radio playing and began preaching to me that I am defeating the point of hiking by listening to baseball I would absolutely take offense to it. I would in fact tell them that I set up here first and I am listening to the game. If you don't want to listen you can keep going.

This does not mean I would not be understanding to others. If you came in late night and I still had the radio on I would not hesitate to turn it off if I saw someone was going to bed. I would even turn it off or put headphones on if someone made a reasonable request like people want to share trail stories or jam out on a guitar, regardless of the time of day. But yes, I do believe being the first one to a shelter or campsite gives you more of a say on certain things than those that arrive later.

So if I am the first to arrive at a shelter and lay my stuff everywhere it is alright to for me tell people to move on because I was there first? Sorry, you are in a community space and respect does not matter if it is day or night. If someone politely asked you at noon to put in earphones to listen to the game I don't think the "I was here first" response would go over well. Just because you are first in no way shape or form give you more say.

ChinMusic
09-18-2013, 06:44

This is one of the most idiotic posts I have seen in a long time. Being first gives you ZERO such rights.

OzJacko
09-18-2013, 07:14
This is one of the most idiotic posts I have seen in a long time. Being first gives you ZERO such rights.
+1
The shelters are shared space.
Just as you shouldn't smoke inside a shelter you shouldn't play music or make loud calls etc unless ALL agree.
Being first at a shelter ensures you have space in the shelter NOT control of it.

OzJacko
09-18-2013, 07:16
For the record I listened to many baseball games using my little radio and earbud speakers.
I found it so dead boring it never failed to get me to sleep quickly.;)

PeaPicker
09-18-2013, 08:49
I know if I was hiking the trail in the fall I would love to be able to take a break and watch my favorite football team play. I don't see the big deal. You can still go see, smell, and feel anything you want. In fact, watching it on their phone would be a very minimal distraction to others.

I certainly don't expect others to get the same enjoyment that I get from this. But if you told me that you don't want to be in the same shelter as someone who is wasting their time listening to a baseball game, you would definitely not like what I had to say to you after this. If the case is that you can't be around someone that gets enjoyment out of something you disagree with, you should probably sleep alone every night.

APPALACHIAN TRAIL ETIQUETTE
On the trail, as in life, good manners go far. Here's how to behave:
1. Don't lecture Give advice only to those who request it of you.
2. Be considerate If you snore, travel with a dog, play music loudly, talk on the phone, go to bed really early, wake up really early, smoke, sleep naked, or dislike being around others, consider tenting rather than sleeping at shelters–you'll be the king of your own castle and you won't see nasty things written about you in shelter logs.
3. Share Never spread out in a shelter to prevent others from using it, and never consume the entire contents of a Trail Angel's cooler by yourself. And remember: There's always room for one more in a shelter during a storm.
4. Protect the water Drink upstream, do everything else downstream. Don't foul the water for your fellow hikers by walking, bathing, or dishwashing at the source of a spring or a stream crossing.
5. Pack it out You're not being altruistic by leaving extra food at a shelter for "someone else." It just invites scavenging animals. Many trail town businesses have "hiker boxes" for this type of sharing.
6. Be grateful Hitches, hostels, angels, and trail maintenance are just some of the supports built into the AT that rely on the generosity of others. You already smell bad–don't make it worse.
8. Respect privacy It's very hard to lose someone while walking 3 mph on a one-foot-wide trail. Don't assume that anyone wants to merge itineraries for the next six months, and if you pick up an unwanted tag-along, don't spend your hike ducking behind logs–just be honest.
9. Don't complain Of course it sucks that your boot soles fell off halfway through Pennsylvania. Look at the bright side: You're not at work! –Peter "Wicked Lobstah" Rives, 2004 AT thru-hiker

fredmugs
09-18-2013, 09:59

Some people like to go for a stroll. Others like to go for a troll.

wornoutboots
09-18-2013, 10:06
For those with many many miles under there tread, there's been a long standing Obvious Unwritten Rule, You NEVER pull out & use a cell phone within earshot of any others at camp. It's Really that simple.

