PDA

View Full Version : Trailplace

Rasty
09-18-2013, 23:52
Anyone know what happened? It's gone.

max patch
09-19-2013, 00:15
Well, these things happen when the owner of the site hasn't even logged in for 6 months....

Stalking Tortoise
09-19-2013, 06:32
I haven't tried to call 7Sisters yet but here's my best guess:

Bob McCaw pre-paid for three years of hosting before turning the site over to 7Sisters. If I was a bettin' man, I'd say that the three years were up and 7Sisters decided to walk away from it. The last I spoke to 7Sisters, he was unemployed and still searching for work.

The shame of it is that several people expressed interest in taking over the site. If it's not renewed, the domain name will be available but the content will evaporate into the digital atmosphere.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2013, 06:41
hmmmm. maybe i'll buy it

daddytwosticks
09-19-2013, 07:14
hmmmm. maybe i'll buy it Buy the domain name but re-name the forum, "It's Just Walkin'". :)

John B
09-19-2013, 07:44
hmmmm. maybe i'll buy it

That would be seriously awesome.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2013, 07:50
The activity, new theads and posts tanked a long time ago... shame.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2013, 07:51
I haven't tried to call 7Sisters yet but here's my best guess:

Bob McCaw pre-paid for three years of hosting before turning the site over to 7Sisters. If I was a bettin' man, I'd say that the three years were up and 7Sisters decided to walk away from it. The last I spoke to 7Sisters, he was unemployed and still searching for work.

The shame of it is that several people expressed interest in taking over the site. If it's not renewed, the domain name will be available but the content will evaporate into the digital atmosphere.

how are you keeping in touch - I haven't hiked with him in a few years.

Stalking Tortoise
09-19-2013, 09:28
how are you keeping in touch - I haven't hiked with him in a few years.

I have his cell number but he hasn't answered my last few calls - they went to voice mail and no reply was made.

Deer Hunter
09-19-2013, 10:32
It's back online.

stranger
09-21-2013, 10:39
Well like it or not, or like him or not...without Trailplace and Wingfoot, there would be no Whiteblaze. I knew once Wingfoot stepped away that it would go downhill, and to be honest it wasn't that great from about 2001-2002 anyhow. Wingfoot did plenty for the AT community, and I always felt his 'Handbook' was the best guide out there, had the most reliable information with the best format IMO.

Times change...perhaps it's best to leave Trailplace where it belongs, in the past. I do like to ride the nostalgia train, and fondly remember hanging out at Wingfoot's house in Hot Springs in 1995, very cool times, drinking beers and just being psyched to talk to a trail legend in person...the same guy banned me from his site in 2002, what can you do?

capehiker
09-21-2013, 11:01
The old Trailplace was the first one stop for all things AT. Forums, informative articles, and my favorite part, journals. Despite being banned by Wingfoot after the election in '02, I still submitted his name for the AT HoF induction for his work with Saddleback mountain and his guides. I've visited Trailplace once new ownership took over and I think the missing piece to its continued success was that the colorful characters sought a new forum (Whiteblaze) and it never recovered.

I don't think members new to online AT discussion forums realize the impact Wingfoot had on the AT as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Alligator
09-21-2013, 11:18
Trailplace is up and running, I think the issue was fixed a few days ago.