PDA

View Full Version : Water Report Glasgow to Daleville

jimmyjam
09-18-2013, 15:21
Hi folkes. I just completed this section yesterday and while there is water in most places, some have dried up or are getting close to drying up. Going south from Glasgow: Matts Creek had water but was low, Marble Spring was flowing but not much, the next spring was dry, Thunder hill Shelter spring was dry as was the spring 100 yds further, the stream at the footbridge was down to a 6" wide x 1/4" trickle, Cornelius Creek had a little flow, Bryrant Ridge Shelter creek had decent water (nice shelter!) the streams south of Bryant were flowing, Jennings Creek was flowing good, no water at spring east of trail before Cove Mtn shelter and there has never been water at Cove Mtn shelter, there was barely water in the creek at Bobblets Shelter ( a dark creepy looking little shelter, there are good camping sites just south), there was a little water in the spring before Wilson Shelter, Wilson Creek had water, Curry creek had water, and the cistern at Fulhardt Shelter had nasty sewer smelling water ( I didn't see it, but was told this), and there was water in the creek from Troutdale into Daleville. So you may want to drink your fill when you find water and maybe haul a little more than you normally would, especially at the higher elevations as these are the sources that are drying up.Plan accordingly.:)

HikerMom58
09-18-2013, 15:28
That's a great report JJ. Colorado_Rob is heading that way right now. :>) Hummm... that Fulhardt Knob Shelter water sounds nasty. :-? No more rain in the forecast for our area until Sat. 40% chance of T-storms. It's perfect fall weather!! :)

jimmyjam
09-18-2013, 15:38
The weather for hiking was perfect! And I got to meet some early Sobo thrus: Friar, Yeah-Yea, and Smash.

HikerMom58
09-18-2013, 15:44
The weather for hiking was perfect! And I got to meet some early Sobo thrus: Friar, Yeah-Yea, and Smash.

VERY NICE, JJ... I think the SOBO's are starting to trickle down to VA.

I went to the Priest Shelter about a week ago...I hadn't been there before.... loved it! :) There's a ton of camping sites around.... Beautiful view too. The shelter needs a new log book, tho.

Studlintsean
09-18-2013, 16:12
VERY NICE, JJ... I think the SOBO's are starting to trickle down to VA.

I went to the Priest Shelter about a week ago...I hadn't been there before.... loved it! :) There's a ton of camping sites around.... Beautiful view too. The shelter needs a new log book, tho.

How was the water in the Priest Shelter area? I am heading that way soon. Thanks

Drybones
09-18-2013, 16:37
Thanks for the report, great info, I made notes on my guide book, headed that way in a couple of weeks.

HikerMom58
09-18-2013, 17:11
How was the water in the Priest Shelter area? I am heading that way soon. Thanks

No prob. Studlintsean..There wasn't much water.. just need to be patient when filtering at the shelter. The cool thing tho, the water source is right by the shelter. When you find a good water source-camel up. Have a great time!

Thanks for the report, great info, I made notes on my guide book, headed that way in a couple of weeks.

This is great!! ^^^^

virginia jen
09-18-2013, 18:04
Thanks for water report. I'm heading south from rockfish gap tomorrow night. Will make notes

jimmyjam
09-18-2013, 19:16
Thanks for water report. I'm heading south from rockfish gap tomorrow night. Will make notes

South from Rockfish Gap there is plenty of water at the first shelter, but I think that is only about 5 miles in. If you want to haul some water up humpback, there is a good campsite on the right with views toward wintergreen. This is about halfway between humpback( maybe a mile or mile and a half after the summit) and the BRP road crossing at Dripping Springs. There are two springs on the left side of the trail before the BRP.If they are dry the spring at the road crossing should be ok. From there it is an easy walk to Maupin Field Shelter. Do not take the "short cut " trail from Maupin field Shelter to the Tye River bridge, it is a steep, rock climbing, poorly marked trail. From the Tye river bridge up to the Priest it is a nice long long uphill that will seem to never end. Make the little side trail trip to Spy Rock- 360 degree views. Enjoy your hike.

virginia jen
09-18-2013, 20:56
Thanks, will do. Heading south to Bear Wallow Gap. Mau-har trail is fun, but I like our better heading north. Sticking to the AT this time around.

HikerMom58
09-19-2013, 13:04
Water situation is not good near and around the McAfee Knob section. Will try to help out...