Odd Man Out
09-18-2013, 12:47
I'm old school. When I need a new phone, I go to the phone store and ask for one that can make phone calls. That gets some confused looks.

Rasty
09-18-2013, 13:36
I'm old school. When I need a new phone, I go to the phone store and ask for one that can make phone calls. That gets some confused looks.

Do they offer you a JitterBug?

A.T.Lt
09-18-2013, 13:45
Im a Jets fan...the last thing I want is the score to ruin my day.

ChinMusic
09-18-2013, 13:58
Speaking of football, I watched my local HS football team live via wifi the last three Fridays. Stratton, Monson, and Millinocket ME.

On a thru you can set your own itinerary. HYOH at its best.

trainhopper
09-20-2013, 00:57
So if I am the first to arrive at a shelter and lay my stuff everywhere it is alright to for me tell people to move on because I was there first? Sorry, you are in a community space and respect does not matter if it is day or night. If someone politely asked you at noon to put in earphones to listen to the game I don't think the "I was here first" response would go over well. Just because you are first in no way shape or form give you more say.

Read what I said. I would not be looking for a confrontation if someone made a reasonable request. However, if you came in with a bad attitude saying something like "your radio defeats the purpose of hiking, your not out here for the right reason", or anything to that regard I would take a different approach. I would tell them I am not making them stay so feel free to move on if you don't like the radio. I am a very easy person to get along with. But people who come in thinking their way is the only way pisses me off. So I would stand my grounds on the basis that I was there first.

And you can't say being first doesn't give you some rights. If I set up my spot against a wall first, then someone comes in asking for that spot because that is where they always sleep, should I give it up or flip for it? If I am at a shelter that has a fire pit and someone comes in after I get a fire going requesting that I put it out because they can't sleep with a fire, should I put it out? Even though I hiked to this spot just so I could enjoy a fire.

I guess I am just going to have to disagree here. Again, I am a very considerate person and would be respectful to most requests. It just bothers me when people say things like why would anyone do this on a hike it defeats the point. There is plenty of space on the AT where you can avoid cell phones and technology every night if you would like. But to tell someone else using technology they are wrong is just ridiculous.

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2013, 01:07
Better than the Pinto and the exploding gas tank. :rolleyes:

The Pinto is one of the ballsiest cars I've ever been in!

...Well it was after my father in law dropped a 351 Cleveland and a hurst 5-speed into it. :eek:

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2013, 01:10
For those with many many miles under there tread, there's been a long standing Obvious Unwritten Rule, You NEVER pull out & use a cell phone within earshot of any others at camp. It's Really that simple.

Guilty. I also prefer to drink good wine straight out of the bottle and show up on opening day of trout season with a fly rod and live bait. I have come to accept that I enjoy doing it all wrong. ;)

ams212001
09-20-2013, 04:25

Refer to Trail Etiquette #2, but replace the word music with sports game. I could care less if you want to have electronics. If it helps you and your hike go for it. However, you should already have your headphones in. People shouldn't have to ask to not listen to your game. That is going to cause far less problems than you playing the game for everyone to hear.... Playing your game loudly is going to cause more issues than just avoiding the problem in the first place.

If someone approached you while you were listening to game with your headphones on I would agree that it is their issue not yours.

APPALACHIAN TRAIL ETIQUETTE
On the trail, as in life, good manners go far. Here's how to behave:
1. Don't lecture Give advice only to those who request it of you.
2. Be considerate If you snore, travel with a dog, play music loudly, talk on the phone, go to bed really early, wake up really early, smoke, sleep naked, or dislike being around others, consider tenting rather than sleeping at shelters–you'll be the king of your own castle and you won't see nasty things written about you in shelter logs.
3. Share Never spread out in a shelter to prevent others from using it, and never consume the entire contents of a Trail Angel's cooler by yourself. And remember: There's always room for one more in a shelter during a storm.
4. Protect the water Drink upstream, do everything else downstream. Don't foul the water for your fellow hikers by walking, bathing, or dishwashing at the source of a spring or a stream crossing.
5. Pack it out You're not being altruistic by leaving extra food at a shelter for "someone else." It just invites scavenging animals. Many trail town businesses have "hiker boxes" for this type of sharing.
6. Be grateful Hitches, hostels, angels, and trail maintenance are just some of the supports built into the AT that rely on the generosity of others. You already smell bad–don't make it worse.
8. Respect privacy It's very hard to lose someone while walking 3 mph on a one-foot-wide trail. Don't assume that anyone wants to merge itineraries for the next six months, and if you pick up an unwanted tag-along, don't spend your hike ducking behind logs–just be honest.
9. Don't complain Of course it sucks that your boot soles fell off halfway through Pennsylvania. Look at the bright side: You're not at work! –Peter "Wicked Lobstah" Rives, 2004 AT thru-hiker

