PDA

View Full Version : Traditional hiking boots or trail running shoes?

Ruthie 2014
09-17-2013, 23:52
Do y'all have any advice for me regarding footwear? I have always used traditional running boots in the past but have heard other people recommend trail running shoes for a thru hike. Also have never hiked longer than a few weeks section hiking at a time. Please advise!

Thanks!

ChinMusic
09-18-2013, 00:07
Footwear is such a personal thing. You will get varied opinions but what it comes down to is, what makes YOUR feet happy.

I just completed a thru using only trail runners and never had a blister. The PA rocks bruised up my feet a bit though.

johnnybgood
09-18-2013, 00:48
Like ChiMusic said, it is personal. What works well for one doesn't for another.

Go to a local outfitter and start trying on shoes and boots alike . Since I see you have an REI near you I'd go there, try on as many shoes/ hiking boots with a weighted backpack on , and walk around the store taking notice how each feel.

Buy a pair , break them good before your hike and if you find that they aren't the ones to make your feet happy simply return them to REI for a full refund.

T.S.Kobzol
09-18-2013, 09:02
I have tried a few times, unsuccessfully, to incorporate trail runners to my hiking.

I understand the logic and explanation of the current trend but it just simply doesn't work for me. I am much more comfortable in my boots. If I have my boots dialed in (I do) I don't get any blisters, my feet are drier and hurt less than when I use trailrunners or any other 'sneaker like' contraption. I think this is probably generational and cultural. I never really wore sneakers regularly as a kid and if I wear sneakers 5 times per year as an adult that would be a lot.

My last try was about a month ago on the Bold Coast Trail. I thought the terrain is less demanding than hiking in the Whites and thus trailrunners would be a good start for me. The bottom of my feet hurt from stepping on roots and rockhopping, I managed to twist my ankle once... these things never happen when I wear my boots.

I understand the enthusiasts when they say I need to condition my feet in trailrunners and that being in trailrunners eventually makes my ankles stronger but I just don't drink that cool aid. For my use the environment where I hike is better with wearing boots.

perrymk
09-18-2013, 09:31
Most of my recent hiking have been day hikes so take that into consideration. I've heard the strengthen-the-ankle argument and for years wore the low cut hiking shoe. For short hikes they work fine for me. However, as I increase the distance I notice more ankle soreness. It is especially bad after 10 miles or so. This is after years of 5-6 mile hikes with low cut shoes, and a daily habit of walking 2 miles in low cut shoes. I use insoles, either Superfeet or lately heat moldable SOLE. Last year I decided to try low boots (5 inch?) and noticed significantly less ankle soreness. So for short distances I use shoes, for longer distances I like boots.

As others have said, try out both and find what works for you.

FlyPaper
09-18-2013, 10:00
Do y'all have any advice for me regarding footwear? I have always used traditional running boots in the past but have heard other people recommend trail running shoes for a thru hike. Also have never hiked longer than a few weeks section hiking at a time. Please advise!

Thanks!

I switched from boots to trail runners a few years ago. I like the trail runners a lot better. It is a lot less weight on your feet, and you're able to use your ankles as the joints they're meant to be. I have had some soreness on the balls of my feet, but so far that's been much more bearable than the soreness in the upper leg that results from having to walk on unlevel terrain without freedom of ankle movement.

Also, someone mentioned ankle soreness, which I've experienced. I'm 47 years old and am well acquainted with the various kinds of soreness. There is a difference between being sore because of basic exercise and being sore because of strain and overuse. So far, all my ankle pain has all been a "good sore" telling my I've done some good exercise, but not reached overuse nor strained anything. I would expect after a week or so of hiking at the same pace my ankles would stop being sore.

When I wore boots, it always seemed that every hike my boots at least once saved me from an ankle sprain. But since changing to shoes, I've found I'm much less likely to find my ankles begin to roll. So far, no sprains in shoes even after nearly 200 miles of hiking in them.

If you're hiking in snow, or wading through lots of shallow water, boots might have more advantages. Also, I usually hike no more than 50 miles in a section. I'm not sure how fast shoes would wear out compared to boots.

