PDA

View Full Version : sobo and nobo thru's...would you have gone the other direction if you could?

Nutbrown
09-19-2013, 13:10
Because I can't do it right now, or for a while, I've started to plan for a future thru hike. I've been a section hiker for many years, and never really thought about a thru hike until recently. When I wrapped my brain around the idea, and figured out for myself that it is a possibility and not some cockamamie dream, it settled in like an old sweatshirt.

Right now, I think I'll plan my thru for when I'm 50. In a staggering 13 years. That will give my kids time to grow up and away, My husband and I time to figure it out on a personal level, and to have my finances where they need to be.

My first call for wisdom is simple. What direction? I am going to plan like I will succeed, so in that, which way to go? The summit at Katahdin seems like the perfect culmination. The exclamation mark at the end of my story. In contrast, the plaque at Springer....seems lacking. Kind of like the period at the end of my story. The crowds are a mark against going nobo. I'll be head and shoulders older that many of the other hikers. Age never makes much of a difference, but I wonder if it would. The more solitary hike sobo would fit me more too.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Lone Wolf
09-19-2013, 13:17
i've done 4 NOBO and 1 SOBO. i would never do a NOBO again

Pendragon
09-19-2013, 14:14
I started my NOBO section hike onApril 1st this year, usually the busiest time, and I was almost always alone on the trail, joining the crowds in the shelters whenever I didn't want to set up my personal hammock. And there were many nights I had a shelter all to myself, or shared it with only one or two people. You don't have to "suffer" a crowd if you want solitude that badly; I enjoyed lots of it.

Pendragon
09-19-2013, 14:22
Oh, and that hike was to Damascus, and I turned 58 when I got back. Age was not a factor socially, even though most of my fellow hikers were half my age. If you can handle those killer ascents and descents, I say go for it. It was the most painfull yet exilerating time in my life, and I really hope one day to finish the whole thing one day.

max patch
09-19-2013, 14:32
The weather is better on a NOBO so that is the preferred way to go in my opinion unless your personal circumstances require a summer start date. There are ways to avoid the crowds if you want to. The differences between finishing at Springer or Katahdin would carry no weight with me regarding direction.

FarmerChef
09-19-2013, 14:38
Everytime I go steeply up NOBO I wish I was going SOBO. Vice versa the other way ;)

Studlintsean
09-19-2013, 15:39
Everytime I go steeply up NOBO I wish I was going SOBO. Vice versa the other way ;)

As a felow sectionhiker I find I more often think "I would hate to go up this hill" as im going down it.

bear bag hanger
09-19-2013, 16:23
There is a lot to recommend your hike go north. Rarely are you in the sort of physical shape you need to be for a thru hike, so it makes sense to start on the easiest side. I did a nobo in 2004, tried a sobo in 2006 and failed pretty early on. I had a lot of trouble getting up Mt Katahdin, then broke my wrist about a week later in a fall in the 100 mile wilderness. Plus, if you do a sobo, you have to wait until about June 1st for the weather to clear and the authorities to allow you to go to the top of Mt Katahdin, whereas you can usually start as early as late February or early March for a nobo. If you don't mind the cold, you could start a nobo even earlier, but not a sobo.

LIhikers
09-19-2013, 16:43
How about having your cake and eating it too?
Start in Harper's Ferry and go NOBO, then go back to Harper's Ferry and go SOBO.
I've met quite a few people in the last few years who have done that and 100% of them said they were glad they did it that way.
Just another option to consider.

VTATHiker
09-19-2013, 17:17
I went sobo and never, ever had the thought: "gee, I wish I went nobo". That said, I'm at my best in small groups and I get a thrill out of hiking in cold, wet weather. Since I've never done a nobo thru I can't comment on which one I think is better. As far as ending at Springer is concerned, if you make it that far you'll realize that it doesn't matter how big the last mountain is. If anything, at the end of a sobo you'll be very happy that Springer is NOT Katahdin.

RED-DOG
09-19-2013, 17:28
I have completed the AT three times, 96 Flip-Flop, 06 NOBO, 2012 NOBO, When I do the AT again it will be a SOBO, the reason is I like the more solitude and I have never done a SOBO, I feel their is way too much Competitiveness and Arrogance among the NOBO's, such as I can go faster than you I can go lighter than you, Everybody is trying to be the first NOBO thru-hiker to reach Katahdan, no I don't think I will ever do another NOBO again.

truthisnature
09-19-2013, 19:21
When I realize my dream of a thru hike in several years I am planning on starting in PA late March and going south then up to Maine and heading south...Start and finish close to home on turf I am already familiar with. Plus I read that going that way you are heading into the warmer weather and avoiding alot of possible snowy days/nights. I hope that is right. I too am not one for crowds in the woods....the trails are my escape.

MuddyWaters
09-19-2013, 20:15
What are your thoughts and experiences?

What are your reasons for wanting to thru hike? In 13 years you can section hike the trail a couple of times if you tried hard.
There are all kinds, thats why we have so many different flavors of ice cream.
You cant plan 13 yrs in advance. You can put it off for 12 years, and then plan it however.

Just dont forget to live right now. Tomorrow doesnt always come for everyone.

If it were me, Id complete section hiking the trail, or as much of it as you care to, and then worry about what to do 13yrs from now, in another 12 yrs. The AT isnt the only long trail out there.

4shot
09-19-2013, 20:44
I went nobo because I didn't want to sit around and wait to start. You can start in march vs. July which is what I wanted. I have never sobo'd. to me the pro's of this hike are...you miss (more of) the brutal heat. the cons of a sobo...the wait that I have mentioned. If I thru hiked again on the AT, I might try a sobo just to mix it up. You will not regret your hike regardless of which direction you go..

jj2044
09-19-2013, 21:03
I have completed the AT three times, 96 Flip-Flop, 06 NOBO, 2012 NOBO, When I do the AT again it will be a SOBO, the reason is I like the more solitude and I have never done a SOBO, I feel their is way too much Competitiveness and Arrogance among the NOBO's, such as I can go faster than you I can go lighter than you, Everybody is trying to be the first NOBO thru-hiker to reach Katahdan, no I don't think I will ever do another NOBO again.
Are you the same Red-Dog that told me I should "dig a little deeper" when I argued MOST people don't make it to Franklin in 6 days ??? now you spouting BS about nobos " Competitiveness and Arrogance " ??? HAHA.. you're such a joke.

Slo-go'en
09-20-2013, 01:55
Your first thru should be NOBO. You really don't want to miss out on seeing spring wild flowers in the south and the fall colors in the north.

Nutbrown
09-20-2013, 08:13
Muddy, I will continue to section each year. Maybe the thru will end up being a few long sections, but why not dream? Why not have a long term goal? If it is wonderful that a child grows up wanting to be an engineer, is it so bad that I want to start thinking about a thru when my time will allow it? The child does not forget to play in between those years, and I am not just going to hang it up for 12 years either. Planning isn't a bad thing, even if you never get there. Sometimes the thrill of the idea keeps us going.

wookinpanub
09-20-2013, 09:04
I started my SOBO very early and was alone the entire time. I probably wouldn't recommend it for most, but it's what I needed at the time. I grew up in Florida and my reason for going SOBO was to be hiking toward home instead of away from it. There were times, psychologically, where that was the only thing that kept me going. I see that you're from NC so it could factor into your motivations, as well. Personally, I would not thru-hike any way but SOBO. Don't worry about waiting 13 years. I dreamed for 17 years before I pulled the trigger. Read everything you can on the subject and collect as much info as possible. Good luck with your dream.