Read what I said. I would not be looking for a confrontation if someone made a reasonable request. However, if you came in with a bad attitude saying something like "your radio defeats the purpose of hiking, your not out here for the right reason", or anything to that regard I would take a different approach. I would tell them I am not making them stay so feel free to move on if you don't like the radio. I am a very easy person to get along with. But people who come in thinking their way is the only way pisses me off. So I would stand my grounds on the basis that I was there first.

And you can't say being first doesn't give you some rights. If I set up my spot against a wall first, then someone comes in asking for that spot because that is where they always sleep, should I give it up or flip for it? If I am at a shelter that has a fire pit and someone comes in after I get a fire going requesting that I put it out because they can't sleep with a fire, should I put it out? Even though I hiked to this spot just so I could enjoy a fire.

I guess I am just going to have to disagree here. Again, I am a very considerate person and would be respectful to most requests. It just bothers me when people say things like why would anyone do this on a hike it defeats the point. There is plenty of space on the AT where you can avoid cell phones and technology every night if you would like. But to tell someone else using technology they are wrong is just ridiculous.

There is a huge difference between playing your game loudly and people having to ask you to not play it out loud and getting a spot at a shelter first. You are talking about common activities/expectations at a community shelter vs personal activity. Huge difference.

kayak karl
09-20-2013, 08:37
The Pinto is one of the ballsiest cars I've ever been in!

...Well it was after my father in law dropped a 351 Cleveland and a hurst 5-speed into it. :eek:
put a 351 windsor in mine. it left a path in a corn field, with a trail of wheels, side-pipes and bumpers behind :(

Mags
09-20-2013, 09:00
After reading all these posts, not sure if I'd want to hike the AT again. ;)

(Though I am longer overdue for a longish-New England hike!. Damn work thing ;) )

Rasty
09-20-2013, 09:21

(Though I am longer overdue for a longish-New England hike!. Damn work thing ;) )

Just hike from October to February.

marti038
09-20-2013, 09:28
I went hiking in north GA over Labor Day weekend, but took a radio along to listen to the Bama vs. Va Tech game. Camped out at that spot about a mile north of Woody Gap (I think it's called preacher rock?). There were several people there picnicking and just enjoying the view. I used headphones because I assumed most folks who really cared about the game would be at home watching it. It was a very enjoyable experience, because how often do I get to combine two things I enjoy...college football and hiking?

Anyhow, about 30 minutes into the game this fella comes running up (this looked like his first trail run) and squats next to us to go through his "workout routine". He's doing pilotis and crunches and these awkward arobics that quite honestly made me uncomfortable to have to watch (his shorts and tank top didn't cover enough of his lilly white skin for flopping around on the ground like a fish out of water). It was sort of ruining the moment.

Anywho, my point is if you're considerate of others, then what's the problem with having "modern" stuff? The newness of something doesn't make it offensive, it's usually the person using it. I bet some of the through hikers from the 60s and 70s would toss stones at some of these new-fangled internal frame packs us young bucks are hauling around. Don’t like it? Fine. I’ll still let you borrow my phone if you have an emergency.

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2013, 09:53

Don't be scared off by stuff that you read on Internet forums. Most people that regularly post to these things are full of crap. :eek: :D

Mags
09-20-2013, 11:05
Just hike from October to February.