I will say, there is something nice about using the same shoes on the trail that you wear to work and wear while traveling to the trail head. I don't have to worry about forgetting to pack my footwear.

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2013, 10:17
If you have strong feet(never a twisted ankle) and good calass' built up i would suggest a soloman show with high gators but as well a good wool sock not running socks

Nutbrown
09-18-2013, 10:21
Runners have done me well, and I also have started using poles. The poles have saved my ankles more than boots, I believe.

Grampie
09-18-2013, 14:35
Things to consider. A good pair of hiking boots will outlast several pair of trail runners. Boots give you more protection to your ankles and feet. Boots will keep your feet dryer when walking in snow and mud. In general boots have deeper legged soles that provide more traction. Running shoes are less expensive. Running shoes are lighter and do not require a break-in. Running shoes dry quicker than boots. Running shoes only last 300-400 miles. You can hike the whole AT with one pair of boots.

Drybones
09-18-2013, 17:08
When I switched from heavy leather hiking boots to trail runners hiking became much more fun. I'd say for me it's easier to hike 20 miles in the trail runners than 12 in the leather boots.

chilln
09-18-2013, 17:21
Runners have done me well, and I also have started using poles. The poles have saved my ankles more than boots, I believe.
^^I Second this.^^

MuddyWaters
09-18-2013, 20:10
Wear what you LIKE.

Basically, there is no need for boots on any trail with a light bodyweight and light pack.
Heavier people, and heavy packs may want a more substantial platform underfoot.

Much of peoples preference, is preference. Sometimes based in reality, sometimes not, sometimes psychological.

People hike in chacos as well.

Papa D
09-18-2013, 21:08
LaSportiva Trail Runners are the best AT shoes out there right now.
"Traditional Hiking Boots" are great for cold weather and slow trekking -
Lemmers are still pretty cool but totally retro - - I'm very old-school in
a lot of ways but there is really no argument regarding footwear - the lighter
non-gore-tex shoe rules these days.

Nooga
09-20-2013, 08:21
When I switched from heavy leather hiking boots to trail runners hiking became much more fun. I'd say for me it's easier to hike 20 miles in the trail runners than 12 in the leather boots.

I agree. One issue may be pack weight. Heavy pack = boots.

Coffee
09-20-2013, 09:12
I used heavy Asolo boots for many years for relatively short trips before switching to trail runners (Cascadia 7) this year for my John Muir Trail hike. The obvious benefit is the reduced weight and there is a huge difference moving from heavy boots to trail runners. I did not get blisters in my boots and did not get any in the runners so I'm neutral on that point. Overall, I was happy to have trail runners on probably 90% of the JMT. The 10% where I would have preferred boots was during walks on extremely uneven terrain mostly above treeline and, most significantly, at the Mt. Whitney summit area where most of the rocks had a light layer of ice the morning I reached the summit. That was the only time I felt like the runners were a safety issue.

I run marathons so my feet are generally well conditioned and I did not have problems with ankle support but I can see how that might be an issue for some. One other disadvantage, which I considered minor in light of the benefits, is that runners allow much more dirt to get through to my socks and then to my feet. My feet were filthy with dirt and dust after each day of hiking which would not be true with my boots. Most days that was easily remedied with a soak in a creek or lake.

AngryGerman
09-20-2013, 12:14
Your decision should be that of trial and error filled with a butt load of research. Don't be afraid to purchase shoes online to later return them if they don't fit; just check website return policies. I found that if you are going with a trail runner ensure that it has some sort of rock plate or stiff midsole that will protect your feet from the roots and rocks. If you have weak ankles I wouldn't recommend trail runners. I also found that approach shoes are generally better than trail runners because they have things like rock plates, sticky outsoles, low toe box lacing, etc. I used three pairs of Vasque Breeze GTX boots when on my last thru; not to heavy and extremely breathable. I purchased shoe repair glue and made toe boxes for all three pair; I also replaced the Vasque insoles with Dr. Scholl's 440 custom inserts. Making the toe boxes definitely aided in longevity and the 440's made my feet feel awesome every day no matter the mileage. My next LDH will be in something like the Vasque Mantra 2.0 trail runner/approach shoe or maybe the Salewa Firetail shoes, unless I do a winter thru. Good luck.

