PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Tarper

chall
09-18-2013, 12:54
Hi All,

In the quest to lighten my pack load, I ordered a tarp/bivy combo. I ordered the 6.5'x10' silnylon flat tarp from BearPaw, and the M90 bivy w/side zipper from Borah Gear (both John's were prompt with responding to emails and answering questions. Great customer service from both companies). Without guylines, stakes, and stuff sacks, the combo will be right around 19 oz. Really happy about that. :D

Now then, for the tarper's out there:

-What guyline lengths do you use for the ridgeline, corners, and side tie outs? I will probably mostly be pitching A-frames or half diamond configurations. Also, I did get 6 mini clamcleats for use with the ridgeline and corner guylines.

-From what I've read about the M90 fabric on the bivy top, it's very breathable. Any other tips (besides site selection and ventilation) to reduce/eliminate condensation in the bivy? I also ordered a polycro groundcloth from Gossamer Gear.

-Any other general tips?

When the items arrive, and I've had some practice setting the system up, I'll post pics. Can't wait to use it on my upcoming hike in Oct.

Thanks!

pyroman53
09-19-2013, 10:09
When you get the tarp, attach guys that are too long. Then set it up as high as you think you'll ever need it. Cut off excess.

I use a ridge line mostly run between two trees. It's not attached to the tarp. I think my line is about 40 feet long thus giving me plenty of opportunity to reach widely spaces trees or larger diameter trees.

I find it difficult to set up an a-frame with just poles. I could do it but at least one tree makes the pitch much better. Without trees it might be better to attach guy lines at ridge points rather than use a ridge line.

I'm not sure about half diamond.

Using a tarp, especially w/out bivy, is all about location, location, location. It's not rocket science though. Have fun with it and enjoy being able to see what's going on around you while sleeping.

Tuckahoe
09-19-2013, 10:30
Regarding condensation, I posted this link in another thread, but it wouldnt hurt to post it here as well --
http://johncwalton.com/WindowOutdoors/Dew%20Frost%20Condensation%20and%20Radiation.htm

I doesnt hurt to understand the science behind condensation.

This photo I took when i got my tarp for my hammock. I had set it up to seam seal it.

This was just a short term set up, but I used a 12' guy line, and as you may see I
in the photo it was pretty long. You may find that 6-8' works fine.

On my tarp, for tensioning the guy lines, I use loops attached to the tie outs, that then are attached to the guy line with a prusik knot. I have the prusik by the tie out rather than the stake to make Iit easier to tighten the tarp up, right at the tarp.

FarmerChef
09-19-2013, 10:31
I highly recommend you check out Sgt. Rock's website. He has a variety of tarp configurations based on weather/preference. I typically use a flying diamond that affords plenty of room and can be tucked down tight if the wind is really swirling or the temp drops sharply. We have never been wet from rain inside despite fitting 5 people, 1 dog and all our gear (10x12 rectangular tarp - silnylon). As for guylines, I typically use a 5 foot length to tie off the beak to a tree. The rest are almost all 3 feet or less as the rest of the tarp gets staked to the ground. If I do want to run a ridgeline for an a frame I have a 25 foot line and I do use one trekking pole for the flying diamond.

Pyro - I know what you mean. I've done the a-frame with two poles and it really took two people to set it up. I'm sure it CAN be done with just one but I would probably give up in frustration first. ;)

coach lou
09-19-2013, 10:37
I have a 25' ridgeline, 4 x 12' 2mm cords and 2 x 15' 2mm reflective cords. I use the reflective for the front, so I can get back to it at nite!

DLP
09-19-2013, 22:52
I have the 5'x10' silnylon flat tarp from BearPaw. I have used it 15 nights this summer and have experienced pouring rain, hail, and wind and I've been very happy with it.

This silnylon seriously stretches when wet. I've been setting it up in an A frame with a trekking pole (handle side down, pointy end up). I lengthen the pole to take up the slack in the middle of the night. Or sliding a flip flop or a rock or paperback under the handle also works and is easier.

The only thing that I've found to be a drag is that I pitched it VERY low in serious wind and rain. I'm was a little bummed for 7 mins in the evening and 7 mins in the morning because I couldn't sit up. However, I was very happy carrying it all day long and really glad not to have the weight of a tent. And I was dry and it did well in the wind during the night.

I sewed some bug netting along the edge of it and I don't use a bivy, can't help you there.

I was wishing for 2' more of line last summer. Now this summer, I have lines that are too long. I often feel like I'm living Goldilocks Goes Backpacking, in search of "Just Right". :)

Dogwood
09-20-2013, 00:51
I pitch A-frame most of the time. 7-8 ft on each ridgeline tie out and about 28" on the side tie outs. I pitch using trees, rock faces, fences etc or dedicated 2.6 oz tarp poles(for the pair) at the ridgelines. I like the extra line because 1) I like pitching high so as not to have to crawl under the tarp and so I can sit up under it 2) I like using trees to pitch higher than my dedicated tarp poles allow and sometimes those trees are large diam. and/or are further away. 3) I don't normally use trekking poles. I use no other hardware at the side tie outs(clam cleats, figure S's, Nite-Ize, line locks, etc. I use knots typically releasable and adjustable like: McCarthy Hitch, Bowliine (releasable), improved amended half hitch, Truckers hitch, etc on the side guy outs. This allows the side guy out lines to be adjusted for very high more breatable pitches when the weather isn't so bad yet allows me to adjust to storm conditions quickly. Play with it. See how playing with different heights of the ridgeline changes things.

Miner
09-20-2013, 21:30
As the designer of your tarp what they recommend. Otherwise, set it up the highest and widest that you think you'll use it and use that for the length. I tie the ends of all my guylines with a bowline knot and use that to wrap the line around the tieouts or stacks. You can loop another line around the loop end to extend a line if you need to. I only use 3 distances for the sides and corners when I set up my tarp. One, the lines fully extended, 2 with the lines doubled up (half length) so that both loop ends are on the stake, the other with the tarp directly staked down. The lines on the peaks are either full or half length.

chall
09-23-2013, 11:32
Thanks for all the replies! I'm really looking forward to experimenting with all these configurations.