Maybe in November down south, but I'd rather be on SW desert trail in October - early November.

Dec - February is of course prime ski season here. Can't miss that!

Rasty
09-20-2013, 13:19
Maybe in November down south, but I'd rather be on SW desert trail in October - early November.

Dec - February is of course prime ski season here. Can't miss that!

Maybe try to fit in the last week of September!

Mags
09-20-2013, 15:50
Maybe try to fit in the last week of September!

That would be awesome.

Kicker is, I am going to New England in mid-October. Alas, it is for a family wedding. I have yet to land and my family and friends have already booked all my time! :)

Don't be scared off by stuff that you read on Internet forums. Most people that regularly post to these things are full of crap. :eek: :D

Myself included! :D

AngryGerman
09-20-2013, 21:20
10K's reading comprehension thread should be required reading before being allowed to post. Well at least you should skim the thread for the highlights as reading the whole thing is way too much effort. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79727-Reading-comprehension-and-replying-to-a-thread
Agreed with the above completely! With that being said, I don't own a cellphone now nor did I have one when on the trail. I personally feel the same way about cells, but it seems our "ways" are becoming a thing of the distant past. If I really needed a cellphone somebody always had one around when on the trail. I really tried to not let the cellphone thing bother my hike and if one was to get a bit annoying with theirs I, in a polite way, asked if they could take it elsewhere. Most folks usually comply peacefully with most not realizing that it is bothersome to others; it's what they are used to.

hikerboy57
09-20-2013, 21:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH69YcExBfZj727 JYR9IYT49&index=3&feature=inp-em-w92-02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH69YcExBfZj727JYR9IYT49&index=3&feature=inp-em-w92-02

hikerboy57
09-20-2013, 21:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J877zVWg2Qs&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH69YcExBfZj727 JYR9IYT49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J877zVWg2Qs&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH69YcExBfZj727JYR9IYT49

trainhopper
09-25-2013, 01:36
Refer to Trail Etiquette #2, but replace the word music with sports game. I could care less if you want to have electronics. If it helps you and your hike go for it. However, you should already have your headphones in. People shouldn't have to ask to not listen to your game. That is going to cause far less problems than you playing the game for everyone to hear.... Playing your game loudly is going to cause more issues than just avoiding the problem in the first place.

If someone approached you while you were listening to game with your headphones on I would agree that it is their issue not yours.

There is a huge difference between playing your game loudly and people having to ask you to not play it out loud and getting a spot at a shelter first. You are talking about common activities/expectations at a community shelter vs personal activity. Huge difference.

I guess I just personally approach situations like this differently. Several times I have been on long distance hikes with a friend or two when we approach a shelter that is already occupied. I personally (my friends felt the same way) would never go up to an individual or a group who has already occupied a shelter pointing out this rule and that rule, in an effort to make them change their behavior. Obviously some extreme cases would require me to say something, i.e. lighting a fire in an extreme drought. One specific example was at a shelter on the Northville-Placid trail in the Adirondacks. We came up to a group of 4 who occupied a shelter before we arrived. They had came in by canoe so they had lots of beer and food, as well as a radio. They had the radio playing and were looking to party and have a good time. We didn't think twice about what we were going to do. We found a spot slightly down the river where we could pitch our tents. We never thought to ourselves "we hiked 20 miles today we should cram in the shelter together and make them turn the radio off." They were there first and made it quite clear what they intended to do that night.

Again, this is how I personally go about these situations. I understand there is trail etiquette and ways you should be respectful. Were the four people who arrived at the shelter before us respectful? You could argue that they were not. No one in my party was offended or questioning their behavior. We actually talked to them the next morning and it turns out they were a bachelor party. I just feel that too many people today are so easily offended by minor things.

As for my stance on the radio. The rule reads don't play music (radio) loudly, not don't play music (radio) out loud. I will continue to play my radio out loud if I (or my party) arrives at a shelter first. I find it silly to put my headphones on before anyone else arrives to avoid a confrontation. When someone arrives I will now ask if they mind the radio. If they do object I will be polite and turn it off or put headphones on.