Deacon
09-21-2013, 05:51
Your decision should be that of trial and error filled with a butt load of research. Don't be afraid to purchase shoes online to later return them if they don't fit; just check website return policies. I found that if you are going with a trail runner ensure that it has some sort of rock plate or stiff midsole that will protect your feet from the roots and rocks. If you have weak ankles I wouldn't recommend trail runners. I also found that approach shoes are generally better than trail runners because they have things like rock plates, sticky outsoles, low toe box lacing, etc. I used three pairs of Vasque Breeze GTX boots when on my last thru; not to heavy and extremely breathable. I purchased shoe repair glue and made toe boxes for all three pair; I also replaced the Vasque insoles with Dr. Scholl's 440 custom inserts. Making the toe boxes definitely aided in longevity and the 440's made my feet feel awesome every day no matter the mileage. My next LDH will be in something like the Vasque Mantra 2.0 trail runner/approach shoe or maybe the Salewa Firetail shoes, unless I do a winter thru. Good luck.

What do you mean by "make a toe box?" Are you making the existing toe box larger, wider? Do you cut the shoe apart then glue it? Genuinely interested as I have a hard time finding shoes to fit my wide feet.

Water Rat
09-21-2013, 07:29

Thanks!

There is no wrong answer... It is definitely all about what works best for you and for your feet. I know some people who absolutely cannot stand wearing boots, and I know some people who wouldn't even think about wearing trail runners for hiking. Why not get some trail runners and see if they would work better for your feet? Hiking the whole trail is the same as linking section hikes - How did your boots feel when you were hiking? :)

Personally, I go back and forth between trail runners and Keens in the spring - fall months, and trail runners and my hiking boots in the winter months. It just depends on what feels right at the time.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2013, 07:52
There are all kinds of shoes.

My innov8 flyrocs have deeper lugs than most boots. I have never felt they were indequate. They do have minimal cushioning underfoot, which I like although at the end of a long day my feet may feel it. Feet are always 100% the next morning however.

Other trail runners barely have lugs at all, and have thick cushioning.

The only thing that is 100% correct, is that lighter is easier on you.

Every shoe or boot has tradeoffs. Weight, grip, fit, breathability, sole cleaning, etc. No right, no wrong, just different. What is preferred by one person, may not work for someone else.

middle to middle
09-21-2013, 21:18
I read the book by the girls who hiked barefoot. They did ok.

joshuasdad
09-22-2013, 09:09
Almost ready to replace my second pair of trail runners, getting 400-500 miles per pair as a section hiker. Cost is an issue for them, but with poles, I find them to be much better than boots, most of the time.

Trail runners do not protect those bones that project from your ankles if your foot goes between two rocks. Had a scar on my left ankle for about a year from one incident. Hit my right ankle pretty hard in Mahoosuc Notch two weeks ago, but it is mostly healed now.

Since you have hiking experience, I think you should at least try trail runners. It is wonderful going mostly blister/foot-pain free. But in Northern NH/Southern Maine, trail runners are a questionable choice. I'm getting by, barely.

Xristos
09-22-2013, 09:45
I don't want to hijack the thread but I've been thinking of downsizing from my full size boots. Would you guys recommend going to a mid first? I do like having some ankle support. Are there any recommendations from you guys on favorite mids and trail runners?

MuddyWaters
09-22-2013, 22:14
A mid wont give you ankle support.
For that matter, neither do your full size boots.

T.S.Kobzol
09-23-2013, 07:12
Not true. Maybe in some theoretical sense but I never twist my ankles in my boots but I do I my trailrunners.

On a similar note reading trail journals I noticed references to ankle twisting from people in trailrunners. One reference described half a dozen twists in one day.

Bumblebee Tuna

JohnG10
09-27-2013, 14:50
I have a weak ankle from previous sprains. I can definitely feel the much greater ankle support in my mids versus my trail runners. Boots are even more supportive for my ankle, and don't feel heavy or make me more tired at the end of the day --- but I seem to catch the toe of the boot on rocks and stumble a LOT more than with mids, so I guess lighter footwear does indeed make a difference even if its hard to feel it when walking around.

