PDA

View Full Version : Planned Hike

wolf
08-10-2005, 19:15
undefinedTHIS IS I ? FOR ALL YOU HIKERS OUT THERE IM PLANNING A HIKE NEXT SPRING FROM MASS.2 TO BEAR MTN BRIDGE.NOW IF YOU WHERE ME AND YOU ARE COMING FROM PA NEAR PHILA.HOW WOULD YOU GET TO MASS#2 AND HPW WOULD YOU GET HOME AFTER GET TO BEAR MTN BRIDGE,WOULD YOU DRIVE TO NY OR TAKE TRAIN OR BUSE YOU ONLY HAVE 2 WEEKS TO FINISH IT HOW WOULD YOU DO IT ??????? AND CAN IT BE DONE IN 2 WEEKS TIME,AND IM IN GOOD SHAPE! :rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
08-10-2005, 20:06
The easy part: since you're in good shape, you'll have no problem covering this stretch in 2 weeks.

Logistics: I'd consider leaving my car at the Bear Mountain Inn. I haven't done so myself but I contacted the NY state park authorities who said it was OK. It's a large parking lot in the open in front of the Inn; I believe it's relatively safe. This way the car awaits you when you reach Bear Mountain.

There are 2-3 buses a day from Bear Mountain to NYC or you could take a cab to Peekskill for a train to NYC. From there, I believe you can take a bus to Williamstown or North Adams but this I'm less sure of. Check out Greyhound's web site.

Back to the hike: IMHO, having hiked most of this in the last year, the most difficult stretch by far is not the highest (Greylock), but St. Johns Ledges in CT - very steep but at least short. It follows a very easy and enjoyable flat stretch along the Housatonic River. Greylock is long but reasonably gradual. The rest of MA is easy until Rt. 23; I found the MA Rt. 23-to-Rt 7 stretch more difficult or at least time-consuming than I expected. You have a steep but managable ascent up the ridgeline to Mt. Everett, a steep rocky descent down Everett, then a nice walk to Race Mountain and Sages Ravine, both of which are worth spending some time. The northside ascent of Bear Mt, CT is steep but the southside descent is gentle.

CT from Rt. 7 to Rt. 4 is a roller coaster but then you get the nice Housatonic section before St. Johns Ledges.

NY is a lot of up-and-down but you'll make good time.

More details of my experience on these stretches is on my Trail Journals sites both 2005 and 2004.

SGT Rock
08-10-2005, 20:17
Hey Wolf, please do us all a favor, don't post in all caps - in netiquette that is considered yelling :D

Thanks.

smokymtnsteve
08-10-2005, 20:19
Hey Wolf, please do us all a favor, don't post in all caps - in netiquette that is considered yelling :D

Thanks.

Maybe he was talking to me and knows I don't hear well!