Lastly, if someone is minding their own business on a phone or computer (no volume or talking out loud) and this bothers you, then you are the problem. Maybe you went on this hike to get away from modern technology. You have no idea why many others are on this hike. What if they are checking in with family for encouragement to stay clean from an addiction. Again, it seems people get offended over issues that are far too small.

Different Socks
09-25-2013, 04:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH69YcExBfZj727 JYR9IYT49&index=3&feature=inp-em-w92-02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8&list=PLbpi6ZahtOH69YcExBfZj727JYR9IYT49&index=3&feature=inp-em-w92-02

I so totally agree with this video, thank you!! What she saw/encountered, it happens to me wherever I go and whatever I am dojng. THAT is what I am talking about in regards to technology taking control of our lives. It's okay with me if you want to watch something on your IPhone, but use headphones and if you are going to act out your joy or frustration due to what you are reading or hearing, do it away from others. Why? Because of the impact and affect you would have on others just as it happens to the lady in this video.

HikerMom58
09-25-2013, 09:00
I guess I just personally approach situations like this differently. Several times I have been on long distance hikes with a friend or two when we approach a shelter that is already occupied. I personally (my friends felt the same way) would never go up to an individual or a group who has already occupied a shelter pointing out this rule and that rule, in an effort to make them change their behavior. Obviously some extreme cases would require me to say something, i.e. lighting a fire in an extreme drought. One specific example was at a shelter on the Northville-Placid trail in the Adirondacks. We came up to a group of 4 who occupied a shelter before we arrived. They had came in by canoe so they had lots of beer and food, as well as a radio. They had the radio playing and were looking to party and have a good time. We didn't think twice about what we were going to do. We found a spot slightly down the river where we could pitch our tents. We never thought to ourselves "we hiked 20 miles today we should cram in the shelter together and make them turn the radio off." They were there first and made it quite clear what they intended to do that night.

Again, this is how I personally go about these situations. I understand there is trail etiquette and ways you should be respectful. Were the four people who arrived at the shelter before us respectful? You could argue that they were not. No one in my party was offended or questioning their behavior. We actually talked to them the next morning and it turns out they were a bachelor party. I just feel that too many people today are so easily offended by minor things.

As for my stance on the radio. The rule reads don't play music (radio) loudly, not don't play music (radio) out loud. I will continue to play my radio out loud if I (or my party) arrives at a shelter first. I find it silly to put my headphones on before anyone else arrives to avoid a confrontation. When someone arrives I will now ask if they mind the radio. If they do object I will be polite and turn it off or put headphones on.

Lastly, if someone is minding their own business on a phone or computer (no volume or talking out loud) and this bothers you, then you are the problem. Maybe you went on this hike to get away from modern technology. You have no idea why many others are on this hike. What if they are checking in with family for encouragement to stay clean from an addiction. Again, it seems people get offended over issues that are far too small.

It's interesting how reading someone's post makes you think about how you feel about this subject, yourself. I read this post by trainhopper and went BINGO!! I agree 100%.

The video posted by HB, to me, just points out how some people are just being selfish & are in 2 themselves. The use of the cell phone (electronics) is not a reflection on the devices themselves but just give people a new/different way to "check out". In the past, people found other ways to do it. The cell phone makes it soo much easier. It's very sad. I would never "blame" the cell phone. Look beyond the obvious...... I always ask the next question, "Why"????

SoulSista
01-09-2014, 21:44
I don't take any more electronics into the woods than I have to. I do carry a phone, mostly due to my hubby worrying about me. Otherwise, I feel there is plenty enough around me to see and do that I don't need any extra outside entertainment. I go into the woods to get away from all of that. I certainly don't want to listen to someone's football game at a shelter when I'm expecting peace and quiet. But hey, to each their own, right?

mainelydave
01-09-2014, 23:41

ah, the Vega - the car made out of compressed rust.

Dogwood
01-10-2014, 01:09
Have you ever noticed those who claim they have to stay "connected" one way always do it at the expense of disconnecting in other ways?