LuckyMan
09-27-2013, 15:13
I love my lightweight Moab Ventilator shoes and wish I'd switched to them or something like them years ago. When they get wet during a stream crossing, no big deal; they dry quickly, unlike old-school boots. With these I don't need camp shoes. I'll probably never wear heavyweight boots again, but I now carry a much lighter pack than I used to. Those who still carry heavy loads might need boots.
Whatever you buy, I highly recommend sizing them in person (best is late in the day after you've done some walking because feet swell during the day) and not buying a new brand online without trying them. I always wore a size 12, but with the Moabs I needed a 13 for the first time ever. The sales clerk at REI claimed that manufacturers' shoe sizes are arbitrary and meaningless - I always thought a certain size meant it was X centimeters or inches, but he claimed that there's no universal standard and that a size is whatever that particular maker says it is. Can that really be true?

Coffee
09-27-2013, 17:07
I love my lightweight Moab Ventilator shoes and wish I'd switched to them or something like them years ago. When they get wet during a stream crossing, no big deal; they dry quickly, unlike old-school boots. With these I don't need camp shoes. I'll probably never wear heavyweight boots again, but I now carry a much lighter pack than I used to. Those who still carry heavy loads might need boots.
Whatever you buy, I highly recommend sizing them in person (best is late in the day after you've done some walking because feet swell during the day) and not buying a new brand online without trying them. I always wore a size 12, but with the Moabs I needed a 13 for the first time ever. The sales clerk at REI claimed that manufacturers' shoe sizes are arbitrary and meaningless - I always thought a certain size meant it was X centimeters or inches, but he claimed that there's no universal standard and that a size is whatever that particular maker says it is. Can that really be true?
I would agree with the shoe sizing issue completely. I normally wear 11 1/2 for running shoes (Nike and Brooks Adrenaline GTS) and to account for swelling I went with a 12 for my trail runners (Brooks Cascadia). Well, it wasn't really enough. My big toes took a beating and although I had no blisters for about a week after my JMT hike, they seemed weirdly numb. Only now two weeks after finishing do they seem back to normal. I probably need 12 1/2 or 13 trail runners.

rmitchell
09-27-2013, 19:47
I read the book by the girls who hiked barefoot. They did ok.

Curiously, they carried a pair of trail runners.

Del Q
09-28-2013, 09:21
My experience, as a section hiker who averages about 12 miles per day, that equates to 25,000 - 30,000 steps. I found hiking boots WAY too heavy, also, they do not really provide ankle support. Ski boots do, not hiking boots.

What has helped me when hiking / training in between section hikes is hiking on the SIDES of hills (with a 35lb pack), not just going straight up and down, that has done more to strengthen my ankles than anything else.

No doubt, they do wear out faster. We live most / all of our lives in low top shoes, that is what our feet and bodies are used to.

LAF
12-01-2013, 20:21
Everyone is talking about trail runners vs. boots....where do "approach" shoes fit in? I used a pair of La Sportiva's for the approach to Aconcagua and loved them. Not sure of the mileage I would get out of them butt they definitely made for happy feet for a few days in and out. Plan on using the same for the AT but curious about differences if any from trail runners?

Demeter
12-03-2013, 07:31
I liked hiking in my trail runners, but the bottom of my feet killed me from rocks and uneven ground. And I can't stand anything around my ankles. A great middle-of-the-road shoe for me has been the Patagonia Drifter. The fit of a sturdy trail runner, but a thick Vasque sole that gives the bottom support of a boot. Much less weight, and a very roomy toe box so my feet don't feel pinched.

squeezebox
12-03-2013, 12:48
I have a cut nerve in my leg, with the obvious neuropathy. I need a stiff sole. Wish someone made a trial runner with a solid carbon fiber sole, like my bicycle shoes.

hikerboy57
12-03-2013, 12:54
Everyone is talking about trail runners vs. boots....where do "approach" shoes fit in? I used a pair of La Sportiva's for the approach to Aconcagua and loved them. Not sure of the mileage I would get out of them butt they definitely made for happy feet for a few days in and out. Plan on using the same for the AT but curious about differences if any from trail runners?
i use la sportiva ultra raptors with green superfeet

Deacon
12-03-2013, 13:29
I liked hiking in my trail runners, but the bottom of my feet killed me from rocks and uneven ground. And I can't stand anything around my ankles. A great middle-of-the-road shoe for me has been the Patagonia Drifter. The fit of a sturdy trail runner, but a thick Vasque sole that gives the bottom support of a boot. Much less weight, and a very roomy toe box so my feet don't feel pinched.

