PDA

View Full Version : Water

Sweetspot
09-17-2013, 17:28
Does any one have a recent water report? I am heading out. This time starting south and heading north. Just didn't now if water was reliable. Thanks, Sweet Spot

TNhiker
09-17-2013, 17:35
water is wet........

it would be helpful to know what section you'll be on to get a more reliable report.....

RED-DOG
09-17-2013, 17:39
I can only speak of the GA,NC,TN sections it has been a wet summer and I have been hiking through out these sections all summer and water is plentiful through out those sections, and water in Southern VA shouldn't be a issue either. Good luck and happy hiking

Dogwood
09-17-2013, 19:21
You can count on water at all the PT shelters which are almost entirely in AL. One in GA at the GA/AL state line with water not far away. Also, on Mt Parkay's free PT mapset that can be previewed at and printed from the Pinhoti Trail Associations map link he lists quite a few usually reliable water sources that cross the trail. That should get it done for you. One note, Mr Parkay's mapset covers the PT starting at Bull Gap so you cant get maps from him(unless he's updated them lately) for the new 11.6 mile or so PT section from Trammel Speedway/Parkway TH(I believe it's sometimes referred to as the Rebeccaa Mt TH, this is the "official" southern terminus of teh PT as far as I've been able to ascertain) or the mostly FS dirt/gravel road walk to Trammel TH from Flagg MT.

Dogwood
09-17-2013, 19:22
Oh, for that new 11.6 mile or so section Water usually runs across the trail twice in those miles.

blisterbob
09-18-2013, 07:27
Does any one have a recent water report? I am heading out. This time starting south and heading north. Just didn't now if water was reliable. Thanks, Sweet Spot
Check out pinhoti trail alliance.org, click on site map and scroll down to the individual sections (numerically from south to north)
It hasn't been updated to show the 11.2 miles of woods trail on Rebecca Mtn, otherwise it is as accurate as any for showing
water sources and with over 50 inches of rain in E. Al. so far this year, You can count on the seasonal sources listed.

schlanky
09-18-2013, 10:43
Oh, for that new 11.6 mile or so section Water usually runs across the trail twice in those miles.

Do you recall a general area where those water crossings are----closer to one end or the other? more toward the middle?

blisterbob
09-18-2013, 12:14
Do you recall a general area where those water crossings are----closer to one end or the other? more toward the middle?
The only water sources I can confirm on Rebecca are within the first 1.5 miles of the 603A TH.
There are 2 or 3 seasonal sources in the hollows before the forest service rd.
and a reliable source that runs along the FS rd.
It has been reported there is another source about 300 yds. off the trail marked with blue ribbon about 2 miles from Bulls Gap.

schlanky
09-18-2013, 13:25
Thanks, blisterbob.

Drybones
09-18-2013, 17:16
The weather forecast shows rain and possible thunderstorms this Saturday so maybe the streams will be filled. There's supposed to be 40 or so of us camping at Turnipseed Saturday, I should be there also Friday night, if you see lights in valley come down and yogi the group.

Sweetspot
09-19-2013, 10:28
Thank for the info. I have all the maps. I probaly wasn't clear on what I was wondering about if there was any water sources that are dry. But like Blister Bob said 50 inches of rain and they should all be good.

marti038
09-20-2013, 09:13
There was good water in the first 1.5 miles or so at Rebecca Mountain in August. Of course, it was still raining a lot at that point and September has been very dry. It is a short enough section that you should be able to carry your own, but I guess that depends on how far you walk before and after section 3.

doritotex
09-20-2013, 09:39
I can only speak of the GA,NC,TN sections it has been a wet summer and I have been hiking through out these sections all summer and water is plentiful through out those sections, and water in Southern VA shouldn't be a issue either. Good luck and happy hikingHave you been out in the last couple of weeks? Things are starting to dry up around Hot Springs, we haven't had any rain in 3 weeks. It's supposed to rain this weekend, but it looks like we are in our fall dry period. We had a lot of rain this Spring but it doesn't keep the springs flowing all year.

blisterbob
09-20-2013, 13:31
There was good water in the first 1.5 miles or so at Rebecca Mountain in August. Of course, it was still raining a lot at that point and September has been very dry. It is a short enough section that you should be able to carry your own, but I guess that depends on how far you walk before and after section 3.
The 2 seasonal streams within the first mile of 603A were flowing yesterday as well as the reliable stream along FS 675.
Although these are close to the TH, I use that as an indicator to the rest of the streams in the area.