PDA

View Full Version : Looking for interchangeable pack bag with frame.

Terry7
09-19-2013, 07:17
Saw this pack on the trail this year. It had a frame with hip belt pockets and shoulder straps. You could use any size dry bag as your pack. Tried looking on the net and cant find it. This is close but not the one Im looking for. http://paradoxpacks.com/ultralight-backpacks/

RockChucker30
09-19-2013, 07:35
Hi Terry, I'm one of the founders at Paradox Packs and can answer any questions you may have.

The pack you may be thinking of could be the ULA Epic. There aren't that many dedicated dry bag haulers on the market.

FWIW, I think our pack stacks up very well to any other on the market. They are very durable and have a much larger load comfort window than most.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2013, 07:36
.........................beat me to it.

Slo-go'en
09-19-2013, 10:53
I met a guy this year who had an alumimum frame with dry sacks lashed horizontally on it. Three sacks, stacked on top of each other. I forget if he said he bought it or made it him self.

You might try looking around at the yard sales and thirft stores for an old alumimum frame pack to use as the base. The frame is usually pretty light, it's the bag and straps which are heavy. I have a couple of old aluminum frames and have been thinking of doing something like that myself.

Slosteppin
10-03-2013, 20:46
Slo-go'en, you are describing a LuxuryLite system. Check here: http://www.luxurylite.com/stackpackindex.html Interesting but expensive.

krazykiddjoe
12-16-2013, 09:27
I like the looks of the paradox system, it looks like a lightweight version of the Hillpeoplegear.com setups. I like my HPG kit bag for a day hike with a small hydration pack, I carry it when I am hiking with a larger pack too and it balances things out. I like the modularity of their pack system but weight was a concern. At this point tho, the paradox is even too heavy for what I am seeking.

HeartFire
12-16-2013, 22:09
http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1custom%20packs/gearskins/gearskin.html

leaftye
12-17-2013, 07:26
The Paradox pack is the first pack like this I've seen with side pockets and a front pocket.

Tri-Pod Bob
12-17-2013, 14:48
I met a guy this year who had an alumimum frame with dry sacks lashed horizontally on it. Three sacks, stacked on top of each other. I forget if he said he bought it or made it him self.

You might try looking around at the yard sales and thirft stores for an old alumimum frame pack to use as the base. The frame is usually pretty light, it's the bag and straps which are heavy. I have a couple of old aluminum frames and have been thinking of doing something like that myself.

+++ on this. I had my old BS Skyline aluminum frame (canvas is long gone) still hanging around from my trip to Philmont Scout Reservation in New Mexico back in 1971. I have a remote, primitive campsite out in the 'back 40' that I spend a lot of time in to practice my bushcraft/woodsman skills & rig up the frame with whatever materials/supplies I need. I load them into a weaved basket/dry bags/stuff sacks & strap them on. A larger tool, like an axe or rifle, is just lashed to the side. This set-up can carry a very heavy load (up to 150 lbs), though I would never carry that much, even 3/4 mile to my site. The frame itself, including original shoulder straps/waist belt, is less than 2 lbs. In winter, the heavier stuff goes into a pulk & the frame carries clothing, winter tarp & hammock/underquilt.