When selecting a trail runner to walk on rocks, A good test is to hold the shoe by the heel with one hand, and the toe with the other, and twist in opposite directions.

The more the shoe resists twisting, the easier it will be walking over rough terrain.

12-03-2013, 18:20
Do y'all have any advice for me regarding footwear? Yes prior to committing to a long distance hike wear your new foot ware in a creek, puddle or mud hole, get them soggy wet and NOW the most important part, walk them dry. This is something you will be doing over and over. See if your foot ware works. On the boot trail shoe issue I think most boots now are simply

12-03-2013, 18:23
I must have hit the enter?? most boots now are simply trail runners with some leather vs nylon. I real boot is a shoe that has a sown on sole that can be replaced. If the boot has a glued on sole it "to me" is just a fancy sneaker.

Nooga
12-04-2013, 13:04
I used Salomon XA Pros for my thru hike. However, if I ever hike PA again, I will use something with a stiffer sole.

Gonecampn
12-04-2013, 13:37
I used heavy Asolo boots for many years for relatively short trips before switching to trail runners (Cascadia 7) this year for my John Muir Trail hike. The obvious benefit is the reduced weight and there is a huge difference moving from heavy boots to trail runners. I did not get blisters in my boots and did not get any in the runners so I'm neutral on that point. Overall, I was happy to have trail runners on probably 90% of the JMT. The 10% where I would have preferred boots was during walks on extremely uneven terrain mostly above treeline and, most significantly, at the Mt. Whitney summit area where most of the rocks had a light layer of ice the morning I reached the summit. That was the only time I felt like the runners were a safety issue.

I run marathons so my feet are generally well conditioned and I did not have problems with ankle support but I can see how that might be an issue for some. One other disadvantage, which I considered minor in light of the benefits, is that runners allow much more dirt to get through to my socks and then to my feet. My feet were filthy with dirt and dust after each day of hiking which would not be true with my boots. Most days that was easily remedied with a soak in a creek or lake.

I wear Asolo's also. While doing a section hike on the BMT I got two blisters and tore an Achilles. A couple months later we decided to do a day hike in the Sipsey Wilderness. I decided to wear my regular NB Tennis shoes for comfort. We ended up going off-trail for about 5 miles. Never had I wished so badly that I would have worn my Asolo's!! I'm still game to try and actual pair of "trail" hiking/running shoe but for now, I'll continue wearing my boots :)

T.S.Kobzol
12-04-2013, 15:06
I must have hit the enter?? most boots now are simply trail runners with some leather vs nylon. I real boot is a shoe that has a sown on sole that can be replaced. If the boot has a glued on sole it "to me" is just a fancy sneaker.

+1

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur

leaftye
12-04-2013, 17:02
I hurt my ankle in high end leather boots. I switched to trail runners and haven't looked back.

jeffmeh
12-04-2013, 18:02
I hurt my ankle in high end leather boots. I switched to trail runners and haven't looked back.

+1. High boots really don't protect from popping an ankle. Quite the contrary, they make it more awkward to feel the ground and adjust, and they prevent the ankle from flexing to recover from a mis-step. If you have ankle problems, strengthening and improving mobility is key.

T.S.Kobzol
12-04-2013, 18:38
I never have ankle issues in my boots but I do in sneakers and trailrunners

jeffmeh
12-04-2013, 18:47
I never have ankle issues in my boots but I do in sneakers and trailrunners

I guess I should have added, "YMMV." I have rolled my ankles in custom Limmers as well as less heavy-duty boots, and have had similar situations occur in low trail shoes and recovered from the mis-step without an issue. And limiting ankle flexibility does not do my knees any favors. Choice of footwear is very personal. Whatever works. :)

T.S.Kobzol
12-04-2013, 18:48
I agree