PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 02:33
I have currently been awake for over 54 hours. No I am not on Crack.
Third shift job + my sister just had a baby(Josephine Elenore)+ My other sisters car broke down, had to fix + I keep waking up with a pinched nerve. It sucks but it has given me alot of time for Whiteblaze, and the flashing lights and tracers are kind of cool too!
Just taking a moment for self pity, and apologies for any incoherant blathering in the past 2 days.

MedicineMan
01-06-2003, 02:42
I work graveyard 7 days in a row then off 7 days....so I know about no sleep for extended periods of time! Benadryl has become a friend indeed, chased by a 16oz. beer sleep will come---just dont get near anything powered or that moves!

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 03:33
I've got a CDL. Officialy trained to drive without sleep, and to rewright the log book!
Scary but true.

SGT Rock
01-06-2003, 05:19
It happens to us all occasionaly.

RagingHampster
01-06-2003, 09:19
I also work nights 6 days a week, saturday night off only.

I've been up for 30 hours now. I have black velvet curtains, and a fan I keep on high (which drowns out all other noises and helps me sleep). You definetly make good money beating yourself to crap, but it sure does catch up with you...

I sleep all over the place whenever I can. At home, my dads, a friends house, etc. In fact I got rid of my bed about a year and a half ago, and just use my Therm-A-Rest with a nice cushy pillow and a fleece blanket.

July 31st I'm done though, and free to sleep whenever I choose!

Uncle Wayne
01-06-2003, 09:23
Redbeard, Simva2020, RagingHampster

I've worked third shift for almost 19 years and know how you feel. There are times I'll go 36 hours without batting an eye, sleep 5 or 6 hours and then be ready to go. Weird. It makes for long nights in the shelters though.

smokymtnsteve
01-06-2003, 10:06
percodan for me..works likea dream..

redbeard I too drove a truck for 8 years back in the late 80's early 90's...did a lot of new york city, boston, and up thru maine and nova scotia..

interstate 80 don't give me any sleep ...

justa winking and a blinking ...

witha a stinking load of sheep!!!

SkyKing
01-06-2003, 21:16
Redbeard, Simva2020, RagingHampster....

Redbeard....drove a truck for EVER. ALWAYS rewrote the LOOSE-LEAF logbooks to suit ME! Worked many graveyards and swing-shifts.

Simva2020....the beer made me go peeeeeee many times thru the day/night. Still drank them tho! :D

RagingHampster....yep..got the blackout curtins. Used to play all kinds of noise but living out in the BOONIES all I hear is the BA-BOOM BA-BOOM BA-BOOM of those freeken low riders goning bye!! Or my neighbor mowing or baleing hay.

FYI! Sometimes those "left handed" cig's come in handy. :cool:

SkyKing
01-06-2003, 21:21
smokymtnsteve....

Yep....I-80 SUCKS!!!! Always winking-n-blinking and riden-n-guiden!
And don't forget....running your mouth on the CB!

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 21:39
Yup, I 80 runs right thru my town in Illinois. I didn't long haul for long though, hoping to get some cushy fix-it job in the "GAK!" suburbs, going for an HVAC too.
Everyone says "Why don't you be a park ranger?" There are no park rangers! Well, a few. I work at a State park lodge,(not on state pay, because of my 2 months on the trail I'll be below the poverty rate.)
and all we have are Conservation Police, and they don't hire long hair
bearded hiker trash!

SkyKing
01-06-2003, 22:25
Redbeard,

Know what ya mean bout long hair/beard BRO! :D Thank GOD Mom Nature blessed me with little hair. :) Was down to shoulder till 80'..now bout 1/4 inch. Sooooo much better!
Gave up a Flying career to drive a FREKIN 18 wheeler. That was in the EARLY 70's. Ended up getting 2 electronics degrees but settled on farming and a cushie woodworking any-time-off-job. Now just need to FINISH remodling house then will be ready for MEGA-TIME on the trail.
Good luck in your choise of career.

Lone Wolf
04-08-2010, 01:17
I have currently been awake for over 54 hours. No I am not on Crack.
Third shift job + my sister just had a baby(Josephine Elenore)+ My other sisters car broke down, had to fix + I keep waking up with a pinched nerve. It sucks but it has given me alot of time for Whiteblaze, and the flashing lights and tracers are kind of cool too!
Just taking a moment for self pity, and apologies for any incoherant blathering in the past 2 days.

i'm up past my bed time too

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 15:57
percodan for me..

Oh dear lord...:rolleyes:

K2
04-08-2010, 20:19
I worked rotating shifts for seven years.

Ten years later, and I still sleep like**** K2

WalkingStick75
04-08-2010, 22:15
Many years ago I worked 3 day shift, 3 off, 3 afternoon, 3 off, 3 midnight, 3 off, 3 day shift....... now that shift sucked. Never knew day from night.

I feel for ya, cardboard over the window always helped me.

moldy
07-02-2012, 09:21
To the O.P., You are depressed, professional help sometimes will help.

Ender
07-02-2012, 09:46
FYI all, this is a very old thread that was brought back from the dead by a SPAM-bot. The OP is likely long over his insomnia by now.

Sailing_Faith
07-02-2012, 10:07
FYI all, this is a very old thread that was brought back from the dead by a SPAM-bot. The OP is likely long over his insomnia by now.

Actually, now that you fixed the spam post the thread is brought back to life by you. :)

(Ok, Moldy... You and now me!)

I have trouble sleeping so I walk at night.... (novel idea, I know). ;)