PDA

View Full Version : This weekend will be my first time in the Whites... help!

Nar Nar
09-18-2013, 22:07
Today a buddy and I were sitting in class and randomly decided to take a trip this weekend to hike in the Whites. We both are fairly experienced backpackers, I've done the LT and my friend has done much of it as well. With that said, what should we expect? What would be some good routes to check out? We're going to drive up after school on Friday, spend the night near the car, hike all day Saturday, and then hike out and drive back on Sunday. Will a light fleece, a down jacket, some long underwear, a winter hat, a pair of shorts, and a 30 degree sleeping bag with a CCF pad (I don't have an underquilt) suffice to keep me warm in my hammock? I've heard hanging can be a challenge in the Whites, should I be concerned? Lastly, how much harder is the terrain compared to northern VT on the LT? Thanks guys, you guys always make preparing a hell of a lot easier :D

kayak karl
09-18-2013, 22:15
a friend just posted a pic. there was ice on the ground if that helps.

hikerboy57
09-18-2013, 22:33
where in the whites are you going?you can do a pemi loop, where you wont be sleeping at elevation.

nartreb
09-19-2013, 15:20
I'd pack a thicker bag than 30F, but you'll survive by wearing that clothing inside the bag. If you did the LT this time of year, you know what you're in for. Bring gloves!

What time will you reach your first trailhead? Finding a campsite in the dark is always fun.

I have zero experience rigging a hammock but finding trees will not be a problem.

How much elevation gain and mileage are you up for each day? Can't recommend a route without that info.

peakbagger
09-19-2013, 16:22
Current forecast is for rain Saturday night into Sunday AM, make sure your gear is ready for it. Lot to be said for camping down low and dayhiking up. Most campgrounds are open. Many camp on the unimproved campsites on the Gale river road or North Twin Road, no facilities and no fee. There are plenty of WMNF campgrounds along the Kancamangus highway (fee). Still thruhikers coming through plus college groups.

Possibly stay at Lafayette Place Campground on Friday Night. Hike up to Kinsman Pond Shelter and grab a space, then day hike North and south Kinsman. Stay at Kinsman Pond Shelter Saturday night and then hike down Cascade Brook trail to Lonesome lake and then back to car.

Alternatively, stay in near car in gravel pit on Jefferson Notch Road from the north end, then in the AM drive over to Lowes Store in Randolph then hike up to Gray Knob cabin ($20 each)and stay for the night then hike down via numerous trail options. Crag Camp is also nearby but no heat or insulation but great views.

Nar Nar
09-19-2013, 18:05
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't have a thicker bag than 30 degrees so I'm going to plan on wearing my clothes in the bag when I sleep. I think we are planning on going up Mount Adams, and then traversing over to Mount Jefferson, and then descending down and stealthing somewhere on one of the numerous side trails down there. Might go with something else though, we are undecided.

googlywoogly
09-19-2013, 18:19
This guy on youtube just finished a solo hike of the presidential. His videos are surprisingly watchable too. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947GEuHZbj4

Nar Nar
09-19-2013, 20:21
This guy on youtube just finished a solo hike of the presidential. His videos are surprisingly watchable too. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947GEuHZbj4
I'm huge fan of sintax77. I've seen just about every one of his videos, including this one.